/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Potato edition

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050/Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@90-144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Jgw83F
amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU-27-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0173PEX34
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fz8DVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/gdMn4C
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m
pcpartpicker.com/list/VHsjkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/zKbctJ
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/60240247/#60243915
pcpartpicker.com/list/ycvNHN
quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-an-IPS-monitor-and-a-LED-monitor
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/yj7y2R
youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8
pcpartpicker.com/list/fB49Z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pcpartpicker.com/list/Jgw83F
Is this a good mid-range gaming build for 1440p? My budget is about $1k.

Found a 1440p 144hz acer monitor for $400. Is the a meme monitor or worth it.

How long will it take for AND cards to sell out when Vega comes? Will Nvidia cards pretty much drop in price or have they already settled

We don't even know what monitor it is

amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU-27-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0173PEX34

Yes, you can go with a cheaper SSD. After a certain speed you're limited by the CPU being able to unpack data.

The tempered glass has been known to randomly explode.
Would not advise if you have kids, or mates that throw shit around when they're over.

Okay, so I'm completely clueless as to what crypto currency is. I kinda understand that it involves exchanging digital currency in some way. But what does any of that have to do with the rx 570 and 580 graphics card? Are they able to use it for the process somehow?

best bang for buck in algorithm autism.

Normally you would get an ASIC miner. But some currency have figured how to make GPU's preferred.
Was meant to bring back mining to the privet consumer. But business has more money.

Could save a lot of money on SSD (~$30) and some on the PSU but yeah it's a great build

Okay, so looking to make a gaming pc, don't care about HD graphics but enough to at least play 60 fps on games. Is this build viable? pcpartpicker.com/list/Fz8DVY

You don't need the cooler
A GTX 1050ti won't get 60FPS without dropping settings by the way
16GB is pretty unneeded for budget builds, you can drop to 4+4GB or 8 + 4GB

You can get a better MG279Q for $400 on sale pretty often.

Yes. I'd suggest a 550W PSU if in budget so it can carry over to future builds.

A Kingston UV400 SSD. 240gb+ (ones in the matted aluminum case. The red and black plastic are trash)
It'll make a huge difference in load and boot times.

You can probably get cheaper RAM to put towards the SSD, because that's how much a difference that will make to your system.

>A GTX 1050ti won't get 60FPS without dropping settings by the way
From ultra to high, and anti aliasing down should be enough. Which is a negligible difference. And a few extra tweaks if you're that set on a solid 60fps.

The MG279Q has more QC issues than the Acer. Just google and you will notice more people complaining about BLB than for Acer. I don't know if they fixed it or not. And there isn't much difference between the two aside from the OSD and the base.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the 550W PSU and the UV400 and get cheaper ram.

>and the UV400
Just mind that was a suggestion of a cheep SSD that performs well. Up to you what you get. It's pretty hard to get one that doesn't do well. Apart from the red and black ones from Kingston, that are barely better than a HDD.

That's true. But the MG279Q is better when it doesn't have a messed up backlight or dead pixels, issues you can return to the seller for.

Depends on the game. On deferred rendering games it can still suffer without dropping some settings to medium.

Why don't you just try using the iGPU to start with then upgrade the GPU when you really feel you have to?
That's not a bad price for a 1050Ti, but it'd be even cheaper when Volta comes out.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gdMn4C

can someone look over my list? GPU is from a friend for 100.Only missing a monitor if anyone can recommend a cheap one that can do 60fps+1080p from amazon.de

Why is the MG279Q better?
I was deciding between the PG279Q and Acer XF271HU so I don't know the difference between MG279Q and XF271 but for the G-sync series, my research showed that the two were incredibly similar except the XF271 has dropped about 200 dollars in price vs PG279Q so I opted for the former and because it had less QC issues so I didn't have to play RMA lottery.

Get Ryzen 1600 instead.
Get dual channel ram over 1 single ram.
Try squeeze in an SSD, that is the single most noticable difference in a PC performance vs a build with no SSD.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/gdMn4C
>4 threads
>1 DIMM
>unlocked CPU on a locked board
it's shit. read the OP

MG279Q is the exact same as the PG279Q except Freesync instead of Gsync.

