The Official Sup Forums Router Thread

>moving from Consumer to Business grade edition

Raise your hand if you were one of the thousands of people who got pic related and actually like it? I got this one when the reviews said it was a good buy and I have to admit it has served me well since then.

While I do like the Archer C7, and used it as the OP image because pretty much everybody bought one since it's the WRT54G of AC routers, I think this will be my last consumer router.

Anybody else currently using a consumer router and want to migrate to using a business grade router when AC gets replaced by a new standard?

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-monster-ac5300-wireless-routers-face-asus-rt-ac5300-vs-netgear-nighthawk-x8/performance-conclusion-12
smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>>moving from Consumer to Business grade edition
there is no such thing as business grade. it is just the same shitty consumer grade shit and at most does something retarded like support a few VLANs. the word you are looking for is enterprise class.

>Anybody else currently using a consumer router and want to migrate to using a business grade router when AC gets replaced by a new standard?
Just about anything enterprise class isnt going to have integrated wifi you retard. There are a handful of devices like Cisco 860 or 1901 routers which have it but they're absolutely retarded. If you're going to get enterprise class wireless you need discrete access points and will need a controller appliance as well if you want to use stuff features CleanAir.

True, but there's more integrated stuff as time goes on.

If you need router - buy router; if you need wireless ap - buy wireless ap, buying router with wireless ap is just getting worst of both worlds.
That said unify + rb750 (or more powerful, if you _really_ need it) will do the job just fine.

just get an old-ass computer and install pfsense if you want something that's "business grade"

Not anything enterprise class. Even cisco is killing off the integrated wireless controllers on their 3850 series switches. All that is left seems to be the ISR 800 series and all it supports is 10/100 and 802.11g/n

bought TP Link AC1200 (first gen) and when I flashed openwrt on it found out that it's the same hardware as AC1750 as TP-Link had hardware delivery problems at that time. Flashed AC1750 firmware with help of openwrt. Now have AC1750. Would buy again.

Just use a switch and have a firewall on your computer

>If you need router - buy router; if you need wireless ap - buy wireless ap, buying router with wireless ap is just getting worst of both worlds.
What?

pic related is a real router, not a shitbox. they dont come with wifi because why the fuck would they. you can occassionally find switch cards in them, but no one uses them outside of tiny satelite offices. you use discrete devices.

But why would you even need one of those at home?

It's not even a case of overkill, you would literally get zero benefit from it.

My UTM manages my three AP's for uniform wireless coverage.

Is the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 still the way to go or is there something better in that price range now?

A recent x86 box with vyos is better than 99% of the garbage out there. This includes "real" standalone routers as well

Wait for AC to be replaced and then buy. No point in buying a router now unless yours is broken. If it's broken, buy it.

>But why would you even need one of those at home?
Because it isnt a shitbox which needs to be rebooted once a month? Because you want something with a real QoS system instead of the laughable ones you get in "business" grade shitboxes? Because you want to learn routing protocols?

>Because it isnt a shitbox which needs to be rebooted once a month?
And >inb4 you only have 21 days uptime
I installed a software update which required a reboot. Even though this ASA is more than a decade old it still gets software updates.

>Because it isnt a shitbox which needs to be rebooted once a month?
Just install OpenWRT.
The only times I rebooted my router in the last 14 months were when I tripped the breaker by mistake and when I moved apartment. A grand total of three times.

>Because you want something with a real QoS system instead of the laughable ones you get in "business" grade shitboxes?
Potentially.

>Because you want to learn routing protocols?
A fucking waste of money. You can get emulator software for free if you want to do that or buy a shitbox Cisco router for cheap with all the same learning capability.
If anything your image is a testament to that. That device has two Gigabit Ethernet ports but a firewall throughput of only 300Mbps.

Wonderful throttle you have on your network there.

Is real QoS even possible on regular consumer cable/dsl lines?

>Wonderful throttle you have on your network there.
It is just a firewall. My internet connection is 50mbps down because my area sucks for ISP competition. Pic related is what does the actual routing for my internal network. My ESXi box has a pair of 10GbE trunks to it. Does you're consumer grade shitbox have 10GbE?

No, but then I have no need for 10GbE.

>be innathread about 802.11ac
>but have no need for 10GbE
You do realize that .ac exceeds 1Gb?

Power to you man but I had few pieces of cisco equipment like AP's and voip phones and if you're not already familiar with cisco environment it's not worth the pain and time to learn how to properly set everything up. It took me days of research to accomplish things I could finish in an hour with consumer grade equip.

>it's not worth the pain and time to learn how to properly set everything up
It does if you work in IT. And having a enterprise class homelab is a good answer to interview questions such as 'how do you keep your skills up to date'

>occult ritual to summon good ASUS customer support

>You do realize that .ac exceeds 1Gb?
Only in ideal situations.

Rate me, Sup Forums.

