/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Amateur_radio#Software_list
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

saved

They're even calling it the proper way.
It's like they know what a Sup Forumsentooman needs from his distribution

install SourceMage

This is the bit that finally captured my heart:

openssl s_client -connect devuan.org:443 ^/dev/null | grep issuer
issuer=/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3

noob here
what does it imply?
are free certificates good or not?

Why can't I start gnome-settings-daemon with i3? It works fine with mate-settings-daemon, but gnome-settings-daemon doesn't seem to exist. Output of whereis gnome-settings-daemon

gnome-settings-daemon: /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon /usr/share/gnome-settings-daemon

But these are just directories.

>Let's Encrypt Authority
noice

Let's Encrypt exists to make having a valid certificate so easy and straightforward that people will have no excuse not to, in hopes that that will encourage widespread use of HTTPS. That makes them the current crypto 'cool guys' and makes people with a similar stance on security flock around them. That is why a certificate by them gives someone like me a huge crypto-boner.

The certificates themselves aren't necessarily any better or worse than anyone else's, although they are quite short-lived, which is nice.

hey Sup Forums, so I got my ham technicians license and a baofeng a while ago and wanted to get more into the desktop amateur radio side of things. i do already have some experience with linux

i looked at wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Amateur_radio#Software_list and there is a lot of different stuff out there. i know i should probably try it all and see what i like, but its a lot. if youre into amateur radio, what do you personally use? i like the idea of a logger if it could show me the data in an interesting way, but im not even sure what else i would really want

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent of Thumbnail Me for Fedora?

It's to create a series of thumbnails in a single jpg picture, btw.

Just figured this out myself:
Version 3.23.2
==============

- This update requires gnome-session 3.23.2. It splits up
gnome-settings-daemon into separate helper daemons, making it
easier to root cause possible problems, and paving the way
to using systemd to handle the session
- Remove localeexec wrapper now that gnome-session implements
that work-around
- Loads of build fixes

I want to die

Who's excited for Debian Stretch official release?!

More excited for Fedora 26 desu senpai, Debian is trash

I am! Are you going to a release party
?

>and paving the way to using systemd to handle the session

My god. It goes deeper than I thought.

>bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658
>Please do not default to using Google nameservers

>Since the Google resolvers are a very reliable widely anycasted service
>which third parties are encouraged to use they actually look like a sane
>fail-safe default, hence I am closing this bug.

>These "privacy and surveillance issues" are substantially fictional.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I think I won't be celebrating the coming release with you guys.

>systemd related

intall devuan

don't question it goy

This is what happens when you let literal hobbyists develop and maintain packages. The Debian 'Security' team is an utter joke, they cause more bugs than they fix because they're constantly modifying packages because obviously they know better than the upstream devs

Use Fedora.

I will. It hurts me to say farewell to Debian, but I see that I must.

Do Devuan use the Debian repos? I want to try it but the reason I moved from Debian was the idiotic package maintainers and developers.

I'm still a bit impressed that we could have a sane init discussion at the last thread. What made the difference?

well, technically all what google knows is your ip
that said
>These "privacy and surveillance issues" are substantially fictional.
meh
luckily this is just one post of one (1) guy

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The day NixOS gets an alternative to systemd (and they want to I think, some people may have even started working toward that)
Is the day that NixOS becomes the new god tier distro. It'll surpass "install gentoo" level of memery and will be the go-to recommendation for all new users because it's a breeze to install and maintain.

You heard it here first folks. It's going to happen.

Can someone give me a tl;dr why Arch switched to systemd? Wasn't Arch supposed to be
>giving you all freedoms to build you own system - the arch (KISS) way

It's not exactly easy to just say no when the NSA is knocking on your door.

It already does, you idiot, with logind.

"simple" in Arch-speak isn't the KISS/UNIX way of being simple; that's a community meme. Simplicity means in Arch context; convenience, or as I've recently taken to calling it "it just works".

No, they have separate repos and mirrors. They maintain their own stuff, especially from packages where memed was involved.

