Mother's Macbook Air isnt working

>Mother's Macbook Air isnt working
>she asks me to fix it for her
>take it to an apple store
>they say its unfixable and i need to replace it for a small fee of 300
>mother told me NOT to replace it
>take it to my buds house
>he fixes it by replacing a chip on the mobo and charges me 20 bucks and a six pack
why do (((people))) trust this company again???

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/1FDg1QzB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he fixes it by replacing a chip on the mobo and charges me 20 bucks and a six pack

How does 13 year old op feel knowing that he will be jacking it to your mothers pictures?

Because it looks cool

>i dont have friends™ the post
yikes

For Apple its easier and more cost effective to replace rather than repair. They dislike it that people tinker with their devices. They are against the right of repair bill, which I personally would support. Their hardware is great and their customer support is great (in most cases) when you are under warranty. This doesn't seem like a trusting issue, but rather a business practice issue.

hi louis!

pastebin.com/raw/1FDg1QzB

>(((people)))

That friend's name?

Louis Rossman.

Is there a nuke that specially targets iTards?

>be on Sup Forums, using my Gentoo rig powered by QUADFIRE 7970s and an i7 2600k, when knock at cave door
>OPEN UP WE'S THE POH LEASE
>push a couple old Pentium 4s against the door (those things are just so damn handy)
>begin waddling towards escape hatch
>BANG BANG BANG
>cops shooting the door, screaming MURIKA FUCK YEAH
>be Canadian, quite confused
>continue waddling as fast as I can
>cops break door down
>they begin sprinting towards me
>one gets caught in my intranet
>fuck that was an expensive cable it's hard to get them that long
>whatever
>cop begins shooting me
>dive behind Fermi pile
>Fermis burst into flames, buying me time
>grab my Thinkpad
>escape hatch blocked by cans
>prepare for final stand
>cop comes around corner
>nail her on the head with my Thinkpad
>Thinkpad 1 SWAT helmet 0
>another cop rounds corner
>shoots me
>absorbed in my fat, bounces off
>this angers me
>release the bear
>Guardian Neckbear leaps from neck and begins biting cop
>throw GNU/Hurd kernel DVDs at him
>he dies from disgust
>cop jumps through can pile
>falls onto my pile of dragon dildos
>runs back out screaming
>jump in my get-away pedovan
>mom runs out of house
>SERGIO COMPUTER NO JUST WERKO
>NOT NOW MOM I'M BUSY
>rev up car
>cop cars begin coming around corner
>speed off
>they chase me
>they have no drivers and crash into poles
>an entire polish parade
>1.7% of the parade survive
>more cops behind me
>NO TIME FOR LOVE, COPPERS
>helicopter appears above me
>it's rotational velociodencity begins to degrade as it comes closer to my giant dog-shapped pedovan
>it bluescreens
>jump out of door
>hit the floor
>because I tripped

I think you may have missed the memo.

>>he fixes it by replacing a chip on the mobo and charges me 20 bucks and a six pack
things that never happened, should have called support instead anyway the store doesn't know shit

They told my friend he couldn't get his files from his SSD because they don't do "data recovery"
The SSD was fine as well, it was only his screen that was not working.

These "people" need to fucking die. They're the same Tumblrinas who spout shit like "le I'm gender fluid" and "healthy at every size!!"

Yep, Apple is a fucking joke. Has been since day one, even before their theft from Xerox etc.

>Inb4 but muh Woz!!!!

Wozniak is just a fat ugly Jew who looks like a fucking Beaver.

>They told my friend he couldn't get his files from his SSD because they don't do "data recovery"
>The SSD was fine as well, it was only his screen that was not working.

They deserve what they get. I wasted my breath once advising my sister of the potential pitfalls of buying an Applel device with soldered-in shit -- she went ahead anyway. Long story short - she lost all her shit. Had a good laugh that day.

Just imagine the Applel car - can't change tires when they expire. You have to buy a complete new car just to get a new tire. Dickheads will think this is acceptable.