Also the 1600 comes with a great stock cooler, doesn't look like shit. And is good for an overclock to 4Ghz.

Replace 4 core 4 threads i5 to lower priced 6 cores 12 threads r5 1600 which doesn't need a cooler
unless you enjoy 90% CPU usage while gaming
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m

>MG279Q is the exact same as the PG279Q except Freesync instead of Gsync.
Then I would say there is no difference between MG279Q vs XF270HU. I did a lot of research and reading before I bought my monitor. All online resources led me to believe the difference is minimal between the two and the Asus monitors have more QC issues.

thanks you convinced me,do i need to switch the motherboard too now as well since I switched the cpu?

>do i need to switch the motherboard too now as well since I switched the cpu?
yes, different socket so different motherboard

Yes, you need an AM4 motherboard.
Anything with a VRM heatsink should suffice. That's the bit between the CPU socket and the rear usb ports.

Ive just recently gotten into mining crypto currency.
>ASIC = Bitcoin mining
>GPU/CPU = Altcoin mining (anything other than BTC)

Yes. You need an AM4 socket motherboard now. We heavily recommend a B350 chipset board since it supports overclocking, but not SLI or Xfire making it great for the average gamer.

Not supporting something, is not a feature.
But yes. You only need to jump up a teir if you have a need for multable GPU's in SLI/crossfire.

You'll only get 4GHz on the stock cooler if you're lucky, your room is cool, or you just don't care much about thermals.

If you want to keep under 65C, you need a different cooler. Most seem to hit 3.75-3.85GHz on the stock cooler and 1.275-1.325V.
For a stock cooler it's VERY good. It's quiet and shit. But it only works so well. It's a 95W TDP cooler.

Yes. You need a B350 board and you should get 2 DIMMs of 2666-3200MHz RAM.

>Ive just recently gotten into mining crypto currency
You're at least five years too late to the game.

why make ignorant statements?

pcpartpicker.com/list/VHsjkT only need to switch out my ram now right?

so the ryzen 1600 comes with a cpu cooler,is more powerful,is cheaper and also doesnt have that gay BIOS motherboard issue when compared to the i5 7600.What is the catch then?

You're fairly right now.
Can go for 16gb RAM. but if your budget is tight, you can get another of that same stick later.
I'd recommend a SSD. Can get one later, but that's double handling to reinstall the OS and games to it.
>>A Kingston UV400 SSD. 240gb+ (ones in the matted aluminum case. The red and black plastic are trash)
>It'll make a huge difference in load and boot times.

pcpartpicker.com/list/zKbctJ
fixed
I changed the GPU because I wasn't sure why you'd want previous generation stuff when buying new parts. alternatively, change the RX580 I put there for a GTX 1070.

>What is the catch then?
memory support is a bit wonky atm, and the fact Ryzen NEEDS fast ram.

>What is the catch then?
Your friends might try to meme you.

Ryzen needs good RAM.
In game performance can be sometimes wonky. Emulation is untested.

You don't pay reparations to Israel when buying the 7600k.
And the single thread performance is 10-20% lower than a highly overclocked 7600k's single threaded. But it has 3x the threads so.. total performance is way higher. And it runs cooler.

Fast RAM helps Intel as well, just not quite as much in some cases.
You still get a bigger performance boost in gaymin with 3200 vs 2133 RAM on Intel than you do from an overclock.

2666 MHz is fine on Ryzen unless you're shooting for 144fps in newer games.

144 FPS in newer games is more reliant on GPU than CPU or RAM. In fact the first bottle neck you will run in when doing 144hz is your GPU.

mostly price since i can get a 970 for 100 euros and it should still be good enough to run games at 60fps 1080 on decent graphics.

cant find 2 sticks of 4gb at 2666-3200 ddr4 ram on amazon .de,closest i can find is 2133 speed,is that good enough for ryzen ?

whats the benefit of 1 stick 8gb vs 2 sticks of 4gb?