So, I've played around with GNU+Linux for a while now. I've used several distributions, and I've come to understand what distro-hopping is, and why it is bad practice. What I still don't understand, and why I've gone back to using Windows 7 as my main operating system is the benefits for the average desktop user (say a student) who doesn't necessarily need the security benefits (apart from securing tax information, theses, and personal information with GPG against your average thief at a tertiary campus) or the FOSS use-case for customization and code corroboration.
I'm really fine with Google, Microsoft, even the whole botnet meme selling and reselling my metadata to generate some of their income - not only that but to at least provide more relevant advertising - even though I use Fair Ads and Scriptish on most websites. I even attended a one day seminar by Thomas P. Keenan on his book 'Technocreep'. It was interesting, and I understood the implication for privacy and compartmentalizing your technology platform use (for instance, using a cell-phone for SMS and voice-calls, an eBook for PDF reading, Facebook for reconnecting to old friends and social networking but not blogging; similar to the UNIX philosophy of one program per function and why people are hating on systemd).
I'm just not convinced. Even right now, I'm setting up an UberStudent guest OS on my machine, and I don't know why I'm wasting my time with it when alternativeto provides me with all of the FOSS and libre software I need to avoid spending more money on proprietary software, and give me a slight assurance of some added security.
Just, why should I bother? WINE is horrible, and PlayOnLinux is annoying. Sure, I could have Windows as a guest OS, but why would I bother when can accomplish all of the same tasks under a penguin OS when I can just use Windows alone.
Are we all just deluding ourselves with the benefits of 'security, privacy, & FOSS' to justify tinkering with other GUIs?

Friendly thread.

I don't want to sound like a shill (shilling for free shit lol) but I think Devuan or rather the whole "init freedom" ideology made the difference.

My theory is that systemd controversy was quite literally "a distribution problem".
Few months ago systemd dectractors had nowhere to go. You were either forced to eat up your bowl of shit or switch to a distribution like gentoo or slackware which (without trying to play down their existence) honestly noone cares about.
The level of entry for a distribution like that is simply too high for your average user.
But now we do have an alternative. Alternative with a solid base, alternative that works that you can either install right now or simply upgrade from your current installation and that's no harder to use and get accustomed to than Debian - a vastly popular distribution that most people are already familiar with.

Now we're in a different situation. Systemd proponents had their distribution, anti-systemd camp now has their own distribution they can feel safe about. But most importantly people still-using-systemd-but-not-so-sure-anymore have an alternative. So instead of justifying their choice (or lack of thereof) in a book example of defense mechanism they all know that in case one day they'll get fed up, they will have somewhere to go. So they can start looking more critically at systemd instead of playing down it's fuckups.

Init freedom initiative and the distribution that will spark from it quite possibly relieved a lot of the pressure in the community.
So it opens a way of discussing the problem that is init monoculture instead of one camp shitting on the other because of their clear superiority as the majority in power (the "lelele go back to your neckbeard distros" argument).

Everybody wins, nobody loses. What's not to love user?

>Use Fedora.
this

NixOS have stated many times that they aren't moving from systemd, as magical as that would be.

LOL!

My melanin varietied bretherin.

>the debian sec team is bad, g-go and u-use the red hat testbed!
here is your (You) now hit the road

easy
when you call free software like systemd botnet or (((the jews))), people call you a paranoid faggot
when you say, man, a single, profit oriented company should get this much power, people understand what you mean

shouldn't*

your 'LOL!' meme doesnt work, pls stop
here's how it works: don't reply or if you really need to reply #rekt it

my 2cents

devuan provides a great alternative for long time debian users, especially server users. Also it is already a base for a few alternate distros, including a linux-libre one which is candidate to be a FSF approved distro.

I'd help, but srsly tl;dr

Your freedom and privacy aren't only yours. They took many generations and buckets of blood to conquer and every time you give them away you're making it a little bit harder for everyone else to keep theirs.

Proprietary software isn't only about not being able to see code you wouldn't understand anyway. It's fundamentally antisocial. It subverts traditional notions of property by making developers the de facto (and increasingly also de jure) owners of the devices we buy. It essentially stratifies society into a ruling class of copyright holders and developers and a ruled class of users by giving the former power over the latter's electronic devices. It alienates people from culture by promoting a vertical model where they can only partake in cultural works as explicitly allowed - no sharing, no derivative works.

