/spg/ - Smartphone General - Essential Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Andy Rubin's Essential phone unveiled with unique edge-to-edge screen
gsmarena.com/essential_phone_unveiled_unique_edgetoedge_screen_modular_photography-news-25311.php

Exclusive: This is the Essential Phone
theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

The Essential Phone doesn’t consider a headphone jack essential
theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711282/essential-phone-no-headphone-jack

First look at LG V30 shows Full Vision display, new color
gsmarena.com/first_look_at_lg_v30_shows_full_vision_display_new_color-news-25312.php

Nubia Z17 Launched With 8GB of RAM, Bezel-less Design & Snapdragon 835
gizmochina.com/2017/06/01/nubia-z17-launched-8gb-ram-bezel-less-design-snapdragon-835/

Moto Z2 Play goes official along with new Moto Mods
gsmarena.com/moto_z_play_2_goes_official_along_with_new_moto_mods-news-25374.php

HMD confirms Nokia 6, 5 and 3 will get Android O
gsmarena.com/hmd_confirms_nokia_6_5_and_3_will_get_android_o-news-25372.php

Huawei P10 Lite review
gsmarena.com/huawei_p10_lite-review-1617.php

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Prime-Exclusive-Phones/b?ie=UTF8&node=14613304011
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck moto
they still havent given me some nougat.

Which phone?

will i regret buying the op5 asap? i've got the opo a few months after the launch and it still works alright its just getting a bit fucked all over
has the op3/t had any annoyances day 1?

Went into EE yesterday. Contracts are bullshit.
>tell him I want to pay under £20 a month because muh universities
>comes at me with >£27/month
fucking great, at this point I have so little faith in phones that I might just jump for a Redmi Note 3.

Who the fuck designed this pos?
looks uncomfortable and stupid,

but muh no bezel meme

Just get a PAYG sim

>country
USA

>carrier
AT&T

>wanted features
I want performance. I don't want my phone to slow down after a couple months. I would like to be able to root and load a custom rom, but stock isn't a deal breaker. A phone with support for quick charging is also a nice plus.

>budget
Not a concern. I am due for an upgrade in two weeks and on top of that I don't pay for my my phone. Daddy warbucks does while i'm at university

>size
Currently have an LG V10 and I quite like the larger screen. I also like the size of my gf's iphone 7 plus but I will not get an iphone.

I am currently leaning towards S8 plus as it seems to be getting raving reviews all over the internet.

Actually that's really not a bad idea at all.

How much do you reckon i could sell an iPhone 5S for now?

£100 maybe, I'd check eBay and Gumtree etc. to get a better idea what people are selling theirs for

> No 3.5mm jack
> No sdcard
> No Qi

Into the trash it goes. . .

Seems like Redmi Note 4 with a giffgaff £12pm SIM will be just fine.

>buy new sim only plan a while ago
>€28 for unlimited minutes/texts and 5gb data
>because its at the ISP i already have i get €5 off and double everything
>get an email last week they're doubling data for all their plans and up the price for new plans
>tfw i get 20gb for €23 a month now

p sweet
i don't know how this compares to other countries

>I want performance. I don't want my phone to slow down after a couple months. I would like to be able to root and load a custom rom
Wouldn't get a Samsung then, even with a SD835 the S8 still has lag and their phones are a real pain to unlock/root. Wait for the OP5.

>Redmi Note 4
make sure you get the Global version with SD625 and B20 (800mhz)

I'm on a Moto G5 right now and had Nougat out the box

>not still using the best moto

After looking over the released specs it looks very promising as far as performance goes (8 Gigs of ram!).

I think this is what i'll be watching out for, thanks user.

wow, thats really good. I bet its a shitload faster than my data ever was.

