16 cores/32 threads

Intel:

i9 7980 XE

$2000
18 cores/36 threads
44 PCIE lanes

What does 64 lanes mean?

Wait until release.

Ever wanted to run 4 video cards at 16x?

I thought Intel had a bunch of innovations and crazy experimental stuff stashed away to remain competitive with whatever AMD offers. I guess I was wrong; this really caught them with their pants down.

How many lanes the CPU has to communicate with the PCIE lanes and the things in them such as graphics cards and raid cards. Not a big deal for graphics cards because they don't even max out 16 lanes each, but it is a big deal for servers with RAID cards.

Nice

Intel is screwed over their pricing but performance wise the Threadripper will lag or be competitive with the Intel 12 core

It's the same Ryzen meme launch again

>1800X will destroy the 7700k
>Vega is 1080/1080Ti performance
>Threadripper is """equal""" to Intel's 18-core
(lol

AMDrones barely bought the 1800X and favored the 1700 and 1600 which are mid-level CPUs, now they're hyping a CPU that they could not buy

Is Threadripper our guy?

>1800X will destroy the 7700k
>source : my boi ass
since when ?

It can accept a lot of U2 drives which are rather rare currently so it will be niche product. and even then existing solutions already use pcie hubs if you really want that many U2 disks. pic related

raid cards and hbas are generally only 8x and would not benefit from this

JIM KELLER
JEM KILLER
JEW KILLER

In workstation loads, the 7700k is a joke. The 1800X kills Intel's lineup in performance for money. Considering Threadripper is designed for workstations (not faggot gaymerz), Intel is fucked.

>top pops open like a tape recorder

That's pretty sexy.

How do I get paid for posting in here?

4 GPUs at 16x (compute crowd will go wild)
2 GPUs at 16x and 8 NVME drives at 4x
Storage server with 16 NVME devices at 4x

Basically you'll never have to wonder if you'll have enough expansion for something ever again. You'll almost certainly run out of slots to put stuff into before you run out of lanes.

Delet

>How do I get paid for posting in here? Please respond.

Please respond.

Intel is this screwed.

Pls respond.

>cucking yourself

>How to money? Pls respond.

Intel is dead, Apple is going to buy Intel.

how much will the 12 core be?

Probably $700

>falling for the intel/amd moar cores meme

Single core is all you need.

The contract keller.

Don't forget your $300 RAID dongle, expensive motherboard, water cooler and delidding kit.

Holy shit summer is here

>muh gaymes

Where the fuck are my hundred stage 7ghz single cores reeeee

>mfw amd is soldering their chips so poorjeets cant even delid their chips

Stop being poor and buy intel

Why would anybody buy more than 2 videocards at this day and age. Fuck, even buying more than one nowadays is a meme. It isn't needed for shit, or you wanna play 4k resolution which i hope you don't.

And for that reason more PCIE lanes aren't all that great to have.

You do not want to awaken the evil known as Tejas.

>I've never seen a workstation in my life

Someone will find a use for it. this is the HEDT platform, so you don't have to worry about the target audience, if someone is interested chances are they want something it has, otherwise there is X370 and lower for everyone else.
Now that storage is starting to feed heavily off PCI-E lanes, it starts to matter as you have both GPUs and storage.

But I want to burn down my apartment

What would be a better accelerant than a p5?

It's funny, because up till now the 2P Intel workstations that were often used for intense workloads actually had 80 PCI-E lanes (40 per CPU), so you could not only have 4-way 16x, but still have enough left over for fast storage as well.
At least with this most people can actually afford something that's not old stock from some IT company so there's that.

Are you defective? The fuck would make you think it's all for gaming.
Sure you can play games with them. But there's much more cost effective solutions.

>needing to delid your cpu because the kikes at Intel decided to cheap-out on the IHS

>implying this is for videogames
only retards would buy this shit for videogames alone
this is going to be extremely good for freelancers and small businesses or startups

Not yet.

Not until they release the PSP source code.

>r freelancers and small businesses or startups
Thread ripper can easily replace 3-4 racks.

that too, but this shit is going to make things so much more affordable for a variety of businesses

Yeah. I forgot to add """""Cheap""""" racks.
Really looking at around a $3K saving.
Only reason to bypass thread ripper id if you really hate seeing your tax dollars go to useful services. so you buy racks anyway to claim back more.

>2P Intel workstations
As rare as the unicorn. Easily replaced by one EPYC.

In a desktop/workstation build you can run M.2 SSDs on PCIe cards.

>raid cards and hbas are generally only 8x and would not benefit from this
With 60-odd lanes to play with you can run a lot of storage, a couple gpus and still have bandwidth left over for other shit like video capture cards

I'm looking at dual or triple gpus (vm passthrough, not gaymer autism), a couple x4 capture cards and some nvme ssds and/or a raid controller to wring speed out of a stack of hdds

excited as fuck about having lanes to spare for a change desu

Nobody's going to buy intel.

>2P Intel workstations
>As rare as the unicorn.

they are ubiquitous at my work. we have tons of them, all running ubuntu.

ubuntu? why

OH SHIT
3 GPU PASSTHROUGHS
THAT MEANS 3 DIFFERENT VM OS + 1 HOST OS
AT THE SAME
TIME
but how do I assign a different IP address per VM OS?

