What' the best OS for a programmer?

What' the best OS for a programmer?

Windows

Depends.

Linux, no exceptions

you already posted it

This is like asking what the best plane is for a pilot.

owo

The one in the picture.

If you're doing something OS specific shit, that's the OS you want to use, obviously. Otherwise Linux is best.

>buy mac (mac mini is $500)
>multiboot all three
>cross-platform development on a single machine justifies the cost of a mac in the long run

You don't deserve those digits.

Windows because of Visual Studio

this
fuck off OP
who gives shit?

Node OS

on what

Looks like a fidget spinner.

Mac OS
You have full package real terminal, apps, system which works out of the box with a possibility to do nearly everything.

well considering that mac and linux cant play games, windows is the best os for a pro gamer

literally anything but windows

If you're developing WPF applications, I'd say go for Arch. WinRT? Definitely OpenSUSE.

UNIX-based is a lot easier to work with (Mac, Linux), but if you're programming games you may want to have access to windows; you can always dual-boot or run a VM for that though.

Programmer ought to be familiar with all three.

I'm an unemployed code monkey who uses linux and my friend makes over 130k a year as a senior team member for some cloud focused company that just cranks out java. He uses Windows 10 for productivity.

>>mac and linux cant play games
what?

this, you can't pick one because throughout your work you'll have to use all of them. I recommend Windows for C# programming only, everything else is better on macOS and Leenugs
show us your desktop then shilly mc shill

OpenVMS.

Depends what you want to do.

I personally find it comfier to develop under GNU/Linux rather than Windows, but there are some things I prefer to work on under Windows (audio-related stuff mostly, because the audio system of GNU/Linux is uttermost shit)

personal preference mostly.

it's not working like buy apple \ install gentoo and get +10 intelligence

>What' the best OS for a programmer?
macOS.

Just go on Github and look at the screenshots of most popular projects there. 90% of them are macOS.

Go on YT and watch talks/conferences for your favorite CS subject. 90% of them are Macs.

Even AlphaGO team runs on Macs.

the 737 dipshit

MacOS for employed programmers
Any Linux distro for hobbyists
Windows for fanboys

Normally you don't test on the same device you develop on. For games, a windows box is cheap enough that it's not a big deal to have a dedicated machine.

OSX and linux are fairly similar, windows is just garbage.

>OSX
OSX can suck a dick

You sound frustrated. Want to talk about it?

Trips of wisdom

Your own image shows that windows is the majority.

OS X.
It's basically a Linux distro built around comfiness

That was true a few years ago, Apple have really let their desktop platform fall apart from neglect.

Now its:
GNU/Linux for serious work.
MacOS X if you need to support iOS.
Windows for troubleshooting Trident shit.

What ever works and is required for the task at hand

I was mac and the bsd tools piss me off. the subtle differences between them and gnu equivalents fuck me over regularly. e.g. today I had to get the absolute path of a file and "readlink -f" didn't work. had to install gnu readlink via homebrew

wtf

>Linux for serious work

>ganoo shit isn't included in a BSD OS
>but you could install them with a simple command
>somehow this is a problem

fucking noob

look at the end

I did. Windows 7, 10 and 8 make up over 50% as of 2016. OSX has only climbed 8% since 2013 to roughly half the share of windows.

programming on windows is suffering so definitely linux.

Unless you're a one language IDE baby

Pardon, but I'd just like to correct you for one short while. What you're saying is Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I just the other day began to call it, GNU + Linux. Linux is not an OS by itself, but really another free section of a completely working GNU system fashioned into something proper by the GNU libraries, terminal facilities and essential system components fulfilling a full OS.

A sizeable amount of computer holders operate a flavor of the true system everyday, but do not realize it. By a unseen happenstance, the edition of GNU installed these days is often called Linux, and a substantial number of its holders do not know that it is really the GNU system, made by GNU.

There is in fact a Linux, and this population do have it installed, but it is but a part of the system they use. Linux is a kernel: the part of the system that distributes the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an OS, but relies on the rest of the system; it is only operational in the structure of a fully developed OS. Linux is commonly installed in combination with the GNU OS: the whole system is really GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. All of the alleged Linux releases are really releases of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

No

>Windows is the best operating system because of visual studio which is the best IDE
That and it just works and plays games :)

it's unix though.

Mac OS is the most powerful operating system in the world.

It's a unix for normies. Linux is better for the general programming due to the tools and repos. Mac OS X and Windows are better for those who program for these operating systems or related such as iOS.

Yes, they differ a bit, you have to get used to it because there're also embedded platforms and Android which use very limited set of tools such as Toybox, etc.

They are all fine except iOS.
Mac, linux, and bsd have nice tools built in, and a sane filesystem.
Windows has lots of good DEs.
Android can be adapted to have all the same advantages as linux.

Use what you enjoy OP.

linux linux linux

linux unless you're a cuck

>due to the tools and repos

Such as?

>
>I did. Windows 7, 10 and 8 make up over 50% as of 2016. OSX has only climbed 8% since 2013 to roughly half the share of windows.
Macfags literally can't into graphs lmao, he just ignores all the other versions of windows and sees windows 7 is lower than osx. You can't make this shit up

Plan9

Arch Linux of course

Windows