/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PZjHYM7zDiE
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JPVgcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/FVcjkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/g7XWTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/gKRHtJ
geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-10-cm-500w-atx-2-4-bn277-a1564594.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873&cm_re=am3+-_-13-131-873-_-Product
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wdxPWX
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/s2bxKZ
caseking.de/asrock-ab350m-pro4-amd-b350-mainboard-sockel-am4-mbar-238.html
caseking.de/amd-ryzen-5-1600-3-2-ghz-summit-ridge-sockel-am4-boxed-hpam-123.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I load uefi defaults after performing BIOS update?

Sis wants me to build her a PC for Revit 2017. Cheapest possible build?

yes, save your current set to a profile and reset bios before updating.
xeon 1230+(v2) on a h61 with at least 8gb ram and a ssd. not getting a decent 8 thread cheaper.

do it before.

I'm stuck choosing a B350 board.
- AsRock Pro4
- Gigabyte Gaming 3
- MSI Tomahawk
- Asus Prime PLUS

Which one should I pick?
- I don't care about aesthics at all, I don't need RGB or any special RGB shit,
- I need good VRM, I'd like to OC Ryzen 1600 to at least 3.8GHz,
- Good memory support, I don't want to be stuck with 2133 RAM

I heard MSI has long boot issues, Pro4 has no 3.1 ports but that's not a problem, Gigabyte seems like a good pick but it's Gigabyte so I dunno.

Anyone has one of these and wants to share his experience?

R5 1600, or 1600X if you liek your sister ;^)
8gb of RAM.
1tb HDD. Or a hybrid HDD to make things more responsive. It's a small SSD in a HDD that saves common files to it.
A 128GB SSD if you want to save the OS and programs to that. It's the biggest performance gain you can to to ant PC.
And any GPU you want to throw on it.
GTX 1030 is pretty much cheaper than any plain display cards I've seen. That or a secondhand card.

>Xeon
Why?

Ryzen 3 when?

Prime is shit
Gigabyte Gaming has the best onboard audio

I think only a few of those have VRM heatsinks.

Q3

Q3 when?

Is Ryzen 5 garbage compared to i5 CPU?

it's time to stop posting

Ryzen gets lower average fps in cpu dependant games, but higher compute performance in multithreaded tasks.

Even though certain i5 and i7 cpus dont have vpro (eg the 7700k) do they still have the management engine? is it literally every cpu? even the pentiums and atoms?

Well, I wrote that post after I updated BIOS. However I haven't changed anything in it since I installed it yesterday so I guess it should be fine. I just loaded uefi defaults just to be sure and everything works so I guess I'm fine.

The 3570k will bottleneck the 980Ti in many games from the past few years.
Might be okay for 1440p, especially if you overclock the CPU. But at 1080p it's going to bottleneck and CPU bottleneck sucks ass.

>PClab.pl
okay mister IMAGE_XX

Why is Asus shit? I just read a review and apparently it has the best UEFI, nice oc capabilites and it's cheap.

>Ryzen gets lower average fps in cpu dependant games
It's the other way around. Whenever the game isn't CPU heavy, the faster cores (because not split between two CCX) of the i5 will make it pull ahead, but the moment the game is too heavy on the CPU the additional 4 threads of the R5 1500x allow it not to get FPS dips when the i5 does
youtube.com/watch?v=PZjHYM7zDiE

Not if it's overclocked to 4.5ghz

gaming and oc

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JPVgcc

>especially if you overclock
yes I said that.

Absolutely not. Only recently have games become more reliant on CPU performance. Plus there is an ez way to check if CPU bottleneck is present.

yeah i'm totally shilling, it's not like every review has the same results that r5 outperforms locked i5 but loses few % on average to overclocked 7600k/7700k.

Something like this
pcpartpicker.com/list/FVcjkT

What drivers should I install? So far I've installed only those in red rectangle. Do I need to install anything else? What exactly is VGA driver and SATA floppy image? I'm not interested in those apps, just drivers.

pcpartpicker.com/list/g7XWTH

forgot pic

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JPVgcc
shit monitor, it was good maybe 3 years ago. literally any 1080p 144hz is better

>Xeon
>Why?
you can fin them for $100 or less and they are essentially a locked sandy/ivy i7 with more cache and unless it's a 1270, slightly lower clocks. Revit is autodesk architecture modeling .he asked for cheapest possible setup to do that, an 1155 xeon is what I rec'd

yeah you don't need the rest.

