Computer science isn't a me-

>computer science isn't a me-

To be fair that's what most of these losers will be doing in the field assuming they don't end up asking if you want fries with that. A computer science major is the wrong choice if you don't want to do actual science and are just trying to be a code monkey, but people who don't know shit keep pretending it is a "coding degree" without realizing how stupid a concept that is.

>computer science
>actual science

No, the purpose of their education is to learn it from scratch so that they will be able to solve something when a ready made solution is none existent.

I mean, I get that the point is to learn how to do stuff yourself, but in the real world if you need to do something and someone else has a solution that you can freely use in whatever way you want that works perfectly, why wouldn't you take the path of least resistance?

I dont think lifting parts of code to use in a project is really that bad desu

Don't blame them, blame the universities and employers. Plenty of employers will list "A B.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent" and universities have been twisting them more and more into coding degrees for years because that's what the market wants and they've really taken to the "university is job training" idea. I agree that's not university's place or what computer science really means, but it's what it's become and it isn't the fault of the people just doing what employers and universities demand of them.

> computer science
> HTML onscreen
> "I can't be bothered to remember all this crap"
I blame big corps trying to bring wages down by flooding the market

I don't get why in my uni there's people in Comp Sci but they really don't have a passion for it.

What are they in for? The coder meme?

They have no idea what they want to do with their lives, but they need to eat, so they go where the plentiful jobs are, reasoning "Sitting down at a computer and typing some shit can't be too bad".

First, not all CS is muh coding. Second, maybe to understand different concepts that can benefit them in another capacity Third, having a "passion" for something, != excelling at it or the ability to apply it in the real world.

Oops, I missed that you asked what they're in for. In my experience most of them wash out. Programming isn't like working in retail where you just have to do stuff somewhat mindlessly and new tasks are thrown at you constantly, you're left to your own devices to actually *think* about a problem and come back with a solution. Some of them struggle through that but most of them just can't handle it and bail.

wew
now i get why indians and chinese are all over it

>First, not all CS is muh coding
If they aren't there for the coding, they sure as shit aren't there for the first order logic module.

>Second, maybe to understand different concepts that can benefit them in another capacity
I think I know one person who does this kind of education and they're A: 50 and B: rich. This might explain a solitary example in that guy's whole university, assuming it's a regular university, the rest of them are not doing this. Young people almost invariably have neither the resources nor the interest to do something like this, and they are the vast majority of university students.

>Third, having a "passion" for something, != excelling at it or the ability to apply it in the real world.
True.

>Taking class in microsoft bullshit
>teacher is a pajeet who cant speak English
>lecture notes are verbose and unimgormative
>assignments assume you not only read the lecture notes but also know the corperate technology inside out
>get database error
>cant fix it
>fix it by compiling my code on school computers who have the latest visual studio™ installed.
> meanwhile pajeet is acing the class by copying everyone from github and changing variable names.

That class was a redpill, cheating is just another skill you need to aquire a job in tech. Moral fags gtfo

It's not a required skill if you go to a half decent university and not some community college designed to keep kids from being unemployed for a few more years.

All online colleges require you to cheat or "Google"

Harvard allows cheating in their CS class iirc, "if you get caught don't do it again!"

That's why degrees from Harvard aren't as impressive as people think. Rapid grade inflation "EVERYONE GETS AN A!!!!! B IF YOU ALMOST FAIL!!!!!!!!!"

People see "Harvard" and think WOW that guy is WICKED SHMART!

Also, I'd say most people doing CS are dumb - average.

They want to be code monkeys. Use the latest stacks and program web sites.

I think CS should be in the math department and require everyone majoring in it take all required pure math classes along with specialized CS courses.

I think the field is full of retards. I almost have no respect for CS majors.

I find it doubtful that you'd ever finish your degree if you only lifted stuff from the net. For one you'd need to understand where that codeblock would fit into your task or the rest of your codebase and secondly you'd need to fix variable names and resolve dependencies etc. At that point you should be able to write the program anyways. Also anything more specific than bubblesort should be hard to find in the first place if it refers to tasks assigned by a university.