What chip, exactly? This doesn't seem like a real story.

I work for a company that makes computers and we don't do data recovery, either. That's a different companies job.

If you don't have backups don't blame the HDD manufacturer, computer manufacturer, server manufacturer, etc. It's your own god damn fault.

>If you don't have backups don't blame the HDD manufacturer, computer manufacturer, server manufacturer, etc. It's your own god damn fault.

No, shithead. If it were any other brand that isn't Apple, the HDD or SSD would be easily removed and data recovered. Having shit soldered and having to trash the whole system including a perfectly working SSD is just retard-tier. Apologists such as yourself should just fucking kill themselves for lending support to this mentality. You would probably see no issue with replacing an entire Apple car just because they wouldn't allow you to replace a tire.

>No, shithead. If it were any other brand that isn't Apple, the HDD or SSD would be easily removed and data recovered.

That's if the problem wasn't the HDD/SSD in the first place. If it is then you're back to square one. BACK UP YOUR SHIT. Do not try and argue against an extremely well known concept in tech.

>Do not try and argue against an extremely well known concept in tech.

Point out where I argued this. That's right numbnuts -- nowhere. Apologist trash.

You're literally making an argument that it's the computer companies fault that you don't understand 3-2-1 backups. Go back to Sup Forums and quit continuing the trend of making this board about nothing but consumer tech

>You're literally making an argument that it's the computer companies fault that you don't understand 3-2-1 backups.

No, that is you assuming such. I never implied anything of the sort, you slow-witted mouthbreather. Try again, faggot.

>literally

I haven't seen this one in a long time, thanks.

>Could have gotten a perfectly good refurbished MACBOOK FUCKING AIR with a warranty for only $300.

>REEEEEEEEEE MOMMY TOLD ME NO REPLACE COMPOOTAH!!!! WAIT TILL I TELL MY AUTISTIC NECK BEARD FRIENDS ABOUT THIS!!!

>That's if the problem wasn't the HDD/SSD in the first place.
He said it was a screen defect, which is usually easy to repair and doesn't affect the storage

HAHAHHAAHHHAAHAHHHAAHAH

exactly what i was thinking

You don't know anything about how the infrastructure works. Apple can't afford to pay highly trained technicians to sit around in the back of the Apple Store to re-solder some failed chip, they can't afford to have facilities in every Apple Store to properly and reliably install said chip, and they can't afford to have the inventory of the chip -- and all other such chips that may someday become problematic -- in stock at each store, waiting for someone like you to have a problem. They have to ship it to the repair depot -- priority overnight, both ways -- open it up, repair it, and close it. And they have to do it right, with authorized repair tools and ESD precautions, because if they don't, there's a good chance they'll fuck it up and be on the hook for even more money. It's a far cry from your beer-guzzling buddy in his basement, and that's why it costs more.

For Apple, I think being against right-to-repair, while unfortunate, isn't about screwing over the consumer by preventing third-party repairs. It's about their devices being held to a consistent standard. I've seen a lot of iPhones with third-party parts in them, and the parts in question are almost always shit. The worst part is, a lot of people don't even know third-party parts are in their phone. They got it secondhand from someone on Facebook or Craigslist, or they bought it at Wireless Trends, or they got it as a replacement device through Asurion mobile insurance. Then, when something goes wrong with the phone, who do they blame? They don't blame Asurion, or Wireless Trends, or that faggot on Facebook that sold them the phone. They blame Apple. They show up at the Apple Store with this phone that's broken because of parts Apple didn't make, which were installed by a technician Apple didn't train and certify, and they want a replacement device, at Apple's expense, because "Apple's phone" broke on them. I ask you: is that fair in any way?

flattered

To complicate matters further, Apple now runs programs like the iPhone Upgrade Program, where users trade their phone back to Apple. Is their phone worth less because they got it serviced through a third party? How much less? How do you make that decision? How are you going to explain that to the customer? How many extra billable man-hours do the determination -- and the subsequent explanation to the customer as to the depreciation of their phone -- take?