Fair enough. But you're probably going to have to spoon feed where to get them and what board ect.
As I did I'll even have a hunt. I need to learn Xeons. It's too easy just spurting out 1600's. They do everything too well.

Why aren't 1070s considered valid options for 1440p?

They are though
no idea why it got removed in the OP

Cards are still weaker than you'd think. 1070 does 1440 60fps/1080p 144hz fine for the moment.
But don't expect that to last with graphical improvements in future.
Imagine what GTA6 would do to it.
You either want a 1080/Ti Or wait or Vega/Volta.

I have no idea either. Unless to add that bit about the 570's being sold out.

Because it's 50% more money for 20-26% better performance on average.
If you're already considering $350 for a 1070, you should spend the $400-$460 on a GTX 180 instead as the price/performance is much better.

>Unless to add that bit about the 570's being sold out.
There was enough room left for quite a lot of text, he probably just removed it because he considered it worthless

So I have a MicroATX case I'm looking to build a 500-800€ mid-range gaming PC with.

Is there anything I need to look out for in MicroATX mainboards, and what parts would you recommend for a MicroATX build, in that budget?

I would prefer to go with an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU.

>i would prefer X brand
i'm fairly sure even /r/intel and /r/nvidia would call you out on this

I'm current OP, coped from the last thread. If I am around I'll add it back.
Because it still has its place. But what should the line read?
I agree with

Gave my GF my old FX-8150 desktop to play some games on and it's been progressively crapping out more often since November. After months of troubleshooting I swapped everything out except the cpu/mobo and reinstalled windows and still happening. Finally decided to scrounge up some money and just buy her new shit.

Only new parts bought in this build are the mobo, cpu, ram, and case since she kept complaining about how big and ugly my old giant full atx case was.

Wanted to get a g4560, but those are out of stock or stupidly being price gouged on, so I settled on the G4600 from Jet. Manually adjusted price for after my coupon. Shitty cheap mobo from Newegg that that was $25 after rebate. Bios might not be compatible, but I'll borrow a skylake cpu from a computer at work to do the bios update if need be. And shitty 2133 stick of ram since that's all the mobo supports anyway, that comes with a $5 giftcard.

All the other parts are from the old computer with prices adjusted to approx what I paid at the time. New parts cost approx $196 if I don't get lazy about the rebates. Hopefully now she'll shutup and play her shitty Dragon Age Inquisition without complaining about it crashing in a battle or commenting on how ugly my old case was.

Any recs on getting a Win10 key?

Forgot pic somehow

Kinguin for Win10 keys.

What would be a good alternative to 1500/1600/1600x?

If there are better options from other brands available for budgetary reasons, I would gladly accept the suggestions. It's just that I have experience with AMD systems, and I prefer the utility of NVIDIA's control panel and Intel's single-core performance.

Alternative for a 1500 would be any i5, really
No alternatives to the 1600 in the same price range though.

>Intel's single-core performance.
i highly doubt you do

Thanks, i'm considering having at least another choice should any of them are unavailable or takes an unreasonable amount of time to ship.

Looking for some last minute input here

pcpartpicker.com/list/gKRHtJ

Ryzen cpu is currently rather cheap here which is why I'm thinking about getting the other parts too at once. Are there any last minute changes you guys would recommend?

>budget 700 euros
>gaming of internet titles
>dual booting windows / linux
>programming

Are there any upcoming sales I should be aware of?

400w is pretty low, it will fit the GTX 1050ti but put a new GPU in there and you'll be forced to get a new PSU
Aim for 500w at least
the rest is good

I got handed down a computer my sister used to have, it's pretty OK besides that she used to pirate with it a lot and it's full of virusses.
(I will just format HDDs in the Windows install tho. that should fix it, right?)

Anyway, the reason she got herself an all new PC is because somehow, she managed to kill the Motherboard.

I did a little research on internet to find which motherboard would be best to use with the other parts and I'm still not quite sure.

