/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFOEY4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd_280_pro_new.htm
earplugstore.com/ezform-custom-ear-mold-kit.html
youtube.com/watch?v=MQyj0i_NL90
north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/custom-studio.html
amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-CUSTOM-ONE-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00THEBBXU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496774902&sr=8-3&keywords=Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphones-Accessory-Microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496774902&sr=8-2&keywords=Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Studio-Beyerdynamic-Headphones/dp/B00OAR8VUA
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Studio-Beyerdynamic-Headphones/dp/B00OAR8VUA/
theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ewdap2FX-uE
amazon.ca/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW
head-fi.org/f/showcase/feixiang-fx-audio-dac-x6.21764/reviews
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is the M40x bright?

>Budget
< 100 euro
>Location
Europe
>Source
Workstation, no DAC
>Type of headphone
Looking for bluetooth closed headphones
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
As comfy as possible, I like large drivers
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Too many to remember, honestly.

I'm generally looking for some cheap but good headphones to use at work, I'd love to have bluetooth but it's not a strict requirement. I want good noise isolation/noise canceling as I don't want to leak music while working to not inconvenience coworkers. Budget is low, I know, so I don't expect perfect quality. Just good price/quality ratio I guess, if possible. Might go a bit higher than that if there are good suggestions.

My drivers won't reinstall for the Logitech G930 and it is wireless so it can't use the default windows drivers, and now I am ordering the Logitech G230 because I can't find the drivers for the G930 anywhere. Does anyone have any experience with the G230s? How are they?
Amazon: amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFOEY4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got my new dac/amp in and working after setting it up, but after turning it off and on again, there is no sound coming to my headphones anymore.
Windows is telling me there is sound, my device is the default one, yet I'm not getting anything.
Drivers are up to date too.

Bumpo

No.
thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd_280_pro_new.htm
Gaming headsets aren't popular in these threads, but they should be fine going by the amazon reviews.
Try unplugging the cable and reinserting it?
M40x? MDR-V6/MDR-7506 is good too but you can't jog with those. If you double your budget you can get the PM-3 which would give you what you want.

Anyone in here with experience of earplugstore.com/ezform-custom-ear-mold-kit.html or other diy custom molded earplugs (for IEMs)?

I've tried my friend's G230; Shit sounded like NiggaBassy, compressed garbage compared to my Superlux HD 681's at the time. Clamp was loosey goosey on my small head and the cups felt like big kiddie pools made of gym shorts around my ears. They're decent for the price if you absolutely need a fixed headphone and mic combo.

Yes I know the Pm3 that they are great but Im on a kinda strict budget since I hate headphones, but I do need them.

But thx will check the 40xs out, if you guys think they are better than the 770s?

Interested in Headphones and DAC
>Budget
250 USD
>Location
Southern USA
>Source
PC
>Closed or Open
Closed
>Comfort Level
Pretty important, long sessions
>Sound Sig
Not sure, listen to a lot of washed out and this:
youtube.com/watch?v=MQyj0i_NL90
>Past Headphones
shitphones

Getting one of these tomorrow.

Opinions?

Forgot pic sorry.

Sony MDRZX110

I think I'd prefer the 770 for desktop use, but the M40x would be better for jogging.

I'm going to stop recommending the DT770 as this is now available, there isn't much feedback on it as yet but it seems better.

north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/custom-studio.html
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
It's well reviewed and cheap, not bad if you're an extreme poorfag.

>Making new thread before hit the bump limit

Fucking faggot

M40X is closer to neutral than DT770's

>It's well reviewed and cheap, not bad if you're an extreme poorfag.
That is right. I am a poorcollegefag and need something okay-ish for the daily bus commute. Thank you :D

>my face after buying AKG K52
Fir this price, these are the best headphones i've heard so far.

>Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Thanks for the quick reply ill check it out

Nevermind, after a lot of messing around with the settings. It turns out that Discord was the culprit.

Simply enabling the legacy audio options solved most, if not all my problems.

You seem upset.

