/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Plantronics-06439-20-clothing-clip/dp/B0006H5IC2/
amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK/
innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZ7DIYModifiedBillP.pdf
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Studio-Beyerdynamic-Headphones/dp/B00OAR8VUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496556525&sr=8-2&keywords=beyerdynamic custom studio
amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Broadcasting-Microphone-Adjustable/dp/B00XOXRTX6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496556657&sr=8-3&keywords=condenser mic
modhouseaudio.com/shp9500_adapter_rings/philips-shp9500-mod-3d-printed-pad-adapters
thingiverse.com/thing:1080440/
innerfidelity.com/images/SonomaModelOne.pdf
trust.com/en/product/21665-primo-chat-headset-for-pc-and-laptop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

8=============D ~~~

This has been a successful microphonics solution for me for years: amazon.com/Plantronics-06439-20-clothing-clip/dp/B0006H5IC2/
Read the "Works great if you combine it with a rubber band" review as the advice there helps.

Fair enough, that works. They seem damn fine for this.

All seems like fair advice. Looking at all your suggestions, and the fact I need a mic, too, the HD598se seems like the most likely of those.

Now, also listed with it is the HD598 SR. The only difference, as statistically written, seems that it's cheaper and slightly heavier. Seems to have the same output and all. Is that just the way they listed it? What makes those the Special Edition?

I mean he had already suggested them before.

Anyways, at this point, I'm looking, in about this order of preference

>DT 770 Pro 80
>L2BO/27 Fidelio (Specifically because the L2 seemed like a duplicate listing of the same thing)
>Custom One Pro Plus
>HD 598 SR (SE? Equivalent?)

Am I on the right track? Any comments on all those?

Also, three questions;

1. How's beyerdynamic in general, and how's Sennheiser? I've never heard of bd but I've heard of Sennheiser tons, was surprised I got more suggested from the former than the latter. Seems good.

2. Hows the Neewer NW-800/Floureon BM-800? Both were suggested to me before specifically, though I was generally told get a condenser mic (Whatever condenser specifically means). They seem about the same and the right price, just wondering.

3. Are all headphone manufacturers esoteric as fuck with the way they catalog and brand their headphones and their offshoots? Looking for headphones, especially among suggestions from here, there seem to be so many double listings, special editions, and one-letter designation changes that have what seem to be zero differences in performance or anything, and I really can't tell if it's just poorly listed differences or just confusing bullshit.

>Anime
Hi.
Go to hell.

And to repost it in the new thread:

So my headphones busted recently after a couple years. I've always been
a headset user who plays a lot of games, but I also really enjoy good film and music being at high quality. At the general suggestion of fucking everyone I'm going to move over to a headphone-desk mic set, so I'll need both but the headphones take precedence. I want something really good but still practical for them, higher end of entry level (Price allowed). Maybe gonna record stuff with the desk mic for podcasts or creative things

>Budget
~$150. Flexible. I'll need to buy a mic with it, total budget is $200. the $200 is pretty firm.

>Location
USA. Florida.

>Source
PC

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Either or. I like the idea and am used to semi-open, but I'm more concerned with quality within budget, with slight preference it not be open.

>Comfort level
High as possible. Not to be overly stressed on it, I just want it to be more comfortable than not over long periods of use. I don't need head pillows, but we all prefer comfort.

>Sound signature
From listed, Bassy or V-Shaped. New to having good headphones, but I know I generally turn up bass. I had a "soundcard" on my last pair, and I always maxed the bass and put the treble very slightly higher than normal. I know this shouldn't matter with a good pair, but it's my best guess.

>Past headphones
I've been a huge pleb. I've used Turtle Beaches since like high school; they were cheap and what I found to be good at the time. I got good use from them.

I liked one that had an aforementioned "sound card" that came with it that controlled the bass, treble, chat volume, sound volume etc. that all worked as a PC thing. I liked the excessively long like 15ft long cords. They aren't a nuisance for me and actually help for my setup. I really did enjoy having chat (Discord, Skype, etc.) on one channel and the system noise on another, but I understand if that isn't on higher end stuff.

