Powerline ethernet adapters

Hey Sup Forums,
I'm looking for an ethernet solution such as pic related. Does anyone know if these work? They seem kinda sketchy to me. Currently using a shitty USB wifi adapter which can't make full use of my wifi.

Other urls found in this thread:

monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9557
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on the wiring in your house
order it from Amazon and if it doesn't work, return it and get a full refund

I had some in my house, I wasn't a fan. The connection would drop for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, multiple times a night. I was sick of the shitty USB wifi adapter too, so I ended up just biting the bullet and buying a decent pcie wifi adapter.

Did you see any major improvement with the pcie adapter that made it worthwhile? Might look into that instead.

The good ones are great if you have them on the same circuit. I'm using some midrange Devolo crap I would not recommend.

The adapters have to be on the same circuit in order to talk to each other. Make sure to check your house wiring before putting your money down. Also, noisy appliances on the circuit will interfere with the connection.

How well would these work as an ethernet alternative for a PS4? I can't have an ethernet cable running to one of the rooms, so I was thinking of using a powerline adapter instead. Does anybody have any experience with using one for a PS4?

I wouldn't recommand it.
My PS4 via wifi has a better connection than my desktop via powerline.

Damn, I guess I'll have to run the ethernet cable through the room. Over wifi, my PS4 gets an average of 9 mbps in both downloads and uploads. I forwarded my ports to see if anything could help, and it dropped to ~2 mbps. I'm just not sure what I can do anymore to get better speeds. I pay for 75 mbps.

I pay for 40 and have 3 from powerline, 10 when I'm a good boy.

Got 2 powerline adaptors in a 50 yo house so the wiring isn't that great. The first powerline is at the 1st floor and I have my desktop on the 3rd. I never had a problem with it besides changing the password because my neighbours had powerlines too.
I'm perfectly happy with them but as the other said, the wiring is important, the amount of stuff plugged In too : I noticed that the local network speed was varying if I put the dishwasher on or if one of my roommate was using the oven.
If you have any other specific question. Just ask.
For reference, I bought 2 denovo for 80 euros.

Yeah the pcie is working a ton better than the powerline did for me. It's considerably better than the usb wifi dongle too.

However, one of my housemates has been using the powerline adapters for months without any issue. The quality seems to be highly variable based on a house's wiring, as the other bedroom didn't have any of the issues I did.

It all comes down to what's between them. If they're on the same circuit, you're golden; if they're on circuits from the same phase in one circuit panel, you're okay; if, as in my case, there are three circuit panels in the way between one outlet and the other, you may be better off with a decent wireless network.

I have a 3 way of power line adapters and they work great! 100MB connection and 26ms latency. No drops and I can stream HD (1080) from my server with no issues. There is a slight delay 5-15 seconds when you select a video though. Very happy with my purchase from Amazon. TP link I believe.

Damn. All you guys are getting pretty slow speeds. Was thinking of getting powerline adapters because I have gigabit internet and wireless only puts out 300/300, but my house was built in the 40s so I guess it wouldn't be any better.

What's the actual speed you can push through these things?

I've heard they give shit tier speeds so if you have a remotely decent connection I'd avoid

I have a new construction townhouse and I can get 600-700mbps using the TP-Link AV2000

Just run a damn cable properly, you put in the work once and you've got a fast, 100% reliable connection essentially forever.

>Does anyone know if these work?
They work. In a densely populated area, they work a hell of a lot better than WiFi.

>The adapters have to be on the same circuit in order to talk to each other.
Not really true. I have a set of ten split between two service panels in what was originally a two-family. They all talk fine.

I got them in my house. My house is old as fuck and wiring probably sucks but I seem to get a very good speed with them. They're pretty cheap anyway give them a try.

I have the ones in OP's pic, the TP-Link PA2011 (i think)
They work pretty well, get almost the same speed from connecting directly to the modem via ethernet, with a kilobit sized difference.
My apartment was built in the early 90's, though, so maybe the wiring is helping with the quality.

Run an ethernet cable.

I've bought a pair and unfortunately they didn't work well at all. Speeds fluctuated, and the connection kept dropping randomly. They do work for most people, but I'm one of the unlucky ones. I ended up just running some cat6 through the crawlspace.

>I ended up just running some cat6 through the crawlspace.
far better option if possible. Dedicated CAT5e or CAT6/CAT6a is always better than wifi or powerline.

Using TP-Link and no connection problems.
I had AVTech braned powerline before and got frequent connection drops. So I think the brand is important.

Put ethernet plates in the walls, and just run the cables under the moulding/behind the edge of the carpet. It's the easiest not-technically-professional way to do it. I've done whole houses this way, and just ran everything to a router in the basement.

Sony's servers are booty user. I have my PS4 and my PC hooked up over a powerline solution. PS4 downloads around 6 or 7 mbps, but I can max out my connection when downloading through Steam (50/10 connection)

No matter what you do will make the PS4 downloads not shit.

Using these in house built in 1810.. no way I can run through walls. Using to run 4 PoE IP cameras. Work fine. Have the Comtrend because they offer a PoE version.

I bought some and they worked shockingly well for such a huge distance (150ft + 1 fuse box) but after a while it started getting worse. At first i lost about %20 of my max speed but drilling or pulling was out of the question.

I then bought the flat 100ft ethernet cable and I ran it through the window around the trim of the house its not in direct sunlight but there is rain and humidity but it still is working SHOCKINGLY well with no packet loss.

monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9557

>move into shitty old apartment
>appliances (except water heater) from the 80s/90s
>no ethernet ports
>management's shitty and I know they won't let me run cables
>resign to knowing I'll never have a wired network here
>fast forward six months
>get new ISP
>really want wired connections to both my living room and office
>pull off these ancient cat3 plates to see if there's any chance I can use the existing cables to pull new wire through
>joke's on me, for some reason only God knows every telephone jack in the apartment is actually wired with cat5e (some of them also have unused cat3 cables as well for some weird reason
>all tied together in a panel behind my dryer
>feels good man
Sucks to be you though, OP. Powerline ethernet is trash. I had it when I was a teenager in a brand new (~2008) house and it was garbage.

Do you use your landline for anything? Because ethernet only uses 4 wires, you can get away with putting cat5 terminators on phone lines.

powerline adapters suck I had more drops than wifi.

Works great for me in a detached house. Better than my PCIe AC wifi adaptor. Honestly if I didn't set them up myself I'd think it was a Ethernet cable through the floor.

I have the exact same ones in your pic. They are pretty decent, depending on how far away your outlets are from the one you have your router attached to. In my room, it works without problems, but for my roommates it sometimes cuts out for a limited time (around 2-5 minutes) and they have to use wifi in the meantime. For me, it works much better than my shitty TP-Link wifi PCIE card, which has terrible connection and it's much less of a hassle to install than laying actual ethernet cables through your walls or through conduits.

Just do what said.