DE thread

Lets talk DEs. I tried GNOME 3 for the first time on Saturday. 48 hours later and I still have no fucking clue what they were thinking. Below are my first impressions. Am I foolish or are these accurate?

1) The "Activities" menu is just plain silly. It takes a click just for me to be able to see what stuff I've got running at any given time and it takes me two clicks to open any new stuff or to switch between any two maximised things. I can do most of this shit in Windows with nothing but my fucking eyes.
2) You have to fight it to even get a desktop. Sure, you're not supposed to have a desktop in GNOME 3, but what's Linux if I can't customise it?
3) You need to right-click to minimise stuff. Even Windows is better than this.
4) Is GNOME intended for tablets or keyboard pros? I've already shown that it's not suitable for people who want to use a mouse (too many clicks), so who is it supposed to be for?

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-shell
wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gnome is literally bloatware meant to entrap normies
the menu bars for each window are wasting space on a cosmic scale
i dont understand why anyone would use gnome over mate or another reasonable floating window manager
i3 or bspwm are still the way to go

gnome has that sweet outofpocket functionality tho. i used debian and i3 on new macbook air and theres no wifi, no backlight, no brightness control...

absolutely, but it doesnt change the fact that its garbage normie b8

1)What is super key? What is alt-tab?
2)You want to customize? Go for KDE
3)What is workspaces?
4)It's intended for people who want to concentrate on the currently top application he is working and get their job done.

i just want to see someone defend gnome3.

L O L
>im too dumb to use network manager and xbacklight
>i3 is worse than gnome

If you're not going to use a tiling wm there's no reason to use anything other than Xfce.

i actually think i3 is better petformance-wise, but boy who wants to spend a day with lsmod

debian testing + openbox is the patrician choice op

great thing about linux is that you don't have to stick to one DE if you don't like it, just switch to another
still
> you don't like activities menu
disable it
>you like to get minimize/maximize icon in title bar
enable it in tweak tool

don't want to talk someone in something he doesn't want. search yourself andother DE you may like or don't. It's all about the choices

Gnome works just like i3 does, though.

I've tried GNOME, MATE, i3, Cinnamon and KDE. KDE is by far the best
>takes less time to configure everything to my liking
>works ootb
>never encountered a single error
>highly intuitive (especially for gaymer winfags)
>widely recognized and respected

Yes, GNOME is shit. It was made for fucking tablets because in that era that's what they thought was the future but they were too stupid to back out afterwards. They were trying to make one platform for all devices like Unity. It's awful and everyone who says it's "good" even admits you need extensions to make it usable

Gnome 2 was shit.
When Gnome 2 became a desktop, Gnome 3 was released.
Gnome 3 is shit.
Let's wait Gnome 5.

2) and 3) is invalid since gnome-tweak-tool is default on a gnome desktop for almost any distro, and allows to configure things easily.
4) is kindof true, they intend to keep it accessible trough keyboard (which is great because it speeds up the workflow if you use a keyboard), however if you use it with dash-to-dock i don't see how it's less suitable for mouse than unity.
It works for some people and doesn't for others ,but once they decided upon something and kept it that way for 6 years there is little hope of things changing.
To me it's 85-90% identical to unity, but uses more sane shortcuts so i don't have to change so much after install, and has really good vsync on nvidia proprietary drivers so i will stick with it.
I would move to cinnamon but i feel like its only supported on mint, and i am disappointed by KDE since 5.X came out.

you just took the history of KDE and changed it to gnome:
KDE3 became a desktop
KDE4 was released because muh gradients
when KDE4 became usable they release KDE5 because muh flatmeme
Lets wait for LXQT

>Lets wait for LXQT
We'll all be dead

That was the point of my post, well done.

How do you get xfce to look like that?

Official rankings 2017
#1. Cinnamon
#2. Gnome 2
#3. LXDE
#4. XFCE
#5. Plasma
#6. Gnomeshell
#7. GLXE

Cinnamon makes most sense but i cant stand using it for more than a day. It seems clunky, just like KDE. I would shill it for free though.

With themes.

>official
>source: your ass

xfce is deprecated and you can configure gnome to make it behave like xfce/windows

share your config?

its become pretty bloated now days

You dont need to click activities, you can just flick your mouse to the top left corner. And yeah the workflow is very difrent from windows but is not better or worse, just diferent. It is all a matter of preferance. Some people focus on mouse other on keyboard, some like floating windows other like tilling, some people like to have everything on one screen other want only what they are working on, and so on. Just use what you feel confortable with and let others do the same.