>no microsd
>no headphone jack
>not water resistant

luhmayo

110 mbps according to fast.com right now

I bought a moto g5 plus to replace my donked nexus 6 and i fucking love the little thing but for some reason the backplate has a tiny black pockmark on it and theres a small scuff on the inside of the chrome bezel

does best buy sell open box merchandise as new or is this just because its a budget phone and the manufacturing isnt perfect, plus the packaging is just the phone sitting loose in a cardboard box?

fug... I had technically "unlimited" data on boost, which is a mvno of sprint, but i couldn't get to 1.5 gb a month because it was so slow as to be unusable.

my metropcs is pretty quick, but we dont have as high of a limit as you do bro. jelly as fuck.

I think the first option is more likely than the second. Also my Moto G5 was sitting in a cardboard holder thingy, not just loose in the box. Did yours have a protective film on the screen out of the box like pic related?

i'm so used to having fuck all data on 3g though i have no idea what the fuck i'm meant to do with 20gb a month

>835
>stereo speakers
>6"+
>pure Android

When

once i got Metro, and actual decent speeds, i used it for Spotify when I'm in the car. i use the shit out of it.

>tfw I pay 20€ for unlimited minutes, texts and data

Just got a Xperia Z2. Its branded, so I'm going to flash it. Which Android version should I use?

I remember 4.2 was pretty good, it turned shittier from then.

What's a good $160-$180 phone? I'm coming from a MT6752 phone from 2 years ago with an Antutu of 42K, I'm hoping to get something more powerful. An SD 625 like Redmi Note 4 is a bit weak since it's only 62K. It does not look like a decent upgrade. Is a Redmi Note 3 Pro better?

The Apple iPhone 7 Plus doesn't have this problem.

What are your biggest deal breakers when choosing a smartphone?

For me:
>lack of audio jack
>fingerprint sensor on the back
>battery less than 3000mAh

No, there isn't any noticeable difference in performance between the RN3P and RN4. Look at SD820 powered phones such as ZUK Z2 or LeEco Le Max 2

>no FM radio
It's easily the most underrated feature on a smartphone
>slow charging
>no moto camera/flashlight gestures
>no samsung multi window
>slow camera speeds

Android OS

>his country hasn't switched to DAB+
How's weather in congo bongo?

Just posted this in /csg/ lads.

Is there an updated guide on Chinkphones?

Have a 2 year old HTC M9 that's still doing well, but I fancy a change.

Looking to spend about $250, but the guide hasn't been updated in months.

It's so fucking hot in germany right now but thanks senpai

Should I get Honor 8 or P10 lite?

>keyone still out of stock

fuck my life.

Hey grampa, by 2020 EU will shut down FM to have only digital radio.

I just got an android phone, I switched from windows shit, recommend me some must have apps, thanks senpai.

redmi 4x

Your best bet was htc but they fucked up once again.

Axon 8 maybe but it won't have stock android unless you flash it.

Clover for Sup Forums

Moto G 5 plus vs Moto G 4 Plus?

G 5 plus is 25% more expensive where I live.

Honor 8

Yeah because it have no Android at all lmao ebin :----DDDDD

Both 4gb/64gb? G5 Plus is worth the extra cost

Both 32gb

>lack of audio jack
I don't really listen to enough music on my phone for this to be a problem for me personally

>fingerprint sensor on the back
not an huge issue if there's double tap to wake

>battery less than 3000mah
the battery life also depends on how power efficient the SoC is among other things, but generally yeah, 3000mah is probably near the bare minimum I'd go for too

Main deal breakers for me:
>bootloader isn't unlockable / phone isn't rootable
>no custom ROMs available

2 or 3gb RAM?

thanks

My upgrade is due in a couple of months. I'm on sprint so my choices are Samsung S8+, HTC U11 ultra, or blackberry KEYone. I've only ever had blackberry, htc, and samsung phones. I was thinking of a Sony phone but there's none on sprint. What are my upsides/downsides to going unlocked?

My understanding of how Sprint works is you can't get any unlocked phone to work with them since the IMEI has to be manually whitelisted and they only do that to phones purchased from them.