>In fact the first bottle neck you will run in when doing 144hz is your GPU.
Not quite. Physics plays a part there. It's why in GPU 'bottlenecked' benches you can see Ryzen pulling an extra 10 frames.
But yes, for the most part, you're right.

>you can see Ryzen pulling an extra 10 frames.
Only in very specific games anyway.

It doesn't need good RAM, it benefits from it but doesn't need it to be competitive to the i5s.
Emulation is generally worse (although not by much) on Ryzen CPUs though

Oh Ryzen shits on i5. The only reason why you would get i5 over Ryzen is for emulation purposes. I am talking about the higher end ryzen vs 7700k

No, emulation is better if it's compiled for it. There are many cases where its IPC is far higher, like when it can utilize 4 complex instructions per cycle versus the 1 complex plus 3 simple of Intel CPUs.

But if something is closed source and single threaded, then yeah Intel generally wins there. But it's still better than an i5 for pure gaming on average due to just being more consistent and having a better platform that you can upgrade the CPU on later.

It's a pretty large list
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/60240247/#60243915

Follow the archive link, and search for 'go away IMG_"
It's often the quickest way to find up to date benches. As they're being used to cause mental anguish to a certain user.

I'm too lazy to research parts and stuff so I need someone to build me a PC. My budget is $100. Basically it has to be better than my Core2 Duo P8400 laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD. I already have a keyboard and display I can use. I just need a motherboard, power supply, a CPU, 4GB of RAM, a dGPU and a non-shit case. Size doesn't really matter but I'd prefer it to be as small as possible. I'm just going to be using it for shitposting and retro games. I don't mind used parts as long as they're easy to find.

which one ? main use would be fps games at 60fps/1080p.to go with this build

pcpartpicker.com/list/ycvNHN

The Samsung one would probably be good. Never buy an ANUS product though. It'll break within 3 months and their support will just tell you to call Microsoft.

>LED
Just get an IPS senpai

rasberry pi, faggot

Even though Nvidai doesn't currently support Freesync, I'd get a Freesync monitor because it hardly costs more or is the same price.
There are 1080p 75Hz Freesync monitors for ~$105-$115. AOC ones come to mind.
You may upgrade to an AMD GPU in the future, and plus it's an extra 25% hz which the 970 can usually put out at least with shadows dropped down in most games.

I don't think IPS is in his budget since he's not getting an SSD..

Could I get some feedback and help?
I'm building a PC for my sibling. She's gamed on consoles since forever but recently realized it was shit compared to PC and would be really happy with a good one. Aiming for 1080p 60fps, but I also want the PC to last for a while so she doesn't feel limited by it when running AAA titles or so.

The problem is the overall price. Not that I want to go cheap on it but I'm not exactly rich myself and I don't want to overspend. With that said I have a feeling that the parts I picked are already pretty much spot on for what's available at the moment. At some point I thought of making a G4650 build but after looking at benchmarks etc that thing is just way too limited so R5 1400 is probably the lowest CPU I could pick for anything decent.

Help me think outside my box /pcbg/, please - anything I could tweak around to make it more of a decent budget build rather than an almost 1k € PC?

I can get an ssd if its under 50 euros,#
whats the benefit of an IPS over and LED?
I will look into freesync monitors thank you

You are going to be using your monitor long after your hardware is changed or has broken down. A good monitor will easily last you 10 years. Just get an IPS as the quality is easily worth the years you will be using your monitor.

Literally worse performance than my laptop and it's not x86. Get fucked.

quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-an-IPS-monitor-and-a-LED-monitor

An RX 570 is still great for a 1080p machine and quite cheaper
Could save money by getting a non-samsung SSD (Kingston, Sandisk, WD, etc)
Going for 16GB 3200MHz when you're on a budget is stupidity. You're not going to see any benefit from it because the RX 580 will be the bottleneck anyway, and 12 GB (8+ 4) of RAM is good.
If you're gonna downgrade the CPU you can always get an R5 1500x (never a 1400), or go even much cheaper and go for a g4560 which still has quite acceptable performances

If you get find a 580 or 570. Buy it instantly.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ got the AOC monitor
only missing a cheap SSD now.Do the components I have have any issues with windows 7 or am I forced to run windows 10 ?

