Thinking of dumping some FreeBSD/OpenBSD zero-day exploits

Just LPEs with next to no market value, but after seeing the hysteria over the "vulnerability" in Windows atom tables, I'm thinking it might be a good way to get some publicity and force people to take a look at information that's being largely ignored, especially if I just dump the exploits without notifying the vendors. (One or two may apply to NetBSD, though I haven't bothered to confirm.)

What would be a good way of generating a spergout over the release? Which popular tech journalists/bloggers would pick it up? I already plan to email The Register and Ars Technica.

What kind of exploits.

Just local root exploits.

pls deliver OP

So no remote exploits?

No local ones either, OP's pulling this out of his ass.

Not the ones I'm thinking of dumping, no.

Spot the BSD developer fishing for info.

I'm not a BSD dev, I just don't believe OP.

What would make you believe the OP? INB4 "telling me what the vulnerabilities are."

So I'm just supposed to take some random guy's word on it? Nah.

IMO best option is to notify vendors and wait for response before contacting any news outlets

What happened with the atom tablets?

Openbsd has no remote exploits, or so I have been told.

no one ever said this

they even claim that they had at least two at some point

Will these work for Mac?

Well, not that this is the foundation of an exploit, but speaking of random, maybe it's about time that FreeBSD developers fix /etc/rc.d/random to restore the secure permissions on /entropy

save_dev_random()
{
+ oumask=`umask`
+ umask 077
for f ; do
if :>>"$f" ; then
debug "saving entropy to $f"
dd if=/dev/random of="$f" bs=4096 count=1 2>/dev/null
fi
done
+ umask ${oumask}
}

Keep doubting. The spergout is going to be hilarious.

Dump everything now and the developers can fix it.

I don't use BSD but I think BSD being secure would be good.

trueos doesn't have this problem

Even some debian developers use mac osx. If you don't mind proprietary software mac osx is actually good.

looks like GNU propaganda, move along and ignore it.

looks like BSD bullshit, again

stop pretending like nothing is wrong with BSD motherfucker

I'm not pretending like nothing is wrong with BSD, I'm saying that everything is wrong with this picture. It's obvious GNU propaganda.

I know a bunch of people who run a BSD daily, even NetBSD ffs, and with "modern software" like firefox or chromium which aren't much but are still tanks.

Just read what's in the picture a bit. It's starting with some license war, saying that the BSD licensed alternative to GPL software sucks, which it most definitely doesn't (look at llvm, look at openssh, look at libressl, look at libedit)
Then it says that BSD projects can't run modern applications that weren't made in the 90's, which is flat out wrong, FreeBSD has plasma 5, while NetBSD and OpenBSD have qt5 working, they all have modern compilers, chromium, firefox, etc.
Then they attack the developers themselves saying that they don't use their OS, which they most definitely do.
Then they talk about how BSD is a monolithic kernel, when NetBSD can be officially used as a microkernel while linux still is a monolithic mess.
Then they tell lies about how you have to reboot your computer if a driver crashes on BSD but not on linux, this simply depends on which driver, whether it's a module, etc.

Yes, things are wrong with BSD, they lack some support because they lack manpower and keeping the GPL out while keeping modern support is a huge task because of Linux, but everything is wrong with the article in the image and nothing in there should be taken seriously.

can you play tekken 7 in wine on bsd*?

bullshit, you rush to accuse everything is propaganda and defend BSD at all cost

Taunt them on their mailing lists.

Eh, I don't have any animus toward BSD or its developers. It's just that FreeBSD and OpenBSD local exploits are the only things I have that (a) have extremely low market value; (b) might still be newsworthy enough for my main goal of drawing attention to something totally unrelated to BSD.

>has no remote exploits
They has. Also failed to find openssl exploit and gone full autism with libressl.

do it.

if you found stuff others have or will and youre better off forcing people to patch it quickly instead of it being drawn out and exploited for a decade from alphabet agencies or sold on the black market and kept secret to exploit

maybe this will force openbsd to actually adopt jails

>they even claim that they had at least two at some point
the one would have been prevented, but theo decided to hold off on a couple things for -RELEASE. if he hadn't hesitated the exploit would have been ineffective.

>openssl
was never an openbsd project

>gone full autism with libressl

what?

>I have these secrets
>>no you don't
>How can I make your beleive me, and don't say reveal the secrets
>>>>>>>>

FreeBSD devs use OSX*

OpenBSD devs all use OpenBSD on their laptops.

>local
You'd be lucky if Goodwill let you drop this trash off

Last time I notified FreeBSD about vulnerabilities, they were very receptive and professional, but it was many months before fixes were available. That's no good for my immediate goal of drawing attention to some information.

What do you think about Phoronix? I feel like the readers of that would make a big stink about it. Obviously HN too.

Why don't you just bug report...

ehh
this is true