Is threadripper /our cpu/?

Is threadripper /our cpu/?

AMD is finally bringing competition to Intel on all counts, including their server cpus.

Intel xeons won't be able to compete against price to performance along with the 64 PCIE lanes

Other urls found in this thread:

legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008
extremetech.com/computing/244074-intel-atom-c2000-bug-killing-products-multiple-manufacturers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Its definitely industry changing.

i hope to see cloud servers / vps get a shit load cheaper for core count. companies should (possible) be able to offer 2 or 3 times as many cores for the same with ebyc

Infinity Fabric changed the game

if single core performance beats ryzen, that'd be really great

It's just several ryzen dies slapped on interposer, retard.

That's what Zen 2 will be. Ryzen is hilariously unrefined, but most of it's issues should be fixable. If everything goes right, the jump from the R7 1800X to the R7 2800X will be as big as the jump from an i7 880 to an i7 2600K.

Why is everyone pretending they're going to buy the $1800 + $600 mobo halo amd product

The rumor is that TR is going to use the 2:1 IF frequency that Epyc uses, which should boost it's single-threaded performance compared to Ryzen.

>WAAAAH! Stop caring about market segments in which Intel is getting BTFO'd the fuck out!

If most consumers can't afford it might as well not exist

No one bought X99. Don't worry.

>If most consumers

Not him but this is targeting enterprise, not consumers you dumbass

No one bought or is using amd, not even you or the next guy reading this.

You're overwhelmingly underestimating enterprises.

Not surprising for a basement dwelling neet that never experienced working at all.

FOR YOU

>amd
Yeahhhhhh, no.

No one buys a katana, yet you have a collection of it.

>Is threadripper /our cpu/?
About 1% of Sup Forums users will actually purchase it.

Yeah, everyone on /g buys thinkpads, retro ibm keyboard, korean monitors, OnePlus and chink stuffs all the time!

>Q1 2018
>then there's Zen 3

fuck
I should probably wait for them to release stronger mobos then

>technology board
>you cannot care about the techonology unless you buy one

I might, if it's cheap enough.

yep

Huh when's Zen 2 coming out then? I want existing issues ironed out before upgrading.

somewhere around first half of 2018, it will come in a 7nm process and have both architecture improvements and a 50% bump to core count because of 6 core CCX against current 4 core

I love competition. Finally intel hardware will be cheaper.

Should I wait?

the motherboards/sockets will be the same, so no, you can buy stuff right now and upgrade later when you can/feel like doing it

hmm but what about those hardware faults that were reported?

>I should probably wait for them to release stronger mobos then
According to AMD the utilization of very fast ram is not only up to their microcode, but also requires refined circuit design from MOBO partners

as of now there's nothing there that can't be fixed with microcode updates, they even announced recently that there will be support for both high speed ram (3600~4000MHz), and also fixes to VM issues

They may not even exist on the CPU, and if they do, who knows if you'll run into them in a tangible way.

I doubt it will be like the jump from Nehalem to Sandy. I'm expecting more like 10% higher IPC.

GloFo's 7nm DUV (absolute ass for mass production due to 80masks and quad patterning) is Q3 2018 at best. Zen2 on 7nm is Q1 2019 based on GloFo's roadmap stating that 7nm EUV is q1 2019.

well, the 7nm process will both allow for higher efficiency and clockspeeds, but I agree, the jump won't be that big

DUV might be for CPUs, EUV might be for GPUs

Or the opposite, anyhow CPUs usually have smaller die sizes than GPUs so DUV would be a better choice for CPU

EUV is always going to be a better choice due to fucking 7nm DUV requiring quad patterning.

Will AMD release any revisions of existing models?

Not if you have to wait another year for it and you have a roadmap to uphold

Zen+ (Pinnacle Ridge) is Q1 2018.
>another year
It's like 4-6 month between DUV and EUV on GloFo's roadmaps.

Then there would be no point in getting DUV equipment working for GloFo

As of now it's unknown, but they probably won't until (next?) year, seeing how the dies with higher steppings will be kept for HEDT and server CPUs

There is, since risk production for 7nm DUV is Q2 2018.

And EUV mass production is in late 2018? What's the point of DUV?

>as of now there's nothing there that can't be fixed with microcode updates, they even announced recently that there will be support for both high speed ram

It will largely depend on the quality of your motherboard's cirquitry and fixes to the hardware stuff.

So it might be a very good idea to wait for the next generation of the boards that will shit with that latest AGESA outta the box.

Not a disaster if you buy right now though, but you probably wont get your ram way higher than 3200

EUV is q1 2019 at best. 7nm DUV is a halo node for some small dies.

Threadripper is just 2 Zen CPUs stapled together creating a huge hot steamy piece of shit, I don't know what people are pumped for?

