E-ink displays

Are ebook tablets a meme? Would you buy one? And if you already have one, would you recommend it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WWBcvWuWw_w
gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Although I prefer actual paper books, e-ink displays are great. I've read a ton of books on my kindle I never would have read otherwise.

See, that's why I'm so tempted to buy one. I like reading books when I lay down before my night's sleep, but paper books are sometimes too cumbersome for the bed, plus you need a light source and I'd rather not have that.

But my problem is that for a tablet that you mostly use for reading ebooks, it's too expensive at $100+ (Relative to what you get).

If you can afford the space and money that paper books require, I think they're the superior option.

Reading from a regular screen for long periods of time feels a little stressful on my eyes, so I got an ebook. I am very satisfied with the purchase.

Just use your phone faggot

Fuck that.

Reading on my kindle is much nicer than using my phone/tablet. Also it's so easy to put any book I want on it.

Does it work well in low light environments? Does it strain your eyes at all? Sometimes I'm forced to read on my phone but I hate it, too much brightness, even on the lowest possible settings

Ex-XDA ebook Dev here.
Fuck them. Get a cheap tablet or a phone.
They are a meme.

If you have to get something get a Nook Simple touch with microSD reader and root it.

youtube.com/watch?v=WWBcvWuWw_w

Readers are slow as fuck. You do everything on them slow and for what?

No, I just turn the brightness down to a comfortable amount but generally the most low light I read in is in bed with a lamp on.

>Too expensive
>Ebooks cost the same as physical copies, sometimes less, sometimes more but usually within 1-2 dollarydoos difference
neh

This. A Sage encyclopedia costs $240 on fucking Google play store. I could get a cheaper physical copy in mint condition

Kobo aura one reporting in.
E-ink is way better than a phone or tablet for reading. Get one with a front light.
Post choices are Paperwhite and Kobo.
Check out #bookz and #ebooks for free books.
Check out calibre for library management, removing DRM, etc. It will automatically convert between formats as needed when sending to your device.

You retarded? It's all about stealing PDFs from Russia.

All readers are shit for reading PDF files. Period.

>Check out #bookz and #ebooks for free books.
IRC, now that's something I haven't used in a while

Also, there's this
gen.lib.rus.ec/

If you read a lot of non-pdf material, I'd recommend one. You can pick them up used for cheap. I see them at thrift stores all the time. They can be slow, but no more slow than physically turning a page on a real book. The benefit of being able to pirate books and reading out of print shit is well worth it.

I have a Kobo aura I bought at Goodwill for 10 bucks

dumb nigger they are for reading not for your memes, they are good for the screen
>paying for books
hahaha

>Being that much of a leech in society

>What is epub
>What is mobi
>What is cbz/cbr

What's wrong with reading with phone? It's not like you will be read for 3 hours straight without any break. It's not harmful at all, I read about 50-70 pages per day.
captcha: ilit oculista

>It's not like you will be read for 3 hours straight without any break.

i use a second gen nook for the gym, much better than trying to use phone. can get one for a whole whopping 20 bucks used

t. blind ADHD faggot

>Bringing your autism-device to the gym

I have a shitty cheap Kindle. I do recommend it. I've been reading a lot more after buying it. You just buy the tablet and send it your pirated books via email. It's nice.

this you retard. Literally only for reading books and non of this pajeet xda bullshit

>it's too expensive at $100+ (Relative to what you get).
A backlit, easy on the eyes, long battery life device that doesn't really ever need to be upgraded and has all of the books you could ever read ever for free.

$100 is the deal of a lifetime

use Calibre to convert the file to a more readable format you dumb fuck

E-reader with small bezels when?

who the fuck cares, you gotta hold something

kindle oasis has smallish bezels on 3 sides

I think it would be nice if they made the entire device white and integrated the screen seamlessly, that way you don't have to waste e-paper pixels on the margins

You don't actually hold by the bezels I hope.
Holing it like a phone is more convenient.

Yeah because trying to balance it on my palm like a plate for hours at a time is SO comfortable

It takes no effort at all. Actually holding by the bezel is retarded.

yeah holding it literally like you would a book is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

But then how would you hold the device without turning the page accidentally?

You can't turn pages if your thumb holds the bezel.

I guess the buttons take some force to actuate, also you could just hold them on the parts that don't have bezels

Just get a paperwhite and a cover that lets it stand over your stomach and you're good to go.
Use calibre to convert from other formats if you get the ebooks from "alternative" sources.

My kindle is my baby.
Would recommend.
Battery last a month per charge.

Usefulness shouldn't be the main argument for this price gouging. Ebook readers have been around long enough to justify a price reduction, it's not some amazing new technology.

I mean, from a business standpoint, it's retarded for Amazon to sell Kindles at such a high price since its main income will come from selling ebooks. Printer manufacturers do it, consoles do it etc, they sell the machine at a lowish price because they know the "byproducts" is where the money's at

Have a Kobo. love it.
Paper is nicer, but kobo + downloading books is cheaper.

I wanted a reader for manga but all the ones with non-shit resolution were really expensive. I ended up getting a Mi Pad 2 and I'm really happy with it.

It's a "high" price because they can't really sell you an upgraded model every few years like other electronics. Once they added the backlight, that was it. You buy one and use it until you break it or lose it.