>they sure as shit aren't there for the first order logic module
Made me snort

All you faggots do is sit on this website and complain. You all are the real retards lmao.

t. Person who completed nothing

Jokes on you, currently working on my PhD in Applied Technology Evangelism

For a decent job maybe?

Can't expect everyone to be passionate about their career.

Chinks are almost always like this, they just go after the most lucrative profession they can.

The most important part of being an effective developer is knowing what you need to do yourself and knowing what someone else has done before you.

>sitting on the website and complains about people sitting on the website complaining
I am aware that I am sitting on Sup Forums complaining about people who sit on this website and complain about people sitting on this website complaining.

My point exactly, found another retard. I stated a fact, didn't complain.

Computer Science education aims to create well-rounded programmers. Some assignments do indeed allow students to use third party libraries to focus on other important factors. Other assignments don't allow any, so as to force the student to learn how the technology is implemented. As much as people like to complain about re-inventing the wheel, it is a useful exercise to prepare the student for when they have to create something that does not yet exist.

4 years of copy pasting code does not prepare one to push boundaries in technological advancement. It prepares you to profoundly declare that this is someone else's problem. The purpose of higher education is to make it so that you can be that someone else. To paraphrase one of the professors at my university, "we don't care what kind of job our students are doing immediately after they graduate, we care what they're doing 20 years after they graduate." That is to say, while it is likely that you will end up writing CRUD web apps once you have your bachelor's, you aren't likely to be still copy pasting code a few decades down the line, and you should be prepared to solve whatever new challenges your company throws at you.

>The coder meme?
That's what 90%+ of CS graduates will end up doing notwithstanding memes like sysadmins or "network engineers".

Expecting all of them to become the next dijkstra and pumping out papers all day is pretty far from reality

I just got my BS in CS almost exactly 1 month ago. I start work next month making 60k in south florida. Just got my car and now im looking for an apartment close to downtown. CS is a meme only if you have crippling autism or are just a lazy fuck with no passion or curiosity in computers.

desu my school actually lower length of programming classes in 1st and 2nd year.
because "it's impossible to learn C/C++ well in 45*.75 hours, and we can only teach you concepts or aswer your questions if you have any problems. besides, during your senior year you'll have program so much in 6 different languages, you'll get sick of it."

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact you are the king of retards.

CS is a degree for retards.
Like, no joke, I was penetration-testing a system for a friend a few days ago and he was conducting job interviews for the positions of sysadmin and junior dev meanwhile nearby.
You would be surprised how many fucking retards that have a bachelors diploma in CompSci can't even name the order of cables in CAT5 when crimping it or estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle.
And I majored in Applied Physics/Electrical Engineering and minored in Medicine, for crying out loud. I shouldn't be the one who knows this shit.

t. Slav

>compuger science (for lack of a better word)

Everything is a meme just do whatever the fuck you want.

>CS learning EE stuff
I... what?

It's true that programmers in the workplace frequently copy paste code from the internet, but the copied code is generally only useful as a starting point, not as completed work (or even work that's close to being completed). Generally speaking, you can't cheat your way through your job in the real world because the only people who know about your company's codebase are the people in your company.

>>CS learning EE stuff
?
Is being capable of estimating O(f(n)) not expected of a CS major?

Why doesn't the private sector respect computer science? During my interviews they basically only asked about stuff that I was doing in the first two years of my degree.

You're the retarded one if you think this is part of CS.

Because those are the parts that matter to companies.

>HURRR BEEG-O WORKS EVERYWHERE
You sound like the intern at my job last year.

Stories please.

>And I majored in Applied Physics/Electrical Engineering and minored in Medicine, for crying out loud. I shouldn't be the one who knows this shit.

You sound like such a fucking faggot.

CS or EE? In terms of job availability and security.

Accounting bro

CS by a long shot. Every EE field that doesn't involve software is in "consolidation," and the salaries of pretty much every job that isn't in semiconductors are far from where even entry-level CS incomes are.

Basically now that every Pajeet seems to know Cadence Virtuoso and Verilog, every EE company is trying their best to outsource and H1-B their workforce. Shit, Intel's middle-management is filled with Pajeets.

