Digital Camera and Lens General

Discuss all things about digital cameras.

Question for discussion: What is the best price to performance ratio camera and lens combo on the market?

>inb4 /p/
Brother, I would like to read more than 3 replies to this thread over the next week.

Recommend a nice first camera just starting out that costs less than $400

Fuck yeah I just bought this camera

A6300 + zeiss glass

Best price/performance ratio lenses are consumer grade lenses made by 3rd party companies, 90s Canon and Nikon lenses, and vintage lenses adapted to fit on your camera.

One lens to look out for: Olympus OM System 50mm f/1.8

These were very common 40 or so years ago and you can find them at yard sales and thrift store for about 5 bucks sometimes. That's where I got mine, and I've read similar stories from others. It can be adapted to fit Canon EF mount and mirrorless cameras. I don't think it works too well with Nikon DSLRs.

Is it as sharp as newer lenses? No. But it's very fast, and it's sharp enough. There's a lot of quality here for the price.

Canon T3i if you just want to take normie snapshots.

5D if you're more serious.

Do people just not realize that we have a whole board for this?

Is there some kind of beginner's literature on lenses, cameras, and how to discern the differences between models?
I'm afraid that if I do the standard google, I'll be assaulted by marketing buzzwords and megapixels.

Used Pentax K5 II with 18-55mm weather resistant lens.

This may seem like heresy, but I think glass quality doesn't matter as much as people make it out to. The focal length and the aperture make up 90% of what you see in the photo. Number of blades, coating, that sort of stuff comes second. Super sharpness is just gravy that I don't exactly need like I need those other things.

Do you realize that /p/ has -maybe- 100 posts a day across the whole board? If you want to get a response within 3 hours forget that board.

Northrup Photography on youtube. /p/ hates them so that means it's probably what you should be watching.

And most of the posts re in the gear thread.

Gear thread on /p/?

I learned the basics from Matt Granger's Educating Tina playlist on Youtube.

>Question for discussion: What is the best price to performance ratio camera and lens combo on the market?
Any slightly used consumer level DSLR around 5-8 years old is going to be a great value and still relevant technology. The oldest I'd go back with Canon would be the 50D body, and they were $1400 cameras when originally introduced. Now you can pick up a body for around $300. Yeah, they're currently outclassed by modern models, but not by leaps and bounds. The 50D (and newer) DSLRs are still very good cameras, and Canon has some excellent EF series lenses that you can get for a good price as well. I like the newer STM pancakes for a compact prime that works great for walk-around photography.

As for those small mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras like in the OP, they aren't generally a very good value because of a lack of a good lens ecosystem. If you really want APS-C for cheap, you should be able to find something like a Sony NEX C3 with kit lens for under $200, but you'll be stuck with Sony's native lenses, which are all either cheap meh tier or overpriced pretty good tier.

We have a whole board dedicated to this.

As long as the lens is reasonably sharp, that's good enough for me, but having a reasonably fast lens is nice in low light, and being able to open up the aperture helps your photography avoid that deep depth of field, camera phone effect that plagues so many amateur photographers. Not that all your photos need to have it, but it's nice to be able to control depth of field sometimes.

Vintage lenses are inexpensive for a reason. Nobody wants to use a manual focus, manual aperture lens on a digital camera, especially a camera that lacks an optical viewfinder like those mirrorless ones. And I really doubt that you got a good lens for $5. All of the truly great manual lenses shot up in price years ago when Sony first introduced the NEX.

>And I really doubt that you got a good lens for $5.

Do you not understand that is if its a gragesale/thrift store that isnt going to bother or know that an old lens might be valuable

All I'm saying is that my bullshit detector was triggered by your post. Actually good lenses have been the expensive minority even since back in the 90s or whenever your lens comes from. The kind of person who did the research and shelled out enough money to buy a good lens back then would have some concept of what it's worth and it doesn't make sense that they would just sell it for $5 at a garage sale.

Also, the fact that you say you got your lens from a "garage sale/thrift store" is suspicious. Do you not remember which it was? How do you expect me to trust you on how much you paid for it, then? Or to evaluate the lens' performance objectively?

Well, you posted it. a6000 is the best bang for buck you'll ever get. As for lenses, depends on what you want to do. SEL35F18 is stellar for its quality and low light performances. If you want wider, the Samyang 12mm is top tier and cheap, albeit manual (not a problem for such focal). If you want a all around good zoom, the 18-105G. A little on the big side, but it's a G lens and a best bang for bucks as far as quality goes.

Pic related, Samyang pano

What does Sup Forums think of the a7ii?

Also what does Sup Forums think of nikon?

It was actually a flea market by a roadside that buys things from estate auctions and then resells them. How do things that sell for $30-50 end up at flea markets, yard sales, and thrift stores for a fraction of their market value? Ignorance mostly. People not wanting to fool with listing things online, or being some kind of luddites that are wary of such things. A lot of reasons. But they're out there as there is an entire thriving industry of it. People make their whole livings going around finding these things for their own resale.

>Or to evaluate the lens' performance objectively?
There's this thing called google where you can look up reviews of things. It's pretty cool.

not to shill, but pic related is a great alternative that does 4k video at 100mbps and a 4k burst mode. in smartphone terms: 30fps 8MP shots with a fast sd card. also, it can mount a shotgun mic and panasonic and olympus actually make m4/3 lenses unlike sony with the e-mount
>inb4 "adapt FE mount, faggot"

there's a fucking board for this retard

yes it's full of sony spillover shills but still

canon eos m + 22mm f2.
a6000/nex6 + crusty old minolta md 28mm f2.8 + 50 1.8 because kit lens is shit.

Our boards, white boi

das right

g85 is better.
you can get a zhongyi lens turbo and vintage glass but still get stabilisation.