Printers

Can we have a printer thread?
What kind of printers does Sup Forums have?

I'm looking for a grayscale laser printer/scanner combo that works with linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2520dw_us_eu&os=128
support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2520dw_us_eu&os=128&dlid=dlf006645_000&flang=4&type3=566
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well I have this one.
I just reinstalled the drivers since I switched my router

It works flawlessly.
I laughed when I saw linux drivers were litterally a few kilobytes, and windows required the use of a 200 Mb software suite

HP Laserjet P2035 hanging off a raspi

>Well I have this one.
You mean Brother DCP-L2520DW? Neat. Picked this image randomly.

>You mean Brother DCP-L2520DW
Precisely

Only the "scan" button doesn't work (you have to use simple-scan or any software). I think they have a driver for the button but I didn't bothered since I don't use it.

Oh, and something to keep in mind. It is EXTREMELY annoying to type the wifi password with only three buttons. Better have a short one.

Damn, mine is like 20 characters.
So there's no problem with using this with Linux/CUPS?

Well I'm a basic linux user so I don't really know what cups is, but I remember seeing "cups" in the console.
You can check support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2520dw_us_eu&os=128

> driver is 0.02 Mb
I literally only installed a few debs and it worked

For the scanner, you have to enter a few command lines. Everything is explained here
support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2520dw_us_eu&os=128&dlid=dlf006645_000&flang=4&type3=566

Neat, thanks. Overall, any other issues? Are the toner cartridges cheap?

Brother printers are built like tanks and toner is easy to refill and is not DRM'd to death like HP.

10/10 would use again

No, nothing to complain (I use it since november) - as opposed to the photosmart I had before and that made me get a brother laser printer. It was a real nightmare.
The 2520dw really is sturdy, and the button layout is so simple it's reassuring. Really good vibe.
Toners are expensive, but they print a huge amount of pages. In any case, it's cheaper than ink printers.

Oh, one thing. On the forums, a lot of people are complaining about the printer not waking up from deep sleep mode, but I never had the problem. Maybe an internal update fixed it.

B R O T H E R
R
O
T
H
E
R

Could someone explain to me toner cartridges vs drums? Are they a separate thing that you can separately replace?

Can't get my printer to print from laptop, HP Artisian. Checked Ytube but still a no go?

Try installing Linux
Linux has many drivers pre-installed

Just a reminder, a few years ago my Canon Pixma printer/scanner was unable to scan because there was no ink. Yes you are looking for laser printer but just something to keep in mind. These bastards are bloody greedy. Ever since that excuse of a printer/scanner I've bought separate flatbed and laser printer.

Thnx W520 win 10

HP is literally worse than Hitler
May they all rot in hell

>What kind of printers does Sup Forums have?
a samsung ml2851ndr

the old brother hl2150n I had kept tab on printed pages per toner and was DRM'd to death like HP, so I gave it away to my dad to replace his shitty dell inkjet.
I have no idea why brother keeps getting recommended.

Agreed.
Bought some new cartridges off Amazon, and the colored ones (CYM) are already depleted after like 25 paged.
Never ever again.

Xerox, for unrivalled everything. Everything can be done via CWIS, all the parts can be changed so you're never left with a non functioning device because some stupid consumable is "full". There are tons of hacks for everything and they can be bought used from companies replacing their fleets just like with the ThinkPads.

Seriously, the easiest way to make sure that you can print from your OS is by not involving your OS. Scan to email, no OS required. Printing by handing the printer the files directly through a web interface or CLOSE, job done. Anyone with more than two brain cells would get a Xerox device.

>CLOSE
Stupid autocorrect, CLI.

I have an Epson xp342

Did a Continuous Ink-Supply Systems hack on it, because I refuse to give the Epson kikes the ink money