X62

Just ordered my x62 motherboard straight from shenzen. Dam straight this is a thinkpad thread. /r/oast me.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFFHJnlP5oITwFJGAIUaZj0ndVULMS_p4JnpbP3OITV75HdA/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=send_form
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2045640500&wfr=c)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump
comeon where the t60 fags at

How does this one compare to an x201?

Newer processor, better battery life, imo better machine. Also 4:3 resolution is pretty cool.

>4:3
Am getting an x201 for the semi 4:3 screen.
How much did you pay?

where do you order... also did you upgrade screen? isn't it super low res

What cpu?

This.

Where do you order this? Where can you get an IPS display?

Not sure, its an intel i5 engineering sample processor. For sale on lcdfans Facebook page ane 51nb.com. I ordered just the motherboard upgrade for $500 with shipping and 8gb ram.

The x62 screen is 1400x1050 ips

Cool. Now where the FUCK do we buy it?

How's the brightness? Are you going to upgrade it to use LED backlights?

I retrofitted by own IPS display into the machine. If you a complete x62 it comes with an ips

what am i looking at?

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFFHJnlP5oITwFJGAIUaZj0ndVULMS_p4JnpbP3OITV75HdA/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=send_form

actually,
i have an x61 with a dead mobo.
wat do?

Buy the x62 board mang.
Do it.

Can I throw an x62 board in an x61t?

Will a t61p do?

uglier than sin

I actually own a 4th batch of the X62 (i5-ES motherboard and body) and have to say, it`s much better than I expect. This X62 is a hobby of love and with the price it`s selling at, it`s not for everyone (up to $980 USD for the i7 version). I would recommend to look at LED back lighting upgrade kit for the IPS screen. Heard the IPS screen will get dimmer the more you use it and the LED upgrade will solve this issue a bit. Consider about the upgrade but don`t have the skill and courage to do the work.

Either way, hope you like the X62 and show us some pics when you have the chance to post it here.

>and the LED upgrade will solve this issue a bit.
The LED upgrade turns a 160 nit screen into a 700 nit screen with better color.

Rather have a 2012 rmbp for $850

>having shit taste

T60 here .
running arch linux with pfsense and freenas in VM , 2 usb lan adapters for the pfsense and the onboard gigabit for the freenas along with a 24 port gigabit cisco switch.
might add a usb 3.0 express card since the usb adapters can reach gigabit speed on usb3 and an external 3.5hdd for the nas.
pretty comfy mini server imo

I'm not sure, the seller doesn't say you can, but you might be able to if you are brave enough. I dont know how the digitizer would connect.

that is metal as fuck way to get some bang for your buck

You can, but the tablet features won't work. There are lots of threads on the German thinkpad forum about adding an extra microcontroller to restore tablet function.

the switch costed 15$ and got the t60 50$ and the adapters for 10$ no too bad desu

Wow thats cool. Leave it to the germans I guess. There aren't a lot of x62's in circulation and im impressed to see that enough people have gotten together to work on fixing the tablet feature

processors are no longer advancing by leaps and bounds. An X62 could still be cutting edge in ten years.

Isn't that computer like 10 years old? How are people making these motherboard mods? Why not make it socketable?

>How are people making these motherboard mods?
It's a whole new motherboard.
>Why not make it socketable?
Sockets are big.
Besides, anyone working at this level can reball. Seriously.

It`s basically a new modern motherboard with the current technology squeeze into a smaller body of the laptop. This cost quite a bit as it`s not mass produce like other ThinkPad laptop which make sense as the market for this is a bit on the niche side.

I wonder where they sourced the engineering sample processors those are supposed to be intel confidential

51nb forums, which is the biggest Thinkpad forum in China is well known for it's mods to Thinkpads. It's user "Hope" (which is well known for modding modern motherboards to old IBM devices like T40, T60 and X-series) had organized a team for designing and testing those motherboards. Those mobos are made in OEM factory near Shenzen based on "Hope's team" design.
Those mobos have firmware support by Hope and those support all urgent Thinkpad features. Naturally, those modern Haswell/Broadwell -mobos doesn't have support for legacy features such as Cardbus and they haven't got dock connector for these mobos (I think Lenovo have somekind of patent for those connectors).

To be fair, the designs are... a bit odd? The BIOSes are half-assed and the X62 is using a desktop chipset that can't enter C7. So they're cutting some corners to get shit out the door.

I love my X230T, does that mean that in a few years someone might make a new motherboard for it to be some sort of monster?

If they is enough demand from people who want a X230 with more moderm parts and willing to pay the high cost to get it, then it might be a yes but it will be a while. The X61 is now 10 years old and the X62 just came out very recently (it`s on 4th batch as of now).

Just bought an intel GPU mobo, T7400, and free wifi card for my UXGA T60p.

I a couple of weeks I will have a glorious libreboot free-in-freedom machine.

Can I upgrade my old T62? Even with a SSD the Core 2 Duo is feeling pretty slow these days.

laptops make the best "servers" when storage is not a problem

eh, rather not spend hundreds on a gook QC board. Wake me up when they have a proper western facing market so I don't have to risk getting a damaged board

I have the X62(t) and T70. I can answer specific questions about them.

post more pics and vids

It looks exactly the same as a regular X61T, except not slow, so there isn't a lot to see.

Here's the 3dmark result from a GTX 1080 attached externally via the mPCIe slot.

the X62 board has a swappable CPU socket right? post good pictures of the new board if you can please

No, Intel doesn't make any socketed laptop CPUs anymore. BGA only

X62 basic HWINFO64 display

whoops, I forgot it has modern hardware out of pure stupidity
thanks

I just bought a Helix about a month and a half ago. Core i7, 8g ram. Pic semi-related. Not mine but just like it.

Does anyone have any predictions about western availability and possible price reductions for the standalone board? Is it going to stay obscure forever or will it ramp up production?

I've been wanting to assemble good condition/new X61 parts to throw it together but the current price (without some sort of warranty) puts me off

>retarded touchpad with zero buttons
why

because gookovo will slap the thinkpad logo on anything these days

The clickpad is a button.

It's not really a commercial product, so don't expect any larger production or availability. However, there is a warranty. My board had a problem and they fixed it for me. Shipping is the only painful part.

It has a total of 6 buttons on the touchpad. At the top are three (left, middle, right) for use when the trackpoint is used, and two on the bottom edge when the touchpad is used. It works reasonably well.

>My board had a problem and they fixed it for me. Shipping is the only painful part.
oh, interesting, you can at least buy it direct now as opposed to having to deal with a middle man?

You can buy directly (weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2045640500&wfr=c) but you'd need to be good at moonrunes or have a translator.

I see. Thanks. It would still probably be a pain to deal with them if anything's wrong.

It's a shame they don't officially expand to western markets. I think they underestimate the demand for something like this

You could buy the X62 from someone else who already own one (like in a forum). I know mine was bought from a person in Italy who don't want it and want the money to upgrade his other ThinkPad. Unfortunately, the used market for this is still high as they don't make too many of the X62 for the market and those who are selling them are selling them with all the add on which push the price up too high.

Yeah, I guess it's a matter of getting lucky. Thanks for the info

not op, but most likely from taobao. seller is 51nb