/wt/ Watch Thread

/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newfags:
youtube.com/watch?v=_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IGUboLZx3Tk?t=2m54s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can anyone identify the watch in this video:

youtu.be/IGUboLZx3Tk?t=2m54s

2m 54s timestamp

Starting to really consider getting the moon watch.

>beater Vostok stopped winding
>at least still clicked at first, now nothing
Is it fucked boyos? Paid $50 for the thing. Didn't even last a year. I dropped it a couple days beforehand but it seemed fine.

Guys, i just found a guy selling vintage omegas in my area, There's a Seamaster and a Seamaster Deville that caught my eyes.
Gonna dump pics from the guy, can you faggots see if they're real or fake for me? thanks

Honesty I hate the Grand Seiko font. Why would you use that fuck ugly gothic font for a Japanese watch? It's worse than Orient's beer logo.

Might as well used Comic Sans or pic and it wouldn't be that much worse.

Forgot to mention, The dials for both of them have already being service and clean.

I just ordered my first watch ever... Orient Mako ii blue dial... did I goofed?

it's a good watch

How much are they selling for? Also i fucking love those watches...

quartz

About 520$ for each

Why not use some based cursive instead of
SEIKO

GRAND SEIKO

That is a fucking buy m8

What is a good watch that looks exactly like this?
Quartz is fine.

Or just use the standard Seiko font now that they only put Grand Seiko on the dial.

Does anyone have any inspo on a seagull 1963 on leather?

who gives a shit.. why would you ever buy a grand seiko? You would have to ignore Rolex, Omega, Tudor, IWC, JLC, PP, AP, Cartier, Universal, Breitling, Longines, Montblanc... etc

The problem is i can't device between two of them, i always want a hand wound omega but the dial on the Deville doesn't sing to me as much as the Seamaster, trying to find information about the Cal.563 to see if it can be hand wound.

Grand Seikos are really good!

Luuuuume

not for the money they aren't. The manual wind movement is pretty cool but the only good gs is the classic recreation and at that price you are talking patek money.. I personally like the patek calatrava more than the grand seiko.

Half the brands you listed are fucking jokes

God speed

you are a fucking joke

I'm not the one saying he'd pass up a grand seiko for an omega or a fucking breitling of all things.

daily reminder that you're all a bunch of autists screeching about "muh craftsmanship" as you wear this gaudy trash in public

>t.apple watch

Looks completely generic with that font.

You're right, I was going for that Christopher Ward look.

I did not specifically say that. I essentially was attempting to convey that one of those brands would have a better watch at any price than seiko. And I would absolutely buy an Omega over a gs.

Grand seiko movement quality and finishing is absolutely superb

D-did you just c-compare Grand S-Seiko with Ch. Ward??
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUEEUEUEEEEE!!!

Grand Seikos have Patek/JLC levels of finish, excellent movements and sell for less than a generic Omega branded Swatch.

no

would you?

The dial guilloche is pretty neat. Everything else looks kinda meh to be honest.

no

That looks like a cheap copy of a good-looking watch. The ideas are all there, but the execution screams "I couldn't afford an actually good watch".

>Glitter sparkles PVA'd onto the dial
No.

The thing that confuses me the most about this chink shit is how they don't understand something so basic. If they didn't put their Chinese name on the dial and use a simple flat color dial the watch would be wroth twice as much.

>old Vostok
>new gaskets
>pass at 5atm
>pass at 1atm
>fail at 0.5atm
Well I guess I found the flaw of the compressor case design.

just get rid of that m8 get yourself a nice snk013k or 007

when have you last dived in water that was at 0.5bar

It's China so I always assume there's a smelly uncle who has the right to have a say in the design because he lent your father some money fifteen years ago.

>you can only have one diver
Okay kid.

It means it will fail near surface, stupid.

Srsly nu/wt/ is killing us.

no you can have as many divers as you wont but a scratched leaky over sized vostok should probably not be one of them.

