/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170602080517&SearchText=Takstar PRO82
amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/
my.mixtape.moe/pcdads.mp3
open.spotify.com/track/4tUi4y02IBFxy9dqN9xbPL
qsound.com/demos/virtualbarbershop_long.htm
amazon.co.uk/AKG-Reference-Open-Back-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW/
amazon.co.uk/d/Studio-Headphones/Sennheiser-HD-558-High-Open-Over-Technology/B004FEEY9A/
amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUR54/
amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-Pro-Headphones-250/dp/B0006NL5SM/
chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The guides are all outdated and everyone in this thread just spouts stale memes, old information, blatant lies, or hot opinions. Turn back now.

Got memed, huh?

Everything on this mongolian basket weaving forum is outdated. All wikis are, no matter which general.

All those problems will be solved if we complain enough.

>Budget
£110 hard limit
>Location
UK (Scotland)
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed, I don't live alone.
>Comfort level
I'm not terribly fussed if the sound is good enough

dt770, though not sure if you need an amp

R8 str8 m8, no b8.

Fulla 2 -> HD600/DT770/HS5
Gonna add a sub eventually.

Am I sufficiently in mid-fi hell?

Yeah, you are, except for the HD600, which is high-end already.

Fulla 2 and 600 is good stuff m8. Schit stack is slightly better as it has no distortion at higher volumes but you're good to go with the fulla 95% of the time.

Thoughts on Audio-Technica ATH-M40X? Thinking about buying these.

DT770 or MSR7 for first non-shit headphones?
Also Pro or Custom Studio on the DT770s?

hownew.ru

V-Shaped (DT770) or Bright (MSR7)?
Pro if your source Is a weak, wimpy bitch. Studio if your source can power them without an amp (DT 770 80 Ohm Drivers).

>V-Shaped (DT770) or Bright (MSR7)?
I have no frame of reference.
>Pro if your source Is a weak, wimpy bitch.
How could I check this?

I would get one of these instead:

aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170602080517&SearchText=Takstar PRO82

Seriously, it's good. It's the new version of the Takstar Pro80, which is the HyperX Cloud. It was just released a few weeks ago or something like that. Look up a review for it.

What headphones have you had previously?

I remember hearing that the Takstar Pro 80 is good, but I was surprised to see them gone everywhere when I tried searching for them recently. Anyway, won't it take 5 months for it to arrive on a boat from Chynuh? I can pick up the M40X locally.

Fry's $5 bin IEMs. They're not great.

No, the estimate is 12-20 days with the free ePacket shipping, even if you order the one that comes with the aluminum case. The Pro 82 is a better version of the Pro 80.

What are you going to be using your headphones on (PC, console, phone, DAP, etc.)?

Desktop PC, maybe getting a DAC+amp in the future to look cool in desktop threads on other boards.

Get the Studios. If they're too quiet, you'll need an amp.

>maybe getting a DAC+amp in the future to look cool

Alright. Thanks.

I don't have a lot going for me, I need this.

They look more like M40x/MSR7 ripoffs than Pro 80's.
You have experience with them? They seem pretty intriguing.

My MDR-7506 just crapped out on me, blame planned obsolescence which seems to be the only thing Sony's good at. The cables are fine, everything's fine, I think the speaker gave out. I don't even listen to shit loudly.

Anyway, we're doing this again.

>Budget
150$
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC (cable should be over a meter long, the PC is far from my chair)
>Type
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed, but open can work too if they're better quality
>Comfort
They should be comfortable on my head over long periods, other than that I don't mind too much.

Also I listen mostly to punk, post-punk, cyberpunk, downtempo and nu jazz

How big of an upgrade would a pair of emu teak headphones be over my current K7XX? Getting tired of the bass rattle.

dt770 pro 80 ohm limited edition

They're a bit expensive for me. They're 235$ in Canada.

I was thinking of the ATH-M40x which seem good and fall in my budget.
Are they any good and will they last me more than a week?

If you're not tossing them around, they should be fine with new pads.

They're fine, but they'll require new pads to be comfy. If you found the 7506 comfy it probably wouldn't bother you.
CB-1 have comparable sound and are very comfy stock, should be cheaper too.

amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/
Will sound much better than any closed headphone you can get with your budget.

Are there decent wired/wireless open headphones for 150~200€?

>wired/wireless
Wireless headphones that can take a cable?
Unfortunately, nobody ever heard of good wireless headphones.

It does look very similar to the MSR7, but the Pro 82 is quite nice overall, especially for the price. I haven't tried it myself, I just found it impressive, especially given the Pro 80's reputation.

Any recommended tracks if I want to listen out for exceptional:
>Sub bass
>Soundstage
>Imaging

In headphones? Cheers

>wireless
>open
Speakers. You want speakers.

>Sub Bass
I use Blue by Gemmini fo bass extension and Elysia's Heart to check for distortion.

