This thread is about the appreciation of horology...

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewing:
youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ar15.com/forums/t_1_178/1813858_.html&page=1
youtu.be/C9tOHiPQpbw
nienaber-uhren.de/en_dezimal-uhr.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dumb frogposter!

Give me a list of quality watches that are COSC certified (or could be) in the $2,500 range.

In house movements preferred.

2 POOR TO BUY A ROLEX BUY A TUDOR

Turtle

Is that the only option?

Hell you can get a COSC for under 1,000.

No anything eta based should be around 1-2.5k if it actually has been certified.

What are the Citizen eco drive watches like for
-value
-accuracy

>leading off a watch thread with a pepe

come on man

Turtle more like too big

I saw conversation about this in the last thread. Is it worth at all swapping a movement in a skx013? Are we confirming you CAN'T put a 6R15 in there?

Are there any clocks or watches that are in Republican Time or Decimal Time? And not an Android App?

They are great for accuracy and for what you get they are an excellent value.

the eco drive is proven and you probably won't have to fuck with the watch in any way for 15-20 years

the vast majority of them are ugly as fuck though

>Republican Time
the fuck is Republican Time

The conclusion was that you can

January 20, 2017 through eternity

>>>kys

>January 20, 2017 through eternity
more like TIME FOR A NEW PRESIDENT amirite?

Nah just the perspective. Though it is my biggest piece and I do have small wrists. My maximum capacity lug to lug is 48mm. So this just gets away with it.

Yes, they're good watches, with a good movement. The compass bezel is pretty poi by less, and they should have come on a bracelet, but otherwise they're the best of their price point. Would only be better if they started selling the SARB013 again.

If /wt/ were to be defined by one watch, what would it be?

what is the most /wt/ watch?

Republican Time or more exact, French Republican Time

It was invented by the French along with the metric system during that whole whirlwind of reforms.

It divides the day in to 10 hours, 0:00 meaning midnight and 5:00 at noon.

Each hour is then divided by 100 minutes and each minute, 100 seconds. Making each "second" shorter than the standard second but each hour almost twice as long as the standard.

There have been attempts in more modern times to be of more use as Decimal Time since it is a base 10 system.

I always find in neat and I hoped maybe any of you guy may have ran into one.

u wish

;0

SKX007

submariner if you are not broke

slav shit if you are

penisquartz for vintage 70s

but over all the SKX007 with a new bracelet

>whirlwind of reforms

That's a nice way to put it

Sounds cool user. Apparently Gallet has a model which displays time in decimal format.

No question.

SKX013K*

Appreciate a watch? You can buy a CPU with 10 billion transistors down at atom level for $300.

A watch is like a worm compared to the size of entire universe against a CPU

oh look its tgv how are you buddy?

Forgot that one, it should make the list but it's just a blowoff for super poor fags

>SKX013K*
is fine but not really brought up enough to be /wt's/ signature watch

I find it odd how many people here have the alpinist. While I personally love mine and the green dial it seems kinda out of taste Sup Forums wise.

Average wrist size is in the 7 inch area and people with average wrists really shouldn't be walking in the street wearing 42mm full size diving tool watches.

It's literally 2 or 3 guys who NEVER SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THEM and post photos every day multiple times per day

The lug to lug measurement is the same on both the SKX013 and the SKX007 if I recall.

Which means they basically wear the same.

42mm looks fine on a 7 inch wrist

its not a horrible value for money but I personally find them garish. I also just would not get a Seiko movement over an eta If i'm gonna drop 500 dollars on a shitter its gonna be a German made shitter with Swiss guts.

lug to lug is slightly smaller lug width is smaller and its thinner.

to each their own. I don't really like it on myself.

Because the Rolex fags or Tag Huehue guy who post non stop isn't 10x worse than the three or so Alpinist pics a thread.

I'm not even the guy who commented before but honestly no its not. We are talking one watch here. One green Japanese watch that gets posted in every single wt...

>implying the same explorer doent get posted six or more times a thread.

At least that explorer is nice

Yea $1000 nice. Not $8000. Also Rolex hasn't made an interesting design since the Pepsi bezel.

The explorer isn't $8k m8.

Those green alpinests are honestly the ugliest watches that get posted here frequently

Is getting a 6R15 as a non-hobbyist terribly difficult ? Or overly expensive?

ne15 startime or ebay or other watch shops. no its not difficult ne20 is more interesting

Startime doesn't sell to hobbyist though?

you can make an account and order for two weeks

>tfw you spend half the day reading about the watch you're intent on buying

Which one?

Can someone explain positional / beat error as well as amplitude and its importance?

To the guy who wanted to throw a 6R15 in a SKX013 ... Sorry but it looks like its stupid difficult.

ar15.com/forums/t_1_178/1813858_.html&page=1

Here

youtu.be/C9tOHiPQpbw

North Flag.

I'm reading about the MT5621 and I'm really impressed by Tudor and what they've done.

It's an impressive feat of engineering and Tudor has taken their in-house product a little bit further than Rolex has with most of their current movements.

I can't believe that someone like Archie would disparage them so strongly.

Was replying to you

?

>since you have to hand fit up the stem to the crown holding the fit up tolerance to +/- 0.1 millimeter (because of the space need to screw in the crown and yet hit the 3 stem positions(handwind, date, timeset))

Does that not sound difficult?

Yeah I am also looking at the north flag. It gets a lot of hate here for the design but something about it draws me in

I was a machinist so no not really. I would just go very slowly and have extra stems on hand. That guy is also exaggerating you have a ton of play. The watch can still be winding when you screw the crown in..