What would you guys recommend?
CPU: FX8320 (non-OC)
RAM: 8GB (1600mhz, 2x4 GHz)
HDD: (2x 1TB drives, might replace with SSD though when I can't get the virusses off)
GPU: GTX660 (non-OC)

Hope that I can get some answers, would be much appreciated.

thought about this one

geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-10-cm-500w-atx-2-4-bn277-a1564594.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

500w with semi modular design

It should probably say it's worth getting a cheap one on sale. Like ~$300.
Any more than that and it just makes more sense to spend a little extra for a GTX 1080 when you're already spending that much.
And it's not really worth getting Gsync for. But it can keep above 75fps on a 1440p 75hz non-sync monitor.

That's the problem with the 1070. There's so many qualifiers. So many ifs and maybes.
You can get a GTX 1060 6GB for $215-$230 pretty much all the time and the 1070 on average isn't a whole lot better yet usually costs over 50% more.

The 1080, on the other hand, is a much bigger performance bump over the 1070 than the 1070 is over the 1060. Its price/performance is better. So I have a very hard time recommending the 1070.
Ultimately, I think people severely underrate how good the performance of the 1060 6GB and RX580 are. And severely overvalue playing on max settings when they often look no different than "very high" yet run much worse in many games.

>(I will just format HDDs in the Windows install tho. that should fix it, right?)
Yes.
>HDD: (2x 1TB drives, might replace with SSD though when I can't get the virusses off)
Won't need to replace them. But grab a SSD is you like. It'll fell like a whole new computer if you load the OS and games onto it.
>motherboard would be best to use with the other parts and I'm still not quite sure.
I'm using a MSI 970 ATX mobo for my FX8350
Was cheapest preforming/good looking mobo. One issue it that it leaks a oily residue from the VRM heatsink. But it's no real problem. You'd have less leaking as it's a lower powered chip.
The leaking is from the thermal pads they've used. More heat, more leak. (no issue with them drying up)

Really you can go for any 990 AM3+ chipset. 970 iirc seems to be a bit hit and miss with the power phases. Being more so for the FX 6XXX chips, than 8XXX.

firstly pirating doesn't mean your pc is going to get viruses. your sister is just a stupid cunt.
you could just use some advanced bootable virus removal tools, but seeing how you're technologically illiterate, formatting them will do the trick.
you will need an AM3+ motherboard. if you don't want to oc (protip: you should) then just pick cheapest used am3+ mobo with features you need. don't buy new.

if you haven't bought parts you should go for dual channel (2x4gb) memory. it's also worth going with at least 3000mhz since ryzen benefits heavily from it.

Give me the rundown on Threadripper. I've barely paid attention to the Zen launch. Is it on the same socket as R3/R5/R7? Does it just have more cores or are there other differences?

Thanks a lot for your detailed and helpful reply.

I heard a lot of positive things about SSDs, I'm a little short on cash this month but I might be able to buy one then next month.

Very well, I will take a look around at my local computer store then and look for the MSI 970 ATX, if I can't find that I will check out the 990 AM3+ boards.

Thanks!

I will pick up the cheapest AM3+ motherboad then, thanks for the answer.

I checked out their website real quick, they have ASRock, Asus and Gigabyte.
Any you'd recommend?

>Is it on the same socket as R3/R5/R7?
Nope. See pic
It's basically two R7 1800X chips. But they're spaced apart on the PCB. I suspect they'll clock highly because of that.
If they were touching silicon it would have terrible thermals.
Yes 16 cores.

Literally anything you like/afford. It's a very mature socket.
Only thing that will fuck you up is if it's only got one sata port. For your HDD's.

God that is one motherfucker of a CPU. All the heatsink companies will need to make new revisions of their heatsinks with wider contact surfaces.

Thanks a lot, the ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 is the cheapest available.
I will check out how many sata ports it has though, thanks.

Noctua has a prototype done already. But will probably cost more than the chip.
I'm looking forward to the watercoolers for it. I have need for a large one for other applications. Being peltier plate cooling for an overclocking rig I'm dreaming up.

Oops; Forgot to mention. You need a board that has a VRM heatsink. You'll throttle on that board.**
That's what the problem with the 970 chipset.
VRM's are the bit between socket and the rear usb ports.

You want something like
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873&cm_re=am3+-_-13-131-873-_-Product

Ok, I've come up with this build for myself: de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wdxPWX

Is this good, am I doing something wrong?

change the 6600K for an AMD Ryzen 5 1600, and the motherboard for an AMD B350 chipset motherboard. I personally recommend the Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3. I believe there's a mATX version that'll fit the case. Otherwise, grab an Asrock AB350M Pro 4.