You need to link your list properly.

that's a nice list

pcpartpicker.com/list/yj7y2R

>Going for 16GB 3200MHz when you're on a budget is stupidity.
2133 or 3200 is the same price here thus why I'm getting 3200.

>If you're gonna downgrade the CPU you can always get an R5 1500x (never a 1400)
The thing is the 1500x is 20€ cheaper than the 1600... 20€ for 2c/4t is very much worth it I think.

The Pulse I linked is actually out of stock but the shop is saying they'll have new ones soon. Their RX 570 4GB is at 180€ which I think is a pretty good price.

>the shop is saying they'll have new ones soon
Yes. Retailers are getting stock at the end of June. The thing is everyone knows it and miners want them 580s.

>The Pulse I linked is actually out of stock but the shop is saying they'll have new ones soon.
Miners are all over the RX 570/580/470/480 right now so any stock that arrives will not stay there for long

Build looks decent.
Like I said for the monitor, I would recommend you invest in a good once since your monitor will easily be the single item that will last you the longest in the build you listed.

Yeah actually I just checked and they say if I order one now I'll get it the 22 of July, says it all. Fuck this mining bullshit.

Meh small SSDs are shit. I'd recommend at least 480GB+, which is ~$120-$140, or just don't bother.

I agree with you, but shitty quality IPS sucks. Good ones are $300+.

RX570 is pretty ideal for 1080p 60-75fps+ gaming, but they're hard to find in stock, especially good models like the Gaming X or Red Devil.

Miners will buy them immediately. They can't get enough of them when Ethereum was $100, let alone with it now at $230.
I don't get what Sup Forums doesn't understand about how these people have hundreds of thousands, millions of dollars, and will buy hundreds or thousands of them at a time each.

Get at least 2666 RAM.

>R5 1500x (never a 1400)
why?

An R5 1400 is very cost inefficient and performs quite worse than a 1500 in games
A G4560 would perform the same if not better (or slightly worse depending on the game), but at one third of the price

Less cache gives it lower IPC. And 1400s tend to have trouble overclocking as well, especially on the weaker stock cooler, and trouble running fast RAM on them.
It's not worth the $20 savings for how inferior it is.

>I agree with you, but shitty quality IPS sucks. Good ones are $300+.
A good 300 dollar IPS monitor that will easily last you at least 5-10 years depending on your usage. That is fucking value. Monitors are easily the most investable part of your build due to their high resale value and high re usability.

>A G4560 would perform the same if not better (or slightly worse depending on the game)
I checked all of the tests from Hardware Unboxed and this is not what I remember seeing though. And even if it is true today, wouldn't the 1400 ages much better than a G4560? Or even a non-K i5?

Price difference between 1400 and 1500x is 30€ here. I'm not trying to say you're both wrong by the way.

>They can't get enough of them when Ethereum was $100, let alone with it now at $230.
The price is stagnant at the moment due to the lack of new cards mining. The next huge price spike will come when the 580/570 stocks come in.

Anyone gone from any i7 to Ryzen yet? Looking for honest comparisons please.
Doing an ITX build for my gf soon.
Also any recommendations on cases, I checked out all the phanteks and fractual ones.
She has a preference for small and white.

I did not say the 1400 is worse than a G4560. It's just not good value. The 1500X is worth the 12% cost increase.

I'm wondering how Vega will do. Ethereum mining is heavily dependent on memory bandwidth and it's only ~500GB/s.

If it's 50MH/s, I'd get 3 of them even if it's $2000 to get the enterprise cards.