Fuckthat.

Amazon also offers you tons of free e-books and its actually not that expensive considering the price of early ebook readers

>buying from amazon
when you cuqs will learn

Seriously, even discounting all the free books you can get, kindle books are so much cheaper than paper ones.

>kindle books are so much cheaper than paper ones.
no

$0.00 is pretty cheap

Free ebooks are absolute shit. There's a reason they are free

99% of books on amazon will be cheaper in their kindle format.

>he buys books/movies/etc

I torrent music & movies, but buy games & books, too many compatibility problems with torrented ones for my liking.

I never buy something that I can find through torrents, I don't give enough of a shit. The authors of any of this shit already has more money than I do.

Pirating books, movies etc in eastern Europe for personal use is legal. Sharing is caring.

$0.00, as in, IRC and libgen + Calibre

Just get epub and convert in case of Kindle.
Takes less than online payment (then again I'm paranoid and have to increase internet payment limit from 0)

>books
>compatibility problems
????
i guess it's pretty shitty when the only available format for an ebook is .pdf though

Sometimes calibre doesn't convert well from other formats.

it's only really pdf that converts poorly

I have a kobo but I don't use it because only faggots read books. The battery is great

Kobo aura one can change frontlight warmth for this very reason.

Got any advice for an alternative? Really interested.

The kindle is good for fiction. The small screen is a pain in the ass for technical or anything that expects a full page display. I wish amazon would sell an updated larger kindle again

>$230
You have to be a literal retard to pay that much for a fucking ereader

Libgen and #bookz

or you know, not be poor
it's okay not to be able to afford the nicer things available out there you know

android powered Onyx Boox

this

If you read a lot, totally worth it. Always have books with you, read random etexts and web articles too. Prefer Kobo with pocket.

>$100
>expensive

>he thinks $230 is too much for something you'll use for years
I hope you die, poor subhuman scum.

Of course they aren't.

>implying I want to read novels on such a small screen

Is there anything bigger than 6" out there? That seems much too small to read from, a novel is normally about 9" and more technical books can be much larger

Sony has a 13" one, I'd imagine there are ones between 6" and 13" as well.

buy glasses niggo
fucking eyelets when will they learn

>kindle oasis with 3g and no ads
>$379.99

I can buy a barely functional car for that.

>get one of these for $30 new a few years ago during amazon Thanksgiving/Christmas sale
>ad version
>never use wifi, ads don't show up
>download ''''''free'''''' ebooks and manage with calibre
best $30 I've ever spent

>all those people saying e-readers are bad with PDFs
Unless it's a double column PDF, just put it in portrait mode and have half a page per screen.

>3g ereader
For what purpose? So Amazon can remotely delete your books when you're out of wifi range?

I got the paperwhite for like $100 bucks on sale. Love being able to have all my books available all the time. Reads just like I'm looking at a paperback. It has a light, but not a backlight, so eyestrain is so much lower than staring at a tablet.

I like it.

For free 3G

When would it be useful? Months without wifi?

Whenever you're not within range of Wi-Fi, some people actually leave their houses.

What do you do with it? You actually browse internet on it?
My sides.

Download books wherever you are and browse the web, I don't see what's so funny.

Because even a phone is better for browsing.
>Download books
I guess I just always have a backlog.

Anyway you could always use tethering.

Never needed to do that so it seems to me like a stupid gimmick retards pay for only because it costs more so it must be better. Though I guess YMMV

I'll take an ereader's larger screen over my nonexistent phone any day.

But it's so slow. Unless you read some old text only sites.

Considering a Kindle Paperwhite for $120. I read a lot. That said, is there any driving reason to pay $200 for the Kindle Voyage? Or God forbid, the $289 Kindle Oasis?

All I want is a good backlight because I read in bed all the time, and good battery life. I do intend to buy my books from the Kindle store if that matters.

The Kindles don't take microSD cards correct? There is enough space for at least 10 books on these right? I average about a book every 2 days.

I remember browsing Sup Forums on the orginal e-ink kindle.

Fanfiction.net or whatever worked perfectly on there.

>I do intend to buy my books from the Kindle store if that matters.
Don't do it. If you have money to burn consider charity or something.
If you like an author send book's cost to his bank account, he sees only a very small % of those money you pay for a book.
Why the fuck do you want to fund some CEO's private island is beyond me.

I still use an original nook

It's comfy for books and PDFs

>There is enough space for at least 10 books on these right?
More like 1,000.

Typical size of an ebook on a kindle is about 2mb. Storage on a Paper White is 4gb. Yes, you can hold at least 10 books.

They all have a light, although the lighting on the Voyage or Oasis is more even due to them using more LEDs, but it probably doesn't make any difference to most people.

The Oasis has physical page buttons while the others require you to swipe the screen to turn the page. Depends on your preferences, I have a Nook and I tend to swipe anyway even with the buttons. They're nice but not $170 more nice.

books take nearly 0 space user, they're just text. you'll be able to store as much as you want

the only advantages of the voyage seem to be a light sensor (to automatically adjust the screen brightness) and actual page-turn buttons in addition to the touchscreen
is this worth $80 to you? probably not

that said you should buy the $140 paperwhite, not the $120 "includes special offers" one. unless you want an ereader infested with mandatory adware, or you're planning to root it to remove that shit