What is your opinion on php7?

what is your opinion on php7?

Has it matured enough to be considered not shit anymore?

I used to make some good cash with side projects during my studies which was nice

php always was , is and always will be shit

Still shit, people still use it

I don't know what you're asking

it got some nice frameworks so far which force you to not write shit code tho, I'd consider that a plus

Python also has nice frameworks, and is a much more sane language.

is it better for web applications tho? good template-engines similar to twig? request and response handling?

Yes and yes.

what would I try out if I wanted to start a webapp like a blog application?

Larger and more complex, free admin panel - Django.
Simpler - Flask.

I personally enjoy writing in PHP. Kind of an archaic language at this point though.

- Fun frameworks.
- Works well with talking between my webpages and databases for me.
- Use it for talking between my webpages and apps.
- Even sometimes use it for talking between my apps and databases.
- Very flexible language.

Personally I rate it 7.5/10

>Makes me feel like some oldschool coder in the late 90s
>1998/2017

the thing i love about php is that there is almost zero boilerplate to write a hello world webapp with controller, service container and DBAL

>set up lamp, apt install *
>set up composer, 1 cmd, 2 if you want to have it global
>install silex/slim/laravel/symfony/zend based on flavour
>use commandline script to auto-generate your shit
>start

useful, flexible and easy to use, but gives people a poor sense of what programming is about

I don't think people realize how powerful django really is.

it's still somewhat functional but javascript is king everywhere now.

Tell me more

The Onion was built on django.

Python may not be the fastest, but you can build clean, efficient code very easily. There are a ton of packages out there already for Django that handle authentication and more. Plus, I personally love building my backend app in python and building an API on top of that and easily interfacing with my frontend django.

And what about Ruby on Rails?

>muh power
Chill, friendo, it's a web framework.
Of course there's more functionality than in those microdick frameworks, but that's it.

You can't fix a type system/module system/standard library/architecture that broken.

Same bloat, different assholes.

It's also a cms originally designed by IT staff at a newspaper. Rails >>>> django

You're right, not trying to make it seem like the greatest thing ever, but people discredit it way too often.

Using PHP to start out learning backend web programming might be a good thing because its so simple. The PHP code gets embedded right into the html, PHP calls SQL query commands directly, so it doesnt hide anything the way a framework does.

But once you move on to using frameworks it would be assbackward to keep using PHP when you can use much nicer and more syntactically powerful languages like Ruby and Python. Javascript is good for backend on more SPA based web apps. Dont spend too much time learning PHP as you will get stuck in a weak and old fashioned programming style, Ruby and Python have much better OO features and make powerful use of high order functions

Everyone here is just a butthurt man child OP.

PHP is the most popular backend language for web related applications and websites.

I get paid quite a bit for writing PHP because no one knows how to use it properly.