Fedora was an example of a distribution that doesn't mess with the packages friend. You have many to choose from, and Debian is still bad.

>mess
You say that like fixing common problems is a bad thing.

>appeal to the authority

Hey I heard that is gay, why aren't you taking multiple cocks in your ass right now?

Anyone know how to change tray icons that applications use? Like you can have multiple "themes" in /usr/share/icons, I really don't want to have to copy each individual icon to every single theme's 16x16, 32x32, etc. folders. Is there a simpler way?

>Wasn't Arch supposed to be
no
see that email which keeps getting posted
arch kiss refers to the developers who are actually doing the work
the less work they have to do the happier they are
if you don't like it either don't use it or change it for you

tldr you're free to use our shit but don't tell us how to do our shit
which makes sense

using debian on desktop is retarded
prove me wrong
>protip
you can't

I really like
>run_guy.png

chuckled

There already is, it's called GuixSD. It uses GNU Shepherd for init and Lisp for configuration.

That's what upstream do, fix issues.

Maybe you could create a theme that only contains those tray icons you want and have it import your main theme

Also, most newer themes use .svg so there's only a single icon which fits all sizes and those are much easier to modify. If you have an older style one that actually has multiple different size png files or something then there's really not much you can do to make the process of replacing them less tedious I don't think.

Lets do this: Show me one bad configured Debian package that is actually a mess compared to a upstream package. I'm waiting.

cdrtools excuse me cdrkit

Yeah but my claim wasn't just about systemd. It's about the full package of what NixOS offers plus the idea of it having an alternative to systemd.

In my opinion it's a winning combination.

GuixSD does not seem like a potential block buster distro to me because it lacks wifi compatibility on just about all laptops, won't allow you to do shit like play steam games, or have decent video drivers, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I do love the idea of GuixSD and they have my full support. But it's just not going to take over as a popular distro that advanced users can enjoy and also recommend to new users as well any time soon if we have to tell people they need to buy an additional USB peripheral to use wifi and that they can't use steam, etc..
NixOS has a chance though.

>They took many generations and buckets of blood to conquer and every time you give them away you're making it a little bit harder for everyone else to keep theirs.
I'll grant that much. I'm not entirely clear on what all of my rights are (it's been some time since I studied social issues), and how these rights relate to the use of modern technology which didn't exist when they were fought for and penned down as inalienable.
>It subverts traditional notions of property
I'm interested in this opinion. I'm not sure how not having equal ownership of the IP, or it not being 'copyleft' means I don't own my Ford or my Hyundai. In the case of software, I think I just don't understand how it is analogous. I can change the paint, the decaling, the hardware of my Ford but I don't understand how I should suddenly be able to copy the engine design because I spray painted it and then sell it as my own as long as they are all spray painted. Could you elaborate on the supposed analogous nature of software to 'traditional notions of property'? I'm at a loss here, and I'd rather read an opinion from someone who has studied the issue than begin studying it myself by watching and reading opinion from Stallman and Co..

We don't describe the free choice of your init system as an “alternative” to systemd, because that word presumes all the “alternatives” are legitimate and each additional one makes users better off. In effect, it assumes that free choice of your init system ought to coexist with systemd, which does not respect your free choice of your init system.

We believe that free choice of your init system is the only ethical way to make distros available for others to use. The other method, systemd, subjugates their users. We do not think it is good to offer users those “alternatives” to free choice of your init system.

The thing is I'm not sure what theme the system checks for tray icons, if it even uses those icons. I used lxappearance to change GTK themes, it affected everything but tray icons. The icons shown in a file explorer are the ones I want, but not in the tray. Right now the only idea I have is literally replacing every instance of the icons that I want but that's extremely tedious.

>won't allow you to do shit like play steam games

Why couldn't you?

Alright user.

I'm a linux newbie. Please explain to me step by step how to setup Steam on GuixSD and play my games.
I'm all ears.

LOL!