Apple's also developing machinery like LIAM to disassemble and re-purpose parts and materials from failed iPhones in an automated fashion. What happens if LIAM encounters a third-party part? What happens if the screw is different, or the screen isn't attached in the same way, or the battery adhesive is gone? I don't know. You don't know. Apple doesn't know, and they prefer not to take their chances. I don't blame them for that.

There are a lot of aspects of the right-to-repair issue that subtly affect Apple's bottom line. It's more complicated than you think.

What they mean when they say that is that they don't deal with user data unless they're being paid a lot of money to do so, because it's a time-intensive process that generates a lot of potential for liability. It's also an unpredictable type of service where you never know just *how much* time and effort it's going to take. It could be a two-minute drag-and-drop, it could be Diskwarrior, it could be a complete and total loss. The customer might have had something outside their home folder that you didn't know about, that you deleted because you wiped their drive to do a fresh install after you were done backing up their shit. Now, the customer's mad at you because you lost their data, even though they didn't tell you it was there. Apparently, you're supposed to be an omniscient wizard or something.

tl;dr Dealing with customers' data is a horrifying minefield that all businesses who aren't being paid a *lot* of money to handle said data prefer to avoid.

Funny how it says "think different" but all they have been shitting out is 2013 laptops and phones recycled. And the whole OS is a locked down turd with no customization so everyone looks the same like in those sci-fi movies with spying up the ass
Welcome to the botnet

>2013 laptops recycled

That's actually a good thing. When their chassis, cooling system, etc. are a known quantity, it leads to more reliable, better-designed, and better-performing computers. Notice how, every time there's a chassis design shift, the first model has problems, and then the model after that has almost no problems? That's this effect in action.

As for customization, on iOS at least, customization is a great way to get people to cause your shit to stop working in ways you can't possibly predict. It happens on Android constantly, but Android OEMs don't give a fuck what happens to you or whether you can use your phone, so they don't really have a vested interest. It also expands the attack surface of the operating system exponentially, proportional to the degree of customization that is allowed.

There are reasons for it beyond the "hurr hurr we control u" that paranoid, small-minded people ascribe their actions to.

>Buying a Applel car
>Not buying a Tesla
WAhT the fuck

>Customization
I flashed a new rom on my S5 changed some shit ariund added custom widgets changed theme and it just werks.
Then again Apple users are mostly normalfags who know jack about tech and just want the latest trendy thing thats cool around their friends
And I say MOST of them not ALL of them

>Apple car

And if it didn't just werk, what would happen then? Well, you'd go on xda-dev and you'd ask a bunch of hobbyists "wat do". And that works sometimes. But sometimes it doesn't, and that can get pretty damn annoying.

Also, custom ROMs are harmful to Android's landscape in that the existence of solutions like custom ROMs creates the *expectation* that people will install custom ROMs. It removes responsibility from Google and from the OEMs to actually develop good software, because, well, you can do it yourself, and therefore you should!

No. You shouldn't have to. You should be able to buy something that's already good when you take it out of the box. That should be the rule, not the exception (Pixel, Nexus). Shit devices shouldn't have that out, and should be consigned to the dustbin of history where they belong.

They don't want retards who just fuck around and not even do their jobs and then call themselves "Geniuses"

I also have the S8+ plus and I just installed a comfy theme changed shit around again
Just werks

>a chip on the mobo
wut

Software fag pls go and stay go.

This makes me sad. I work at an authorized Apple retailer, and I always do my best to help everybody who walks in.

Yes, sometimes I make you wait. I do that because I have to. I do that because there are three customers fo each one of us, and I have to make sure everyone's been greeted and been checked in for service where applicable before I can start actually troubleshooting. How would you like to be the one standing around being completely ignored while the technicians spend 30+ minutes helping someone else? It feels shitty, so I like to at least acknowledge everyone's existence.