If you really want to do EE-type stuff, follow the IoT meme. Which is still largely software.

That sucks.
Accounting isn't even going to be out sourced it's getting automated hard.

You have to add the word "public" in front of accounting if you want actual job security. The life of a CPA is the very definition of the rat race however.

>CS
>Lifting other code is considered bad practice
>Math
>Lifting other people's finds is considered normal practice

makes you use your noggin.

Nobody says anything against using available libraries and algorithms, which would be the counterpart to using established proofs.

What's the stance on Bsc versus a Master's in the US? I feel like a Bsc isn't enough in europe.

how well could you write before attending?, not sure if im just bad at self learning, or I shouldnt put too much energy into something ill never be great at

so you would be against somebody taking a solution to a problem in math just because he didn't calculate it?

>If they aren't there for the coding, they sure as shit aren't there for the first order logic module.

I've had classmates back in my college days who were more interested in theory of CS, first order logic, theory of languages and all that stuff rather than coding. Actually, they were pretty bad at coding and some of them eventually transitioned to pure Math degrees, but yeah it's entirely plausible.

>computer sience

This Do you know how many IT positions there are that want a CS or equivalent degree? Its ridiculous

>you shouldn't use stackexchange
>>Why?
>because I said so, that's why

In high school my teacher used publicly available tests so I spent an entire year remembering answers to hundreds of questions on tests we had several times a week.

Didn't learn shit but now I can remember massive chunks of information and shit it out.

The people I know who got their masters found work pretty easily and opened themselves up for more jobs out of state. However I always point out to people that masters programs are reserved for people with good grades so I think these people would have done just fine with a Bs. I don't know anything about europe though.

Never wrote any code before college. I went into CS because I was slightly more math inclined in high school and I wanted to learn how the internet worked.

thats a pretty valuable skill tbqh

>computer science
>actual science

>estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle
what ?
is there something missing or have i lost 90% of my cognitive functions ?
wth does in a cycle mean ?

>I am very smart

The post

Yes, if you cant fully demonstrate a proof by hand and/or use other proofs that prove your point, your proof will never be accepted.

>calculate
>in math research
Oh boy

By luck, I came upon a job listing last year that had minimal requirements. You need to search harder and wait for an opportunity. In meantime you should lower the bar and work at McDonalds or something.

>tfw you realize this post isn't even bait, it's actually some underaged loser high schooler pretending to be smart

well, desu, it isn't

Compared to all the other shit you can end up doing, "sitting down at a computer and typing some shit" is pretty fucking good and I'd be doing it even if it paid $10/hr

Who the fuck takes a compsci degree just to learn how to code? If you're actually passionate about coding then you can learn it just fine on your own and build a portfolio on your free time. 90% of people with compsci degrees will just end up being code monkeys instead of doing what they actually want to do.

this is Sup Forums, people here think studying CS means learning how to code and don't understand why you need to learn math, automata theory, formal languages, etc when studying CS because "you don't need any of that to be a programmer"

>60k
Lol I make more than that as a waiter.

that's the spirit ! you don't need to be ashamed that you are a begger living off donations from other people because they pity you !

>Get computer sciences degree
>Start own company about a year ago
>STILL get emails and calls from people that received my contact information from my college that desperately want to hire me

Why are companies so thirsty for people who actually know how to do shit? I'm not even bothering to respond to them anymore

That's a starting salary.

>walk in with comptia, cisco, and microsoft certs
>get hired with better pay because I know what the fuck I'm doing.

CS degrees are being recognized as a joke. Certifications are where it's at.

>tfw CSC Major
Am i really wasting my time. I like coding a lot, and don't want to be stuck doing IT or some shit. What do I do Sup Forums?

are you from the bay area?

what should you do? Dont listen to Sup Forums. 95% of the ppl on this board have never had an IT job. Keep studying retard, are you really gonna throw away college because Sup Forums told you to?

whats CSC ?
but if you want to get a programming job, just build up a github portfolio.

small contributions to FOSS projects < working on a FOSS project < being maintainer of a FOSS project

contributions to projects that are included in the official repos of major distributions (debian, rhel/centos, fedora, ubuntu, suse,..) > maintaining your own little projects if they aren't included in any official repos.

