Programming as a job sucks ass

Programming as a job sucks ass.

>KEEP LEARNING NEW LANGUAGES
>KEEP LEARNING LIBRARIES AND TECHNOLOGIES
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT USING HIPSTER.JS YOUR SKILLS ARE OBSOLETE
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WRITE OPEN SOURCE FOR FUN???
You will spend your free time performing non-stop job training and you will be EXPECTED to enjoy it.
And for good measure, you're also expected to like programming so much that you do it for free on the weekends and publish your source code for free on the internet for companies to steal.

Can you name any other industry where you have to like it so much that you do it in your spare time or else your skills become obsolete and you become unemployable in the span of 6 months?
Defend this.

>Can you name any other industry where you have to like it so much that you do it in your spare time or else your skills become obsolete and you become unemployable in the span of 6 months?
Literally any of them that pay over $40k a year.

IT, medical fields, pharmocology, professional cuisine, civil engineering, hydrology, ANYTHING revolving around chemical engineering or physical sciences, the entire automotive industry, carpentry, on and on and fucking on.

Anything that isn't just "show up and do vaguely unskilled labor" requires you to constantly learn new skills and details about the trade.

>medical fields, pharmocology, professional cuisine, civil engineering, hydrology, ANYTHING revolving around chemical engineering or physical sciences, the entire automotive industry, carpentry

You know, the last thing anyone wants to do when they get home is do more of the same work they did all day.

You don't need to do any of that shit if you're working for the right company/team. Just get a new job

Then stick to your McJob, faggot.

>Not publishing under GPL v3
Its like you want to be cucked

oh that's great, let me just copy your GPL code into our proprietary code base
good luck proving it fagtron

I'll trade you your shitty programming job for my unemployed job. I just want to get started and find out how bad it is for myself

>spend most of my career actively avoiding pure-coding jobs
>actively avoid anything related to webdev
>do sysadmin gigs for over 7 years
>contractor, full time, part time, whatever
>learn a shitload about infrastructure, networking, security, anything really
>get a job at Amazon
>ohboy.gif
>biggest cloud infrastructure provider
>I'm gonna learn so much about large scale and hosting
>this is gonna be great
>doing React+Redux webdev now

Kill me, kill me now.

>working at Amazon

Does Jeff Bezos actually use a cat o' nine tails to motivate employees or is that just a metaphor

lmfao

Same thing here, I'm really don't want to do coding only. That's why I'm studying really low level CS, and electronics.

> Have an internship
> Really cool subject
> They also want me to do python

He does, he travels between all the Amazon offices in the world throughout the whole year in his private jet, and comes in to beat the shit everyone with his personalized whip.

It really does help with motivation.

I know, right?

No, but seriously, they pay well and the team I work in is really great, and I'm learning a lot in general.

I do hate having to do some webdev, but trually that's maybe 1/3rd of my work. I actually have effect on the company as a whole.

As an example, during the last major S3 event some months ago there was a leak of the event summary on twitter.

That summary was done using the software I built, that was my 5 minutes of fame.

It's all downhill form here.

Python is fine, you can use it for pretty much anything, just try to avoid webdev.

>you will be EXPECTED to enjoy it
>you're also expected to like programming so much that you do it for free on the weekends
is this bait? why the hell would you not enjoy it? if you're in it just for the money then get out of my board and don't foget to kill yourself on the way
thanks,
bill

>want to participate in our hackaton over the weekend? XD

>not making connections and friends in other companies so you can get "poached" from your shitty job and upgrade your career

>he hates programming
>he got a job programming

wow kill yourself

yay anime

>Working in webdev
Dumbass. There's a reason why pajeets have web on lockdown. It's braindead work that just requires you to keep adding libraries until the project looks okay on the surface.

Learn C/C++/C#/Java and nail your fundamentals down. Learn how to solve problems using both object oriented and functional designs. Research architecture and design like crazy. Learn why MVC is useful. Learn to love SQL because it comes in handy a lot. Learn how to write secure services, and give a shit about security in general.

Enjoy your 2x+ webdev pay and actually interesting work.

There's a reason why you don't turn your hobbies into a job, they become a fucking job and you no longer like doing them in your free time.

Just off the top of my head doctors for one.
Lawyers
teachers
artists

There's a lot of other jobs where you're expected to do them in your free time but you're also paid to do them in your free time to.

>Searching Source Files for the Solution to your Problem.

It would be much more faster to just write it yourself.

>tfw the security of specialized jobs that require FORTRAN and COBOL

Same, except I'm stuck at a shitty walmart.
I would really like to know how to get a job like this

>artists

yeah try being a graphic designer, or a designer without studying constantly about the latest design trends

The world is always changing

>Anime
Go to hell.