Which programming language is best for coding video games?

Which programming language is best for coding video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Games/Tutorials/2D_Breakout_game_pure_JavaScript
github.com/jerryscript-project/jerryscript
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

JavaScript

isn't that a web thing?

C.

C# if you're comfortable using pre made game engines

HTML

C if you're starting completely from scratch, or else just use whatever your engine of choice supports. Now get off of Sup Forums and be productive

Yes but because code camps have churned out so many js developers, companies are drooling at the prospect of using JavaScript for everything because they can get js developers for $35k per year. There are even attempts at using it for embedded systems. Eventually it will all collapse but until then, expect to see JavaScript shoved into ever software nook and cranny.

C++

Thanks

they are all terrible

C++

You don't really have a choice if you want to do high-end graphics.

Consider python, it's higher level than other languages and easier to learn but can do a whole lot

6502 asm.

It's honestly a waste of time trying to make your own engine. If you want to use some of the big-boy engines: C++ for UE4, or C# for Unity. You could also use SFML (C++) if you're trying to make a 2D game.

If I wanted to take a chance with game development, I'd choose JS. I'm not really a fan, but:
>It has lots of gamedev resources
>It runs in many devices with little to no effort from the developer
I wouldn't build a AAA game with it. But it seems like a pretty good starting point.

Almost every game engine I've come across in my gamedev career has been written in C++. Almost ever gamedev job requires C++.

On mobile, there's Swift and Obj-C for iOS. Don't bother with Android gamedev since there's no jobs.

There are tons of games that run on javascript. It's not limited to the web either. You can run it on your computer without being connected to the internet. If you're starting out, javascript would be the easiest since you all you need is a browser to run your code.

but isn't c# better in the long run?

Anything from the C family.

Doesn't matter what language you learn because you're not going to flesh out your dream game anytime soon, or ever. Youll be making pong and tictactoe to learn the logic of how it comes together and then apply that to your own model.

Java

Hey, why not PHP while we're shitposting!

Sup Forums is written in PHP

C is only good if you're making a dreamcast or any other system during that gen. Everything before was assembly everything after was c++

The """BEST""" language for video games is assembly, but that's out of reach for everybody but the most autistic people on the planet.

You can write video game mechanics with any scripting or programming languages. 99% of video games is "if" statements and a series of changing integer values and True/False booleans

have fun writing a video game in x86 assembly with all the abstractions modern operating systems provide

I once wrote a rogue-like game in PHP + some JS/HTML for the front end.

Scratch

Then make them run it on DOS in real mode.

haha oh wow

Assembly

It really depends on which platform ur targeting. If ur going for pc, c/c++ or lua are good bets, but for the web, go with javascript

>ur
Seriously, how hard is it to type the extra YO for your?

none, use a free engine instead (unity, ue4, zelda classic, ogre)

this is like the 90s all over again
>there is nothing outside, go do your thing at home, like studying

is JavaScript worth learning for fun little scripts?

C#, with Unity/Mono.

So what Game Engine does Sup Forums recommend then?

JavaScript is a fucking terrible choice, no games use it
The biggest languages in gamedev are probably C++, C# and Lua

Unity and Unreal
everyone will complain about them but they're the best choices. If you think you're too cool for that, make your own

COBOL

Have you been living under a rock? There are plenty of online games (commercial and free) that are made with Javascript.

games embedded in your browser aren't real games

Are there some good free engines that I could try?

VHDL

Unity

Iv worked with C# in Unity making scripts and it's probably the same deal with C++ in unreal4 but "best" isn't really the word I'd be using to pick a language as they good for different things/plateforms like java running on everything(minecraft).

Is it possible to use unity without the editor? Just with pure code.
I dislike the point-and-clicking, i'd prefer to just write code

C, C++, C#

been meaning to crack open the quakeIII engine since it's written in C and on github if your interested in the tool itself and not making the games.

if you want to use pure code you're probably lookin for a 'framework'
there's Love2D for Lua which is good for beginners
there's Ogre3D for C++, which is bad for beginners, but I dont think you're going to find a beginner-friendly 3D engine that isn't point-and-click

C / C++ / C# (Core)

Python, Javascript, Lua (Binding)

JAI.

Pick up Unity or Unreal and learn C# or JS or whatever it is they use. Learning to draw polygons from scratch will take forever. You will take a year to learn to code Frogger from scratch. In that same year, if you pick up Unity, you could learn to make Portal from "scratch".

Depends on the size of the game.
If it's large then C++ and UE4 is your best bet.
If it smaller C# and Unity could work. I have this game "7 days to die" it's on Unity and it's hitches every few seconds because of garbage collection. Unity is not suitable for large games.

I wonder how AAA games like Master of Orion made with Unity can run smooth but your tiny game hitches every couple of seconds?
They must be doing something wrong.

>because of garbage collection
no, because people using Unity don't know how to program. It lowers the barrier of entry and makes it so any dumbass can make a game

Can you elaborate on the android part? Why are there no jobs?

If you want to make a game that's kind of what you want and is built on top of someone else's engine, use C# or Java.
If you want more control, use C++ with OpenGL.

I wonder, would anyone build a game with rust?
It has speed, safety and bindings to popular libraries in c++.

>AAA games like Master of Orion made with Unity can run smooth
Stop playing on small maps.

Making a game and programming an engine that can be used to make games are two quite different things. You can do everything by yourself but doing anything beyond the simple 'hello world' -stuff would take years. That's why most of the people end up picking something like Unity or Unreal Engine that take care of a lot of things for you. Using them still requires the ability to program though (Unity uses C# or JavaScript, Unreal is a tad harder with C++).

If you're interested in programming an engine first, take a look at a book called Game Engine Architecture, preferably the 2nd edition.

Yet, if you want to get started with very simple stuff like Breakout, Tetris, simple tower defence, space invaders, etc. Just read this developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Games/Tutorials/2D_Breakout_game_pure_JavaScript and start creating. You can easily create a small game per day and there's no need to set up tooling or anything.

>no, because people using Unity don't know how to program. It lowers the barrier of entry and makes it so any dumbass can make a game
One of the things which is lowering the barrier is the GC. And those hitches do look like a GC problem.
>They must be doing something wrong.
Judging by tons of autistic bugs they are doing a lot of things wrong.

For high end professional game dev, there are basically 2 options: C++ (UE4) or C# (Unity)
For smaller, indie games, you can use literally anything.
C++, C#, JS, Java, Python...

>attempts
github.com/jerryscript-project/jerryscript

C++ and HLSL/GLSL for graphics lua bindings for like controls and shit

> ugly website

Their code is probably shite.

> fun little scripts
Python

this

>all you need is a browser to run your code
The unfortunate thing that made JS omnipresent.

I think using a engine is the best bet.

What games? If you're talking about the game I'm making then Typescript is definitely the best. If not then you should make your question more specific.