Elysia's Heart by Aether

>sub bass
my.mixtape.moe/pcdads.mp3

>soundstage
open.spotify.com/track/4tUi4y02IBFxy9dqN9xbPL

>imaging
qsound.com/demos/virtualbarbershop_long.htm

When you're using a dac do you just usb -> dac -> plug in headphones

Why do I feel so autistic looking at a dac, it looks like it needs something else going in for some reason

Awesome @ HD600.

Glad you like it, user. Sounds awesome on my HD650, too.

Rattle? Mechanical issue and fixable. Shouldn't exist in any headphone. In the K7xx that used to be a problem with the baffle.

I can't possibly tell you whether you view some random other headphone as an upgrade.

Sennheiser's RS lineup is alright and has some open back models.

You can't experience soundstage with headphones without additional signal processing. Binaural recordings are more immersive than stereophonic sound through loudspeakers but they lack in numbers and production.

There has to be an amplification stage after the converter. Often it's already a part of the chip which also does analog to digital conversion. Focusing on the converter itself may be autistic but it's also mostly irrelevant. It's not driving your headphones, it's very cheap and easy to do well and most units do. It has been a solved problem for a decade or two for audio reproduction purposes.

DAC has become somewhat of a misnomer in audio discussions.

That haircut was surprisingly wide on my PortaPros. I don't think I've heard anything that wide on these.

24-bit 96kHz .flac torrent of the album in that second link: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7B10A122EB0881E9F2DFA7873F434C10911DB83D&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt4.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet

It's all binaural. Sounds pretty cool

Bump. Someone lurking in these threads has to have them.

I have a pair and have enjoyed them. If you are getting them as a first pair of decent headphones you will probably be satisfied. Or if you are just looking for something you can travel with that doesnt sound like garbage, they can get the job done.
I don't know what else to tell you about them.

Hi /hpg/.
After 4 years of use my ATH M50s have died on the right side.
Need some new headphones.
Looking to drop around £100

That's not an acceptable format to ask for headphone purchase advice. Please read the OP and try again. Have a wonderful day.

>Budget
The aforementioned £100

>Location
UK, hence GBP

>Source
PC

>Type of headphone
Overear

>Open or closed
Either/Or. Open to suggestions.

>Comfort level
Like I'm not wearing a brick on my head would be ideal.

>Sound signature
Neutral leaning towards bright.

>Past headphones
ATH M50's

>Budget
$1-2k
>Location
USA
>Source
Schiit Modi U/Magni U
>Type of headphone
Open or Closed are both fine
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Not picky, mostly listening to EDM nowadays, some rock and classical
>Past headphones
Fidelio X2 is my current daily driver, tried HD 650 but lack of bass meant they went back

I like my X2, but I'm curious what would be an upgrade to it in terms of cleaner sound.

Willing to buy used or save up over time for something that's actually a big improvement.

You could literally search M40 in this thread and get an answer.

HD650 would be a cleaner sound. Cleaner sound likely comes with much less bass than the X2.

Maybe look in Audeze LCD 2

Hi,
besides csg, i'd like to know which IEMs and closed on-ear headphones are recommended for something like up to 70€ (less is obviously better, if possible)
I'd use them on the go and would like them to be comfortable. I am living in Germany.
Thanks in advance

Some pointers to popular such devices
Neutral-ish:
amazon.co.uk/AKG-Reference-Open-Back-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW/
amazon.co.uk/d/Studio-Headphones/Sennheiser-HD-558-High-Open-Over-Technology/B004FEEY9A/
amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUR54/
V-shaped:
amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-Pro-Headphones-250/dp/B0006NL5SM/
I'd recommend them in order, top to bottom.

HD800, LCD-2

Thoughts on Massdrop TH-X00?

Today is the last day of the Hot Sale, did you get something??

I don't know if I should go for the DT770, it seems they are what I'm looking for (closed, over ear, comfy, bassy), but I don't know if I'll need an amp for 80 ohms, it would bring it out of my range, and I'll also need something not so bulky and big as I'll be using them on my uni campus.

Also Sennheiser Urbanite XL are dirt cheap on Amazon right now, but I don't know if their quality is too poor.

Stax sr-404 with some tube amp for 250 bucks. Used. Should I go for it?

7506 or v6

That's an absolute steal (assuming the amp works fine). Go for it.

>it seems they are what I'm looking for (closed, over ear, comfy, bassy)
The bass on the 770's is absolutely excellent. It's tight, punchy, fast, agile, absolutely not bloated or muddy and reaches deep. Love this.
The one thing you need to keep in mind with Beyers is that they are v-shaped with elevated treble, so if you're sensitive you may find them sibilant, which i honestly doubt.
>I don't know if I'll need an amp for 80 ohms
Unless you try to power them with a potato you're fine. I can easily power my DT990's 250 Ohm with my onboard ALC1220.
>something not so bulky and big as I'll be using them on my uni campus
In that case i would not get any Beyers. While they sound excellent and are sturdy, imho they are not meant for portable use.
The coiled non-removeable cable will drive you crazy when on the move, trust me.
If you want bassy, closed headphones you may want to look into Sony MDR-1A's. They have bass, a lot of it, while keeping decent clarity, mids and highs.
The problem i have with those Sony's is that the bass can become very sloppy and muddy depending on the music you're listening to.
On the other side, they are very comfortable right out of the box. Light, nice padding, no strong clamp, just fine. They come with two removeable cables, one with a remote and the cable quality is superb.