Maybe next time when you fix your arrogant "protip: le u kant XDDD" attitude.

you can't
unless the application is using you icon theme
or rebuild the application with the icon you want to replace the default one

you can add or symlink missing or new icons for your current theme in ~/.icons/current-theme/
just a tip

>The icons shown in a file explorer are the ones I want, but not in the tray.
Are you saying that icons which previously showed up as having the same icon in your file explorer and tray now have different icons after you switched the theme?

If so then it might just be that the tray icons don't immediately update. I'm just guessing though. Maybe you have to restart the tray, panel, Or worst case scenario re-login.

how can I "find" all files in the current directry that were modified in the last hour?

Have you ever played a steam game on GuixSD senpai?

Also, I hope you realize that whether or not you can play steam games on GuixSD still doesn't counter the argument I was making.
It's not the Linux kernel, you don't have the same level of hardware support for the same reasons wifi doesn't work.

and you know as well as I do that any newb asking for help on installing something like steam or proprietary drivers in the GuixSD help circles (like IRC or mailinglist) is probably going to be told to fuck off because they don't help people install proprietary shit

man find

I've restarted the system and they haven't changed unfortunately.

So you're saying they're built into the applications? That kind of sucks. Skype & Discord are closed-source so I wouldn't be able to change those easily if at all...

Doesn't work, it just brings up some help file

I'll put together what you just said in a comprehensive manner.

>I am experienced with GNU/Linux
>I have used many distros
>I understand distro-hopping is bad
>I now use Windows 7
>What are the benefits to using GNU/Linux?

This chunk of text I will reply to here:
You haven't found a purpose for GNU/Linux. You haven't adopted any of the underlying philosophies. You don't understand the core efficiency of UNIX systems, paired with the GNU toolchain.
Compiling on the platform is easy peasy. Developing on the platform is easy peasy. Packagemanager install the devutils, binutils, wget, vim, whatever the fuck you need - a lot simpler than going to a website to download Visual Studio, wait 3 hours for it to install 20 GB over the net to run a SINGLE IDE to develop code in. Trust me - I've tried devving with shit like Msys32, MinGW, etc, whatever the fuck. It's hack-strapping shit together, hoping it works. You CAN compile code written on GNU/Linux for the "Windows".

To continue contracting your post, I will continue in my next post -->

>~/.config/discord/linux-tray-unread.png
>~/.config/discord/linux-tray.png
>/opt/discord/share/discord/discord.png
>/opt/discord/share/pixmaps/discord.png
>/usr/share/pixmaps/discord.png
It should be possible to override them in the theme itself, but as a last resort you can probably just change these.
Not sure about skype, I don't use it.

>I don't need security benefits
>I don't need free open source software for customization(?)
>code corraboration

I don't know why the fuck you wouldn't need customization. Maybe you've got a mental deficiency where you don't require things to be to your liking - that's fine. But what the fuck is "code corroboration"?! Vetting people's code in a community? And you DON'T need this? Are you a fucking retard? Sorry to drop fallacies everywhere, but you make it REALLY hard not to.

Continuing:
>I'm fine with ["the botnet"] (selling of personal data")
>yada yada I have authority on the subject etc. because I attended a seminar (whoop de fucking doo who cares)
>I'm not convinced to use Linux as my operating system (main?)
>I'm wasting my time blah blah foss alternativeto on spending(... money? What? Slight security advantage?)
>WINE is horrible as is "PlayOnLinux"
>Windows guest OS would be unnecessary when possible to just use Windows
>Final statement unnecessary to whole post

I can't even touch on this entirely.
Who cares if you're fine with the botnet. That's not what Linux is for.
Who cares if you don't want to use GNU/Linux as your main OS. That's not the point of GNU/Linux, nor operating systems in general.
Who cares if you think you're wasting your time. That's not the matter of GNU/Linux developers to attend to - it's yours.
Who CARES if you THINK WINE is terrible, who CARES if you think "PlayOnLinux" is terrible, who GIVES A FLYING FUCKING SHIT if you think it's unnecessary.

You don't need GNU/Linux, and it doesn't need you.

Fuck off. Nothing has any inherent importance - and this includes you.