>I'd get 3 of them even if it's $2000 to get the enterprise cards.
>tfw when not rich

I went from a 2500k to 1600X.
The 1600X is incomparably better.
I got a 30-50% average FPS increase in games that are highly single threaded like heroes of the storm, and my 1% minimums are like 10,000% better. And it's so much cooler.
From an i7 to Ryzen, though, there is going to be little difference in most cases. The only major difference would be that Ryzen has less of, or almost no, problem with one program using 100% of all threads causing other things to run slower. I can run AIDA64 stress test and still use my computer normally and be generally unaware that something is using 100% of all 12 threads. I think it has to do with its SMT being better than HT to more quickly switch contexts when another software thread wants resources. A lot of other people have noted that they can be rendering something yet photoshop runs fine on a 1700 whereas doing the same with a 6900k left photoshop hitching often. But besides that.. i7s are way better than i5s now days.

Just ordered a Silvestone FT03. Though I did want a case that had 5 PCI slots. Could not find one that was compact yet 5 PCI. The Fractal mATX cases were fucking full ATX sized..
The Carbide 88r is nice as well.

I mean if you were mining bitcoins 5+ years ago you would be, and then have money to mine Ethereum now.
I'm not even rich though.. I just never buy anything. I was on the same system with an i5-2500k and 2 7970s for 6 years before Ryzen/AM4 finally gave me a compelling reason to upgrade.
I just have the money sitting there if it's a good investment. Tbh makes sense to just pull all my money out of stocks and just mine. It's a safer investment.

So I got the AMD Radeon R9 270 in 2014 and it was great. What's the modern equivalent of that? I'd prefer not to have to replace anything else besides maybe power supply

the modern equivalent of such a card would probably be the 4GB RX 570. However, good luck getting your hands on any sort of RX 570 or RX 580. Ehtereum crypto-coin miners bought them all out. Your only option really if you're looking to upgrade would be a gtx 1050 ti 4GB. Or 1060 6GB if you have the cash.

Well she's coming from an i3 laptop, I had bulldozer and then pile driver then got 6700k and realized what I was missing out on.
If AMD is actually good now I'll buy it but I don't want to buy into another meme.

>closest i can find is 2133 speed,is that good enough for ryzen ?
no. you want a minimum of 2666

Ryzen doesn't NEED fast as fuck RAM to get 60FPS in gaming and compete in production. I have 32GB of DDR4-2400mhz CL14 RAM and it does everything mentioned above no problem.

Although 2133mhz is rather slow.

What's the minimum specs I would need to max out GTAV and TW3 at 1080p with a solid 60+ fps?

>max out
for games like gta or witcher maxing out all settings costs like 500$ more.
just aim at very high settings. there's barely a noticeable difference in ultra vs v. high.
youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8

Ryzen R5-1600 (overclocked to 1600X levels)
GTX 1060 or RX 580 (more than likely the 1060 because AMD cards are sold out everywhere due to renewed crypto-mining)
3200mhz RAM.

Would this build be good enough for some light photogrammetry and Unreal development?

Ryzen 1600
16 gigs of RAM
Either gtx1050ti or gtx970 (which one Sup Forums? The OEM no packaging gtx970 costs the same as the 1050ti)

Russianon here, finetuned my build pcpartpicker.com/list/fB49Z8
Now I'm conflicted about RAM, one suggested just getting RAM with a faster speed, while someone else suggested getting the Ballistix Sport LT and overclocking them, any help on this?

Not him but nice video. Stating the obvious but sometimes it's just nice to hear it.

The other day I was trying things out on BF1 and decided to put everything on low. Upon entering a game I wondered to myself "wait did it save my settings?" and yeah it did, everything was on low, but the game itself didn't look that different. I'm pretty sure medium/high would be pretty much the same as ultra (haven't bothered trying since I run it very well in ultra already but this is beyond the point here). Hell before receiving my 1070 I was playing Heroes of the Storm in low on my Intel HD graphics and was still pretty happy with it since I always had 100 FPS or so anyway.

I recommend the 1050 ti 4GB. At least with this card you're actually getting 4GB and not 3.5GB.

Why not a cheap quadro for the same price? Will you be gaming at all on this build?
Ryzen overall performance drops off after 2666mhz. There is a 0.5 to 1 fps difference of 2666 vs 3200.

However, what is this build for? Gaming? Production?

Mostly gaming, some production here and there.

privet
RAM with better speed because too lazy to do overclocking