Any idea why this pair:
amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-CUSTOM-ONE-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00THEBBXU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496774902&sr=8-3&keywords=Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
is 250$ vs this pair:
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphones-Accessory-Microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496774902&sr=8-2&keywords=Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
is only 180$? They both say Beyerdynamic Custom Studio Pro

He means this one
They're DT770 80 Ohm with more features

Those are the older models.

This is the one you want:

amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Studio-Beyerdynamic-Headphones/dp/B00OAR8VUA/

It seems to be a better DT770 Pro 80 ohm, which is a highly recommended headphone.

So I had a pair of soundmagic E50S's but they broke and I had to return them
My budget is now about £60, I'm looking for another pair of IEMs to buy or maybe some portable headphones
Should I just get another pair of E50S's or should I go for something else?
>Budget
60 pounds
>Location
UK
>Source
Android phone, PC using on board sound card
>Type of headphone
IEMs preferably, otherwise possibly closed back headphones
>Comfort level
Quality over comfort
>Past headphones
Soundmagic E10s, E50S, Sony ZX660APs

theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

Thanks guys!

They're fucking 10 dollars. Try them yourself and let us know how well they work.

Can anyone help me decide on IEMs or maybe on ears? Budget somewhere around $50 but willing to go up too $100 if worth it for the sound.

Here are the IEMs I'm looking at. I will use them in the gym also, but sound quality is number one priority. I listen to mostly like Alt rock, shoegaze, indie, new wave, grunge, etc. But I also listen to hip-hop and rap fairly often so yeah.

MEE audio M6 PRO $49
SoundMAGIC E80 Reference $74.99
Zero Audio Tenore $42
FiiO EX1 $60
Shure SE-215K $89

Or should I get some headphones, like on ear, and use cheaper like $10 Panasonics in the gym? Only thing is like, I don't like how headphones put a like mark across the top of my hair where they were sitting. But I guess I could get over it but I'd maybe rather just wear IEMs. But if the sound difference is worth it I'm down to get on ears or even over the ears.

But yeah I was also looking at Grado SR60e and SR80e. I'm also wanting to get a DAC in the future too.

M6 PRO is better than SE215, I owned both.
Don't have experience with the other IEMs.

You can get some cheap KSC75 for home use if you hate headbands, they sound just as good as the Grados for very little money. The $10 Panasonics are insanely good IEMs too, but if you're doing a lot of movement they'd fall out of your ears.

Thanks again everybody, i went ahead and pulled the trigger

Why the DAC/amp?

Any rec for a M1060 amp? The only thing I can find on Head-Fi is people circlejerking over paper towels and vegan pads.

Not him, but here in Amazon ca there are only 2 or 3 different amps or dacs you can get, two of them being a combo.

Schiit Magni 2 is fine.
He may not need a DAC/amp. I've found that motherboard audio outputs are good these days. Maybe if he wants the volume pot, it's a good choice.

Not the Logitech, but I've tried two other headsets back when I had more money than sense.

Sennheiser Arctis 3
>very light
>soft pads
>sounds like literal tin cans
>ski band is hard to get a good fit on my huge head

Corsair Void Stereo
>okay sound
>bet fitting headband
>clamps my ears like a motherfucker
>wire's too short to fully reach my PC under my desk

I've since moved back to the AD700 and got a Zalman clip mic for the few times I'm ever on team chat.

i want to fuck that penguin

>current headphones:
sony mdr zx600
>bought today:
kingston hyperx cloud 2

Bass are better and stronger on Sony, also the audio from the cloud feels too boxed.
Sony sound a lot better to me.
Should I return the cloud or is it just a matter of abitud and the cloud really are better than Sony?

Any good cheap headphones? Preferably on ear

KSC75/SportaPro/PortaPro
Superlux HD 562

anyone have the sound intone CX-05? How is it?