Consider something with a detachable cable plus this amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK/

First user that threw the suggestions, I only reccommended the Custom Studio/Custom One Pro because they have a lot of features like detachable cable and bass port slider. DT770 80 ohm and Custom Studio use the same drivers.

Fidelio X2. if you want to use them as a headset, a boompro works in them. it'll be over $200 for both but the X2 really is worth it if you like bassy. if you can't afford it get a dt770 and a desk mic I guess.

Anybody familiar with the Sony mdr-z7? I've heard some pretty mixed reviews but I'm able to get them for 450 loonies (employee) and I'm on the fence about it right now.

So you're saying the Custom One Pro is cheaper, has more features, and should have about the same sound quality?

Well, shit, I'll take it, but that's odd.

Thanks for the suggestion. Honestly, it looks a little cheap to me, and seems to be around the same price as like a desk condenser mic. I do want to, at some point, have a mic not just for gaming, so I think I want to go in the desk direction, but if I decide against it this seems popular and alright.

>Now, also listed with it is the HD598 SR. The only difference, as statistically written, seems that it's cheaper and slightly heavier. Seems to have the same output and all. Is that just the way they listed it? What makes those the Special Edition?
There's 4 versions:
- HD598 -> the super reputable one
- HD598cs -> Closed, totally different, not anywhere as good, abuses the reputation of the open version.
- HD598se -> the super reputable one special edition: Black color + extra cable bundled.
- HD598sr -> se + builtin mic.
>beyer vs sennheiser
beyer has 3 remarkable models. DT770 and DT990 are v-shaped (closed and open) while DT880 (open) is more neutral. All the beyers have a mountain in the treble area of the FR. Love it or hate it, but it deviates massively from neutral because of that in any event.
Sennheiser is a well established brand that has a shitload of headphones, some of them are really damn good. What most sennheisers have in common is that they tend to be very comfortable.

STANDIN' ON THE PORCH OF THE LIDO HOTEL
>Wide Soundstage Reproduction up to 100 kHz
Awesome. I was totally in the market for headphones for my bottlenose dolphin.

Very cute OP pic :)

worth it if you're willing to do some mods that looked relatively simple last I looked into in, basically packing the cups.
innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZ7DIYModifiedBillP.pdf

that dip at 1.5k still looks weird but you could eq it out pretty effectively I think. though it begs the question, why not just get a th-00x?

The Pro is inferior to the DT770. The Custom Studio however is basically the same as the DT770 80 Ohm.

The thing to consider about desk mics is microphonics from typing vibrations.

Your voice will also generally sound more distant and not as clear with a desk mic compared to one right in front of your mouth unless you get a really nice unidirectional desk mic and use it in a quiet room.
Also, V-Moda products are usually quite sturdily built IIRC.

Th00x is a lot more expensive after currency conversion and shipping. Besides that im planning on using it for mobile with a portable amp and the fostex isn't suited to that quite as well, not that the sonys are much better

Thanks for the rundown. I'll take a better look at the HD598sr then. It's listed as Open Back; does that just mean the "open" in the sound context, and it's over ear? Just checking. And with the beyers, how's the Custom Studio compared to the 770, which is getting heavily suggested?

Oh, okay. So the Custom One Pro is whatever, but the Custom Studio is about the same while maintaining some of those features?

amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Studio-Beyerdynamic-Headphones/dp/B00OAR8VUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496556525&sr=8-2&keywords=beyerdynamic custom studio

Still a little cheaper, plus it seems like a "market appeal" model compared to the more professional 770. That about right?

Very fair point. If it was an issue, I was considering getting a swing arm, shock mount, and using a foam cover for it, experimenting with all of that. Does that sound better?

amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Broadcasting-Microphone-Adjustable/dp/B00XOXRTX6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496556657&sr=8-3&keywords=condenser mic

More like this than some $10 desk mic, I meant. Something for recording that I just use for games because why not.

