I'm setting up a little server in my house

I'm setting up a little server in my house
I'm just at the beginning and I had an offer of an IBM System x3200 M3 (Xeon 3430, 4gb ecc ram and 500gb on 2 disk in raid 1) for 150€.
It has 17k hours uptime and 84 reboots.
I can try it for some time and I'm using it with xenserver for transcoding my film library in HEVC
Is this worth the price?

Help Sup Forums ?

What's the server going to be for? That will determine if those specs are any good.

Who quoted you uptime and number of reboots? Those are completely useless statistics.

I can see those stats in the IBM firmware

I'll use it as a Plex server (also for transcoding from h264 to h265) and maybe as a base for some offline backups

That's a 2009 Xeon with 4 actual cores (no Hyper-thread). You'd probably want more EEC RAM (it's super stupidly dirt cheap on eBay) but it should suffice just fine.

I have a pre-built Lenovo with a crappy i3 that's been everything froma file server to multiple game servers at once and has never had a hitch. Increase your stability by going with a stable linux distro like Debian. Mine gets rebooted like once a year for critical updates.

Thanks
Are you saying to only use Debian?
Because with xenserver I can menage more VM very easily

Btw, I'm in contact with a guy for 2x8gb ecc ram for 40€
Seems a good price

Didn't know what your level of technical skill or understanding was. A hypervisor would certainly be a good fit here. You will absolutely need more RAM.

I run a small onlinebusiness and i bought a used Dell Poweredge T310 for about 300€.

Bought it in 2014 it runs 24 hours since without any issues. It is used as Mailserver, inventory control software and general datastorage.

Would buy it again

Thanks

it's not bad - I'd look at an hp microserver though

I'll keep that in mind

Are those more specific for NAS storage?

It doesn't have 17k hours of uptime if you had to reboot it 84 times you moron

I meant power-on time :)

not as such, but they can make a good simple nas - they're just as they appear, general purpose servers for light office use, compact and low power use - the early ones (N40L etc.) are a but underpowered for today, but later gens are a good bit more beefy CPU wise

That's decent but i wouldn't personally buy a tower server, just in case you become a /homelab/ enthusiast and decide to get more. Better to get a 1u server or something and in the future invest in a proper rack

At the moment is impossible to mount a rack, so I'm more confortable with this kind of solution

Make sure you do NOT place this on the floor. It is practically a vacuum cleaner that will suck in all dust bunnies on the floor and turn the server into a candidate for the server horror pictures we occasionally see.

Thanks for the pratical tip.
Any suggestion where to put it?
I already have a "studio" for all the PC, switch and modem, is a shelf ok or is there a better place?

Air filters on the fans are an horrible solution?

Im using a e8400 for plex and it plays 265 fine so i would guess the xeon will do fine.

>stable linux distro like Debian
Which release? Im not OP but I have my file server running Debian 7 and its extremely stable. Im afraid of upgrading to newer versions due to systemd. Have you had any reliability issues with releases newer than 7?

Yeah, I did some test with other PC as Plex server but I discovered that my problem was a too limited lan bandwith insted of an old cpu.
The most of the time the file is shared and not encoded.

Can always just put the damn thing in the rack, would probably fit on its side just fine.