Who here practices "proper" typing? Pic related

Who here practices "proper" typing? Pic related.

I only use my index, middle and ring fingers in my left hand, and index and middle fingers in my right hand. To type the required letter I use whatever finger is closest to the key at the moment. I usually get between 100 and 105 WPM in those tests but I make a fuck ton of mistakes. Is it worth learning proper typing or should I focus on improving my own technique?

Post your technique and WPM.

Other urls found in this thread:

keybr.com/practice
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it'll actually slow you down, just mash at the keyboard like an autist.

tfw only able to use two fingers and a bit support of others.

But still writing normal fast and error free without looking.

I type in properly, so far that I only use my left thumb for space bar, and left pinky for shift.

keybr.com/practice

Learn here anons.

I barely use my pinkies; they're dead to me. Actually, I only use them for ctrl and shift, maybe.

I learned to type by calling people on minecraft faggot ass niggers and you should do the same

Growing up we had typing class but I couldn't learn the numbers and it has stuck with me. Going for a number is like passing a hail mary, I just pick a finger and guess the button.

I used to type with index fingers with the middle finger on the right(? I think?) hand, used to get around 80-100wpm (but upwards of 110wpm if I wasn't making typos, I frequently made typos)

I spent a week learning to touchtype properly, the first few hours I was down to about 30wpm, the second day I was 50-60wpm, the third day I was back up to 80wpm with some occasional stalls when I had to remember when muscle memory failed me, all in all it took about a week before I was as good as I was

a month on and I still somewhat suck with numbers/symbols/programming keys and my overall wpm hasn't increased noticeably but I basically stopped actually putting some conscious effort into learning/practicing once I was back up to around 80wpm

I fully recommend switching even if my anecdotal results aren't great, proper muscle memory takes months/years to develop and if other peoples anecdotes in learning dvorak/colemak are anything to go by fully learning a new layout (or relearning) can take a month with consistent daily practice to upwards of 3-6 months of casual use to get as fast or faster as where they were with qwerty (assuming they typed at 100+wpm to begin with and weren't 30wpm hunter peckers) - relearning to touchtype qwerty might only take a few weeks if you're ridiculously slow and you'll have a somewhat better typing experience out of it

as far as what to use, tipp10 is nice but any program that gradually introduces you to typing on the home row then to expanded characters gradually (which should only take a few hours to completely memorise any kb layout) will do, colemak has some great learning resources which can be adapted to qwerty (but things like tipp10 and other programs are suited for qwerty), basically just get a proper typing tutoring program

(and fwiw I type some words ridiculously faster now and long "correct horse battery stable" type diceware passwords take half the time they did)

thx for that it helps really fast.

Reminder: Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing in DOSBox still works.

I type pretty fast without glancing at the keyboard using seven fingers.

Not used:
>left pinky finger
>right ring finger
>right thumb

I took typing classes when I was in grade school, but it never really stuck. I didn't get fast at touch typing until college when I had to bang out weekly essays and other shit and didn't want to waste too much time on boring bullshit. I never really paid much attention to my technique until just now when I took a typing test and realized exactly which fingers I use and don't use.

It always throws me off when people don't type "correctly". The school system has obviously failed you.

You should give zero fucks about typing speed when coding. You will always spend more time thinking than typing.
Besides any good IDE nowadays has auto-completion.

>"proper typing"
if you can't throw your hands on a keyboard and immediately type, you don't know what you're doing. trying to relearn everything based on the home row is going to fuck you up.

here

If I start typing anything, I need to look at where the first letter I intend to type is, regardless of what letter it is, and then I don't have to glance at the keyboard again. I've never used the home keys.

>always thought that I was a fast typer
>mfw 45wpm
>redo test, still 45
I keep trying again and again but I'm not getting any better
Am I forever cursed with sloth fingers

When my hands are resting on the keyboard my left pinky rests on lshift, left ring finger on A, left middle finger on W, left index finger on D. My right index finger rests on J, right middle finger on K, right ring finger on ; and right pinky on rshift. I rest my left thumb directly on the spacebar but my right thumb hovers around there too and i use them interchangeably when typing. Standard UK ISO keyboard layout.

Also this, I have never needed to type at my fastest when writing code unless I'm just copying something I've written before from memory.

Also, sometimes my right middle finger rests on L. There's not really much consistency there, the fingers on my right hand just end up wherever they land in that general area.

>resting every fucking finger on a key
Don't you find yourself typing a lot of shit on accident? I'm the exact opposite. Generally, when my fingers are resting, NONE are touching the keyboard. When I do rest a finger on a keyboard, I'm liable to accidentally press a key, triggering a hotkey if I'm on Sup Forums, or screwing up in other situations.

By resting I mean when I'm about to use the keyboard. If I'm not typing or about to type then my hands aren't on the keyboard. I don't really have a problem with accidentally hitting keys though, I'm much more likely to accidentally hit a mouse button. I'm a complete tard when it comes to my mouse, always clicking/right clicking on shit.

I do for the most part, although I prefer to use the tenkey for numbers and I usually don't use my pinky fingers when I use the numbers above the keyboard. Also, I never use the right shift.

Wait a minute... are you telling me that if I want to type a capital letter q, a, or z, I need to press shift with my right pinky? Fuck that. The only time I press shift with my right pinky is when I type a question mark.