I used Oomox to create a custom Numix theme and my Xfwm theme (window decorations) is completely custom. I'm too lazy to upload anything sorry.

Meant for

For me it's xfce, the best desktop environment for GNU/Linux!

I use GNOME but want to switch to something lighter that also has good theming options and we'll supported.

I would do the WM meme but I have no idea how to set that shit up. I'm a babby who prefers GUI configs.

Copy pasting other configs off Google doesn't really teach me what I'm doing exactly.

why are people saying gnome-shell is bloated when you can remove almost everything out of it be left with basically libraries.
packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-shell
are libraries bloat? I remember people from arch raging that you need cheese, nautilus and bluetooth for the shell but thats just arch being arch.

did you even check the link you posted? gnome-shell as a million dependancies compared that a lightweight wm such as i3 or awesome

>comparin a DE with a WM
maggot go and eat shit

still has a million dependancies compared to XFCE or LXDE retard.

>gnome 3 not listed

>implying it should even be in the top 10

I suppose it's "Gnomeshell".

>im too lazy
you're just a jew who doesnt like sharing

>compared to a lighteight wm
my point was its not as bloated (as a DE) as people exaggerate. Especially since it has a working native compositor with vsync, which would just eliminate most WMs and DEs () if you were to compare them.
So yes i was talking about DEs.

>I'm too retarded to customize gnome to act like I want it to. Instead of figuring it out, I will bitch on an anonymous board about it.

>looks like absolute garbage no matter what

Whatever man. I told you what I used. This shit isn't rocket science.

>comparing modern DE to Xfce and LXabandonware
their code is so minimal that they cant make out (after how many years?) working vsync, polkit, instant file search and proper qt theming, no wonder its not "bloted".
Which always makes me wonder, why cant they achieve these simple things when they don't have to worry about clusterfuck spaghetti code like the bloated DEs?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>gnome looks ba-

gnome can look good but you certainly havent done it

Minimalism is lief

>799 packages
Cool facebook machine

Panel transparency doesn't look good with your busy wallpaper and your titlebar is too big and looks out of place. Also your terminal isn't wide enough so the screenfetch output wraps.

Overall this is not that great. Probably 3/10.

o i am laffin

At least modify twily's css enough that it doesn't look fucking broken as shit dude.

Fucking amateurs here.

it's not broken, faggot

>DE
Into the trash...
Real dudes use openbox.

>posted from 768p laptop
no wonder this fucker has no idea what high dpi scaling is

Stay mad.

This pretty much. We have Fedora Workstation in my uni lab and once you get used to flicking to the top right of the screen it's alright

Yeah it really is. Don't get so defensive. Just fucking fix it. Your Sup Forums theme also looks like shit and doesn't match.

your still making your own de, just an openboc based one. DE = WM + status/task bar + a suite of shitty programs

/thread

>I told you what I used
>my Xfwm theme (window decorations) is completely custom

>no hardware acceleration
>no modern feature at all
>requires weird outdated hacks to do anything outside of web browsing

kys

wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme

There you go homie. It's really easy. It's just made of tiny png images and a themerc file

nice wallpaper, but terrible theme

I can't eat that much rice.

Cinnamon is complete shit

Unity.

Not really

>24/7 lofi hiphop
Is it a live stream? I swear YT always recommends me that one on the front page.

I think Gnome is for tablets and 2-in-1 laptops.

xfce + compton reporting in o7

This desu, but only on my laptop. I really like the combined OS X stylee menu / top bar, it makes a noticeable difference to vertical space and I miss it when I don't have it.

Using 17.04 now, guess when 18.04 rolls around I'll ignore it or cross my fingers for a Unity spin. Too stupid to make one myself.

Nice titlebar lmao

just use tweaked gnome. by 2018-04 we will have all the required extensions

can you make the fucking clock smaller on KDE? it bugs me the fuck out how disgusting it looks with those huge fonts

You could put the date underneath it to make it smaller, but sadly there's no option for font size.

