120Hz iPad Pro

Hahah... this thing has a faster refresh rate than 99% of PC monitors! LOL

>They can also dynamically adjust refresh rate based on what you're looking at. Which can save power.
>For a still image they can ratchet it all the way down to 24Hz.
>Refresh Rate also means it works better with Apple Pencil. 20ms latency.

This level of innovation is why Android tablets are doomed.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/8852/mediatek-demonstrates-120-hz-mobile-display
youtube.com/watch?v=EBR6PrjQTzQ&t=330s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Interesting.

Can't wait to see it on macbook too

Begone, Apple shill.

Sounds like botnet.

sounds neat but I have yet to see anything run at 120fps on an iPad. It still will be better than most android tablets and make itself look smoother thanks to that screen.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting it, so long as it isn't expensive as fuck.
I know it's more than likely going to be, but here's to hoping.

FUCKING
CLOCKWORK

dayum, brah, can't wait to fire up facebook on that thang, mmmh mmhhh.

A fast refresh panel sounds like a botnet?

Starting at $650
Honestly, you can't get a better hardware from any laptop on that price range.

>based on what you're looking at

Refresh screen 120hz TV do it but is useless.

Nice but how will you see the difference if nothing will be able to run at 120fps?

All those games in the store are either too demanding or do not support any framerate over 60 because that could break the physics(google skyrim physics fps glitch)

>font
Kill me

True, prob the "effective" rate with the backlight, that would be funny.

Mostly UI animations, scrolling and simple 2D apps.

You do realize that it is very much possible to code a game engine in a way that doesn't tie game physics to fps? (Google... I don't know, "game physics and fps")

Games probably won't run at a higher fps than currently, but the OS animations and browsing should be snappier

Oh you poor Hertzlet, he's never navigated a UI in over 60Hz.

Without root access to the UNIX system, it's just a useless piece of plastic for Instagram posting.

> Android still baretly into 60fps animations
> iOS on 120fps
BTFO

>back when ponyposting was allowed
good times

LAGDROID BTFO

>this thing has a faster refresh rate than 99% of PC monitors
Don't forget, it also has a HIGHER RESOLUTION than 99% of PC monitors!

Crazy.

>You do realize that it is very much possible to code a game engine in a way that doesn't tie game physics to fps? (Google... I don't know, "game physics and fps")
Yes i do realise they can run on higher framerates the problem is will the shitty developers behind "free 2 play" games bother with it
>Games probably won't run at a higher fps than currently, but the OS animations and browsing should be snappier
So, a pretty feature that is useless, more power demanding and battery draining?

Apple is shit but at least they are pushing 120hz, it actually makes a difference

That is a poor example because it's still retarded to have a resolution that high on a laptop. When the first 5k iMacs came out, Sup Forums was praising Apple.

Do you really need less battery life?

Not really useless. Have you even used a 120 / 144 Hz monitor? If that's your argument, why even bother going above 30 fps. As for its impact on battery life, that remains to be seen.

Cool, happy to see this. Clever to adjust it for still images too

This is actually fucking incredible. There is no mobile device with a screen that fucking good, wide color and SIX HUNDRED nits of brightness refreshing at 120Hz.

anandtech.com/show/8852/mediatek-demonstrates-120-hz-mobile-display

Sorry iToddler, Apple didn't innovate this time, just like every other time. Someone else did it before them, they claim it as their own and brag about "innovation"

Are Apple haters, dare I say it, BTFO?

it will work with the browser while scrolling

>Not really useless. Have you even used a 120 / 144 Hz monitor?
Yes it was quite nice but useless for anything that did not involve professional FPS gaming. plus you need a good gpu(if not gpus) to hadle most games at for example 1440p@144fps
> If that's your argument, why even bother going above 30 fps.
Unlike 60fps to 120fps,60 fps is a necessity for me because be eyes hurt with anything else
> As for its impact on battery life, that remains to be seen.
Physics dictates it will happen unless they use a bigger battery and/or a much much more efficient GPU

>shit announced at a show and never released
>thinking 'first' means anything
>thinking all manufacturers don't explore tech at the same time but differ in the time they deem the tech mature to release

Silly pajeet, don't you know how this works and why Apple always wins? Its about execution. A high refresh rate panel isn't even innovation, for anyone. Its just a high refresh rate panel.

wow amazing, where can I buy those mediatek displays?

>Do you really need less battery life?
10 hours is not enough?

Apple does dynamic screen updares. Static shit = low updates (24Hz) and Games = high refresh rate. Videos = 24/29/60Hz depending on the source.

It's awesome!

120hz is useless except for games....... you dont even have a mouse curser, the only other noicable thing that 120hz improves. Fucking meme technology.

yup I guess so. This also allows them to market the blur-free meme as hard as the display industry does with 60hz< displays

VR headsets use mobile phone displays that push over 90Hz.
It's actually useful if you have a pen and write on the screen, as any lag ruins the illusion of actually writing.
And I'm sure it's going to be 60Hz most of the time in order not to drain the battery, 60 is good enough for animations.

