Sup Forumspill me on Ableton

Sup Forumspill me on Ableton.

Is this the BEST way to start audio engineering as somebody who has no background in audio production?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Akai-Professional-MPD218-Controller-Software/dp/B0116X17JW/
amazon.com/dp/B00VVNOMGI/
xferrecords.com/freeware/
youtu.be/RCu1kKCG2Sw
src.infinitewave.ca/
help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/206407004-Upgrade-pricing-for-existing-Live-users
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

honestly id say yes

the UI is hands down the best as well. A lot of features come right out of the box

yes

it's sad there's no linux version tho

It's good because the interface and default processors for it are better than what comes default with other software packages. So, most everything you need comes in one package of software without needing to get much else for starting off. In the end most people use a mix of third party programs, but it's entirely possible to make professional level tracks with only the built in features, excluding samples, and a few VST synths.

Ableton is good, I'd reccomend FL Studio too. But im kinda biased towarda FL, been using it for about 10 years now

if you start with shit - you stay with shit.

Yes. get a cheap midi keyboard, you'll have tons of fun.

This.

If you get a novation mpk mini keyboard it comes with a free copy of live lite, so you pay $100 but get the keyboard and the software, and a discount on the full version of ableton if you buy that later.

I learned audio production on live lite and it has plenty of features and instruments to get started. Honestly, there's plenty of other DAWs which are pretty much just as good, such as cubase or FL studio, but ableton is a very solid choice especially considering how easy it is to get a free copy of lite.

Also, you'll be able to stick to ableton your entire career as it is pretty much the industry standard.

Is there any real reason to go with the standard over the 99 dollar one, if it is just a hobby for me?

The 99 dollar one comes free with a lot of similarly-priced MIDI hardware, so I would recommend buying something that bundles it for free rather than paying for it as a standalone product.

The 8-track maximum on the lite version is fairly restrictive and there's no external instrument device for hardware synthesizers, which is a pain in the ass. However, it's excellent for starting out and you get a discount on the full version if you already have the lite version.

I already have a yamaha midi keyboard, is there any hardware you would recommend then, that is worth getting that comes with the 99$ one?

A lot of drum pads come with it, for example this one:
amazon.com/Akai-Professional-MPD218-Controller-Software/dp/B0116X17JW/

Also if you travel a lot mini keyboards are fun because you can toss them in a backpack and do stuff on the go. I use one of these:
amazon.com/dp/B00VVNOMGI/

sorry to use amazon links I swear I'm not a shill

I think that FL Studio is a lot more "newbie" friendly.

Visually pleasing, good support, more tutorials available than for Ableton.

Ableton is based. They dont care if you pirate.

Because they know the noobs of today are the paying customers of tomorrow.

trash for beep boop millenial faggots with shrunken gonads

So... can I drop this into wine?

>Is this the BEST way to start audio engineering as somebody who has no background in audio production?- 15 posts shown.
I tried Logic, FL, Ableton and Bitwig. I was most productive in bitwig. Ableton comes close but Bitwig has more intuitive UX and is easier to work in.

Bitwig works natively on GNU/Linux.

It works remarkably well on wine, though you should expect a bit more latency and slower performance than running it natively. Unless you're using external hardware or doing live performances then it's great

If you're looking for an easy introduction no - FL is better for that.
Ableton is actually better though, it just has a steeper learning curve. If you're ready to invest the time learning it it's better to start with ableton, because as implied, it's hard to switch when you're used to a DAW.

Try Reaper my dude, it's lit.

>not using LMMS exclusively

Only correct answer.

logic a best

> audio engineering

bitch you are dragging and dropping

I started with FL and switched to Ableton (and still have both installed).
FL might be easier for a beginner, but Ableton isn't very complicated either. It just has a unique workflow, so you have to practice a few days until it clicks and everything makes sense, then it becomes super easy and fast.

When it comes to default instruments and effects, I think FL is superion because of all the unique stuff, but luckily Image Line (FL's company) also sells them separately as VSTs, so if you're on Windows you can have the best of both worlds in a single program.

My suggestion is to get Ableton Live suite (with Max4Live), the Image Line bundle, The Fabfilter bundle, the iZotope production bundle, Xfer Serum, Xfer LFO Tool, and you're set.
If you want realistic-sounding real instruments get Kontakt and find yourself some good libraries (google something like "best cello kontakt library" and find recent forum discussions where producers give their suggestions). The libraries included in the Komplete bundle are pretty good, so save yourself the research and get those.

There are many others you can have tons of fun with, but with these you basically have all your bases covered, so focus on learning those inside out and you'll be a top notch producer.

Obviously, as they cost many thousands, you either need to have a lot of disposable income, or you need to pirate them.
AudioZ should have everything listed.

PS: This applies if you want to make your own music.
If you're just planning to record other bands and be employed in a studio, ignore everything above and learn Pro Tools.

Bump

How are Ableton Live Suite's sampled instruments?

