RIP IN PIECES 32BIT

RIP IN PIECES 32BIT

Why do bodyweight apps, calendars or twitter need 64bit?

>mactoddlers

cause apple said so, get with it mf

>REST IN PEACE IN PIECES

it's not quite that simple
you can't use 64bit libraries with 32bit programs, this means you need 32bit versions of libraries to support 32bit programs on an otherwise 64bit system
removing support for 32bit programs means they can cut out a ton of 32bit libraries

what'd be cool is if x32 ABI saw more usage, since there's really not a lot of things that really need more than a 32bit address space
but it has a similar "not that simple" problem, you need x32 ABI libraries to use x32 ABI programs

Removing support for 32bit is a mistake.

Sure, the majority of big applications use 64bit now or have 64bit variants available, but there are so many applications that are still 32bit or a no longer maintained so will never have a 64bit release.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to keep 32bit support in. Space isn't an issue. They're just trying to be leaders in something.

IP -> RIP

Just keep around an old machine. Problem solved,

Quads of truth.

Apple are always changing stupid shit and making things inconvenient to be trendy

Its why no one but hipsters like them

Goodbye convertbot. Best iOS app forever, but never has been updated.

>They're just trying to be leaders in something.
except pure 64bit has been an option with linux since 64bit support was added

it's even possible to remove 32bit/WoW64 support from windows, though it's not really an official option

>literally deleting system32

-- oh, and before you say "but that'll break everything"
for windows, yea, tons of stuff is still 32bit

but on linux hardly anything is 32bit-only
in fact, the only reason i don't do pure 64bit is because i want to run 32bit windows programs in wine, funnily enough

... come to think of it, this will fuck over osx users who want to run 32bit windows software in wine, as well

almost, system32 in 64bit windows is where 64bit libraries go (because legacy reasons)
32bit libraries go in syswow64 (yes really)

>except pure 64bit has been an option with linux since 64bit support was added
Yeah, but no one seriously uses Linux.

no one seriously uses mac os, either
there's more linux users than mac os users if you count everything
and if you're only counting desktops, while linux is pretty insignificant at ~2%, macos is only ~12% itself, which also isn't really very significant

A lot more people use Mac OS seriously than Linux.
>while linux is pretty insignificant at ~2%, macos is only ~12% itself, which also isn't really very significant
We are talking hundreds of millions of desktops (or desktop OS at least, so laptops included) so a 10% difference is 6x the amount. If Linux is 20 million then macOS is 120 million.
That is significant. You can't really claim otherwise.

the difference between linux and macos desktop usage is significant, yes, but i'm saying they're insignificant compared to windows desktop usage, which account for most of the rest of the total

I now need two machines to do something that should be supported by default

-- also, it's not completely fair to count only desktop in "serious usage"
are servers not serious usage? because linux is used on servers quite often

ARM64 STRONK!

That wouldn't be fair because Apple dropped Server support.

>military
>medical
>educational
>scientific
>private industry (nasa)
>indexing and databases for economics
>mobile
>routers
>vehicles

hmm

Don't worry mate, you know what you're talking about so neo-Sup Forums won't bother responding. They just want to complain.

Apple does it again.
How can other companies even compete?
Linuxfags and Winblowstards left in the 32bit mud lmao

life isnt fair child

it wouldn't make sense to compare server usage, since apple doesn't do servers anymore, but i'm not sure it would count as unfair to include servers for serious linux usage, just because osx doesn't target that area anymore

>BEING THIS NEW

linux has used 64bit for decades?

microsoft still uses its 32bit compatibility layer for the majority of games on steam

then again apple doesnt even get new steam games lol

gnu/linux/khronos/valve alliance btfo all

LOL tard you don't get it do you? Windows is hybrd 32/64 just like Linsucks, ... Mac will be only pure 64 bit OS. Get rekt LINKEK gamerfag... back to Sup Forums with you

Dont some 64bit applications still depend on 32 bit support to function?

kek, nice one

sorry bub

linux and even windows is a better OS if you cant even handle servers lol

android phones(linux kernel 3.11-4.4) alone account for more use world wide

buttblasted winbabby detected

with what graphical api?

metal?

lol BTFO VULKAN AMD FREESYNC WAYLAND UBERMENSCH

WRECKED!