Yes, I do sometimes hit you with an exorbitant repair bill or tell you I can't help you at all. I do that because I have to as well. Apple sets our rates, and for the most part, we can't do repairs in-house. I hate when this happens, and this is why I always proactively recommend whatever warranty coverage may be applicable, explain backups and cloud storage solutions free of charge (yes, the company would prefer that I charge for this, but I don't when I can avoid it), and recommend against practices like buying sketchy secondhand phones or maintaining mobile insurance through your cell carrier.

I want what's best for you, always, and I'm always on your side. I can't speak for all of Apple's retail partners everywhere, but if you walk into my store, you're in good hands.

Yes, but your fingerprint reader isn't ambidextrous and Samsung decided it would be cool to axe Google Assistant in favor of their own shitty assistant that doesn't even fucking understand you yet if you're not speaking Korean. There's even a hardware button for said assistant! And you accuse Apple of cynical attempts at lock-in.

Where did your friend find an M.2 SSD for $20? Is your friend a nigger? OP must be a nigger as well then...

I disabled the whole button and also got used to the fingerprint sensor
Also there is something called a password and pattern remember those?
Also nice thing is S8 automaticly encryipts the phone if you put any time of secure lock on it

Pattern locks are terribly insecure, and passwords are bullshit. I'm not going to type in 6 digits every time I want to look at something on my phone. That sucks, and it's why fingerprint readers exist in the first place. Back when I had my Nexus 6, I had the passcode completely disabled because having a passcode drove me up the fucking wall. In that way, fingerprint readers are great because they encourage people not to do dumb shit like disabling their passcode in the name of convenience.

Re: the button, the point is that it's a hardware button that can't be remapped. Disabling it and having a useless button on your device that does nothing is the best you can do, and that sucks. If you could set it to Google Assistant, that would be cool, but it goes against Samsung's lock-in strategy, so there you go.

Re: automatic encryption, the iPhone has been doing that since the iPhone 5S. Macs are doing it now too.

Well all of the reatilers I spoke with and all of them sounded like they were saying "oh fuck off already get out of here" in their heads. As if they didnt even want the job in the first place.
You are the good portion though I like that don't be one of those fags that just look at it for 5 seconds and say "sorry mate nothing we can do bye bye" please.

>should have called support instead anyway the store doesn't know shit
Their answer would have been take it into an Apple™ Store™

Most likely he meant a fuse or a capacitor on the mainboard.

Yeah, I know the kinds of people you're talking about. I'm sorry that they exist, and that you drew them instead of me. I wish there were a thousand of me, that I could help everyone the way I help the 20 or so customers I help on an average day.

The telephone support line actually does have access to some tools that retailers typically don't, especially when it comes to account/verification issues.

>Just imagine the Applel car - can't change tires when they expire. You have to buy a complete new car just to get a new tire. Dickheads will think this is acceptable.
Apple would develop a whole new nut especially for their cars.
You would not get a wrench that could undo it.
Only partnered garages would get the socket for undoing it.
If you get a flat tire you would have to contact one of their partnered services to come and change the tire for you, otherwise you would have to get your car towed or transported on a flatbed to a partnered garage.

Even better don't even use a lock at all
Also the iphone has backdoors as well to encryiption but at least it prevents Tyrone from using it after he stole it

Or even better you need the isteer if you want to drive the car after you buy it becasue it is sold sperately

The iPhone has backdoors to iCloud encryption. Apple can get at what you have stored in iCloud, and they can occasionally, when served a warrant, attempt to induce an iPhone to back up its contents to iCloud. However, any content that's stored on the device is securely encrypted behind your credentials -- AppleID, passcodes, etc -- and can't be gotten at by anyone as long as it remains locked.

Yeah then again I gave up on Apple products in general they are not suited for me
Make sure you don't become one of those people user

I'd sooner kill myself.

Also i just want to mention it was funny with the whole icloud share, one Sup Forumsastard said he was downloading cp on his mac from 4chins but instead pressed icloud which it sent to all of his family and on the apple database
One click ruined a life

I mean, the click that he used to download CP ruined his life. iCloud was largely incidental. Assuming, of course, that this was a real incident and not just an edgy copypasta (yes, I do remember the specific one you're referring to).

