Why is my package manager trying to remove fucking everything?

Why is my package manager trying to remove fucking everything?

can't you read?
>the following packages are no longer required

only a retard will reply to you

Of course fucking gnome mahjongg isn't required you shit
Doesn't mean default behavior should be removing it

You've removed a package which depended on all these directly or indirectly.

Like ubuntu-desktop

It didn't remove anything.

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop

you illiterate
it tells you that shit is not required
it literally tells you
>use sudo apt autoremove to remove them
would you kindly hang yourself?

> It didn't remove anything.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I had meant to say was, the default behavior for dependencies should be that any program that can run on its own should not be added to auto remove list when a package that it itself was a dependency of was removed. I guess it's simple enough reason for this Behavior would be , for example, installing a desktop environment. When you install something like the full gnome Suite, it is completely understandable that uninstalling this would remove what came with it, but that doesn't really work as an argument because uninstalling the full gnome Suite is not going to restore your system to the same way it was before you installed it.

I feel like he knows what's going on, which is indicated by the word "trying" in the OP.

Microsoft Windows 10™ does not have this GNU/problem, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus problem.

When you install a package as a dependency, i.e. anything not installed manually but pulled in, it's marked as auto installed. When the package(s) that pulled it in are removed, the dependencies are marked for autoremoval. This is so you don't have to manually track down and remove every package that other packages no longer depend on.

>system gets nuked by apt
>Switch to Gentoo
>Portage never has this problem

Yeah, no it actually should. That's proper package manement.

Wtf do you mean, how does your precious system react to removing an only dependency on a non-manually installed piece of software?

it is not trying it though?
it tells you that these are not needed and you "can" remove them if you want to
that's why i call him illiterate because he implies it goes and deletes shit

It's not a problem though. OP is apparently misinterpreting what is going on. He installed a DE and it pulled in a bunch of dependencies. When he tried to uninstall it the dependencies were orphaned. If he wants to remove them he can use apt autoremove to remove them like the instructions clearly state.

OP here. My system isn't nuked, tard. It's just a bad package manager option that I'm of course not going to go through with before marking the obvious necessary ones.

There's no functional difference between adding a flag to apt or adding && sudo apt autoremove at the end. OP is arguing over semantics.

because you didn't install gentoo

emerge -c

I did report something like it on #debian, I mean, #cancer. It's a major design flaw, if you try to remove "xfburn", it will flag the entire xfce as useless. Neither pacman/dnf/yum would do that.

apt not even once

dnf/yum both shit themselves when you try to remove an entire DE at least in my experience. I think it's just too difficult for these package managers to separate the base and packages from one another

You can simple edit out xfburn as a dependency of the xfce metapackage and it'll remove fine. You can do this for any package, so be careful and make sure it isn't an actual dependency, just bundled as one.

You can do that in Gentoo. It will want to put xfburn back in, but doesn't harass you more than that. Then you can tell it to assume xfburn is installed, whether it has its files or not.

But it's a serious issue, since xfburn is just a random cd burner. It shoudn't trigger the entire removal of xfce. Also If you try to remove "lightdm" (or any other default package) it will flag almost the entire system as useless, so 'apt-get autoremove' would break it.

>it will flag almost the entire system as useless
this is just apt doing something right for once

>It shouldn't trigger the entire removal of xfce.
Blame xfce for making xfburn a hard dependency instead of a recommend. This is a common problem with package maintainers, not apt.

Nope, it wont do on fedora, arch, manjaro.
It's a apt bugged thing called metapackage.

Windows doesnt have this problem

>install package along with many dependencies
>uninstall said package
>"these packages came with the package you just uninstalled, do you want to uninstall them too?"

not hard to understand OP

>apt

every fucking time

This looks a lot like a Linux distro running metal on a laptop, which would be very odd and not really a supported setup. You can't be too surprised when things go wrong; Linux isn't meant for this. Swap it out for Windows and things should work a lot better.

If I'm misinterpreting and you're ssh'd into something, just reimage and redeploy. It's quicker. I think it's running metal though, I don't know why you would have all this DE stuff on a server.

no, it breaks dependencies all on its own now.

Actually it does faggot.

well this "problem" is actually intended functionality

so yeah your post is correct

It works very nicely in every respect besides system management (package managers and such).

>x100e
how's that lapburn user

>Having the dual core model
How's that lack of ability to research what you buy, user?

...there's a dual core x100e? prove it

I have a x120e

>chinkshit garbage

>all those dependencies for a desktop environment
honestly do ubuntucucks use linux just so they can say they use linux to sound cool?

If you don't want the features of meta packages (i.e things get auto installed as dependencies, and auto cleanup if removed) then DON'T USE THE META PACKAGES YOU RETARDS.
Install the packages stand alone, or go and mark the ones you want kept as 'manually installed'.

user you goofed what did you do to mess up apt so badly

>ubuntu can't replace lightdm with gdm without ruining the whole system

>running windows
ha ha, good one

kek
that happens when you use debian

>tum
niggers don't actually name their children this, r-right?

I'm pretty sure the default/proper behavior for dependencies is that when you install an application that requires dependencies that are also installed, those dependencies remain on the system after uninstalling the application but become marked for removal, because the application(s) that depended on them are no longer present.

If you still use them then don't autoremove them, infact if there is a package in the autoremove queue you want to keep just apt-get install it.

because you're using ubuntu.

I'm not sure what you removed to trigger this, but if you copy past all of that in apt-get install it will fix the issue.

PSA: everyone remove "whoopsie" telemetry bullshit on all you're ubuntu boxes

If you want all that stuff apt-get install it. It will then be marked as manually installed.

I started with Ubuntu but shit like this is why went distro hopping until I found Arch. apt-get is a slow and unruly piece of shit

i can't spoiler here user but it's short for tummy