>Sennheiser Arctis 3
what

can someone please identify the headphones in this clip

youtube.com/watch?v=Ewdap2FX-uE

AKG K5XX Series headphone (K550/K551/K553/545)

This long winded reply is for my experience with the ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD598.
Just got ATH-M50xs after 3 years of using Sennheiser HD598s and the out of box sound of the M50x is better but my day one experience with the HD598 was so positive.

I DO NOT like the stock ear pads the m50s come with because they're shitty PU leather with even cheaper foam inside, I bought a velour memory foam to replace them on amazon, not only for comfort but to actually hear myself when I'm talking. I got so used to it because of my Sennheisers that I'm just uncomfortable in every chat I'm in.

After 3 years I didn't actually need new headphones but just wanted something different so I decided to get the headphones that are absolutely OVERRATED but they turned out alright. I just needed to spend that $20 extra on better earpads and I think these will be great headphones for years to come.

Return them M50's, get Custom Studios.
They're the complete upgrade from M50X's.

>Budget
80-90 €
>Location
Italy
>Source
Android smartphone and PC
>Type of headphone
on ear, Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
At least as comfortable as Sony MDR ZX600
>Sound signature
Bassy
>Past headphones
Sony MDR ZX600, they are pretty worn out, so I'm looking for something similar or better

cheers

Fuck, I mean Steelseries.

Fuck you

I can't find much difference in volume between a new motherboard and a Fiio E10k, just as a heads up to everyone that thinks the E10k is the cheap end-all DAC/AMP

You are upset.
>E10K
>cheap end-all DAC/AMP
You mean the Fulla2?

Oh is that piece of garbage still being shilled here?

What other alternatives are there to the E10K and Fulla 2 under $150 for a DAC/AMP combo?

amazon.ca/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW

Does anyone in /hpg/ like beats by dre or are they a meme brand?

I have this myself, if you have any questions about it, let me know.

>fulla 2
You mean FX-X6?

>Budget
Like 200 euroshekels, relatively flexible.
>Location
Austria or Germany, can order from both.
>Source
Phone and notebook.
>Type of headphone
Over-ear. On-ear or IEM needs to be really good if i was to get that.
>Open or closed
Closed. Need isolation.
>Comfort level
Decent. Custom pads is fine.
>Sound signature
V-shapre or neutralish, really anything but niggerbass.
>Past headphones
DT770, DT990, some Logitech and Steelseries gaymen headset (don't judge me), Monks, Rock Zircon, some shitty Sennheisers.

hd 380 pro

OP of I've asked opinions on this before and it keeps getting disregarded like the DAC is garbage or something along the lines of that.

380 Pro
Custom Studio (DT770 80 Ohm with more features)
HD 25 1-II with velours or Superlux HD 562 with velours

Thanks, HD 380 Pro look the best of all of those.
Customs have probably too high Ohm.
Are there any other option? Just trying to get some options.

There's also the Custom One Pro which has the same drivers as the DT770i and DT770M. Similar V-Shape to the DT770 with less treble and is more efficient.

HD380 Pro owner, I love them. They sound really good and are comfortable AF, despite isolation.
Still, they have nothing on the HD600 I use at home.

>FX-X6
kek, chink.
>Output power: 90mw / 600Ω, 180mw / 300Ω, 450mw / 100Ω, 610mw / 62Ω, 910mw / 32Ω, 1000mw / 16Ω
>head-fi.org/f/showcase/feixiang-fx-audio-dac-x6.21764/reviews
You'd think it's USB considering how little output it has at typical headphone impedance (300Ω).

So it's good and I don't mind an extra cable to power it, thanks for confirming.

No, lrn2rd, it's bad. Typical chink board design, shit output, fulla2 walks all over it despite usb power.

Fulla2 Power in comparison
Maximum Power, 16 Ohms:550mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 32 ohms:360mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms:230mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms:40mW RMS per channel

Sir?

fucking rekt
when will schiit shills learn

kek, the difference is the fulla2 is USB powered :P
For something that plugs into mains, this chink trash doesn't hold a candle to magni2.