Actually, Grand Seikos have better movement dial case and bracelet finishing than entry level Pateks.

Just look at that anglage compared to the anglage comparison pic that gets posted here.

Thanks for telling me, Mr. Expert.

Just look at the finishing here. It's absurd on a "production" watch.

spring drive is not acceptable.. and yes they have good finishing but the overall package is still not as desirable as a Patek. Patek just has better design. You can try to convince everyone you want but the world as a whole does not agree with you and that is why the pricing is the way it is.

you are welcome faggot

>wt in a nutshell

Patek might give a shit for a minute repeater, but the same can't be said for their recent entry level watches.

What watch is that photo even from they put most of the microrotor 240s under glass with magnifiers in it... they polish it pretty fucking well.

Did you know that the pressure you experience at the surface is 1 bar? Not 0.5? Now you do.

If he tested it in a pressure chamber it didn't pull a vacuum.. it means the watch would fail at sea level.

>Spring drive
No one was discussing movement types. You tried to assert that Grand Seiko's finishing was not at least on par with entry level Pateks. A comparison of to and pic related show that you are objectively wrong.

I am also entirely uninterested in your subjective opinions about Patek, Grand Seiko, or literally anything else.

Did you know in pressure testers you measure pressure difference, not absolute pressure?

>compressor pumps air into chamber
>pressure somehow now half of what you started with
Proof that God exists.

Now fuck off stupid. Swap a NATO or something, kiddo.

Then it's not 0.5 bar, but 1.5. It's not that hard, come on.

eternal reminder

You called?

right so it would fail below that hence it would fail at sea level. The original poster who actually tested the watch was correct

>I have autism
What did I just say? It measures pressure difference, dumbfuck!
>Hey guys, did you hear? Some dipshit sperg on the internet said the entire pressure gauge industry was doing everything wrong in the past century! Quick, retool all the production lines!

Don't. It's an oversized bastardized re-issue of the original.

Because that's what was used on the first Grand Seiko in the 1960s, and for the sake of tradition they should never change it.

>not for the money they aren't. The manual wind movement is pretty cool but the only good gs is the classic recreation and at that price you are talking patek money.. I personally like the patek calatrava more than the grand seiko

>You tried to assert that Grand Seiko's finishing was not at least on par with entry level Pateks

really did i? where was this?
are you talking about the no when you said

>Grand Seikos have Patek/JLC levels of finish, excellent movements and sell for less than a generic Omega branded Swatch.

someone saying no to that is not the same is arguing about patek vs seiko finishing. Everything you said in that statement besides the thing about finishing was nonsense. Its also not just my opinion its the general consensus of everyone on earth which is how the market has decided which brand is more valuable.

I would go for this one, and $520 is a very good price for that model in that condition.

Beats me as to which watch that specific 240 was put in. Here's another I managed to find. Turns out real close macro shots that really show off the anglage up close are harder to find than you'd think. You can see some striping going on in the white reflection of the bevel (where the one balance wheel beam is).

Welcome to /wt where someone is actually trying to argue about Seiko being better than Patel Philippe. I honestly can't tell if you are shitposting or a retarded Japanese man.

pretty embarrassing desu

a bit rude m8

>>Grand Seikos have Patek/JLC levels of finish, excellent movements and sell for less than a generic Omega branded Swatch.
>someone saying no to that is not the same is arguing about patek vs seiko finishing.

Oh, so you said no but weren't disagreeing with Grand Seiko having comparable finishing to entry level Pateks, and weren't disagreeing Grand Seiko's having excellent movements, and weren't disagreeing with Grand Seiko's being available for prices comparable to Omega models?

Yes. That makes sense.

No i don't like their movements and you said omega branded swatch which is a bit much. You are simply going too far.

