Why don't PC's have a locked EFI like Macs do?

Why don't PC's have a locked EFI like Macs do?

Other urls found in this thread:

uefi.org/specifications
ghostlyhaks.com/blog/blog/hacking/18-apple-efi-bypass
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would you want that

That's like asking why would you want to wear a chastity belt.

That's exactly what I'm asking.

Yes. Why?

Why wouldn't you want it?

Are you some kind of toxic male, heteronormative, cisgendered scum?

why wouldn't you not want to not do that?

Are you?

T-that's irrelevant.

Because you should lock it yourself you idiot. A company locking it for you means you have no control over it.

>He's white
Abandun the tread nigguz

What in the BIOS do you really need to change? You neckbeard.

Read the manual, look at the settings. I'm not doing it for you. Get to work.

You're a control freak. Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.
Do you ever just use the thing?
No. You have to keep demonstrating your control.
Seek help.

Why don't all motherboards support Coreboot? Why do they restrict the platform with the literal botnet that is UEFI?

mac's uefi is just as locked as pc efi

>You're a control freak. Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.
>Do you ever just use the thing?
>No. You have to keep demonstrating your control.
>Seek help.

You are sick. Move out of your moms basement and stop tweaking your computer with LGBT LED lights.

>locked EFI like Macs
Locked in what way?

>You are sick. Move out of your moms basement and stop tweaking your computer with LGBT LED lights.

Yeah I guess reading is too much for you isn't it. Sorry I asked too much from you but maybe 8yo shouldn't be posting on Sup Forums.

Can you change the CPU's frequency or voltage?

>tries to fix his own computer
>I can't let you do that Dave

Apple in a nutshell

You can change them from the OS or with a custom EFI. The stock EFI doesn't expose an interface for it, but that's hardly "locked"

>Not letting you do something doesn't mean it's locked
Ok kiddo. Moving along, can you change the boot order? I mean that's the very least I can expect from a EFI. Or disable devices like the webcam, microphone?

>maybe 8yo shouldn't be posting on Sup Forums.

Have you visited Sup Forums or Sup Forums or Sup Forums it's literally a bunch of 13 year old autists such as yourself.

> U r le autism xD
Amazing comeback.

>intel cuck detected

>I'm going to pretend that means what I want it to mean
Not having a feature available by default is not "locked"
That's like saying Windows has locked down photo editing capabilities because it doesn't come preinstalled with photoshop

There is nothing preventing you from doing any of these things if you install the software to do it. By default, the only purpose of Apple's EFI is to boot into the OS or a recovery environment.

>Maybe if I argue semantics
Pick whatever word you want, it doesn't let you things that other EFI's do. I really don't care if you call it locked or something else.
>But if you use a different EFI
Is this a joke? So in order to do basic shit that any other EFI lets me do like change the boot order I need to flash a different firmware? And you even pretend like flashing a firmware is "installing software" like it's just pressing a button right? Totally not something that can brick your motherboard and void your warranty.

Do you two seriously have nothing better to do?

I love how they say macs don't need any fiddling or hassle, but then pretend stuff like this doesn't exist.
>I-it's not locked down, it just doesn't have any features

user, Photoshop isn't part of an OS's spec. Changing the boot order and disabling devices are part of the EFI spec, it's a core functionality, so if it's not there it is indeed locked.

>Changing the boot order and disabling devices are part of the EFI spec
Can you link me to this EFI spec that you totally didn't just make up?

Absolutely, user:
uefi.org/specifications
Always glad to help a macfag educate himself on things he has no clue about.

Why would you want a locked BIOS in any way?
I have read through this thread and found no info.
I can't imagine why you would want it.

There are no reasons, this thread is just a bunch of people pretending like having less features is somehow better.
Also BIOS and EFI are different things. They're both firmware, but they're not interchangeable.

First of all, UEFI is not the same thing as EFI

The UEFI specification does not require conforming implementations to offer interfaces for disabling devices

Also, Apple is part the UEFI board. They helped write that specification.

Anyway, nobody is saying not having these things provided by default is a good thing, but it does not mean Apple's EFI is "locked". Apple's EFI provides the ability to load arbitrary modules, as basically all EFI implementations do, that can do whatever you want. You are not prevented from doing any of these things (and an interface to do them all is provided in the OS)

1. Don't use the word PC to refer to a computer that isn't a Mac. A Mac is a PC. Always has been, always will be.

2. It's called Secure Boot. It's there as an option, and is typically used by default. There's also Legacy Boot if you need it.

>And you even pretend like flashing a firmware is "installing software" like it's just pressing a button right? Totally not something that can brick your motherboard and void your warranty.