I just have pfsense running as another VM on my hypervisor box and gave it some intel NICs with vfio-pci.

Works for me.

I've got the AC68 that I've yet to set-up. Both are good from what I've read.

It's serving me well.

I had a Netgear with 802.11g support only prior to that. It's kind of a wonder to see that I can actually get 80+ MBps over wireless (over short distances).

Also USB is actually nice, I used it to share files over LAN, and while it's not great for that purpose, it helps out a bit.

Is this a meme or is it actually any good?

Pfsense in a HP proliant microserver i jewed off of my brother who wasn't using it anymore. Very happy with that setup.
Not ever going back to premade consumer stuff

*blocks your path*

>tfw all I want to do is make a SPARC-based *BSD router

Why do old Sun machines have to be so expensive?

>not enjoying setting up a network
I wish I had the money for a nice lab setup at home.

I need a new router because mine can't handle more than about 100-150mbps through my VPN.

Which i'd like to at least see up at 300-500mbps. But currently this would require a $4,000+ router. Or a custom built PFsense box.

> VPN
Which type? Ipsec, ovpn, something else?

That's quite some throughput. What kind of VPN are you using, IPsec or OpenVPN?
You might want an x86 box that does hardware AES, an APU2 would probably suffice

Single client, OpenVPN currently.

And yeah, x86 box with AES and PFsense was my first thought.

Sounds like a viable option. I'm not knowledgeable to recommend any HW options though :/

Yeah, it's more of a long term desire, i'm fine with 100-150mbps throughput for now, it wasn't an issue at all when I had 150mbps internet, but now that i have 1gbps, I want to be able to utilize more of my bandwidth.

What's the best wireless ap/router which actually runs DDWrt or OpenWRT, they're quite limited when it comes to wireless device support.

The WRT1900AC

Any chance of going on jewbay and buying some used equipment for it?

Or the WRT3200ACM

That was my other idea, just to pick up a used dell server or some shit, throw an extra NIC or two in if needed, and throw PFsense on it.

Still would be expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a true blue Cisco router or similar setup, those fuckers are charging like $2,000+ for a router/firewall that can handle over 500mbps VPN throughput.

Terrible line of routers

Meh, they're not bad. They aren't my favorite for sure though.

probably ok

hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-monster-ac5300-wireless-routers-face-asus-rt-ac5300-vs-netgear-nighthawk-x8/performance-conclusion-12

>2017
>not using pfsense

That said I just bought a new house and I don't think I'll be able to put my edge gear in the garage like it is now, so it's going to have to go in the house. My pfsense box is a fanless atom board in a 1u case, but the power supply provides the airflow and is loud as hell.

Should I try to make it silent or switch to a ubiquiti security gateway?

What throughput are you getting with the Atom box?

With QOS the USG only manages like 200mbps throughput.

With L2TP/PPTP throughput is only 25mbps

It does around 750mbs. I have a 300mbs connection so it's good enough for that. I do not have qos enabled. I have openvpn server running on it, but I've never tested the throughput on a fast connection.

well the USG would be fairly similar performance most likely. Maybe a bit faster.

But keep in mind, it's CPU is like 3 years old now, so it's nothing great for faster connections.

300mbps isn't SUPER fast, but fast enough I could see it being a bottleneck for certain situations.
It's going to depend what you do with your network however, it could be a perfectly viable option for you.

>50 Mbit Internet
>using 10 GbE
Why in gods name?

Will only have 150mb at new house. Unfortunately I'm going from fiber from a private telco within no caps to Comcast with cap, more expensive, less bandwidth.

yeah with 150mbps then you should be fine unless you want full throughput during VPN.

Because he's a retard who read a comment saying routers with wireless ap built in are garbage and now he thinks he's an expert and wasted a bunch of money on stuff he didn't need.

I like my Ubiquiti setup. Edgerouter X, Unifi Switch 8, and an AP AC Lite. Nice middle ground between enterprise and consumer. I don't know why that other guy is advocating for Cisco in a home environment. The only time I'd ever have Cisco shit in a home setup is in a CCNP lab or something. Fucking licensing nightmare.

Got a FortiGate 60E with a FortiAP

Range is insane on these things. Maxing out my 100/100 broadband connection.

useless for me, i tried them and at most I could get 80-120mbps from more than a room or two away.

Garbage for anyone on an actual fiber connection.

You're far better off with Ubiquiti access points.

Works for me. Like I said, maxing out my 100/100 broadband which is fiber optic.

>You're far better off with Ubiquiti access points.
Why would I have several different access points. Are you stuck in 2007?

>Why would I have several different access points. Are you stuck in 2007?

What the fuck do you think the orbi is?

All these meme mesh wifi systems are garbage if you have any decent amount of bandwidth.

For now you're dropping $600+ on high quality access points, or you're running ethernet to every computer in the house and your wifi devices be dammed.