>higher prices mean better watches
LMAO
M
A
O

A majority of what you are paying for is the (((brand name))). This is especially true with Patek, but also with a lot of Swiss watches. Prices are the way they are because of those fucks who want a watch because 'muh history' and 'muh brand recognition' instead of the finishing or technical strength of the watch. History is cool and all, but it is completely wrong to assert that higher market value means a better physical product. Sure it might have higher social value, but that depends on what circles you are in.

Did the moonwalkers wear a citizen or a Bulova?

which is it?

No its because I along with most other people would rather wear this

over this

Those two vintage Omega's that kicked off the thread are nicer than pretty much any current grand seiko you can actually even buy

Not to mention i don't want to spend 10k on a fucking mechanical watch for it to have this inside

It wasn't even me who made that post, I only chimed in because you started flapping your lips without knowing the avalanche of QC complaints about entry level Patek models in the last couple of years (ESPECIALLY their steel models) while Grand Seiko finishes their mechanical and spring drive models to entry level haute horlogerie standards.

Grand Seiko also objectively makes some of the best time/date only movements in the world. They literally invested in a hilariously expensive MEMS machine to manufacture their hollow balance wheels to micrometer precision, and hand inspect, polish, assemble, adjust and regulate every component of every movement.

These facts remain true regardless of whether you subjectively like them, or whether anyone else does either.

>mechanical

That's not entirely true either. It depends on which brands you are talking about.

There simply isn't any real way to make watches to haute horlogerie standards at the relatively small volumes they are made without using enormous amounts of hand labour which is extremely expensive.

Your claims tend to be much more true of the production Swiss makers like the brands owned by the Swatch group which are slapping fairly generic mass produced movements into inexpensively made cases and using marketing to huckster normies (e.g. Panerai, IWC).

where are my lips flipping?

Is there anything to keep in mind if I want to import a vostok into the EU?

You realize you aren't disagreeing with him yes? His entire contention is that people are willing to pay more for Patek's because of brand image and marketing rather than any objective technical or finishing superiority.

Saying you subjectively prefer the Patek doesn't disagree with his assertion at all. I happen to disagree with him though since their pricing relative to the objective technical and finishing quality of their entry level watches wasn't that bad until the last couple of years when they rapidly doubled production.

Prior to this, entry level Pateks were finished to similar standards to entry level ALS models, which is what you SHOULD be getting at that pricepoint.

Are there any microbrands that make square / rectangular watches?

I only know of ALF, but they do not really suit my taste.

brew

Okay user, but why do you want to buy it?
Also, nice render.

Yeah, those are pretty nice. Comparing vintage and modern watches is pretty silly though. I don't know enough about vintage Seikos, but the Lord Marvel 36000s or vintage GS/KS are comparable. Tell me when Swatch Omega makes something decent.

I guess if by 'mechanical' you mean 'doesn't have a battery.' If you don't want Spring Drive, don't buy it.
>disliking technological innovation

Definitely. I was talking about the bulk of Swiss watches. Even out of those made by hand, it comes back to the finishing comparison. (Grand) Seiko does better for less in that regard. Going back to comparison pic (), some of those are clearly more worth it than others. Even in the wider-view pictures of Patek movements(, ) you can make out the shoddy beveling.

Do they make grand seiko dive watches

their dress watches look generic and pretentious to me

Yes. 2big4me though.

Seiko put the tapisserie dial on a normal sized watch pls.

My assertion is that the polish on a movement is not the only important thing about the watch and that the total package provided by Patek is worth more money. It is not just marketing. The object as a whole is more desirable because of its design and aesthetics. Just because you arbitrarily say the seiko movement is not objectively worse than the patek one then the watch is not objectively worse is pretty ridiculous. A Toyota Camry engine works really well and the car drives really well from point a to point be and is really fuel efficient. Saying the aesthetics of a Ferrari are better than the aesthetics of a Camry is subjective and it doesn't make the Ferrari the nicer or more desirable car. see how that doesn't really hold up. There are differences between the brands.