Anyway, hair-splitting aside, it is definitely a good idea to practice good data hygiene with regards to cloud services. The exact same thing could hypothetically happen to you with OneDrive or Google Drive. One thing that's especially dangerous about iCloud is the Desktop/Documents sync. It's handy in most cases, but watch out for that shit, don't add things to your desktop that you don't want to leave a fingerprint.

I don't do anything wierd but I still sign out of accounts when im not using them disable onedrive, disable updates use ungoogled chromium and a encryipted windows 7 just to stay secure

I think my idea is much more realistic.

I use Boxcryptor. It encrypts your cloud-stored data in a user-transparent way before it even leaves your computer.

The catch with it is that you need to use the Boxcryptor app on mobile or desktop to get at the data -- the first-party apps for the various cloud services won't be helpful -- but the data is definitely encrypted.

It's free, as long as you only want to use it with one account and don't care about filename encryption. If you want filename encryption and multiple (infinite) accounts, though, you can get that for about $40/year.

>throw GNU/Hurd kernel DVDs at him
>he dies from disgust

>And the whole OS is a locked down turd with no customization
I'm pretty sure you can rice Mac OS, and I don't know of it being locked down in any way.

>>he fixes it by replacing a chip on the mobo and charges me 20 bucks and a six pack
How did you find out which part was bad?

There is SIP, but it's mostly harmless -- in fact, generally beneficial, as it can guard you against certain nasties that could otherwise be a real problem -- and I'm pretty sure you can turn it off anyway, especially if you're the kind of person who considers digging around in a command prompt fun.

I really wouldnt want to mess around with cloud stuff. Its comfy for me right now

That doesn't sound so bad after looking it up. Limitng root sounds silly at first, but considering not everyone realizes they're using root privileges when installing software, I think it's a decent solution.

>but mooooooooom apple is shit, just bring me my poptarts
>but mooooooom im still looking for a job, cant you understand that
>but moooooom its not cp, its called loli anime and shes 600 years old

>projecting
One day you will get a job, move out of home and be able to make your own choices of what things you want to purchase instead of being pressured into purchases by family and friends.

DON'T YOU DARE MAKE FUN OF LOLIS

> video card module went on 2010 MacBook
> they replaced over $300 worth of parts for free

Don't know what to tell you. You can bitch and cry all you want but everybody has good and bad experiences with companies. Just not all faggot come to a message board to cry

Warranty repairs are a thing.
Every company has them.

> calls out apple for stealing
> uses windows
> bill gates couldn't afford a better wig despite worth billions
/g logic there

>/g

That's the general trend when it comes to researching the so-called "limitations" on Apple, I find. Most of what gets implemented is pretty fair and understandable, and serves a utilitarian purpose.

There are a couple things I won't defend, though:

1) Hard drives in *anything*. Just stop it, Apple. The SSD-based laptop Macs positively embarrass the HDD-based desktop Macs. You can get a custom-to-order Mac desktop that includes an SSD -- I personally did this for my iMac -- but the great thing about the off-the-shelf configurations is that you can buy them and walk out the door with them same-day, returns are allowed (many retailers won't accept returns on CTOs because they don't have SKUs with which to sell them again), and it's possible to get discounts. It's also the way most people buy computers, and I hate that these crappy shelf models are tarnishing people's perceptions by being slow to respond to input.

2) The App Store infrastructure. It needs a *lot* of help. Devs on the iOS side have been raising hell for a long time about the inability to offer upgrade pricing. It chases a lot of serious enterprise players away, because that's how their business model works. In-app purchases are often used as a band-aid for this problem, but it's an imperfect solution at best. One problem with IAPs is that they rely on third-party auth servers, and another problem is that they don't necessarily propagate across an iCloud Family in the same way that a standard App Store license does. The Mac side is worse: nobody has ever given a shit about the Mac App Store because most of the Mac's most valuable apps violate the iOS-esque restrictions placed on apps to be offered in the App Store.