1. Don't flash firmware in the middle of a thunderstorm
2. Fuck warranties.

>The UEFI specification does not require conforming implementations to offer interfaces for disabling devices
Did you conveniently forget the part about the boot order?
>Also, Apple is part the UEFI board. They helped write that specification.
Yes I know, and? How does that change anything I've said?
>Anyway, nobody is saying not having these things provided by default is a good thing, but it does not mean Apple's EFI is "locked".
It most certainly does, but I don't want to keep arguing semantics because you'll just keep hiding behind it.
>Apple's EFI provides the ability to load arbitrary modules, as basically all EFI implementations do, that can do whatever you want. You are not prevented from doing any of these things (and an interface to do them all is provided in the OS)
It's more of a hassle than on any other computer though. And again, does loading these modules involve flashing and voiding my warranty or did you also conveniently forget that part as well?

Oh, look at that, you DID conveniently forget the part where you need to void your warranty and potentially brick your device in order to do basic things.

Totally not locked, guys!qq

ghostlyhaks.com/blog/blog/hacking/18-apple-efi-bypass

I need help someone knows how to track a cell phone is extremely important, this thief not only has my cell phone but other important things

The {literally every other brand except for apple} does not have this problem.

>Did you conveniently forget the part about the boot order?
Apple's EFI provides an interface for changing the boot order. I never said it lacks that.
>It most certainly does, but I don't want to keep arguing
It doesn't, but good to know you don't have an argument
>It's more of a hassle than on any other computer though
Loading an EFI module in Apple's EFI can be as simple as dropping a bundle in the correct directory of the primary boot device as long as it uses a supported file system.
>does loading these modules involve flashing and voiding my warranty
No
>did you also conveniently forget that part
No

>Oh, look at that, you DID conveniently forget the part where you need to void your warranty and potentially brick your device in order to do basic things.
Except you don't. The post you responded to doesn't say anything about Macs needing flashing to load EFI modules. Learn some basic reading comprehension

>It doesn't, but good to know you don't have an argument
It's your claim that it doesn't equal locked, I explained why it did, you pretended not to read it. You're the one with no argument (no, "hurr it's like Photoshop" isn't an argument).
>Loading an EFI module in Apple's EFI can be as simple as dropping a bundle in the correct directory of the primary boot device as long as it uses a supported file system.
And that's a fuckton more work than EVERY other computer where does things come installed. Wasn't Apple supposed to be easier? Why do I have to do more work to get the same features then?
>No
Proof please? That it can't brick the motherboard and won't void the warranty.
>Except you don't. The post you responded to doesn't say anything about Macs needing flashing to load EFI modules.
Neither does my post, user. I responded directly to that post's content: bricking and warranty voiding. Maybe you're the one who needs to work on their reading.

>It's your claim that it doesn't equal locked, I explained why it did
And I explained why your explanation was wrong.
>you pretended not to read it.
No, I didn't.
>You're the one with no argument (no, "hurr it's like Photoshop" isn't an argument).
Good to know that you get to arbitrarily decide that things you don't like don't count as arguments as long as you preface them with "hurr"

>Wasn't Apple supposed to be easier?
It's much easier to use the utilities provided in the OS for these things than it is to use any EFI interface. You're the one who wants to complicate things by doing them in the EFI for no reason

>Proof please? That it can't brick the motherboard and won't void the warranty.
You want me to prove that something can't happen? The absurdity of that aside, I've used EFI modules on a macbook and they worked fine. Invalid ones just fail to load and don't break anything.

>Neither does my post
>does loading these modules involve flashing and voiding my warranty or did you also conveniently forget that part as well?
>Oh, look at that, you DID conveniently forget
How do you expect to have a discussion if you can't even remember or comprehend the things you've said minutes ago?

I'd love to keep destroying whatever retarded anti-apple-fanboy arguments you come up with next, but I'm going to bed. Feel free to spout some nonsense and then claim victory

>Good to know that you get to arbitrarily decide that things you don't like don't count as arguments as long as you preface them with "hurr"
Actually, by definition analogies are not arguments. You don't get to magically entail a conclusion by adding "it's like" at the beginning of some stupid anedocte.
>It's much easier to use the utilities provided in the OS for these things than it is to use any EFI interface. You're the one who wants to complicate things by doing them in the EFI for no reason
Why do I need to have an OS installed to change these things? Also you're telling me you can disable devices at EFI level from inside macOS? I really need some proof.
>You want me to prove that something can't happen?
If you claim something can't happen, as you did, then you need to be able to prove it. If you can't prove it, then maybe don't claim it. Or are people supposed to risk their warranty and 2k$ laptop on you assuring them it's fine? Just post a link to a tutorial or repository for these modules, I googled and nothing conclusive came up. I'm sure that if it does void the warranty or brick the mobo there will be a warning, so I'll accept the absence of one as evidence.
>I'd love to keep destroying whatever retarded anti-apple-fanboy arguments you come up with next, but I'm going to bed. Feel free to spout some nonsense and then claim victory
Running away with zero proof for his claims, as expected. Goodnight user.