Upgrade help

I've built this PC in 2011 (I think) and haven't upgraded anything since, except the drives.

This year I really feel the old age. Even shitty looking games stay below 30fps on lowest settings.
I don't want to buy a completely new machine just yet (it's my most stable system to date), so I thought about getting a better GPU.

My main questions:
>Will a better GPU help, or will the other parts bottleneck it?
>Which GPUs are worth it?

My current card is a HD6970 with 2GB

>with 2GB

Obviously I meant 1GB as shown in the pic

Your CPU is prob throttling from temperature. wtf

Get a cheap tower heatsink.

>95°C

It's hot in my apartment during summer. That sucker can take it.

Games run like shit during winter, too.

I have a 2500k and an HD6950 with 2GB VRAM and I can get about 30fps on medium - low settings.

What the fuck is wrong with your CPU. It better be under some serious load if it is at 95°C.

Run a prime95 test. Restart you computer and open only speccy and prime95. Wait a few minutes and observe CPU temperatures. Take note of what the average temperature is. Now go to prime95 and run a smallFFT torture test. Your CPU is going to heat up really quickly and get hot so watch speccy. Keep the temp below whatever the max threshold is for the 2500k and then stop prime95. If your CPU doesn't go back down to idle temps then that means you need to replace the thermal paste and make sure that the fans in your system are working.

Look up how to use prime95 before you actually attempt to use it.

I actually didn't even look at speccy for years. Just installed it now to take the screenshot.

My CPU idle temp is 70°C. Fan's working fine, so I guess I'll go and get some new thermal paste.

But what about the GPU?

If your GPU is that hot at idle it's probably being throttled during heavy use because of how much hotter it gets. You should get some compressed air and blow out your whole case and clean any dust filters. Also lots of modern games list 2GB of vram for even minimum requirements.

70°C is hot for it to be sitting there idle doing nothing. I'd take this user's advice and blow out any dust in your system. New thermal paste could be the next step. Depending on how old your system is, it could be crusty.

Is there anything else running in the background that is whoring up RAM/CPU etc?

I personally would change the CPU Cooler (95ºC is insane) and the GPU for an RX 470 4GB if you dont want to spend too much money at it.

>CPU idle temp is 70°C

My 2500k at 4.2Ghz doesn't even get that hot when stress testing for an hour.

You really need to clean that shit out like other anons already said.

what a piece of shit, I'm giving you no recs until you maintain that heap and come back with proper temps.

Nobody can afford polaris cards cuz of eth. A used 780 can be found on craigslist for around $120 tho and will perform similar

newfag here, wtf is eth? minners?

Replace thermal paste on CPU and clean your fucking computer
Get a 1050ti or RX 560, maybe a 1060 or 570 but anything more would bottleneck the CPU unless you overlock (you have an unlocked CPU and not overclocking)
An i5 750 overclocked still works on modern games so yours should too (check JERMGaming channel).

Buy a proper tower cooler. Overclock the CPU. Try get higher freq/tighter timings on memory (memory actually matters). Replace GPU with 1066/580/570.

>unlocked CPU and not overclocking
You can't know that for sure.
That's how those processors identify themselves.
You have to actually go into the CPU info and look at the multipliers and stuff.

yea new flavor of the month cryptocoin

>Get a 12€ cpu cooler +3€ paste to fix that temps
>Buy a used 770 GTX for 50-60€
>Now you can play 98% of the games released up to this day at 60fps

This negro has this temps on idle, permanent thermal throttling even if he overlocks he will get shit performance, cleaning his whole computer and applying a good thermal paste should fix this issue, only thing he needs to change is the graphics card.

>clean your fucking computer

I've got it open since the summer of 2012. I'd say for that he is pretty clean and obviously well ventilated.

Remove the stock cooler and clean it well, make sure no dust is left close to the CPU, after that get some decent thermal paste and you are good to go.

>That dirt and dust on the CPU cooler
>that film of dust on GPU
>open case
>dust everywhere

Clean your PC
Clean and re-apply thermal paste
Close the fucking case, it's meant to be closed!

Yeah now that I saw the 95°C I'll definitely get a new cooler and paste. Props to Intel tho: I'm sure my CPU got even hotter during gaming sessions in a 34°C room in summer.

I'll also take a look at GPU suggestion

my pc isn't much different
>haven't changed hardware in 5 years
>dust it out once a year
>oc'd to 4.5GHz
>idles 5 degrees above room temperature
>hits 85c during stress test
>never seen 90c+
no excuse.

I had the same problem with my i5 750, just used a painting brush and just blew some air (didnt use any extra tools for this, just blowing a bit was enough), put some shitty themal paste because it was the best I could find on my area and went from 70 idle and 99 on games to 39 and 80 respectively (still bad but its a mediocre thermal paste), now its 32 on idle and 75 on games since its winter.

Apply thermal paste, m8

Ethereum is a cryptocoin, similar to bitcoin. Its price recently spiked, leading to the miners buying up all the Radeon RX 470/570/480/580 cards, as they are particularly good at that kind of mining.

What a fuckup. Don't buy any new components, because you'll fuck them up.

So are you cleaning it or are you ordering more thermal paste, a new fan or whatever? What is the plan?