>MUH SOLDERED HDD
>MUH SOLDERED MEMORY
>MUH SOLDERED CPU
>MUH SOLDERED GPU

nice job getting kiked for consumer grade hardware that is overpriced

also the way linux is built its not a negitive that linux is multi arch like it is with windows

linux is flexible and modular

mac os will be the first of the 3 to remove the choice of having a 32/64bit system, yes

apple is pretty good as garnering praise for removing features

But why? 32 bit is 100% compatible with 64bit, and a lot of stuff doesnt benefit at all by using 64bit over 32bit.

This is one of those rare situations where apple is actually right about something. Things like rejection of flash, etc.
It's something that fucking winbabbys would complain about, because they don't know anything.

No. I'm pretty sure mixing 32bit code and 64bit code is not possible.

>what is the 2038 problem

>calls me a winbaby without even reading my comment that hints multiple times that im using linux

i was attacking windows saying it used 32bits in steam games idiot

>No. I'm pretty sure mixing 32bit code and 64bit code is not possible.
it's not, but it is possible for them to communicate via other interfaces, such as sockets

a solvable one
for example, x32 ABI uses 64bit time

>linux has used 64bit for decades?
Having it available and removing support for 32bit are two different things.

>this

its exactly what the multiarch libary does in linux to allow cross architecture communication layers
(entirely optional obviously)

IPC is not a trivial thing to do properly, and is just a waste of time if "keeping compatibility" is all you're trying to accomplish.

There aren't enough advantages for most distributions to justify supporting x32. Most people really just don't care.

>>what is the 2038 problem
A problem for 21 years in the future.
Generally solved just by having the OS 64bit, which it already is.

>ride pennyfarthing to town
>can just leave unlocked because no nigger is going to be able to ride it away

Who gives a fuck. Apple is targeted to stupid consumers, who will buy new hardware anyway.

>But why? 2.5mm jack is 100% compatible with all headphones, and a lot of stuff doesnt benefit at all by using wireless over cabled audio
Because we're Apple and because fuck you.

Buy our dongles. (Soon: buy our 32-bit emulator.)

exactly.

youre talking about a distro maintainers job idiot

the kernel is just a bunch of modules you choose to include in your distro

theres plenty of distros who are dropping 32 bit btw

some are specialized in that though for older hardware

its entirely your choice

>then again apple doesnt even get new steam games lol
On the other hand... Didn't the keynote just advertise how lots of Steam stuff is being brought to the mac? Or was it just VR?

A nigger doesn't need to ride the bike to steal it.

It's not the same as a car.

>32-bit emulator
lmao, this could actually happen

>There aren't enough advantages for most distributions to justify supporting x32. Most people really just don't care.
that's the thing

while it's true that x32 ABI has every advantage of 64bit, except for the >4G address space, which most programs don't use
and that many things can run faster using it than even 64bit
... actually implementing it is a lot of work, as from a packaging standpoint it's effectively a completely new architecture

>Things like rejection of flash
Flash was understandable since it's an unoptimized piece of shit that would've bogged down the battery performance. There is literally no downside to keeping 32-bit functionality.

it'll be classic environment all over again

do you understand how developing games work?

they program toward a api that they target

seeing as apple tried to ditch directx12 and vulk to start metal they are left in the dust

i wouldnt wait around for VR either because the cost to enter is too much for consumers at the moment and its horrible with cord management (batteries and wifi would be too heavy and run out fast)

motion sickness is another issue and getting a gpu that can process 4k x2 120hz whilst not melting your face

lastly there isnt any games which is what sells a platform

AR is the true rising technology that will be targeted in multiple markets beside entertainment

Breaking compatibility for no reason is progress.

there will always be 32 bit dedicated distros like puppy or similar to DSL

also reactos/androidx86/freedos

>reddit spacing
post hidden

it wouldn't really make sense
at best they might offer 32bit support as an installable option, but that'd just bring the system back to how it is now

we're not talking about plain 32bit, look up "x32 ABI" in a search engine

>but there are so many applications that are still 32bit or a no longer maintained so will never have a 64bit release.
Those are probably already broken though.