There's only a quarter difference between the two.

this was explained a number of times, so you're just making low quality bait

tl:dr: fuck off

Hello Brian.

Anyway, ask GloFo why are they ever doing 7nm DUV since even Samsung skips straight to EUV for their 7nm node.

Because Glofo is using IBM's process, not Samsungs for 7nm

Also that means GloFo will be fabbing POWER9+/POWER10, which means crazy clocks.

Yes, I know that, but why are they not going straight for the EUV for 7nm is beyond me.

Could be capacity issues, there's no doubt one AMD product will at least be DUV while the others will be EUV, just which one?

Probably laptop APUs. Having node advantage in mobile space is everything.

Could be just some pipe cleaner product. Something like a vega version of a rx550/rx560, Fills out their product portfolio and might be a laptop dgpu etc.

I'd say it's going to be some ULV laptop APUs.

Vega is designed for 14nm, so unlikely.
Vega replacements for Polaris will be late this year anyway.

I wonder how smaller Vega will look like, since Vega's front-end is MUCH beefier.

Cryptocucks be damned I swear I'll murder every cryptocuck i see if they are going to buy Vegas en masse.

How much is the cheapest Threadripper?

We don't know. But it'll be cheap since 80% yields.

the 16 core with 1700 clockspeeds is rumored to go out at $850, that may give you an idea

>$850
Shoah.

>850

Still expensive 4 me

I'll take the SKU above the 1800X

at least they all have 64 pci lanes

lmao.

It's targeting "prosumers", enthusiasts, etc.

Epyc is targeting enterprise.

Go away, Brian.

I rather still buy intel. Their shit just works.

>intel literally became the apple of processors
kek

Hi Brian.

It just explodes.

legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008

It just bricks itself.

extremetech.com/computing/244074-intel-atom-c2000-bug-killing-products-multiple-manufacturers

>$1800 + $600 mobo halo amd product

> AMD charging Hewbrew prices

It's like you've entirely missed the point of why Ryzen/Threadripper is a popular topic.

>$1800 + $600 mobo
That'd be Intel's HEDT option.

If threadripper was $100 cheaper. I'd call it affordable.
Can still be if the mobo's aren't stupid high.

Not that I have any use for it right now. But I'm sure there's plenty of people running dual Xeons that are desperate for an upgrade.

the non X 16 core will cost (rumored) $850 user, this puts the X 16 core at around $950~$1150, this is way cheaper than intel's one, not just $100

I meant for home non profit application, many of our user's are on secondhand duel Xeons. Because of price/perf
But yes, it's still stupidly cheap.

I could see TR4 mobos being in the $400-$600 range mostly just out of historical inertial (AM4/TR4 don't even need big chipset, PCIe switches, etc., just more layers for DDR4 and PCIe), but I'd be rather surprised if the top Threadripper exceeds $1200, and I think it actually has a good chance of coming in at or under $1000 a few months after release with discounts, etc.

The $895 intro price for non-X 16c model feels plausible, but I trust it about as much as any rumor this far ahead of release.

fair enough, but it's still a really good long time investment concerning socket compatibility

why the hell people are thinking x399 boards will be so expensive?

Remember to not choke from laughter.

Same reason why you nee a k series cpu to overclock. The Jews find a way.

Oh look, Mr. Delay displaying the reason why it's so fashionably late.

>jews
>amd

I meant fuckary behind the scenes. Intel bent assrock? over with the overclock bypass. So it shows power to make them do what will.

Already bought a 7700k. I don't need that many cores, I'll wait for Zen 2 and see if they boosted their single core performance. I doubt it though, Jim Keller left AMD.

>single core performance

You don't belong on Sup Forums. Go back to .

It's got a fuckload of features and 64 PCIe lanes. Of course it's going to be expensive. More expensive than X299? Maybe. We'll see.

Their IPC will definitely improve with Zen 2. The lead architect of Zen isn't even Keller. He was just the project manager.

PCIe lanes are on the CPU, not on the motherboard, they'll probably be the same price, AMD has a bigger socket with more pins, but Intel's X299 chipset costs $50 alone while AMD is using the cheappo x370 one since their CPU has all the I/O the mobo needs.

you forget that mobos are all made by various flavors of chinks, aka yellow jews.

if Threadripper >>>> i9 but priced better, mobo makers can charge higher by a degree less than the CPU price to extract more of the profit for themselves.

VMware HCL EPYC when?

Zen was designed by Mike Clark you fucking retard. Keller was managing K12 and Zen team.

>ryzen, much cheaper, hot

So Intel HC CPU are simply 2 low core cramped connected, only unlike Ryzen it scales like shit?
EBYN :DDD

Zen with more than 8 cores are on seperate dies, which still scales way better than ringbus crap.