>Physics dictates it will happen unless they use a bigger battery and/or a much much more efficient GPU
Would you stop being so condescending. "Its impact on battery life" obviously means that at this point, we do not know how big the hit on battery life will be and if it is properly accounted for by a larger battery / more power efficient technology.

You also don't need to quote every single sentence.

No it's not especially when encoding 1080p anime from the sd card with subtitles on VLC with brightness at 60 to 70%

Battery goes down like crazy

> Nice but how will you see the difference if nothing will be able to run at 120fps?

Apple's mobile processors have been 1 full year ahead of the competition (Snapdragon) since the iPhone 6 in 2014. Say what you will about their products but their silicon team is no fucking joke. The new A10X chip will probably take 120Hz without breaking a sweat.

> So, a pretty feature that is useless, more power demanding and battery draining?

They have variable refresh rates now (which isn't a first in a consumer product like they say, there's at least FreeSync / G-Sync) which means they can render at 24Hz or 120Hz depending on the displayed content. If 120Hz consumes significantly more battery, 24Hz will consume significantly less.

That's a neat application of the technology; I don't think any of the laptop companies pushing G-Sync in their gaming laptops has thought about doing this for battery life. (Not sure if they even can since they don't control the full stack)

Response times for touch based feedback from the device matters more if you care about smoothness in smartphone/tablets. So having 120 Hz won't matter to much other than for gaming

finally apple changes industry standards in a good way

Who cares, it still runs with iOS.

Apple continues its trend of putting great screens on horribly gimped hardware.

Niiice.
Though, why 20ms latency with the pen? Isn't that too high?

Intel was talking about this for a while for laptops + memory on the TCON for passive refresh, but they it takes a vertically integrated company (or one with the pull) of Apple to pull this off.

AUO has dynamic displays for the purpose of low power youtube.com/watch?v=EBR6PrjQTzQ&t=330s

>A10X
>gimped

How is Apple able to do this and get 10 hours of time?!??!!

>A10X
>gimped

Show me a more powerful processor in a tablet or phone. I'll fucking wait, you clueless retard.

iOS 11 actually seems pretty cool, they finally added things like a proper file browser and dock and things like that. I'm almost tempted to get the new 10 inch iPad Pro instead of the Samsung Chromebook Pro with Linux that I'm thinking about getting since I'm going to college this fall, especially with the Affinity Photo app they announced since I'm a photographer, and iOS will have much better stylus support than what I'll be able to get on Linux.

I have a beefy desktop at home so I don't need a Windows laptop or Macbook on the go, but I'm still annoyed that the iPad relies on the cloud for everything and you can't even do something as basic as hook up a USB stick to it, even if you have a USB OTG adapter.

Why the fuck does mobile trash get all the attention?

You, can't be serious, right? This person isn't actually this dumb is he lads?

>iPad has 120hz refresh rate and 2k resolution
>movies are still 24hz and 1080p

When it the rest of the world going to catch up already?

>The CPU is the only hardware it has
They finally added file browsing to it but the ipad is still toy tier with the lightning connector.

t. Mouthbreathing appledrone

>file browsing
>hardware

millions upon millions of users.

The hardware is bound to the software since nothing else runs on it.

Use Plex or Handbrake to transcode to something your iPad can play natively you goof. Your battery tanks in that situation because VLC is using the CPU to decode the video, which as it turns out, is incredibly inefficient.

I have marathonned shows with natively encoded video on 12h international flights on my iPad Pro and always have plenty of charge left over after landing. It's good quality shit too; not quite 10-bit 1GB per episode sort of quality, but much much better than HorribleSubs/CR quality and more than good enough for viewing on a fucking tablet.

lol, nice weasel words

Have you seen 48fps movies?
They look like shit.

Nice rebuttal.

It is possible a code things to scale with refresh rate, however the issue is that also takes more processing power. When you're very limited in processing power and have a unified ecosystem that up to this point did not have 120 Hz why in the fuck would you bother coding for 120 Hz if it's gonna make the game or application run worse?

We see a lot of games come to the PC as consul ports are limited to 30 FPS or 60 FPS, not because the engine can do higher frames but because everything's coded to only work at 60 at most. It might not be hard to alleviate that bottleneck but it still actual work people have to do what on an ecosystem where they don't fucking want to.

you think I am going to waste my time rebutting your relativist definitions

As for draining the battery, there's 2 things that do that. One of which is having a stupidly high resolution, as that demands more power to render what should be a very simple to the object, though hardware is gone to the point where the power that it takes to render at higher resolutions almost within margin of error it's still more power.

And then a higher refresh rate, it's the reason why e-readers can go weeks without being charged even on small as fuck batteries you get the screen set up once every couple of seconds to minutes and it's good to go indefinitely. This would allow the iPad to go from 60 Hz down to 24 Hz, and with future iterations possibly even lower I don't think anyone's ever really done a test that goes from 120 Hz to 60 and 30 in their power draw but I can easily imagine the hardware scaling back to only needing to display 24 frames a second would not only decrease power use but also the monitor refreshing would decrease power use, it's really hard to spin the set of bad thing.