AND IN FUCKING CONCLUSION, the only reason you've made this post, deluding your own fucking self or not, applying your OWN fucking preconceptions OR NOT:
GIVING A SHIT ABOUT THIS IS EITHER TEARING YOU APART, OR PROVING TO BE INNATELY USELESS.

FUCK OFF AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL.
YOU HAVEN'T ATTEMPTED TO EVEN PEER INTO WHY LINUX MIGHT BE USEFUL, AND BASE YOUR """EVIDENCE""" OF """PROOF""" OFF ABSOLUTELY FUCKING BOLLOCKS PRECONCEPTIONS GIVEN BY OTHER USERS INSTEAD OF TAKING YOUR OWN CASE LOOK INTO THE SOFTWARE.

YOU ARE A FUCKING LIAR. YOU DO NOT USE GNU/LINUX. IT'S EITHER THAT OR YOU'RE THE DUMBEST MOTHERFUCKER TO ROAM THE SOFTWARE-SPHERE.

Hmm... I'm too lazy to do it that way, I have like 5-6 applications that I'd have to do that for. Thanks for the help though! I'm gonna try some more intense googling.

just learn to not reply faggots.

But I have to get angry at something, user.

I heard their certs can't be used by businesses, which sounds like it should be BS but it may have something to do with location info that LE doesn't provide?

In any case I use it for my domains and it really is beautiful.

>I'm not entirely clear on [...] how these rights relate to the use of modern technology which didn't exist when they were fought for and penned down as inalienable.
I don't think they need to relate in any special way. Freedom is just freedom, and each time you downplay yours and give it away for little or nothing, you convey the idea that it is of little value, and that it is acceptable to give it away. That increases the power of peer pressure that those who don't like our freedom can exert on us. Maybe you could make an analogy with material resources: if a lot of people started throwing away their money and the idea that money is worthless became widespread, the money of people who didn't throw theirs away would also become worthless.

On to the second point, I'm not talking about ownership of the software, but of the hardware itself, in practice. If you buy, say, a notebook, you can do whatever you want with it. You can write shit or scribble on it, or rip out the pages, you can sell it, lend it or give it away. I think you would identify the notion of "owning" the notebook with that of being able to do whatever the fuck you want with it.

But if you buy a smartphone, and it comes with software because otherwise it'd be a brick, and you can't do whatever you want with that software because it comes with a proprietary license - then you can't do whatever you want with that smartphone either. You don't own a notebook if you're only allowed to write on it with a certain kind of pen or in a certain language. You don't own a smartphone if you can only install pre-approved software from a list and you don't get a say on how that software behaves and what it does with your data. At all times, your smartphone is obeying you but also other entities that aren't you. Maybe you legally own the physical phone, but in practice legal and technical barriers are taking away certain ownership rights from you and handing them to the developers.

Apache, the Debian configuration is horrible and completely different from default, quite ridiculous.

Anyway, I hope that made sense. I'll be heading off soon, so hopefully if you want to discuss it further someone else can chip in.

This is why I prefer Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®. It gives you the tools you need to modernize your infrastructure, boost efficiency through standardization and virtualization, and ultimately prepare your datacenter for an open, hybrid cloud IT architecture. Red Hat Enterprise Linux provides the stability to take on today’s challenges and the flexibility to adapt to tomorrow’s demands.

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® delivers military-grade security, 99.999% uptime, support for business-critical workloads, and so much more. Ultimately, the platform helps you reallocate resources from maintaining the status quo to tackling new challenges. It's just 1 reason why more than 90% of Fortune Global 500 companies use Red Hat products and solutions.

what is a good Python IDE for beginners?

vim

fuck off with your meme

IDEs were a mistake. They teach you bad programming. Use any text editor.

>They teach you bad programming
Wut? They basically save you from having to worry about spelling mistakes and even looking up documentation. Like, C# in Visual Studio is just fantastic.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll have to do some light reading I suppose. The topic is vast, I know that much. I have listened to some Stallman in the past (interviews on the radio and such); I suppose I'll start with him and the FSF to see if I can get a better grasp of the reasons why they say what they do.

>C#
>Visual Studio.

Vim, Emacs

wrong thread

First for KDE

ed is the standard text editor

Is there any distro that does nothing but having the ability to compile itself?