Considering this looks like a gaming rig.
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/s2bxKZ
You can save money if you decide to drop back down to a 120gb SSD of the same brand/type Kingston uv400

see
Also I selected a 450W so that you'll be able to upgrade later to a 1600 chip, without buying a bigger PSU.

Thanks. I like the AB350M better, is this ok then:

caseking.de/asrock-ab350m-pro4-amd-b350-mainboard-sockel-am4-mbar-238.html

caseking.de/amd-ryzen-5-1600-3-2-ghz-summit-ridge-sockel-am4-boxed-hpam-123.html

Thank you too. I would want to switch to an AMD GPU when I go with Ryzen, is the RX 570 the go-to mid range card?

We'd prefer to go with 8gb 580's. But there's demand issues causing price hikes of +$100. If you can find a 580 8gb for its correct retail grab it.
But yes, the 570 and 580 are the go to cards.

One more time before I pull the trigger. Any criticisms before I upgrade?

Up to $200 what's the most powerful air cooled single slot video card? I see the RX 460 haven't been bought out quite yet and I was hoping I could find a 1050 Ti as well to compare, but there seems to be no US supplier, just overseas Inno3d and Elisa

How much does it really matter what HDD brand you get? I'm looking at getting a 4x2TB RAID 0 setup, and Seagate seems like the most popular brand.

Seagate is cheap right now. That's why we're using them. Nothing wrong with them explicitly.
You may want to look into using a different raid type seeing as you're using more than two drives.

Do you guys think that ryzen 3 will be highish clock speeds ( 3.3ghz

Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 or Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ? Paired with a Ryzen 5 1600

Do you overclock? If not, which you shouldn't with the stock cooler no matter how cool the LEDs are, go for a B350 board.

Have you done the calculations, you might only need a 650 supernova.

The M is a mATX board.

How much does memory speed really effect gaming? Am i gonna get dramatic differences with for example 2133Mhz versus 2400Mhz?

With Ryzen.

Around 3-5FPS. Might not sound like much, but as future things come and chip away at your total, it helps to keep your system relevant for longer.

Not just gaming but Ryzen chips in general do a lot better with faster RAM.

Does anybody have a mainboard with a bios that uses AGESA v1.0.0.6? How good is it?

>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC

Is there any benefit to the 1600 over the 7600k besides price?
I'm a pleb working on my first build and my brother said to avoid AMD but he's fed me misinformation before.

Pc will be exclusively for gaming

Trying to make a Ryzen R7 1700 build for productivity and gaming, and I'm conflicted between these three motherboards right now:
ASRock AB350 Pro4
MSI X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming
Which one should be the best?

if i buy a 2400Mhz kit, can i overclock it easily to, let's say 3200Mhz?

You can always download Mhz

Doubtful

Is 53 C idle for a GPU good?

>tfw have full HD 144hz freesync monitor
>building a midrange ryzen radeon system
>no more rx 570 and 580 in sight like ever were I live
>stuck with rx 560 till new mid-range series radeons will emerge
>nvidias are everywhere, buy our HTC 1050 ti, goyim
Whelp

No... Did you forget thermal paste? Or even worse put a sticker on the cpu?

GPU, not CPU...
Everything else is in the 30s

Oh, even then it's not right. Check if the fans are spinning.
Also what card?

Just bit the AMD bullet, feels goodman.

Hope i can OC the CPU with the stock cooler at least moderately.

ah yeah, they weren't spinning.
Just dled evga precision and turned on auto for the fans & it dropped

no you can't

it's more than that but it depends really. in some games you can get 15+ fps while other don't seem to benefit from faster memory at all.

in the end if your mobo supports faster ram then go for it.

25-50% chance.
2933mhz is a very very high chance.

>it's more than that
That was guesstimate from 2133-2400Mhz
Or am I really that far out?

The AB350M is perfectly find, as is the 570. If you can't find a 570 or 580, try a 470 or 480. They're the previous year's models, but virtually identical. The 500 series is just a refresh. Don't worry about them being outdated, because the 500 series is going to be obsolete soon when AMD releases the Vega GPU's