Can Vim be used with layouts other than qwerty?

Can Vim be used with layouts other than qwerty?

Other urls found in this thread:

patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/main
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

use emacs

What are you thinking of?

Neo 2 keyboard layout?
Dvorak?
Colemak?

> Azerty master race reporting in
yes

I like this image

>azerty
>master race
Are you retarded?

I guess you could just map keys in .vimrc if you wanted them in the same physical location.

It's possible you'll get used to anything.
However as soon as you switch to qwerty you'll suddenly realize that all the default keybindings make much more sense.
Source: I was a German qwertz (ISO) user until 2012 or so, then switched to qwerty (ANSI)

TIL why my Thinkpad has y and z mixed up

Do they really? I wasn't under the impression vim keybindings were particularly ergonomic, rather they seem to be mostly arranged menmonically. As such I'd imagine changing up the physical location of the keys wouldn't change much.

either dovrak or colemak don't want to commit to one unless it works with vim

Not him but you're right. You shouldn't be learning VIM keys based on where they are, rather than the letter.

However the exception is the HJKL keys. Although possible to get used to them, they just make more sense of QWERTY. Colemak puts them in the same area but not on the same home row.

Can map them back, however most users don't do that, as you'll end up changing some core navigation keys.

If you're only typing in English, COLEMAK is generally the best. I've heard it lacks its edge when it comes to other languages though.

If you have something you've typed up, use this to see how better it is on a certain keyboard.
patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/main

Why would you buy a German thinkpad?

you can remap the keys to anything.

ps: use NEOVIM (Nvim) instead of Vim.

>Why would you buy a German thinkpad?
Because he wants Arabic keyboard.

Obviously not since he uses Azerty.

I strongly suggest that for every program you use that you rebind *all* hotkeys that change position from qwerty back to their original position (this is easeir in colemak than it is in dvorak) rather than trying to relearn hotkeys in colemak/dvorak, while the latter can be done it's far more effort in the long run and will severely impact your ability to function on a keyboard if you ever have go back to qwerty (i.e., somebody elses computer)

(and fwiw you might drop 20-30wpm for the first few hours/days if you ever have to go back to qwerty assuming you hit at least 80wpm in both qwerty and colemak/dvorak)

can't speak much as a vim user but I know someone that does who mentions that all of vim's hotkeys are built around hjkl for cursor movement, whether or not you want to use hjkl for cursors having a solid foundation is going to make a huge impact

as far as mnemonics go though a lot of them are going to have some consideration for ergonomics even if it isn't immediately obvious, in some cases trying to learn relearn hotkeys in dvorak where they're somewhat ergonomic in qwerty can lead to serious problems (ctrl-a,s,z,x,c,v ctrl-t,w,q, etc) where rebinding them on colemak/dvorak

Is Workman a meme? I really like the guy's ideas behind the layout, but it's not clear whether the result actually delivers something better than Colemak. The fact that basically nobody uses it doesn't help in finding accurate assessments of it.

Azerty is shite, but it's the standard here. And vim is usable with it, programming is just annoying because braces and parentheses are behind modifiers.

(OP) Do German keyboards have a similar layout to Arabic ones? my Arabic keyboard is just regular qwerty

germans are qwertz

Germans are now converting to Arabic.

kek
Went right over my head.