Both 2gb

Forcing me to switch is a dealbreaker. And Sony phones just look so nice. Does that disqualify the OP5 too?

Still G5 Plus then

Yes it does

So then it comes to specs and root accessibility. I can give up on that with the KEYone but that one has minimal bloat and the blackberry features. The S8+ is the sequel to my S7 Edge. I've kept this one stock running a different launcher because KNOX and samsung security features. My last HTC was the M8 and I rooted the shit out of that. I know HTC has dev tools and their UHOH protects rooted phones as long it wasn't the root or derived features that caused the claim (at least it did when I had the M8).

Why G5?

Better camera, battery life and performance. It's newer so it'll get android updates longer. Doesn't overheat like the G4 does

>HTC U11 Ultra
Do you mean HTC U Ultra or HTC U11? (those are two different phones)

The physically larger one. After I got used to larger phones I don't enjoy the smaller ones.

Honestly don't think the U Ultra is worth it anymore now that U11 is out. There isn't a huge difference in size either, ones 5.7" and the other is 5.5"

Is LG G6 a good upgrade from Nexus 6? Looking to upgrade my phone prob around October, any size and budget is fine, battery dies quick when i use Nexus 6 had it for 3 years now, any suggestions?

Whats a good, cheap Android phone I can buy for TMobile?
I've got a Lumia 950xl and MS almost bricked my phone this morning with an accidental update and I'm seriously considering jumping ship to Android after 6 years on WP. Just need some help and advice because I know next to nothing about good Android phones.

No, and by October plenty of other phones will be out. Essential, Pixel 2, U11.

How cheap?

Depends. I'm looking for one that I can kinda fuck around with at the moment to get used to it and figure out the feel. My buddy has an HTC Desire 530 that I really like, but I dont believe its for TMobile.

Im looking for something that wont be my main phone unless it works MILES better than my current one, which I doubt will happen, but if it does i'll roll with it.
This is probably going to be my last WP and I just want to last the rest of the contract

If you have Amazon prime you can get a BLU R1 HD for $60 or a Moto G4 Play for $100. They come with lockscreen ads but it's pretty trivial to remove them. Another option is to just have Best Buy price match Amazon.

Enjoy your boot loop.
LG can't bother to pay more than $.2 for thermal paste in your $500+ device.

If you'd followed the conversation from the beginning you'd realise we're talking about Motorola, not LG

I like the right side more

Im looking at the BLU one but it's listed as $100 for prime members. I don't know if I have to actually have prime for it to list it at the different price, or maybe its because we're in separate countries

Retard.

If they were so good why they filled bankruptcy having to sell to Lenovo?

Well meme'd, friendo.

Because their old phones (before Google bought them) were crap

I would take it personal but then I remembered you are either Indian, Brazilian or a neet.

That's the Motorola user base after all.

>Posting anime
>Calling anyone "retard"
Wew

I think you have to logged in and actually paying for prime to get the discount price.
amazon.com/Prime-Exclusive-Phones/b?ie=UTF8&node=14613304011

Not as cheap as a few nights with your mom.

lol what a retard

Yet I still have a better income than you.
What's your excuse?

Being unable to follow a basic conversation already outs you as another worthless shitskin.

Just give it up dumb nigger, don't damage control this hard.

Redmi 4 Prime or 4X lads?

Why?

Why waste my time to figure out your conversation?
My time is worth something, unlike yours.

Still poor.

>waste time
kek

Yet you wasted your time writing that irrelevant comment

4 Prime
SD625 >>> SD435

Have a 5.5 inch moto4 now, want to get a moto5 but it's 5.2 inches

I like a big phone, am I going to miss those .3 inches?

I prefer the Prime, think it looks better too, but everyone seems to shill the 4X

Hotmemes instead of arguments?
Oh dear.

Don't buy cheap processors retard

>not reading comments properly before replying

I haven't seen anyone shill the regular Redmi 4X, are you talking about the Redmi Note 4X?

What browser and music player do you use on android?