>contract keller
fucking lol

this.

if threadripper is ~$800, i'd strongly consider for my main. Not a gaymer.

Not him, but Ubuntu 8 and 10 were pretty damn perfect. Everything they set out to do just worked out of the box.

I wonder if 18 will be decent again once they ditch Unity and the Systemd transition has finished teething.

>>but how do I assign a different IP address per VM OS?
NIC spoofing and control over DHCP (pfsense?)

For some reason I'm currently doing forensics on some ~10TB of images using log2timeline on my R7 1700 system. Cant imagine how timeconsuming that would have been on a gamurr corelet 7600k setup. My only regret was that I didnt know about Threadripper when i pulled the trigger on the 1700..

threadripper will cost at least 3 times of 1700. and I'm not counting premium prices for x399 board.

Explain why do you guys shill AMD so much even though they fail in everything they try?

Looks like the Intel shills have completely run out of ways to trick people into buying Intel chips, so they're just throwing around vague and meaningless shit like this.

Still no explanation. I guess it's too hard to let go of AMD

1800x destroys 7700k in workloads you dingus.
Vega is yet to be seen.
Threadripper is more efficient and has more pcie lanes.
Intel may jack up and make 2cores out of 18cores good, but it'll still be expensive shit.
Just stop shilling and help me DELID my 7700k

Nobody's falling for your shit anymore.

INTEL IS DONE FOR

PAJEETS WON

Better workload CPU's at a better price

Yeah, sounds a lot like AMD's current state

Intel shill shoo shoo

I don't think you understand the purpose of delidding. Nobody wants to delid a SOLDERED cpu you dumbfuck cretin.

A die shrink of Excavator to 7nm would clock to 8ghz 24/7.
28nm -> 7nm is 1/6th power draw.

Delidding voids warranty and is only done because Intel uses shitty thermal paste.

I wouldn't be surprised if Threadripper beats Intel's 18 core in quite a few workloads too. The $500 1800X beats the $1500 Intel 6950K in quite a few benchmarks, despite the 6950K having 10 cores and the 1800X only having 8.

Assrock already made a board with 13 PCIe slots since people these days need that many videocards.

kek what?

The 8 core 1800X has two less cores than a 10 core 6950X and is only fractionally less powerful, it actually performs better in some cases.

This is not how how it do.

Because intel is garbage.

Bad goy

EIGHT (8) HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARIDOOS

Multiple usb or internal NICs assigned to the individual VMs.

You know what's really spooky? Zen2 on 7nm HP FinFETs.

But you'd still end up with the same external IP

>pciex1
Those are probably for sound, networking, and storage.

PCI-E bandwidth doubles with each generation. 1.0 16x has same bandwidth as 3.0 4x.

Well if you want external IPs just run each VM through a different VPN.

Serious question;

So is the threadripper a larger die size, like two 8core chips matched together for what is essentially a "dual cpu" board?

Just seems that way, the way the specs look.

Don't get mad. I'm not very deep into computers engineerings.

It's two Zeppelin (imagine 1800x) dies on one PCB.

1800x destroys 7700k . Oh wait you mean in muh gayms ?? Who the fuck buys a 500 $ cpu for games ? 1800x matches 6900k in productiviy

Go suck more INTEL DICK , and while you are at it , eat some thermal paste after you have to delid your cpu cause intel are bunCH OF CHEAP FUCKS

Don't forget that RAID is not available until you pay $300 for a flash drive with the activation key

Every thread, every fucking thread the same desperate as shill is here saying how people don't "need" this or that our how Pentium are perfectly fine.

If I ever find you faggot I'm gonna make you eat a fucking Pentium while you watch your stock crash like the fucking titanic.

It is two 1800x chips i think.

But it's not shit like sli and such, they are put together in such a way that they work extremely well and scaling is practically linear. There's very few if any drawbacks to the implementation.

>very few
If any.

That's exactly what i said

INFINITY FABRIC
N
T
E
L

B
T
F
O

I believe that the 1700, 1700X and 1800X are all the exact same silicon with different binning, seeing as some people are getting 1800X clocks from OC'ing their 1700s. So a TR can be binned with performance as high as an 1800X, but it's not guaranteed.

In terms of value proposition, AMD could very well sell the multiple tiers of 16-core offerings as a simple doubling of price, completely ignoring the exponential pricing scale used by their competitor.

That's exactly correct, I did exactly that earlier today.

Got a 3.8 oc on my servers 1700, beats the 1800x stock speeds slightly and the bench mark score backs it up, it's literally the same chip at different speeds.

Really nice actually, basically got an 1800x for 300 bucks. Beats the living shit out of a 5960X too. Score was like 35k vs 47k.

There will always be some tasks which do not scale well on physically separated dies.
The matter is that there are few of them.

Cachebound shit also suffers from ebin gigantic slices of L3 with HUEG latency. Quad core is your best solution for these tasks.

If you are buying something like thread ripper you will probably understand this, it's not your mom's shit cpu that some staples drone sold her for commission, professionals and enthusiasts will be the audience and they know exactly what they want and need.

Not to mention I don't think this chip will be in any prebuilt.