>Using Cisco ever
Enjoy your government backdoors.

>What the fuck do you think the orbi is?
Mesh Wifi, so one access point split between multiple routers or satellites as Netgear calls them.

>All these meme mesh wifi systems are garbage if you have any decent amount of bandwidth.
How so? You haven't explained why. Can you even explain why?

>For now you're dropping $600+ on high quality access points, or you're running ethernet to every computer in the house and your wifi devices be dammed.
Or I spend $399 on a Netgear Orbi deal which includes an extra satellite, which I did, and get maximum speed from my ISP everywhere in my 2800sqft house. I only have one ethernet cable and that's for my NAS.

Is there any routers capable of running openvpn and shadowsocks at 90mbit?

>How so? You haven't explained why
Because they're 2x2 radio setups, so even in the BEST case scenario, you'll get ~850mbps. And that would never happen in a house environment, realistically you're looking at 300-500mbps maximum throughput in real world scenarios.

The first mesh system that uses 4x4 setups for the base station as well as the satellites might get my money. But until then, NONE of the current mesh systems on the market will get more than half of my bandwidth to a client device.

I'm far better off getting a Ubiquiti 4x4 access point or two and setting them up in my house than using ANY current mesh system on the market.

ITT: spergs sperging

Alright, fair enough. But our use cases are clearly different in that I move my devices all over my home and connecting to different access points is a thing of the past for me. Aside from my desktop of course which is in my office.

>connecting to different access points is a thing of the past for me.
Ehhh?

You know you can just set them to have the same SSID and then make sure they broadcast on different non-overlapping channels, your devices should switch seamlessly between access points without any user intervention.

One of these I purchased in 2012 with tri 9dbi antennas.ddwrt installed. Serves as a AP.

i have this router, the lack of features is annoying

i had a tplink archer c5 v2. thing would drop connection all the time. replaced it with a netgear r6400, no problems

my parents have a tplink archer c5 v2. drops connection all the time.

>I move my devices all over my home and connecting to different access points is a thing of the past for me.
lololol wait, so you bought a mesh wifi system because you're too retarded to properly configure your access points so they handoff connections seamlessly?

wew lad, what are you even doing on Sup Forums?

>not rocking one of these + AP AC Lite

plebs

>The Official Sup Forums Router
>Posts some shit router made in China that comes with a backdoor from factory and some shitty OS.

Why is this place so shit now? Years ago the official Sup Forums router would have been some Open-source hardware system board running OpenBSD instead of consumer bullshit.

>Friends don't let friends use commercial routers

Seconding this. Outscored Ubiquiti and all other consumer routers in raw throughput and range.

smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed

The only 2 worthwhile answers ITT.

Ubiquiti edge router is Sup Forums and basically nothing else unless you're making your own using juniper or anything else Linux based

>Outscored Ubiquiti
Correction, it out scored ubiquitis ONLY consumer product which is highly regarded as fairly low end.

Ubiquitis REAL access points would destry the orbi and others.

You'll just be spending $200+ per access point. But you'll get 3x the throughput.

my niggaz

install openwrt

Yep. I have one of the $300 APs to send wifi to a property 5 miles away on a different mountain. Works well

Why is ap AC lite so good? The pro one costing 3 times more with 3 bands instead of 2 puts out a weaker signal lol

how reliable is it? can't have my router crashing

Im using one of these backdoored chinese botnets with pfSense.

I have a fortigate on my edge running the full UTM suite.

100%

really I assumed every tp-link meme posted here was flashed with openwrt, I guess not

me too. we are Platinum partner and get decent small business models for free

what model and what AP are you using

Just flash project lede on it faggot

>router thread
okay, i have the classic blue box for wifi and run ethernet for desktop and console and its been what i've been doing for years, at what point do i have to/should i buy into the mesh routing meme?

>classic blue box
>wrt54g

Damn, I still have mine, too. I dont use it, but, I still have it.

I have a fortiwifi 60d, wifi disabled with a ubiqiti AP instead.

/ourguy/

I think I might've coined the phrase you used at the end.

Mikrotik RB2011UIAS-RM + hAP ac lite as wireless AP do the job for me just fine, zero issues and supports VLANs

Would buy Mikrotik again, RouterOS is pretty cool after you learn it

I'm using an old pc with two gigabit ethernet cards using pfsense which is connected to two bt hhs via a switch which act as wireless aps.

Am I missing something or is this a good setup?

Meant to type "terrific," autocorrect bungled it.

You seem to be confusing access points and routers faggot. Why would you use the same low power cpu and ram for 3 functions faggot, you want Enterprise grade which a router for routing, and an access point for wifi. Cheapest Enterprise like system are ubiquiti for Soho

>Why in gods name?
you do realize that some people actually use a network for more than downloading hentai?

>ubiquiti
Not enterprise class at all