The only real complaint that you can have from this is that they didn't get a panel that can run an even lower refresh rate.

You didn't even remotely respond to the point. You could have just not replied but you deliberately replied with some random shit and made yourself look even worse. Recognize when the winning, or at least salvaging move, is not to play. Jesus fuck, the IQ level of this board must be dropping by around 3 every year.

Show me a more powerful non-x86 mobile CPU, or just don't even respond.

You want to know how I know you've never use the high refresh rate monitor, I have a 144 and a 60 Hz right next to each other, if I drag-and-drop something on the 144 Hz it's smooth but if I take that file and move it over to the 60 Hz it feels like it's a stuttering mess anymore. Literally every fucking aspect of your computer becomes better the higher the refresh rate is.

To run a screen at 120 Hz need to have a GPU that's running at 120 Hz and you need to have the CPU able to feed the GPU, that demands power
Same thing for 60 Hz but to a lesser degree
now imagine your browsing the web, you scroll down and it's going at 120 Hz, then you stop scrolling it scales back to 24, and now it's using less power.

Now let's go over to YouTube, you play a video and now it's playing at 30 frames a 2nd your monitor decides I don't need to be running at 60 or 120 frames I'm going to run at 30, that is a lot of potential power that's being saved there granted relatively small and probably a sub 20% increase but it's a power savings that benefits you overall.

Have you seen 60fps interpolated anime? Aside from the random artifacts, they look amazing. Also there is no excuse for any CGI movie to be less than 60fps.

Battery drain also largely depends on third-party developers. Bad developers will constantly be requesting unneeded UI relayouts and unneeded repaints, sometimes to *the entire screen*. Apple has done things to try to mitigate this, having control of the whole stack, but in the end there's limits and devs just have to be good.

So if you're having battery issues with your iOS device, take a good look at the apps you're using. Generally speaking, the more native the UI the app is, the more likely it is to be efficiently written. Web wrapper apps are notorious offenders, but there are also some apps that just use a totally custom UI stack instead of UIKit and absolutely none of them are as efficient as UIKit.

– full time iOS app dev

The Hobbit was half an CGI movie and it was unwatchable in 48fps.

I never said that the CPU was bad, I said the overall hardware was functionally gimped, which includes the toy operating system that you're forced to run on it. Things like not having cursor support or needing a dongle to output video are ridiculous limitations for a product that's supposed to provide laptop functionality.
>non-x86
And that's one of the primary reasons.

Stop being autistic, you know exactly what I mean when I say CGI movie.

And I'm saying it's a nonsensical distinction.

agreed, high FPS might have more information than low FPS but stylistically low FPS is preferable in film
But computers/vidya should have high framerates

This is actually great. About two years ago I bought a 144hz monitor and I've been spoiled since. I bought a cheap android phone that had a 30hz refresh rate and it literally made sick. The feeling of nausea I got was the result of the slow feedback of the screen. I returned it and got one for double the price with a 60hz refresh rate, and the experience was much more usable. If apple makes an iPhone with a 120hz screen I'll definitely switch from android. The iPad tho is a pretty shit idea and I'm not interested in one.

Why not just sell your 144Hz monitor instead and
get used to the low framerate again?

>why not gouge out your eyes and live under an overpass

It's not a non-nonsensical distinction, you dumb cunt, do you play video games at 24fps?

>Why not just sell your color LCD monitor instead and get used to black and white CRTs again?

games and movies are different things

CGI movies are basically video games that are 100% cutscenes.

I have a low framerate monitor and I'm completely fine with it. They way you guys talk about 144Hz makes not want buy a monitor with high refresh rate ever.

Nobody gives a shit about the FPS in cutscenes.

Apple does something good for a change.

Now I'll just grab a good Android phone 2 or 3 months down the line with a 120Hz, since I don't want a toy OS.

Return to whatever shithole you came from.

Says the Sup Forumstard.

Sir please the needful delete

You're a stupid 3rd worlder with a shitty toaster that can barely maintain 30fps in games and who doesn't understand the difference between a film with CGI effects and a CGI movie.

I'm pretty sure 120Hz is cpu clock speed op

>iPad

Its absolutly amazing, but if you don't have a good graphics card for it then don't bother. Its nice how much they've come down in price. I bought an acer 144hz monitor last year for $200, and that was considered cheap. Now days they sell closer to 120 bucks

stay mad pajeet

who is the target group for this astonishingly useless feature

Sup

By that "logic", shouldn't you pity me instead of being so angry?

normal people. 60hz is too low for daily use. It wasn't acceptable back in 1999, and it isn't acceptable today.

People who play mobile games and like buttery smooth UI animations.

I'd pity you if you admitted your ignorance and tried to improve yourself instead of wearing it like a badge of honor.