The Future of Human Computer Interaction

Just finished SOMA and it made me realise that you will never be able to move your conscience into a computer. It will always be a copy and you will always be stuck in your body

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JpZb9dzRfWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Great. But the rest of us have already realised that we're all copies of our past selves anyway.

what do you mean by past self? immediate past self or past life?

Transfer gradually and adapt. Consciousness is a pattern, and patterns can be moved as long as they aren't broken.

Also, SOMA is a glitchy ass mess.

hmmm well I guess it still goes back to the question, "is it still you" though even if you did a live transfer.

wasn't glitchy for me but maybe thats because its been patched

you'll never be able to move your consciousness to a computer because such brain scanning technology is impossible
besides, pure materialism is false

>Implying the only possible outcome of something in the future is described in detail as a plot device to a story.
ok kid.

>cut
>paste
Here retard

well it's more of a philosophical question than anything. not a fixed thing idea

>implying quantum computing won't give us the means

pic related

?

Children are just a Rough copy of your Genetics, and a sloppy copy of your ideas.

An AI copy of you with all of your thoughts, desires, knowledge, and the ability to learn and comprehend millions of times faster.

what is important to you?

well are ideas held by parents necessarily inherited by their children?

but in the instant the AI is created it becomes a different person. As soon as it realises that it's not human (at least by definition), it's ideals change

also.

if you are not familiar with how transporters work in StarTrek, it Scans the persons body, Destroys the Original, and prints a new one with the exact same states of matter.

The Original Copy Dies and a New Person is created. If you accept that the Thing you consider You is a Body that shares your brain functions and memory, then knowing there is a copy is nice since it doesnt matter which one of you lives, You will continue to exist.

>well are ideas held by parents necessarily inherited by their children?

are you talking about genetic memory? because there are certain functions our mind does that happen whether we like it or not. Im talking about knowledge you learn in Life. Like how old people say, "i wish i knew this when i was a little shit," well instead of trying to communicate that Verbally to a stupid human that wont understand since they lack the life experience to filter it, Just copy the information.

>but in the instant the AI is created it becomes a different person
thats fine. they are just a You on a different trajectory. like Twins.

well having a copy of your self is great and all but I want to live in a computer forever

>muh immortality

"is that copy really you though?" is the question

duh, the brain is not 'erasable media' in the sense that you can move data from one point to the other.

>well having a copy of your self is great and all but I want to live in a computer forever

the current copy of you can only be flesh and blood. your computer version, if one can be create, can live on forever in a computer.

>"is that copy really you though?"

yes, you just need to expand your definition of You.
youre copy will think its you, for them they would put on a device and suddenly be in a computer. watch the movie Chappi.

I personally value my ideas, methods, and ideals. so any being that has a perfect copy of those is essentially Me. if the ideas i like live on in a copy or in the minds of others, I win.

well I guess you win with me because that post right there has changed the way I think significantly.

It made me think that everyone either has two approaches to life...

1. The pursuit of making a legacy
2. The pursuit of pleasure

...and by having a copy of yourself you can immediately be satisfied that you will continue to live on never to be forgotten (completely)

while the current you is free to dick around until your body dies.

Thank you

What makes you think your consciousness isn't being copied a billion times per second when you're simply moving around? Better question, when will people embrace eliminativism and stop using terms like "consciousness" altogether? We are discussing stuff that literally doesn't exist.

the thing is, the current me does not get to experience the things that the me in the computer gets to; therefore the fact that I am changing constantly does not affect me in the way you describe

>discussing stuff that literally doesn't exist.
Philosophy is the term you're looking for

Dude, there are no such things as "copies".
At least not if we talk about mutable data.

If you had two exactly identical people and each of them would spend a few hours in a different environment, they would already be two different people.

It's the chaotic determinism in our brain that keep some parts of our psyche unpredictable. "Mind" is a function of our genes, our experience and time. And it changes constantly.

see

You're a copy of who you were ten minutes ago. Future you is a copy of who you are now.
There's really no distinction to be made.

transhumanists btfo dead bankrupt and on suicide watch

Hey, consider this:
Imagine scientists invent an artificial neuron, it reacts to the same chemicals in the same way as real neurons, form new synapses, etc. Now imagine they also invent nanomachines that are able to slowly replace real neurons with artificial ones, one by one. You will be conscious the entire time and there's no complete copy exists at any time of the process.

now that's an interesting take on it. In that sense it is possible

Your post makes no sense.

The other dude said basically the same thing I did.

Exactly. Why did you feel the need to say what has already been said?

You are from /sci/, aren't you?

>listen guys we don't fully understand what consciousness is and are not sure yet whether it has a soul-like component remotely linked to your body but we can absolutely guarantee that if you just make a copy of all the information in your brain that we can use our primitive understanding of this subject to create a copy of you that is conscious

Copying nature usually works.

yeah you don't exist. i don't exist and user don't exist.

we are made of memories and feelings are just chemical reactions.

youtube.com/watch?v=JpZb9dzRfWs

i still have to copy myself to carry my agenda, if i were a copy i would carry on.

imogen is hot btw