I don't understand audiophiles.
How can "warm" sound and decay be natural? Isn't tight and fast transient response better?
Those all depend on the recording anyway.

Asked towards the end of the last thread, are Rock Zircon the best iem's under $20?

Durability isn't a concern as I'll just be leaving them in my car for portable use.

Yes, by far.

Dunno if you're looking for something higher end, but the Creative Aurvana Live are warm and solid portable headphones.
Don't fold or anything but are very light, not too autistic.

Status CB-1 also meet your requirements, not sure I'd wear them in public though.

My DT880 600Ohms came in today, they're way better than my old M40xs.
Surprisingly, they can get decently high without an amp or dac (which is something I'm getting later this week) on my computer. No static either.

How much will I be blown away once they do come in?

What amp and dac did you order?

Monoprice 11567 AMP/DAC

>Budget
$400-600 USD
>Location
California (US)
>Source
Schitt Magni 2 Uber routed into Fiio E10K into PC
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open but if the closed are objectively superior then I'll take those
>Comfort level
Must be HIGH. I have autistic levels of requirements for comfort, I don't like velour cause it's scratchy (but I'll still use them), I hate anything too heavy since I'll be at my pc hours at a time. Also I wear glasses.
>Sound signature
Used to prefer flat but I could use a slight bump in base
>Past headphones
HD600's (current, love it), Massdrop Noble X (current IEMs), Meze Classics 99 (memeshit), ATH-M50x (hated it, sold it after a month)

Basically looking for a straight upgrade to the HD600's. If you can take HD650 drivers though and slot them into the HD600 I'll take that though. No used please.

HD600 owners, how do you eq them?
Better to use a peak or shelf filter to increase the bass?

I took what Metal571 listed in his video and lowered the gain values a bit.

Does anyone have the $200 and up recommendation image? Wiki link is ded.

DJing on chiru.no:8081/stream.flac rn

does Sup Forums have any suggestions for good computer speakers around $50-60?

You should be able to flatten the sub-bass response with a single 20 Hz peak boost. Turn the EQ preamp down accordingly to prevent clipping. The midbass is already boosted so you should have enough bass by just bringing the sub-bass up to the same level as the midbass.

Just look up a frequency response graph of the HD600, note the steepness of the sub-bass rolloff and create a corresponding inverse 20 Hz peak filter to said rolloff using some kind of parametric EQ with a GUI so you can match the curve of your filter to the rolloff.

Will do, thanks.

Seems like a lot of people lower 3,500 hz, that worth doing?

>good computer speakers

Save up for Micca PB42X or Jbl LSR305, anything else is gonna be garbage really.
That budget is better spent on headphones.

My Shure SE215's cable is kind of fucked.

I need a new one but I'd also like one that has a microphone in it.

Any suggestions?

I bought one off eBay ages ago but the microphonics were so bad it was completely useless.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but where do you put your amp/dac? I'm considering a Filla 2, but my tower is under my desk, which means awkward looping cables if I want it next to my monitor.

You put the desktop on top of the desk, silly.

In their own rack.

>Budget
$75
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
A $25 pair of a Walgreens

XPT100
CB-1/MM185

Keep saving your money and get yourself an HD800.

okay, lets try here!

My brother worked on a computer store that went under, and because the owner owed him and other two employees two months of pay he let them take a bunch of the inventory he wasn't gonna take with him. So my bro got some stuff, including some headsets. He's gonna keep one, and give away other 3 to me and two of his friends. And I got to chose first.

I can pick a Corsair HS40, a HyperX Stinger or a Razer Kraken USB 7.1.

So, which one you suggest?

Neither of them. Just get decent headphones.

>gaymen headsets
I suggest you get the fuck out.

I'm getting them for free.

Of the three, I'd say the Stingers.

Then get the most expensive one and sell it dumbass.

Garbage stock pads and mediocre build.

If you do get the m40x, get Auray sheepskin pads, or some of the Shure velour pads. Don't go with the HM5 garbage that zeosfags reccomend.

>blame planned obsolescence which seems to be the only thing Sony's good at.
Doubt it. Plenty of MDR's that have lived for decades. You can buy replacement drivers in a few places if you want.

If you're talking about a standalone DAC unit like the ODAC or Modi 2, then you need to send RCA from the DAC out to the amp. If you're talking about a DAC/Amp combo unit, you just plug in via 3.5/6.3/whatever.

From your PC you just run USB/Optical to the DAC unit.

>Neutral leaning towards bright.
MDRV6/7506 or M40x. Neither are 100% what you want but they are slightly bright. MDR's more-so.

>How can "warm" sound and decay be natural?
Sounds bounce of shit in real life before reaching your ears a lot. Warmth is preferred by some because it makes a lot of instruments like cellos, pianos, and guitars sound more saturated.