I believe in using specialized tools for specialized purposes. I'd use a mic right in front of your mouth for gaming and something else for recording, not one mic for both purposes. You don't need to build an F-35 for this.

>it seems like a "market appeal" model compared to the more professional 770.
That's the jist of it. It has the same black DT770 velours, replacable headband like the 770, adjustable bass port from no bass to Uber NiggaBass and a detachable cable so you can use whatever 3.5mm male to male even a mic like the Vmoda BoomPro.

Alright, I'll take a good look at the Custom Studio, then. Thanks.

>You don't need to build an F-35 for this.
Since I mainly go on /k/ that was a good chuckle, thanks.

What's the best bang for your buck amplifier that can drive a DT 880 600 ohms? $100-$150 is my budget.

Magni2

>I've never heard of bd
Beyerdynamic literally invented the headphone pham.

How does O2 compare to it?

But to be clear, the Custom One Pro is lesser? Is it just a known thing, or is there a numerical reason why? Just curious, because the Custom Studio is at the top of the list now, but the Custom One is a bit cheaper/comes with a mic and a straight cord, and I'm really just curious the difference in these things.

>does that just mean the "open" in the sound context, and it's over ear?
Transducer is always open towards your ears. Open means that the *other* side of the transducer has some sort of grid, instead of being closed.

The Pro has a shittier driver that's also featured in the DT770i and DT770M for pretty low power output mobile devices. They don't have any correlation with the DT770 besides the name and enclosure just like what Sennheiser did with the 598C's.

O2 has everything in the front. Line in, line out, even the VAC power cable is in the front and that makes zero fucking sense for cable management. Just get the magni 2.

Yeah, I checked their website and it seems that the Pro has a 16 Ohm thing while the Studio has the full 80 like the 770.

I'm thinking I'll go with the Custom Studio, no matter the mic solution. Thanks for all the help for a new guy.

Hardware vs software EQ, anyone?

Depends on your priorities, I guess. An o2+odac with power at the back and rca outs cost almost exactly the same as the schiit 2 uber stack. The rca outs can also become preamp outs like the magni 2 uber as long as you ask for 'switched outputs' when during checkout. You can get jdslabs to engrave your o2+odac. In my personal opinion the schiit stack looks better. If you want to buy short rca cables to connect the schiit stack you'll have to pay another $20, but if you don't mind using longer cables you don't. A lot of people say one sounds 'thinner' or 'tinnier', or has less noise than the other, but it is largely inconsistent and most probably confirmation bias. Iirc the magni can put out more power, but it's highly doubtful you'd need that much power in the first place.
Honestly I only went for the o2+odac because it's got cheaper shipping to Australia ($22 vs $59). Also I couldn't bear to think about stacking a Magni 2 uber with a normal modi 2 because apparently the uber versions are coloured slightly differently. Also my desk and desktop happened to be black so I didn't mind.

Anyone have experience soldering headphones? The left channel in mine went out. Never soldered anything and this seems like a good excuse to learn.

Is a cheap walmart soldering iron okay, or should I spend more money?

Software. Hardware EQ requires special equipment and is generally inferior. Software EQ loses some data but it doesn't matter as even cheapo tier dacs have more bit depth than you'll ever need.

Im looking at dt770 80ohms. The website however lists that it cannot be used on mobile devices. In this thread however it seems it does?

Im doubting between the ath-m50x and the dt770. Headphone will be used on the go too

If you're going to get something only for your phone, either get a m40x or the dt770 80ohm

And if i were to use it on my ps4/laptop too?

>Anime
Hi.
Go to hell.

Hi! Where do you think you are right now?
Also

If you still want the the DTs then get a 250ohms ver, but you will need an amp for your phone.

Would I need an amp for 80Ohm headphones, coming right from the front panel connector on my PC?

I'm pretty sure spamming like that is grounds for a ban. Just so you know.

anime board.

