Why are we still using MP3s and not replacing them with .opus?

Why are we still using MP3s and not replacing them with .opus?

-good quality
-virtually supported on any browser, voip application, phone, audio player
-free and open source
-doesn't take enormous disk space and would be a very good option for keeping alive tons of music torrents with little traffic and disk space

Other urls found in this thread:

hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,82125.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because we have flac and sd cards are cheap

>50mb file for 6 minutes song

really?

Only player that supports it on Android is VLC.
Oddysey also plays it but has no library support for it.

Only 4 times bigger than a high quality mp3. Not a dealbreaker.

>caring about codecs outside of what Apple and Google are willing to support
Oh yeah, let me just load up my portable media player with...wait, it's all closed ecosystem smartphones now. You can do whatever want on your desktop.

>Why are we still using MP3s and not replacing them with .opus?

Because you probably can't

and

also because it's pointless even if you can

If you have the original CD some MP3 was ripped from then you'll want to rip it to FLAC. Storage is cheap. Music, even if it's flac, is not what's filling my phones MicroSD, videos are what consumes most space there.

If you don't have the original CD/media then you don't want to convert lossy MP3 to lossy OPUS and get even worse audio quality.

>Only player that supports it on Android is VLC.
nigger you're stupid

I don't use proprietary software. Who's the real nigger here?

FLAC is pointless unless you are working with audio.

you

The only thing that matters is in what format the music is supplied to you. If I can get DSD without much effort I get DSD, if I can get FLAC I get FLAC, you get the idea. I even have some wavs on my phone.
On Android not using Neutron is basically admitting that you're a retard.

>ear-retarded and poorfag
Not everbody has retarded ears and not enough money to buy proper headphones.

mp3 is now free.

Opus is dead. RIP.

because
>-free and open source
therefore garbage

>Only 4 times bigger
>Not a dealbreaker
Tell that to my roughly 500GB collection of music, which is mostly made of mp3's.

What part of it have you actually listened to? Like, actually listened, not just played in background - picked your favorite tracks, etc? I only forced myself to listen through my 80GB by deleting all music from my phone and getting through the collection by copying one album at a time.

I am actually considering doing this soon
Most of the songs that I use as background distraction I can probably stream through Spotify (although their classical music collection is meh)

>Limiting you music library
Why? I mean I have over 5000 songs on my phone, mostly FLAC, where I maybe listened to half of it at least once, but why?

If you actually paid for music and as a result only bought music you really liked and were going to listen to multiple times instead of just downloading whatever random crap to add to your music """collection""" you wouldn't have this issue.
I only started properly listening to music about half a year ago, and my FLAC collection of 19 CDs is 8.5GB.

>Storing the original file in lossless compression is pointless
Enjoy having the quality of your music collection turn to crap after you've had to transcode it 5 times to keep it in the latest codec.

just use ogg niggers

He're right though. You're not going to notice any difference between a flac and an opus file encoded from the flac with the default encoder settings no matter how much you try.

t. someone with a pricey sound card and some nice 250ohm Beyerdynamic cans

opus > ogg

t. the people who made ogg

You can probably get it down to around 850mb if you convert those flacs into opus

Because AAC won

I already have a shitton of mp3 tracks, and converting lossy to lossy is retarded. And, for the sake of consistency, I transcode lossless to mp3 when sending them to my phone.

Many services don't even know what it is and would demand the user to download every sound file instead of natively playing them. Think as MSEdge current support for WebM, but worse

I'm going to keep flacs around regardless just so I can transcode them into whatever format I want without losing quality each time.
Right now 8.5GB easily fits on cheap SD card so keeping everything as FLAC isn't an issue.

>Tell that to my roughly 500GB
>mostly made of mp3's.

TRASH

>What part of it have you actually listened to?
Do you even music bro?

>paid for music
Ill keep paying artists for shirts at their shows Atlantic Records et al can keep sucking cocks.

>very good option for keeping alive tons of music torrents with little traffic and disk space
Literally what service distributes music via torrent? They're pretty much all direct download/stream from actual good servers.

>You're not going to notice any difference between a flac and an opus file encoded from the flac with the default encoder settings no matter how much you try.

Thanks. I might use opus for mobile listening instead of MP3

But

>>Storing the original file in lossy

Please don't do this. Disk space is cheap.

Hey, a person who payed to use Sup Forums also pays to listen to music. Color me surprised.
>Literally what service distributes music via torrent?
Redacted, Apollo. Both have very good "servers"

>Ill keep paying artists for shirts at their shows Atlantic Records et al can keep sucking cocks.
Sure hope you've got a big enough wardrobe for those 10,000 shirts you're going to need to be buying then

no one can tell the difference from anything higher than 320kbps mp3. prove me wrong, you can't.

I took a test on it once and proved I could. I can also sort colors on screen really well.

That said, 320 kbps mp3 is acceptable to me.

Opus is the best lossy format for storing music on your phone/PMP because it reproduces 20 Hz - 20 kHz. I've been using Opus on my Clip+ for years.

>after you've had to transcode it 5 times to keep it in the latest codec.
nobody is supposed to do this

You're supposed to keep your files in whatever codec you acquire them in. If that codec is lossless, by all means convert it to your lossless codec of choice. If it's lossy, convert it to lossless if you want (e.g. some shitty codec you just can't stand having) but not to any lossy codec again.

My collection is a mix of everything, and I just hunt down the highest quality source. I don't reconvert stuff I already have to some new codec unless the old one becomes unusable, in which case I'll convert to lossless.

wtf are you all doing with your dumb, technically groundless rules like reconverting your files just because a new codec comes around? A better codec becoming available means you should use it as your new default output format from sources, not convert existing outputs to it.

Apple doesn't support free codecs. They're a shit company.

Opus is a meme that doesn't support 44.1hz and it also uses a ton of resources compared to mp3 and such.

mobile devices drain battery way faster playing flac

>mobile devices drain battery faster playing a format that requires less decompression than any other compressed format

>Decompression

What? Do you not understand how file compression works?

the resulting ratio isn't necessarily a function of the power required to decode it

hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,82125.0.html
Flac requries 7mhz of processing power to decode.
All lossy formats start at 17mhz.

Keeping music alive in shitty loss formats isn't preserving anything with bit rot

thanks for the citation, the gap is pretty surprising

>turn to crap after you've had to transcode it 5 times
People actually do this?

dumbass, you are supposed to have a lossless archive that you make copies of to convert to whatever audio codec you want.

You are probably that dumbass who used a youtube-to-mp3 downloader then converted the file to opus and are now complaining about quality

Yea the sound of frequencies being replaced by white noise is amazing quality

Easily. Listen to anything with cymbals or bass. Everything below 200 is weak and above 10k is a tin can. I don't get how people cant hear synthetic white noise. Listen to the police and tell me otherwise

Any audio engineer easily

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make you retard

Opus is an Ogg codec, just like Vorbis and FLAC

Gone Mad Music Player has supported it for years. It's supported natively in Android but just for video. Not sure if that can exploited for native audio support.

2TB HDDs are cheap as all fuck. Why is this an issue?

you konmari your cloths not you music