>kys
Underage go and stay go

It is. It's like a radio, it's always on and they have 1k+ songs there, I always listen to it when i'm to lazy to find new music.

holy shit, this is why i fed up with linux, such a small detail you cant change and can ruin the whole feeling

>implying you can't make the clock small as fuck

This is what my taskbar looks like so, not sure why you guys weren't able to customizing it.
Also using KDE, obviously.

Ive never used it, thats why im asking, because if you cant customize such small detail its a deal breaker for me. Did you need same special text file editing to make that happen or you could do that with az app like the gnome-tweak tool?

running fedora w/ gnome on wayland and its pretty comfy desu

After few years of running GNU/Linux as a desktop I came to a conclusion that you're wasting it's potential if youre not heavily customizing it.
Let's be honest, comparing windows outofthebox desktop experience to linux outofthebox desktop experience Windows wins hands down.

But with some elbow grease and time you can make it shine in the way that you just cannot do with Windows.
It's all preference anyways lol.

It was actually easy as fuck as you'd expect it from Windows normally. That's also the reason why I chose KDE because i'm a sucker for eyecandy shit and stuff that just works because I don't have the time to spend days on configuring shit like I used to a decade ago.

You do those settings in the "System settings" -> Fonts (I set the dpi to 75) then did some fine tuning with font sizes afterwards and also some other settings in "Application style", "Window management" etc.

Overall it's quite easy and completely GUI driven to set it up like I showed in the screenshot

didn't like it at first, then got really used to the hot corner. I find myself tryng to do it on windows and mac constantly.

>comparing windows outofthebox desktop experience to linux outofthebox desktop experience Windows wins hands down
I disagree.

>Let's be honest, comparing windows outofthebox desktop experience to linux outofthebox desktop experience Windows wins hands down.

Depends.
With 7? Yeah.
Everything after 7? Fuck no, Windows after 7 became the dumbest normie shitpile and I couldn't stand it out of the box, meanwhile Mint Mate or KDE were acceptable out of the box.

Alright you talked me into that, Im also a sucker for good looking stuff, a disgusting design is a deal breaker for me, afterall thats what im gonna watch every time I switch my pc on, it must look good.

Funny how few people in here are supporting Gnome. Is it really that bad?

You will definitely spend some time tinkering around with settings but it's definitely not a big configuration file nightmare, at least if you stick to premade themes and just edit them to your liking. there are some really nice themes already for the modern KDE (plasma) and I also came a little when I saw you can actually have that frosted glass transparency blur of w7 in KDE. The themes that make use of it are usually over the top but I'm looking forward making my own theme soon with SOME frosted glass here and there.

Mmmmmh, frosted glass...

Also, to make it clear, I didn't have to change any textfile to change font sizes, fonts, border or bar thicknesses etc so far.
All that deeper stuff usually happens when you really want to get into the deeper config shit. So yeah, the entry is quite pleasant in KDE.

>using stock gnome

A lot of Sup Forumsentoomen really prefer to stick to the proverbial "old iron".
Gnome is completely unorthodox when it comes to the concept of "desktop interface".
Their HIG was designed with ergonomics in mind and really focuses on utilizing both keyboard and mouse.
No study was done on the topic but I am 100% certain if you introduced a child that has never used a computer to both Gnome and an orthodox desktop like you get on Windows, Gnome3 would make more sense to them. But all of us used a traditional desktop for the last 20 years.

Gnome also happens to be a massive resource hog which doesn't help it's case. And it's closely tied to systemd which is a clear philosophically motivated argument against it.

nice, definitely gonna try it out

I just found out that Gimp is FINALLY somewhat useful when you actually choose the development version instead of the one that you can get in the software manager (2.9x instead of 2.8x).

It fucking finally feels kinda snappy and the icons aren't an eyesore anymore.
Only took them decades to get to a useful state meanwhile Krita took off like a madman in a span of like a couple months.

Whats the best distro for KDE plasma? kubuntu or linux mint or anything else?

KDE Neon i'd imagine

I'm quite a noob myself and this is my first KDE installation so I only know KDE in combination with Mint (Serena).
Can't say much about bloat since I use 16GB RAM but I don't doubt that there are more efficient DEs.
But since I have the RAM is just sit back and enjoy the ride.

There's nothing better than GNOME. Pic related.

yeah I would throw it to my laptop which also has 16GB so I dont give a fuck about bloat either, altough I give a fuck about uninstallable amazon tier shit like the ones ubuntu ships with his unity. other distros do this or is this just for the good goys?