linux is a kernel and macOS doesn't use it
macOS is unix, something that even linux isn't
also macOS is free

\thread

>he is paying for use linux
ESL's need to leave.

Yes.

That's why they are Macfags.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

MacOS is not unix, it is UNIX certified. Unix is an OS. And some Linux distros are certified as well.

You simply have no idea what you're talking about.

Dump that folder faggot

>macOS is not Unix
>Linux is not Unix
At what point can we stop with the 'unix-like' or 'unix-certified' bullshit? They're both implementations of Unix. Unix has been a fragmented mess since the 80s, with dozens of different implementations available.

Tell you what, when someone can explain to me why being certified is a good metric for OS quality, I'll shut up about it. Macfags love to brag about their rubber stamp like it means anything.

macOS does not use the linux kernel, it took just about everything from BSD way back when.

macOS (formally mac OS X) kernel is based in the Carnegie Mellon University Mach OS which is derived from BSD UNIX... so there's that.

>3 levels of indirection
Holy shit, how is this something to brag about? Thankfully Linux was made from scratch instead of being based on an OS made for telephone stations or whatever.

>crap hobbyist OS made by neckbeards in their mom's basement vs OS made by an actual company and designers for professionals
yeah tough choice...

user, the entire Internet runs on Linux, as well as every single critical system and every Top 500 supercomputer. Do you have a single argument outside generic "n-neckbeard" insults? Do you know of any critical system running macOS?

doesn't matter, it's absolute garbage as a desktop OS and the delusional retards who fell for the meme trying to deny that with "b-but servers use linux!" are no better than the "I'm such a nerd xd" poster you see on social media

How is it shit as a desktop OS? You haven't provided a single argument, just "it's bad because it's bad". Also what OS are you talking about? You know Linux is a kernel, right?

ahh and here come the autistic semantics
linux refers to the OS. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it, being pedantic over it just makes you seem like a sperg

I'm not being a dick, but if you're saying "Linux is shit" what OS in particular are you talking about? Do you think it's fair to install Manjeia and then say all of Linux sucks?
Specifically if you're comparing macOS to Linux, why would you compare one OS to every single distro as a whole?

they're all shit, linux (I'm not autistic so "linux" refers to all distributions) is shit

>He cares this much about what operating system other people use
>He throws autistic shit fits when someone has a different opinion then him
Can anyone explain the correlation between mental illness and technology?

>they're all shit
Substantiate your claim. They all have a system-wide package manager, which macOS doesn't, for example. They don't require giving out your home address to install free software, which macOS does.
>I'm not autistic so "linux" refers to all distributions
I do the same, but it's stupid to compare ONE OS to ALL DISTROS. Sorry you couldn't understand this.

we're done here, I can already tell you suffer from at least one social disorder and this isn't going anywhere
don't bother replying, I won't read it

It works great as a desktop system. I have used it on my laptops for years. Every time I buy a laptop I replace the Windows with Linux. What did you fail to do with it? List some actual examples and not >muh feelings.

If you tell me that you tried to run some Windows-only program and some parts of it didn't work as well as in Windows then you should just stop using computers. It's already a feat to get a totally different platform's programs running at all, especially if the program's developer isn't helping to do that.

I appreciate what you're doing, but you should stop, there is no reason to try to reason with this absolute mongoloid. You make valid arguments while he just spews memes like a ten year old. He's either a retard or he is just baiting you at this point.

>any opinion I don't like is a meme

>4 posts later, not a single argument
>Conveniently walks away
Better luck next time, friend.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

>he doesn't pay for his OS
amazon.com/Ubuntu-15-10-4-discs-Installation-Reference/dp/B0047B0U1C

I didn't brag about shit, that original poster was objectively wrong, but BSD isn't shit, so I'll take your strawman as evidence to your lack of knowledge with regards to this topic.

>BSD isn't shit
stopped reading there

edgy. Great counter argument. Much wow.

>amazon.com/Ubuntu-15-10-4-discs-Installation-Reference/dp/B0047B0U1C

download and burn free iso man

Uh actually my point remains. "Based on... Which derives from..." Is very far from "it's Unix".

go back to r/The_Donald you canuck moron

At no point did I EVER claim it was presently like UNIX, even if it is certified as such. I never made that argument, that's another user.

But it literally derived from BSD UNIX, which is just a fact. I made no mention as to how it is more or less UNIX like macOS is compared to anything else out today.

Then what are you mad about? I know it derives from BSD, so what?

I JUST LIKE BEING ANGRY

and honestly? I'm addicted to video games, so I'm just trying to justify my imac purchase. Like a dumbfuck (I program for a living, but when I get home I go straight to games)

> sorry user-kun

It's ok user =)

macOS (unix-based != unix)
>HAS packages management with macports/brew
>easiest program installation/uninstallation process of any OS in the market (drag and drop)
>has one of the best browsers (Safari) exclusive to it's platform
>powerful tools built-in in the OS such as disk utility, time machine, automator et cetera

GNU/Linux (unix-based)
>pretty much no 3rd party support
>programs will often require you to compile them
>almost every DE/WM is shit and the ones that aren't can't compare to Aqua + Quartz

Linux has great file managers I will give you that.

>unix-based != unix
it's literally unix certified, which is more than you can say for linux

MacOS has no system-wide package manager, just the App Store (which isn't a package manager, it can't even uninstall a package) and brew to install cli stuff and constantly conflicts with XCode.
Disk utility sucks, I don't even know why it exists. It has failed to format drives to HFS and is unable to mount any external drive I have formatted to encrypted HFS.

What does "no 3rd party support" mean? Hardware? It supports a lot more than macOS.
The second point is completely false, name one program I have to compile from source to use in Ubuntu or Fedora.
What's wrong with the DE's?

Your posts are just misinformation and opinions.

False, some distros are UNIX certified. Also can you explain to me why that's relevant?

RHEL masterrace. Poorfag gtfo.

it isn't really, just correcting him