RIP firefox

RIP firefox

For the time being, I'm going to stop building the webext version of uBO, there are too many serious issues now with it. I will resume when things stabilize, it's unclear whether it is expected things will have to change in uBO or whether things will be fixed in webext.

About accessing the dashboard, it's unclear to me whether this is something that will be fixed in WebExtensions[1], the answer from the Firefox dev is ambiguous: bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 368152#c15. (I am being told the URL is not valid, then that it's not supported, then pointed to a bug issue where it's unclear whether it will fix the particular issue affecting uBO).

I could create a link to the dashboard, but this would mean downgrading uBO's current behavior: currently, if the dashboard is already opened, uBO will merely just activate the tab. If I have to change this to a plain link, then this means the tab will be reloaded, and any changes not yet committed in the dashboard would be lost. But anyways, this would not solve the document-blocked case, where uBO really need to programmatically load the tab with a specific moz-extensions: URL.

The performance issue is real, I did run some benchmarks a while ago using the page-load-speed tool, and there is definitely an extra overhead incurred with WebExtensions. The webext version of uBO is pretty much exactly the Chromium version of uBO (code is imported as is), and it performs excellently on Chromium. Wherever uBO performs best, I consider this the reference performance, and if one platform suffers performance regression, this has to be addressed by the platform.

I've put (and still do) a lot of work into finding out where things can be improved, and it's discomfiting to see these performance gains being negated on the current webext platform. Hopefully with the ongoing work being done on the webext API, these issues will resolve with time.
- gorhill

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14751077#p14751077

>im just here to block your ads

Pale Moon doesn't have this problem.

Firefox really is a mess
is Nightly any better ?

Read the fucking thread, you meme spouting nigger, this is an issue concerning Nightly and that won't affect stable Firefox until November, provided it isn't fixed by then.

It's temporarily frozen because they have to fix bugs. Also, it's only for the beta version. Why are you trying to make a big deal out of it?

i don't care about your fucking issue, firefox is such an unresponsive cpu fucking memory eating piece of retarded nigger shit nowadays and i asked if nightly builds are any better

Well there is no better alternative so I can wait

>RIP firefox
he's just putting pressure on the devs. there's still half a year left before webex support needs to be ready. and if it isn't they can still push it back to the next release

is that a woman

There needs to be a list of every major addon that won't be updated for webextensions or will be on hold for months after webextensions is released.

Tree style tabs for one

does pale moon work with firefox extensions? firefox is the only application that runs stutters and has delays on my fresh gentoo install. fucking Blender opens in less than half a second but firefox can't open a new tab that fast.

Most extensions work without problems and if there is a problem, there usually is a fork of it for pale moon.

>firefox gradually degraded to the current unresponsive cpu fucking memory eating piece of retarded nigger shit state
>if nightly builds are any better
Are you retarded?
c: closed road

Midori is extra comfy.

>not using adguard

Nightly uses multiprocessing

as does stable. it all depends on what addons you use.

>more memory eating
>still unresponsive
It can't be fixed without a new engine. And servo is a meme, so don't ask stupid questions until ff switches to webkit.

what about muh waterfox?

can't be sure these days

>3,854,656 users
Of course they will fucking fix it since otherwise they lose 90% of their entire user base

I remember when it was

A list of possible WebExtension replacements would be also nice. For example I think a Tree Style Tabs WebExtension clone already exists.

Adblock Plus has 16,698,172 users :^)

As if they care. All their recent decisions show they don't give a fuck about it.

> memory eating piece of retarded nigger shit
You mean chrome?

Why doesn't Mozilla integrate adblocking into their browser? Almost all, if not all, chromium forks have adblocking. They can just take uBO and somehow integrate it.

No your just stupid.

Mozilla have enough trouble managing their browser.

they're doing lots of things at once: transitioning to e10, adopting parts of servo and transitioning to webextensions. it's a bit messy but they need to do all of this fast or they're ded

Get started user

They're already dead man walking. They have alientated their core audience but won't be able to beat Google on its home turf.

Microsoft Edge doesn't have this problem.

I just noticed how much i hate thunderbirds lack of 2 line message pane..

such a waste of space not having it, fucking bracketed grouped bs.

Might do it when Firefox 57 is released, no point of doing it now though, it isn't even in Nightly iirc.

Is palemoon bad?

Not if you're a furry :^)

Firefox eats loads of ram too
at least chrome/chromium is fast

With Chrome the memory used can be reduced when closing tabs. Firefox gains bloat as you open and close tabs. Its been a fucking decade and they still don't fix that shit.

Webkit is too.

Really man, at this point just call them

>Daily "I hate Firefox, stop using it REEEEEEE" thread

feel free to use it, though. you'll be one of the last to leave the sinking ship

Chrome is basically WebKit.

Basically yes, but it's way bulkier.

Chrome uses blink that was forked from webkit some time ago. Safari uses webkit and you will see quite massive rendering and performance differences between the two.

I am :^)

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Bad analogy. It's more like leaving your wallet on a bar counter with a sticky note that says take what you need and getting angry when people steal your money.

How do we solve the SJW problem rotting firefox from within?

This thread is about gorhill and his addon being frozen because of bugs. Go shill (((chrome))) somewhere else

because of firecuck bugs

In the beta version, as I said, go shill somewhere else

which most likely won't get fixed.

Did the Rabbis tell you what's going to happen in future you pedantic shill?

yes and why would they be wrong>

>webextensions
>extra overhead incurred
what the fuck mozilla

So does this mean no new versions of ublock origin on Firefox, or is it just a separate branch of ublock origin that's being put on hold?

Isn't it the same as firefox but without the botnets?

>gorhill throwing a tantrum
nothing new

>not using the smiley with a cart nose
',:^)

>using the smiley with a carat nose and raised eyebrow

No one?

Anyone know how to check which version of ublock origin you're using? I'm not sure if I'm on the web extensions or xpi version

Just the WebExtension version has been put on hold. The XUL version will be updated as usual.

You're using the XUL version. WebExt is not on AMO.

So will it be safe to not upgrade Firefox until this is guaranteed to be fixed? Since uMatrix and blocking third party scripts on default does offer some security from exploits, no?

It's basically rice: the browser. If you are the type of guy that likes to post in the desktop threads, then you'll probably love it.

Also, it's really easy to contribute to development since most of the official code is submitted via pull requests on github

You will use the XUL version until Fx57 lands. And even then you can keep using XUL version by switching to ESR52. Those issues are strictly for the WebExt version of uB0. It's a completely different addon.

>57
Isn't nightly already on 56? Scary

55, it stayed on 55 another cycle due to removal of Aurora channel.