Daily reminder that if you need something more expensive than slavshit you have a small penis

I have owned multiple amphibians and they keep shit time. The Russians couldn't make an accurate shitter to save their worthless fucking lives.

It's practical. The design and color scheme make it highly legible, which is something I've come to value highly in a watch.

I can see why some would dislike it though. It's bold, no doubt.

Nice anecdote. Are you back again?

Komandirskie watches looks like 10 year old toys.

*chinese made shitter

Mido (low-mid tier swatch) have cosc certified movements in some of their watches. They're the only swatch group shit worth looking at in that range (tissot,certina etc.,) if you really must.

>Are there any clocks or watches that are in Republican Time or Decimal Time?
I think some metric clocks were made in that era but there are no modern watches that do this.

You can get pure 24hour movements, but no one has bothered to configure a quartz or craft a mechanical movement with only 10hrs on the dial.

>its gonna be a German made shitter with Swiss guts.
>german shitter
>"german"
kek

German brands that make all of their watches (case, movement and movement parts, dial and hands in germany):
None.

German brands that make a combination of movements, dials, hands or cases in germany and if not germany then switzerland and in the odd case, italy (for dials, hands or cases):
A.Lange und Söhne
Lange und Heyne
Glashütte Original (but swatch group so who the fuck knows)
Nomos
Union Glashütte (but swatch group so who the fuck knows)
Mühle Glashütte
Damasko
Sinn
Wempe branded stuff

This category could be further broken down between those that are inclined to more swiss or more german production, but it's made tricky because for example Lange, who don't make their own cases, dials or hands in 99% of their stuff, sometimes source cases from Germany, and sometimes from Switzerland. I can't be bothered making the distinction right now.

German watches where, depending on price bracket, the case is german made or it's german refined from a chinese caseblank but universally use 'swiss' movements. Dials and hands: unknown:
Limes, Archimede (aka Ickler the casemaker's brands)

"Swiss" movement, chinese everything else:
Stowa
Steinhart

Might've missed some shit, but as far as I know there are no 100% German made watches, like you can find 100% Swiss, Japanese, Russian or Chinese watches.

Nomos is chinkshit

>shitty bait that will nevertheless garner a reply from the nomos "manufactory movement escapement in house achievement!!!" shill

really, $100? That's a steal.
Little piece of advice, you should let the chrono running when possible, it will put less wear on the (now very hard to replace) parts.
Single-register chronos are very cool. And you seem to have a decent example, I like the case.
And yeah you should get the crystal replaced. A generic replacement shouldn't be too expensive.

wait you said fully functional but the day is broken...

I don't see why you couldn't, a 6r15 is essentially a 7s26 with a couple more features.

Not that I know of, but it shouldn't be too hard to make a digital one yourself, with like an arduino and a 7-segment display.

oh and to be more specific, vintage ones do exist, from when decimal time was introduced, but good luck getting your hands on one.

Pretty much. Museum pieces now: clocks from an age when only the ultra wealthy merchant class or aristocracy could even dream of owning a mechanical clock, add that to the fact that few were made and only for a short period of time before they realised that decimal time was a futile effort, and you have a very rare horological piece.

nienaber-uhren.de/en_dezimal-uhr.html

? the fuck are you talking about

I mean Steinhart is not an amazing brand but it is a German company that designs their cases dials and hands in Germany. They buy Swiss movements and assemble their watches in Switzerland. The fact that the case or dials may be manufactured in China doesn't mean shit to me. I actually can't even find one legitimate source that says the cases or dials are made in China. They may be but I honestly have yet to see any concrete evidence.

>I mean Steinhart is not an amazing brand but it is a German company that designs their cases dials and hands in Germany.

>designs their cases
>hey look at that rolex case, let's copy it down to the micron
>design

I'm right though

whatever man i don't own one . But i would rather own a Steinhart than a Seiko...

doesn't look like a Rolex to me

New thread, I will be closing this one down in 10 mins

I wanted this one but never got it...

csb

... and than later this one but in the meantime watches kinda lost it's purpose and I'm not into jewelry.

Have miband 2 meme tho.

>But i would rather own a Steinhart than a Seiko
It's ok, stupidity's not a crime.

>It's ok, stupidity's not a crime.
it should be

>But i would rather own a Steinhart than a Seiko...
that's real retarded bro

So steinhart is a german company that gets chinese watches made in switzerland.

>They buy Swiss movements
Yeah, about that:

A "Swiss Movement" is defined as:
>The movement must be assembled in Switzerland
>The movement must be inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland
>At least 50 per cent of the value of the movement’s components must be Swiss
Get 99% of the movement made in china and plop in a nivarox hairspring or incabloc shock system or even a fancy (actually swiss made) rotor that costs ten times the rest of the movement and there you have it:
Voila, a "Swiss" movement.
Wow. It's fucking magic.

It's bullshit.

At the prices Steinharts go for, it's so very unlikely that any other part of their watches or components are "Swiss Made" as per their label. Swiss labor is very expensive.

If the Swatch conglomerate can't shit out tissots, mido's, certina's and even omega's without resorting to chinese production to keep prices (for them) down, pretty sure some little knockoff maker charging $500 can't do without china either and still hope to make bank.

I don't take issue with steinharts per se, their unoriginality is itself unoriginal, but they seem to be solidly made watches for the most part that many people are happy with and the CS from the few snippets I've read seems to be breddy good. I have a problem with the whole "swiss made" bullshit on the whole, but that's not on Steinhart: it's the moutaindew industry itself.

They've changed the laws concerning "swiss made" as of Jan this year, but it makes little difference. Same old looseness allowing for the same old swiss trickery.