Why do people obsess over uptime...

Why do people obsess over uptime? is it healthier for your PC/Laptop that it stays on foe log periods of times instead of being shutoff occasionally? I get it if its a server but not a home PC

It's just epeen.
>MY NUMBER IS BIGGER THAN YOURS THAT MEANS I'M IMPORTANT

Stretch will be released on June 17.

not my screenshot and you mean stretch will be stable in June (?) not a Debian guy but I think that how it works

anons LARPing as sysadmins where uptime is actually a part of the job. No one cares about the uptime of your PC or home server.

>he doesn't restart his server every night at midnight

Yes.

* 2 * * * apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade -y; apt-get autoremove; apt-get aut
oclean; shutdown -r now;

Even for sysadmins individual server uptime isn't important, most sites have a weekly update rollout schedule which will require rebooting anyway..

It used to be cool, now it's more like "I haven't updated for this long!"

what the fuck

>windows servers

anoobis@botnet:~$ uptime
16:05:53 up 1 day, 4:56, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.13, 0.16

They have nothing else to boast about.

You linux losers should find a better things to do. Maybe try doing some work sometimes with computer.

If you're running a server, you want as much uptime as possible. It's really just an e-peen waving contest here though it does show how stable your system is when you never have to reboot it.

go back playing far cry, """hard worker"""

You never really have to reboot any modern OS as far as functionality goes, it's just something that's required every once in a while for certain updates.

If you work in local councils or education windoze is pretty common

>kernel updates don't exist nor are they ever applied

>though it does show how stable your system is when you never have to reboot it
It shows how stable it is, or it shows how you never put it under any load other than web browsing.

ubuntu seamless updateâ„¢

It would be better if we didnt get a momentary blackout every two months or if i had a ups.

You're confusing OS uptime with service availability. If you're running a server you want your service to remain available and functioning during the times when its needed. OS uptime is only valuable so long as it serves that goal.

And yes, it's much better to have some kind of SLA that permits periodic downtime where the service doesn't have to be available at all. So you can apply kernel updates without fucking with ksplice and shit (fun fact: updates have to be specially prepared to be compatible with live-patching, not all are or can be made so), do preventative maintenance or work on the hardware, and be able to recover more easily if something goes wrong while you're doing one of these things.

OS uptime is mostly just dick-waving.

>Why do people obsess over uptime?
System admins are "reviewed" by their uptime records

* 2 * * * apt-get break the system

Get slack, faggot

They've got to be compensating for something...

This. Is op stupid or something?

So is this going to mimic Windows albeit more useful?

>he doesn't have UPSes for his server, network gear and desktop

That said, my server only has 29 days even though the pfSense box reports 64 days. I forget why I rebooted it.

Desktop has 7 days but it doesn't really count as I sleep it every night.

(OP) most of the autists who obsess over it are not even sysadmins...