3) iTunes. Holy fuck, iTunes is terrible. I'm really glad that, at this point, it's become "that app I use to back up my iPhone".

In theory, yes. In practice... eh. They're just as likely to snow you as they are to help you, and there's no retail presence.

I've never had a problem with my Macbook Air (6 years now), and it runs fine to this day. I just want a new laptop, something with specs I won't need to upgrade for a while. Either that, or buy a used Mac Pro on some relatively shady as fuck website for cheap.

you should honestly find a new job with a company that doesn't treat its employees and customers like shit

you seem to be a nice guy who actually cares if the customer gets what they want or not and doesn't seem to particularly enjoy upselling

save your soul while you can before apple steals it

I like my job so far. As long as I sell some stuff (NOTE: helping people and selling them something *are not* always mutually exclusive) and get good reviews from the customers, I basically get to keep doing what I'm doing. I'll continue doing things the right way up to the day it costs me my job, if it comes to it. No need to worry about me, I'm a pillar of stone.

You'll know my name someday. I have backup plans for when I depart this job as to how I might help the world in bigger and better ways.

you seem to enjoy selling people things they actually need

again i'd look elsewhere but if you can hold your tongue and keep your scruples in check you can suffer in silence

i used to have your job before i finally couldn't take it anymore

the owner was also a prick who would quite literally berate customers if they were annoying him (example being that if they were interrupting them he'd rudely tell them to 'stop jumping down his throat') but that's another story entirely

Apple refurbished shit and then sells it to the next person who comes with a broken laptop.
They are praying on your ignorance.

>not having good relations to your family

literally what

Apple's refurbs come with the same warranty that the new ones do. If it breaks, it's treated the exact same way. Apple doesn't have an interest in giving people replacement computers that are going to break. Why would they? When they do that, the person turns around and contacts Apple again, taking up valuable man-hours on the support line or on the sales floor at an Apple Store. They incur more depot shipping fees moving the computer from one location to another for service. They waste the man-hours of the technicians and diagnosticians and logistics workers who are a part of the diagnosis and repairs process. All those hours are billable, and not even Apple has an infinite amount of them.

Trust me, they don't want to sell you broken shit. If they happen to do so, it's by accident.

>Apple's refurbs come with the same warranty that the new ones do
which is basically not having one
buying applecare on anything but their mobile devices is a waste of money

That's not true at all. AppleCare on a 13" MacBook is $249. That's pretty substantial, but a top case replacement on a MacBook can run as high as $900. Your $249 gets you two extra years of protection against that monster. Also, certain Apple retail partners offer their own warranties that cover accidental damage. Those are usually worth a look, if you live near the retailer in question.

Also, having had AppleCare makes Apple customer support more likely to meet you in the middle if something happens that's technically outside your warranty. I had a dark spot on my iMac's display panel once, and I got it replaced fo'free, despite having a chip taken out of my display glass that otherwise would've disqualified me.

AppleCare is always worth it. It's a great peace-of-mind measure. As long as it isn't physical damage caused by you, AppleCare covers it, and that's great.

why would you need a top case replacement from something that isn't accidental damage

that's why it's a waste of time

you can always get it repaired cheaper by a third party

on mobile it's worth it because applecare+ comes with 2 no questions asked complete replacements for a small deductible

>why would you need a top case replacement from something that isn't accidental damage

Lots of reasons. Trust me. I see these daily. Some reasons would include dead keys or trackpads on certain models, and failed batteries on the 12" Retina Macbook. You really don't want to be on the hook for this kind of thing, I'm telling you. Feels bad, man.

that is a good point but all i'm taking away from this is that apple needs to design their shit not to break on purpose

>mods, Sup Forums is leaking again!

>Point out where I argued this. That's right numbnuts -- nowhere. Apologist trash.
Is this a copypasta?