>Budget
$222
>Location
burgerland
>Source
PC, smartphone
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Quality matters more, either is fine
>Comfort level
as long as it's not painful
>Sound signature
Anything good for clarity, but nothing flat. Want music to sound alive, not sterilized.
>Past headphones
ATH-M50's. They broke after using them for 3 years straight, now it sounds like they're plugged halfway in. Don't think I can fix.

I tried the M50x but either my ears changed or they sounded WAY too flat, even a little far away. Been using iPhone earbuds, not too bad but I miss headphones. I'd like something I can walk around with.

I've had these so long that the headband started flaking everywhere and I eventually had to cut it off and replace it with a makeshift paper towel headband. The sliders don't stay in place, the comfort went to shit and they always want to slide off my head. And they smell like my head after weeks of not showering, despite autistic alcohol wipe cleaning. But they still sound great. What do I do?

SNAPHEISER KEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH

checkmate sennfags

M50x is pretty far from neutral, difference with the m50 is pretty marginal.
With your budget, I'd go for Beyerdynamic Custom Studio or DT770 80 ohm for home use.
That would leave you some cash leftover for some Creative Aurvana Live or an iem like Carbo Tenore for portable use.

>you will never sing karaoke with a big titty animu grill
why even live?

At least we can watch Love Live together and live vicariously.

Software. Aside from the possible appeal of having a physical device it's superior in every way.

There's none. Simple really.

Opinion on headphones with microphone, is it discouraged? Preferred to buy it separately? Why?

Gaming headsets are usually overpriced and offer worse preformance over any headphone that's similarly priced or even cheaper. It's a way to milk stupid gaymers and kids off their parents money.
Seperate mic and headphones also adds flexibility, you can always swap components if you don't like your setup anymore or if something's broken.
Portable headphones with detachable cables with inline mics are fine though.

Because you can easily just buy any headphone on the market instead, which is going to have better sound quality and price-to-performance ratio, and then just stick a BoomPro or ModMic on it for example. And chances are the mic is going to be of better quality as well.

I pulld out the cord connected to the speaker and I need to solder the wires back on. I took off the cover and I see 2 pins which I'm guessing is for the left and right wires, but what does the earth (black) wire get soldered to?

hmm

It's convenient for some, Sennheiser GAME ONE is pretty good. So is HyperX Cloud.

I use the shirt clip that came with my Etymotic HF5. Works well on many IEMs.

>770's

L M A O
M
A
O

This, I stretched mine more than that over a shit ton of books and they didn't snap. It's not even possible unless you do it on purpose.

Because, in general, a $250 gamer headset is just a $40 headphone with a mic and marketing. It's that bad.
That's why instead we suggest you buy good headphones / cost and some sort of solution for the mic (either standalone @ desk, mocmid).
I personally use standalone mic because they sound SO MUCH BETTER than the headset crap. Deeper, confident, calming, charismatic voice vs thin chicken shriek. See what r/letsplay are using, they have several threads about that.

/hpg/ is pretty dead today desu

50 bucks
August EP650 wireless

Sound is very good.
But don't use the build in headset.
Uses NFC pairing and apt-x technology.
Bass is nice too

Let's just name random decent headphones then.
HD600.

This kills the hpg

Is there any way to change the SHP9500 pads without ruining them ? It's almost unusable for me as I have a big ass head and the clamp is low by default, will be replacing with angled velour hm5s.

Yeah, isn't there a clip so you can just snap them off easily?

>Budget
$200-$400
>Location
US
>Source
PC through amp/DAC
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Not super concerned with comfort, but hopefully more comfortable than what I'm using now
>Sound signature
Looking for a mostly neutral headphone
>Past headphones
Been using the HE-400 for a while, and I like almost everything about them but I know the build quality isn't great

I was looking at the AKG K702 and Q701, but I'm wary about buying shit with a lot of plastic unless I try them first. Anyone know how durable these are?

Reposting from ded thred.

I currently own mdr-v6.
I love the sound on these.

Is there any open headphones with similar sound signature and possibly price?

Just wanted to thanks the user that recommended the status audio cb-1, just got them. They sound real good and are super comfortable!
Cheers mates!