>moving the goalpost
just admit you got btfo, dumb shill

It's not meant to compete with the Magni2 and it's $35 cheaper than the magni.

kek, I wouldn't trust some chink trash that plugs into mains, if I were you.
I hope your house's insured.

Quick rundown on the AKG K240?

just stop responding, you're just embarassing yourself further

Noire, best girl, prefers Schiit™ over chink shit.

>you're just embarassing yourself further
>"Noire, best girl, prefers Schiit™ over chink shit."
That user's not wrong.

>best girl not iris heart
can your taste get any worse?

>unironically defends chink-fi
>shows do-M tendences
Try /csg/

>implying I'm defending chink-fi
I'm just here to laugh at how hard you got BTFO. Maybe you're the one with do-M tendencies, seeing how hard you enjoyed that.

Alright lads, I've made £200 from crypto gains and I'm looking to invest in a DAC and some decent headphones for music / gaming. All I have currently is a £20 headset and some £35 in ears (Soundmagic E10's)

>Budget
£150-£200
>Location
UK
>Source
DAC
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Semi-open if possible
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for 4+ hours
>Sound signature
Don't mind
>Past headphones
Soundmagic E10

Budget includes a DAC too, so I'm probably looking for headphones in the £100-£120 range. If anyone has suggestions of a good USB DAC that would be good too.

Also, I'd much prefer good build quality and comfort over slightly improved sound quality.

Thanks

Asami imai, noire's (also chihaya)'s seiyuu, definitely sounds best on schiit stack... with HD600.

You don't have to dig a deeper hole than the one you're already in, user.

>budget includes amp/dac
Money is better spent on cans.
Look into used HD600, HD599, 579, 598se, k702, k712.

>Budget
~60>

>Location
US

>Source
Ipod and pc

>Type of headphone
over ear

>Open or closed
closed/ semi open

>Comfort level
Comfy or tolerable

>Sound signature
plenty of bass, tolerable highs, and warm mids.

>Past headphones
Tascam TH02
Sony MDRZX110
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

662 EVO
Creative Aurvana Live

I'd have to wait like two months for them to get here and if one of the alternatives are better that'd mean something like 4 months.

Anyone tried out the new KZ ZS5s yet?

Reddit hopped on the ZS5 train and has measurements.

Only reason I wanted a DAC was because my computer has terrible isolation and coil whine is picked if I use a non-usb mic and sometimes faintly audible though headphones.
Also I was under the impression that high end headphones usually sound clearer when amped, but is the difference not worth the cost?
Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll take a look.

Meant for

How shit are these?
I mean i know all bluetooth headphones are garbage, but accepting that reality, with regards to the competition, how do these perform? I'm mostly interested because of the 40+ hour battery life and cheap($35) price. I'm sure they're atleast as good as beats, right?

tfw 3 of the leather headband replacements you bought from sennheiser have fallen apart with minimum usage so you say fuck sennheiser and just superglue them back together.

>measurements
They can be very misleading.
The coupler is too far off of any representation of the ear canal load to be corrected for. You can roughly locate local min-max points, but the shape is going to be all wrong.

>clearer when amped
The purpose of an amplifier is to amplify, normally without undesired artifacts. Being clearer would only happen if the electronics you used to power the headphone were in overload.

What about cans with high resistance that a PC can't power though? Are those types of headphones not common?

I'm certain I've seen multiple reviews of headphones before along the lines of "these sound decent but sounded much clearer after I bought an amp for them". I just assumed that an amp was pretty much a necessity for high end headphones.

People make the same claim with cables. Chances are any positive effects from including an amplifier are because you're just playing things louder than before. As long as the headphones are getting enough power from a source with a low output impedence, they'll almost always sound the same.

>Budget
$200
>Location
AUD
>Source
O2
>Type of headphone
full size
>Open or closed
open asf
>Comfort level
ultra
>Sound signature
depth to the bass and good highs and mids
>Past headphones
T50RP (wheres the bass?), AD500X (wish the build quality was a lot better, if they were they'd be the perfect headphones)