Bleeding edge thechnology

I love Rust because it is fast, secure and most importantly it has no garbage collector. Using such technology seems unnecessary because most of the time is spent on network transfer and database lookup. Furthermore the state of frameworks is not stable and keeps changing. Rocket for example is rather new and seem to be maintained by on single benevolent dictator and requires nightly so it won't work by using the package manager on most servers such as debian stable and ubuntu lts. Iron and Nickel seem to be unmaintained. So developing web apps for Rust seems like chasing a metamorphic rabbit. Advices?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines
github.com/tildeio/helix
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_frameworks#C.2B.2B
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Until it is standardized, Rust will always be a meme.

C++14 is also fast and it will get you a job

Do I get segfaults and exploits on my web apps?

not if you use unique_ptr and std::move

That. I also hope a web framework also gets standardized.

you've gotta be doing something horribly wrong if you're still getting segfaults in the new C++

Perfect. Coincidently the web app I wrote is in C and I was planning in rewriting it in Rust. I wrote a template engine that I'm planning to publish on github. So maybe I should just update it to the new standard. Thanks.

check out github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines

>the web app I wrote is in C

How I'm doing it so far: I'm using the very classic XDR protocol available in libc for IPC. The database is a process using LMDB. I just dump the memory to the database on another process and I use my template engine that compiles the template. I'm also using CGI. Benchmarks show it is unbelievably fast. Now it's gonna be secure. I'm excited.

redditor nub

...because null pointer exceptions due to stolen unique_ptr's is so much better.

>Using such technology seems unnecessary because most of the time is spent on network transfer and database lookup.
Unnecessary for you maybe. Not all programs are I/O bound, or even engage in network transfer/database lookup at all. If you were using Rust to say, develop a Photoshop clone, most of your time would be spend applying image transformations.

>Furthermore the state of frameworks is not stable and keeps changing.
That is the nature of languages and technologies that are new. Use something more established if you want stability.

>So developing web apps for Rust seems like chasing a metamorphic rabbit
Why are you trying to use a systems language for web development?

>do I fit in yet gaiz xd

...because panics due to unwrapping an empty option or error result is so much better.

>That is the nature of languages and technologies that are new. Use something more established if you want stability.
See >Why are you trying to use a systems language for web development?
systems language and other types of languages seem to start overlapping nowadays. systems languages used to be fast and secure while web languages were the opposite.

>systems language and other types of languages seem to start overlapping nowadays. systems languages used to be fast and secure while web languages were the opposite.

...and writing an entire software stack in one single language is so much better. Best than slower node.js

This. C++1x features just add runtime checks, they don't give you any static guarentees against runtime errors.

Libraries frequently return null pointers that you have to check for without specifying it, and C++ programmers often end up doing quick hacks to circumvent the problem instead of fixing it.

You don't need a standard if you've only got one compiler.

haskell has ghc but it is standardzed

Well it started as a committee and it used to have several implementations back in the 90s/early 2000s. Even so, modern Haskell is nothing like Haskell 98/2010.

I'd love to use Rust, but I'm a heterosexual white male. I don't want to take any of those countless Rust programming jobs away from proud strong Womyn of Color.

I create jobs, not take them you gay shit

>So developing web apps for Rust seems like chasing a metamorphic rabbit. Advices?
Don't even bother, use fucking Ruby or something and then go for Rust when you actually need native performance (which will likely only be a few small portions of your code as most web shit is i/o bound)

Shit like github.com/tildeio/helix should make life easy then

>tfw every one of us doing C++ at work are white as fuck males (and none of us are american so no 'muh heritage' bullshit)

you can write webapps in any language with networking libraries. fuck off

anybody has used any of these? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_frameworks#C.2B.2B