/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Andy Rubin's Essential phone unveiled with unique edge-to-edge screen
gsmarena.com/essential_phone_unveiled_unique_edgetoedge_screen_modular_photography-news-25311.php

Exclusive: This is the Essential Phone
theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

The Essential Phone doesn’t consider a headphone jack essential
theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711282/essential-phone-no-headphone-jack

First look at LG V30 shows Full Vision display, new color
gsmarena.com/first_look_at_lg_v30_shows_full_vision_display_new_color-news-25312.php

Nubia Z17 Launched With 8GB of RAM, Bezel-less Design & Snapdragon 835
gizmochina.com/2017/06/01/nubia-z17-launched-8gb-ram-bezel-less-design-snapdragon-835/

Moto Z2 Play goes official along with new Moto Mods
gsmarena.com/moto_z_play_2_goes_official_along_with_new_moto_mods-news-25374.php

HMD confirms Nokia 6, 5 and 3 will get Android O
gsmarena.com/hmd_confirms_nokia_6_5_and_3_will_get_android_o-news-25372.php

Huawei P10 Lite review
gsmarena.com/huawei_p10_lite-review-1617.php

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

support.essential.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008016048-Where-is-the-Essential-Phone-made-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for best phone of 2017

Thoughts?

>No headphone jack
>No SD card slot
>Best

That camera had better be DSLR quality with a bump like that.

How is the xiaomi 4x camera/display vs the note 4?

My company ordered a "XIAOMI 4 PHONE" for me to replace my current samsung manlet 1 core phone but I don't fucking know which one am I going to get, or if its even a fucking xiaomi

Unusable. Just like G6.

they neutered the one thing making the Z line worth owning

gg lenovo

Reposting in case you didn't see:

this is a common problem when installing an incompatible supersu/root. find a supersu you know will work, do a full reflash of the rom and try again. if you're able to access twrp you could try uninstalling your incompatible supersu, wiping cache and dalvik and booting, but i doubt it'll work.

New unlocked BB Passport for €181 (~ $183). Yes or no?

Does Nougat have noticeably better battery life than Marshmallow?

Enough that losing xposed Greenify and Amplify (the paid versions of those) isn't a big loss?

That color scheme is ugly as hell.

Not if they gave you $183.

So what's the Sup Forums recommended custom ROM? Lineage? AOSPExtended? RR? PA?

>inb4 Replicant

greenify is nougat compatible. i'm using it myself.

I know the non-xposed part is. I was talking about the extra features it offers if you have xposed.

ok with green

not okay with red

what particular feature are you looking for? you don't need xposed for hibernating system apps anymore.

HTC U11
OP5

This opinion should be punishable by law
>le ebin front camera is essential
>no, SD cards aren't
>no, aesthetics aren't
>no, Headphone jacks aren't

There's no real variety in ROMs these days. AOSPE stands out a bit as it's based on pure AOSP, not LOS. And LOS itself is as barebones as ever. First try ROMs that are unique to your phone, then AOSP-based ROMs, the LOS-based ones, and stick with whichever works the best on your particular phone.

Things like Doze On The Go (stops significant motion like walking and driving from interrupting doze mode) and coalescing the wakeup timers. I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference those make but I have to imagine it isn't harming my battery life.

There's also Amplify which I'm concerned about, the paid version of which gives you full control over the various wakelocks on a davice.

Thank you, I'm currently running LineageOS and it's ok but also wanted to try both AOSPE and ResurrectionRemix, all have official builds for my phone.
Should I go for it?

Is that guy who complained about EE at the start of the previous thread still here? I'm the guy who replied to him saying I was going to go to an EE shop today, and thanked him for the warning about trying to upsell you. They tried the EXACT SAME trick on me; they must do nothing else all day.
>Hello, I need a new phone with contract and I want to spend about £15 a month
>Yeeaaahhhh mandem u gots 2 gets u this fone kontract for £25 a month
I had already been to the Carphone Warehouse shop, and they were much nicer, so I went back there and got a Motorola (owned by Lenovo! Literally Thinkpad: the phone! Am I the only person who didn't know this?) Moto G5.

Did I dun goofed? Is the Motorola Moto G5 a good phone?

Do a backup in TWRP so you can easily revert to your current setup if you don't like something. Just download them all and check them out one after another.

>Having to use a 3rd party app to have anywhere near decent battery life
No wonder Android is utter shit.

>having too
stupid summer child

>improving already insanely good battery life with the help of 3rd party apps

I'd say that's a good thing.

The bump is there for the motomods

But it's fucking useless. SOT won't be affected much and standby should already be great if you don't have trash running in background.

someone post the making fun of iphone greentext

Why can't I get a flip phone smart phone like the gooks can reeeeeeeee

what the fuck are you talking about?

>I like doing everything on a tiny-ass screen

Greenify. And other "battery boosters". Since Nougat they can actually be harmful.

Fuck you commie I like having buttons and a clamshell design. I miss when every phone had that shit.

>Since Nougat they can actually be harmful

if they're incompatible, which increasingly they are not. greenify is fully compatible and working like a charm. they're already working on an xposed update too.

what's your damn problem?

Will do yes, thanks user

So what phone would Sup Forums recommend I get? USA on Verizon, is there any hope for me? Are there still phones out there with unlockable bootloaders? Haven't gotten a new phone since the galaxy s3

u11 and essential will both work on verizon, though in the u11's case it has no cdma bands so if your area doesn't have good lte coverage for some reason it won't be much of an option

I heard the essential doesn't even have a headphone jack, kind of a turn off for me. I live near Cleveland though, we have really good LTE coverage here. u11 is looking pretty good, I actually kind of forgot about HTC

are there any phones under £200 that actually have somewhat a good camera that doesn't struggle in low light conditions, the moto G5 is pretty good but is there anything better?