No. The characteristics of the MDR-V6 can't be found in open headphones.

>Budget
200 euroshekels, flexible.
>Location
Krautland.
>Source
RN3P (upgrade planned) and chinkpad.
>Type of headphone
Full-size highly preferred. On-ear is fine if extremely comfortable. IEM is fine if comfortable and sturdy build.
>Open or closed
Closed, this is for public space.
>Comfort level
Good. There's no point in wearing uncomfortable headphones, doesn't need to be the best though.
>Sound signature
Don't care that much. V-shaped is preferred, but as long there's no niggerbass it's probably fine.
>Past headphones
DT770, my first true love. Some chink IEMs like Zircons, KZ's, Boarsemen, etc., Zircons were great, CX98 good, too.
Already tried MDR-1A at a store, good sound, but Jesus the niggerbass.... might as well buy Beats by Dr. Dindu.
What about Momentum 2.0, M40X, MSR7, any of those any good? Maybe something completely different?

HD600 or DT880.

Avoid K702/Q701, it's a legitimately bad headphone.

*snap*

HD600s don't snap though:

I don't think you can remove it off of the pads without ruining them, you can probably have it 3d printed but I don't know the dimensions and shit.

AKG K712 pros are godlike.

I'd go for m40xs, fits signature and looks pretty good, I use mine in public. Only problem is comfort, but since your budget is $200, you can just get really good replacement pads.

>$400
>Looking for a mostly neutral headphone
HD600 is the one to get. There's nothing more neutral, unless you're willing to increase your budget an order of magnitude, or go with etymotic IEMs.
The HD600 are also extremely reputable. Go research it so you can buy with confidence.

Msr7 would be a pretty big contrast to the 770's, more neutral/bright than v shaped.
Custom Studios have the same drivers as the 770 and are more portable if your phone could drive them.
CB-1 or HM5 are decent for portable, or the M40 with new pads as mentioned earlier. All are slightly v shaped, not as tight of bass as 770's

modhouseaudio.com/shp9500_adapter_rings/philips-shp9500-mod-3d-printed-pad-adapters
thingiverse.com/thing:1080440/

>Budget
E100-180
>Location
Ger
>Source
PC, no amp/dac, ps4, phone (S8)
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
should be able to use them on the BICYCLE without distortion
>Comfort level
few hours a time max
>Sound signature
mostly listen to rock, with the occasional hiphop/electronic here and there
>Past headphones
some E50 bluetooth Sony's and AKG earbuds

>Budget
up to ~£200
>Location
UK
>Source
Laptop, ipod classic
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed. Minimal noise leak
>Comfort level
High
>Sound signature
Neutral. my listening is quite variable so I want them to be abe to represent most pitches accurately
>Past headphones
sony mdr-1a
these were ok, comfy, but became quite creaky and then essentially fell apart.
I've triend some of my friend's bose quietcomforts - great sound & noise cancelling but they're a bit too expensive

>unless you're willing to increase your budget an order
Such as?
MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 or DT250

Sonoma Acoustics Model One

>Sonoma Acoustics Model One
innerfidelity.com/images/SonomaModelOne.pdf

No.

Fair enough... it's not much flatter than HD600, and that THD is way too high. I missed that when I looked earlier.
Certainly not worth the hefty label.

Literally never heard of this. Another boutique brand?

Nevermind, see

>Budget
£350
>Source
Magni+Modi V1's
>Type
Open;over-ear, comfort's important

I usually prefer novel sounds. I own k702's and DT 770's currently.

HD650

over-ear = around ear?

Your budget screams HD600.

Yes.

You keep em. That's what you do.

It's time for the hd600 my lad.

>Budget
Headphone: around 60€, 80€ hard limit.
Microphone: 5€ hard limit
>Location
Belgium
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full Sized, over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Should be comfortable wearing it for long times.
>Sound signature
Neutral signature
>Past headphones
trust.com/en/product/21665-primo-chat-headset-for-pc-and-laptop