Audio "Engineering".
More like the network administrators of the DJ world.

Lol wtf do u know anyway. probably jack shit

Does anyone recommend Ardour?

I know that there isn't any actual engineering involved.

Not as good as the Kontakt ones IMO.
Only install the packs for the presets and the M4L devices.

Thanks user

No. Not for starting engineering. Production maybe. But FL Studio is of very high quality as well

You're welcome.
If you have any questions, I'm here.

Different user but I heard GNU/Linux had issues recognizing audio interfaces (specifically Focusrite). Any experiences like this?

Sorry, I never tried using Linux for audio things because of this sort of thing.
I suggest having a separate Windows partition for this stuff, as I think the headaches are not worth it.

install Gentoo

>Max4Live

Worth every cent - even if you don't make your own stuff

Yes.
I think Ableton is incomplete without it, and with it is a complete beast.
The envelopes and LFOs alone make it worth it.

New to audio. Every VST I used (besides the Korg M1) sounds really flat/corny out of the box. What effects can I use to get a decent base sound? Not looking for anything in particular just something I can start composing with.

Put an OTT on it.
If you're on Ableton, it's a preset under the Multiband Dynamics audio effect.
If you're on another DAW, download it from here:
xferrecords.com/freeware/

If you're on FL Studio you can use the Soundgoodizer plugin, which soundgoodizes all your sounds (as soon as I started using it on my master chain I got signed by Spinning Records).

kinda overpriced but really cool interface overall, probably my favourite. Some stock plugins suck imo though like the eqs for instance

Nexus 2

fabfilters plugins are really neat I second that

Ableton really is great, especially paired with M4L
Bitwig looking good so far but still not developed enough
Reason and Cubase aren't bad either

Never tried Reason, but as I understand it, it's not like a norma DAW, but more like a music production package, with its own sort of walled garden of tools.
I hear it's pretty powerful on its own, and they only added external VST support last month.

Any Reason user here?
How is it compared to other DAWs?

Worst drivers in the biz?

>Akai

I use ableton to run my Midi Ball

youtu.be/RCu1kKCG2Sw

Eh...the UI is a bit cluttered and chaotic at times but it's good.
It's not an industry standard and likely never will be, but it's not crippled at all.

This.
Reaper is the shit and it's literally free.

>(as soon as I started using it on my master chain I got signed by Spinning Records).
wtf?!

what's your opinion on logic?

Great for beginners but Ableton is much better longrun.

Much better UI; follows after the name.
Reaper is basically Logic Lite, so if you don't want to invest, start with Reaper and decide if you like it.
Logic is GOAT, though.

Ableton is like trying to paint the Mona Lisa in MS Paint

Learn Max/msp if you really want to get gud.

better longrun how?

Ableton allows a lot more precise and minute benefits that I only really appreciated after producing for 3 years in logic. When I started out, Logic had lots of loops and synths that were fun and easy to use. But by the time I really wanted to get into the nitty gritty with my own samples, Ableton provided a lot more options and it was only after 3 years that I ended up ditching logic for ableton.

cool. I'll most likely try out logic, I use reaper now which goes with what said. I doubt I'm at that point where it would be too limiting like in your case

Logic sounds somewhat better at exporting tracks but ableton is way more user friendly imo, especially for loop based music. I get shit done faster with it. They're both very good programs tbqh

>Logic sounds somewhat better at exporting tracks
That used to be the case years ago, but they've improved it a lot in the last versions, and it's one of the best now.

You can compare them here:
src.infinitewave.ca/

Here's a comparison between two versions of Ableton (before and after the improvements)

That's cool I didn't know that, I'm gonna need some time to process this because I'm shit at reading curves but it's a neat tool thx

NP.
Check out the other tests too if you're interested (this is just the "sweep" one).

>nonfree
Trash

>free
Even more trash

No it isn't.

The industry isn't just one thing anymore.
Nowadays it's split into different "areas" so to speak.
For example, when it comes to regular recording and studio work, Pro Tools is considered the standard, but when it comes to electronic music making (where you compose and produce a song within the DAW), then Ableton is considered the standard (with FL Studio as a close second).
There are other areas with their respective standard programs, but I don't know enough about them to say what is standard and what is not.

You are recording music, not making SoundCloud beats, yes? If so, use Pro Tools or Cubase. At least then your work will be recognized if you ever intend to pursue it on a studio basis.

You can even get aclip launcher like abelton in it.

I was going to buy a midi controller with the Lite bundle. But then I read this: help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/206407004-Upgrade-pricing-for-existing-Live-users Seems like you can't upgrade to anything from Lite.

Had to learn a bit of it for uni, you have to get used to some things but it's honestly great

you realise the daw doesn't even matter this much right

fl studio mustard race

Welp. It cant be good. But it will be necessary in the future. Depends on the next geberation.

Is this song hard to make?

>not using a modern furry music tracker like openmpt

disgust

what a dumb gimmick