Linux is really gnu. Linux is just the program that runs gnu

Linux is really gnu. Linux is just the program that runs gnu.

fuck off, stallman. go eat some dirt from your foot

ignore RMS trolls. It's a meme, nothing else. (apart of those not realizing it)

>Linux is really x. Linux is just the program that runs x.

Of course. Its GNU with linux.

Not all operating systems that use Linux as their kernel use GNU software.

Another thread full of misconceptions and untruths about the Linux operating system.

the saddest thing about this meme is that a lot of people here seriously believe that linux isn't an OS

It's a kernel not an OS.

please be trolling.
if not, read a book on OS.

Linux is simply the kernel, just one part of the GNU+Linux system

The kernel is an OS.

The kernel just handles memory management and other low-level operations, it's not even the most important part of the system dumbfuck.

Still an OS, cunt.
>Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies wherever you see Linux in use.

>A modern computer consists of one or more processors, some main memory,
disks, printers, a keyboard, a mouse, a display, network interfaces, and various
other input/output devices. All in all, a complex system. If every application pro-
grammer had to understand how all these things work in detail, no code would
ever get written. Furthermore, managing all these components and using them
optimally is an exceedingly challenging job. For this reason, computers are
equipped with a layer of software called the operating system, whose job is to
provide user programs with a better, simpler, cleaner, model of the computer and
to handle managing all the resources just mentioned. These systems are the sub-
ject of this book.

Tanenbaum, Modern Operating Systems, chapter 1, paragraph 1

>Linus is a retard. By my definition, a retard is a person who thinks they can make up arbitrary definitions for whatever they want and then relentlessly cry about it. That definition applies wherever you see Linus.

Sounds like someone's assblasted about Linux being an OS.

what about tanenbaum or stallings ?

I'm simply sad. Sad that your group of GNUfags and freetards are ruining the good name of proprietary software for the masses.

Stallman is the ringleader of this cult that is decreasing the collective IQ of the world

>your group of GNUfags and freetards
Please don't associate me with those delusional morons.

Well, now a days it seems a bit weird calling Linux "just a kernel". I mean, technically it is but let's say you have a HDD partitioned with Windows and Linux. Pending on who the master boot record selects to load is which kernel gets loaded. Windows has its own own kernel and so does Linux. Each has a collection of userspace applications that get loaded like a desktop environment, etc. In Windows everything is developed in house so you just call it Windows no matter the userspace. With Linux, I get that the userspace was developed by groups of people thus the whole is called GNU, but isn't the entire point of the FSF to use the work of others as a means of innovative production? I mean, if you start breaking down userspace, then shouldn't Debian be called a GNU/Gnome/Linux,etc. Etc. ?

I ran out of pics of Linus flipping off the camera, but I just want you to know: fuck you.

>I ran out of pics of Linus flipping off the camera
just admit that you are too lazy to search for some.
it's linus, if he's not working on linux his either flipping off a camera somewhere or ranting about ranting about something

>I mean, technically it is
technically it is a fucking OS. both tanenbaum and stallings books on OS which are considered the standard in CS agree on that.

Linux is a kernel.

GNU is a distribution.

Together they make an os.

It's linux in the context of one OS differentiated from another OS. You get specific once you're only talking about things that use the linux kernal. Is it a server? Is it gnu? etc.etc.

When posters here say windows is best. They don't say windows 7 is better than all linux. Even though they may use win7. They just say 'linux

i'm always amazed how polite and friendly this post is compared to pretty much everything else he says

is it even legit?
i thought it was a pasta

true
while nowadays the system consists of a lot more than just GNU utilities (X, window manager, your desktop environment's suit of applications) historically the GNU project has created an almost completely usable operating system but merely lacked a kernel, which Linux provided

The kernel is the system.

suite*

HEY DUMB FROG POSTER!! HOW ABOUT YOU PUT THOSE GAY GLASSES BACK ON SO I CAN PUNCH THE GLASS IN TO YOUR EYES??

It's pasta, not real

Linux is a kernel
I use a linux distribution, which is an OS.
Try uninstalling all packages except "linux-*" and work with your "OS"

>Linux is a kernel
and also an OS
>I use a linux distribution, which is an OS.
thats even more retarded than saying that linux isn't an OS
>Try uninstalling all packages except "linux-*" and work with your "OS"
has already been done ? even some IoT devices just bundled 1 application with linux and run it in kernel space. so it's just linux + an application that handles whatever task the IoT device is supposed to do.

So gnu is the Program that runs gnu?

inb4 HURD
>lel never finished
>let's just fork Linux and call it "the GNU OS"

DELET TIS