Just ordered a Zuk Z2 Pro (6/128) how did I do /spg/ ?

My current phone is a Moto G 2nd Gen 16gb

I asked the seller to leave the default chinese ROM and everything

this, also
>water resistance is not essential
>fagotronic meme modules like 360 camera are tho :^)

>water resistance is not essential
It isn't. I agree on the rest, don't like that phone at all.

I miss physical keyboards on phones. They made everything less of a hassle compared to modern-day on-screen keyboards

You did good lad.

No matter the phone you buy you will still be a Mexican subhuman

Statistics show the second leading cause of smartphone failure is liquid damage (the first being damaged screens). 33% of broken smartphones are accidentally damaged by water.

For people that actually leave their basements and actually use their phones, water resistance is far more essential than say, an SD card

I got a second job at the postal service and need a phone so I can text and search directions for addresses on the go. I usually just use a tablet and wifi but I got fucked over today, so I just need something that I can use on the job.

He's baiting. Don't feed him.

I already told my problem. They are useless unless your phone is filled with garbage. Same goes for RAM cleaners. All of this stuff duplicates capabilities already built into Android. Undervolting can get some results. Forcedoze can get some results as well, but only because it disables Doze's retarded dependence on motion sensors. The king of battery saving is, and always will be, simply disabling the mobile data.

Envious?

that cracked me up

>tfw I just want a non shit phone that doesn't turns off at 80%
>DUDE WALL

I'm leaving this shithole soon If you care so much, don't worry I'm white

Looking at the Moto G5 myself fellow Brit. Think it's a good buy for mid-range.

Will buy online as on giffgaff so don't want no contract phone shop shit.

I have a xperia Z1 and I'm about to break it in half because of how much it pisses me off.
Any chink phone for up to ~$100 that has similar specs?
Fucking hell, all I want is either custom ROM support or not needing to go through some convoluted mess of a process to get root, fuck Sony

stock android already has better battery life and ram management than iCuck, even without 3rd party shit.

>being this butthurt that there are 3rd party apps for improving your phone

LG V10 vs ZTE Axon 7?

Moto G5 has no compass whereas my first gen Moto G does...why? Does this make a real difference?

What country? Budget?

Moto G4 Play or BLU R1 HD

Zuk z2 has the fastest gps chip + plastic hull

Is Samsumg the best brand for android phoned to play mobile games? Gonna buy a new android since my old S5 has a shit habit of flashing its screen in standby mode and leaving the screen black after the flash. Sometimes it works like it should but shit sucks.

redmeme note 4x sd625 worth it?
also is the dead pixels thing true?
need a phone but dont want to waste all my money

Sup Sup Forums
How can i get tatianium backup to work with my Zuk Z2? It has magisk root, and titanium says it cant detect root(my last phone used SU, which worked fine)

Trying to move over a few apps from my shitty chink phone to me new, non-shitty chink phone.

How bad is a mediakek helio p25? What would be the snapdragon counterpart?

SD605 probably...

X is the highend ones that would compete with snapdragons modern mid-range ones(like the 625)

>listened to Sup Forums
>got a 6P
>fucking thing is a god damn radiator of nuclear heat
>battery life has gone to shit after a year

Fuck you guys.

What specifically are we going to miss in the corners?

That's not the correct root for Z2, you should be using SR3-SuperSU-v2.79.

PS: I'm using Titanium Backup myself without issues on the Zuk Z2.

finally on 16nm.
would buy if they fixed their gps but not chink shit branded phones.

anyway, what phone is that?

nah, 605 is old 28nm. the mediaturd goes to 2.5GHz.
>inb4muhipc

Should I get a Exnyos s8 now or wait for the ip8.

What's the general opinion on the Pixel?

The reviews all seem a little too similar to each other with "best Android phone"catch phrase, hard to trust it them. But I loved my old HTC One. Anything on Pixel 2?

Pixel 2 in august. it's a good phone, we generally approve of it.

Just kys yourself

Don't buy LG phones. They will bootloop within 2 years.

xiaomeme mi mix

August? Where'd you get that? I was anticipating October

>the ip8
kill urself.

is it hardware or software?

they're both trash.

That Essential phone looks nice to.

Is it legit?

I'm looking at getting one of these as well to pair with it, completely give up my freedom. For some reason I feel like I will be able to do more with voice commands with the pixel.

May have scored an s8+ for 630usd.

Waiting for weekend to be over so they will ship it.

Any thoughts?

Axon 7 famalamlam

Why nigga

bls halp

I have an unlocked 32GB pixel XL

How high should I aim for resale?

bout tree fiddy

doogee mix
I am considering getting it since it's very cheap($179) 6gb+64gb, but it is not clear if the display is 1080p or 720p.

>still now headphone amp/DAC moto mod
Are they retarded?

Is it safe to assume that the essential is made in China? Isn't the pixel as well?

Confirmed tainted by chink hands
support.essential.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008016048-Where-is-the-Essential-Phone-made-

There is an FAQ on Essential's site.

That fucking phone. Battery life of a midge. I switched to a fricking budget phone (g4 play), and it's a hell of a lot more well rounded

Quicker to ask

Into the trash it goes. What the fuck are the alternatives? Just LG/Samsung (Korean) right?

How'd I do guys?

Currently on Verizon for work. Should I go for the HTC U11, wait for the Essential, or get something else?

Sony's Xperia line is manufactured in Japan.

Is that line worth a shit though. I know nothing about it.