>steve jobs detected
you know im right

also pic related should be your real hero you sellout cucks

THANK YOU BASED APPLE

my mistake
carry on

>Neo-Sup Forums the post
Sup Forums why do you even bother posting here?

DELEED DIS ZTAHLMENSCH!

I have been posting here off and on for about 11 years.

Don't get me wrong. I use Linux. It's on my server. I barely touch it, because I don't have to. It's on my Orange Pis which I just mess around with. I use Windows on my Desktop and Laptop, because I want something that's actually useful.

if linux wasn't useful, why is it on your server and orange pi's?

>m-muh windows muster race i love botnet

neo Sup Forums as fuck

I didn't say it wasn't useful, I said no one seriously uses it.

I don't consider using Linux on an SBC as using it seriously.

You are.

Seems kinda pointless. Lot of applications are gonna rewire rewrites when they really don't benefit from being 64 bit.

Man apple is such a joke now. I can't wait until we get a touch screen keyboard because it's the future keyboards are obsolete.

>I can't wait until we get a touch screen keyboard because it's the future keyboards are obsolete.
You're probably going to be waiting since Apple just released a new keyboard and it surprisingly has no touchscreen.

>Jobs was a sociopath from day one

No surprise there, he was a subhuman through and through.

Shit nigga, AVs don't even support 64 bit viruses yet

A problem that was patched out of most 32bit OSes, as the time clock now uses 64bit UNIX clock time. It IS possible for a 32bit system to read a 64bit number, it just does it slower.

>"windows is the most heavily used OS for computers"
>the most widely used OS is Android
>Android is linux

You forgot that everyone uses phones, Sup Forums. Linux is technically the most heavily used system right now, both on server, and as a personal computer. Because smartphones are a personal computer.

Anyone else hates the word "app"? I don't know why but it makes my hand tingle and clench into a fist automatically.

> >Jobs was a sociopath from day one
> he was a subhuman through and through.
So, he would fit here nicely.

app app app app app app app APP
> N-no, o-nii-chan, stop, my hand t-tingles, I feel... Funny...

"Ditch directx12" No, that is windows only, they would not be allowed to support it even if they wanted.
Vulkan came after Metal, (Mantle came first, i know).
All 3 are 'pretty' low level tho.
No games on mac? Most new and bigger games support it, the only reason mine is only at ~50% is that i own a lot of older/indie games, and linux is at under 33% for me.
Games is only a part of what sells a platform, fuck off to Sup Forums please.

When are we gonna get 128bit?

This is pretty good actually. On rare occasions I have to use proprietary software to achieve something, and then I have to recompile half of my system to support 32 bit only because those monkeys neither chose to open source their shit, nor make it 64 bit despite that only requiring a quick recompile in most cases. Maybe if Applel forces 64 bit, pajeets will listen and upgrade their software to it on all platforms.

>BEING THIS RETARD

>without compromises

People are talking like 32-bit apps are going away when that clearly isn't even implied.

Well, rewrite it yourself.

>find old popular unsupported app
>rewrite it with modern tech
>
>profit

32bit app support is bloat on 64bit platforms.

So this means less support for apple, right? Like, people that works with 32 bit programs are going to avoid this version?

HAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAAH

>people who work with 32 bit program
implying
also your grammar is retarded

macOS has been running exclusively on x86-64 systems since 2011.

It shouldn't take more than 6 years for someone to move their software to 64-bit.

Basically this. I hate applel as much as the next neckbeard but at least pretend you can read, anons.

its so lazy programmers can make programs that use more than 4gb ram.

They already can, idiot, they've been able to since 64-bit support was added.

Honestly at this point I would have expected High Sierra to already remove support for 32 bit. Shit, what's the last apple computer that doesn't have a 64 bit processor?