>this is me
>hate CS
>probably too late, just finished 2nd year

;_;

No, I live in Belgium. I won a couple of national programming contests so that got their dicks all fired up I guess?

Getting the job done with the least amount of work, resources and fiddling done in a sane and safe manor is literally all that matters.

Anyone that says to contrary is a greasy jew.

CS has always been a meme

For reference, I'm an EE major.

One of the CS classes I had to take was an OOP/data structures calss. The point was to familiarize EEs with OOP concepts and data structures. Anyways, the professor didn't give a shit if you searched the internet, because his view of the class was that it was more important to understand why you would use a given data structure or algorithm, rather than implement it. In reality, you're never going to need to know a hundred different algorithms off the top of your head, because anyone with some programming experience should be able to implement an algorithm for their use case after a quick lookup. So he was consistently more concerned with us understanding the pros and cons to different data structures/algorithms/paradigms and why'd you use them than if we could memorize the algorithm. To that end, most of his assessments were on what to use rather than how to use it. The other important thing he did was gave assignments that forced the use of a given concept in a specific application, that couldn't be pulled from the internet. So even though we could just google how to implement a given sorting function or whatever, we still had to build it into the assignment.

Anyways, CS majors are chumps. Graduate CS is respectable, because it actually deals with computational theory and the study of algorithms, but a B.S. CS degree is just a shitty code monkey degree. Most universities just slam you with how to do 101 things in [university's this will get you a job language] (mine is C++, a lot are Java).

I got more programming experience my first year as an EE than the CS majors at my school get in four years. I had to learn (a small fraction of because it's a retarded language) C++, Python, strict C, x86_64 assembly, Lisp, and Verilog. Sure, I don't know nearly as much about C++, but all they can do with it is churn shitty pooinloo tier code if the task is spelled out for them.

>60k
Lol what the fuck? You don't even need to go to college to make that money.

It's possible they just hate their university and actually like computer science.

I'm in 4th year computer engineering and I fucking hate the program. Instead of studying, I often just work on side projects, since grades don't really matter as long as I get above 60%.

EE with self taught CS. Any idiot can learn to program. electrical engineering will give you more critical thinking skills and a stronger background.

Lmao
Le trash man does videos now?

>You would be surprised how many fucking retards that have a bachelors diploma in CompSci can't even name the order of cables in CAT5 when crimping it or estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle.
I have a bachelor in CS and I have no idea what you're talking about

>Any idiot can learn to program.
Yeah, just like any idiot can learn how to solder shit together

>
k
>Lol what the fuck? You don't even need to go to college to make that money.
If you live in a flyover state/rural area it's actually a lot where good housing is super cheap.

>I studied CS!
>I'm so much better. I studied EE!
>Pffft, math major 300k starting!
>Like, can any of you stupid virgins finally fix the damn printer?

>EE
>soldering shit together
Nice joke. That's like saying anyone can learn mechanical or structural engineering because anyone can bolt shit together. Any decent EE program has just as much if not more logic and theory material than CS, because of the digital world we live in. EE programs generally focus on the higher reasoning and design aspects because it's fucking engineering. Hypothetically CS degrees would too, but at every university besides some top tier one, the program has deteriorated into a code monkey production program, which anyone can do.

Nope

>Nice joke
i know, almost as good as

>CS
>learn to program

I work in a University Registry - fucking Engineering students make up 90% of my academic misconduct casework.

What degree should I go for then?

A thousand times this.

>he was consistently more concerned with us understanding the pros and cons to different data structures/algorithms/paradigms and why'd you use them than if we could memorize the algorithm

You really should understand how the data structures and algorithms work because you can implement their ideas in new situations. It's also necessary to understand these algorithms to do time complexity analysis on them, which will help you do time complexity analysis on future projects.

>Yeah, just like any idiot can learn how to solder shit together

This is funny because I would bet at least half of the electrical engineers in this planet and probably much more, don't have any idea how to solder properly or at all.

Most EE programs don't teach that shit, engineers don't do that shit, technicians do.

Now kys code monkey numale homo