>and you have the most beautiful GUI that Just Werks

this board is a joke

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Api6dFMlxAA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is compton?

Stand alone compositor

but that looks pretty bad

He basically admitted that he's a skiddie, shit taste is implied.

Some of us grew out of trying to look like 1337 hackers

I found i3 rather lacking, the only wm I've stayed with long term has been Awesome.

Cinnamon can tile and snap windows, but i3 is a nice toy.

I've been using i3 for a year now and never installed it. What does it do exactly because I don't seem to be missing "compositing".

shadows and fade in and screen tearing prevention from what I remember.

Transparent terminal, fade when you switch workspaces, all in all a lot of pretty stuff. Also prevents screen tearing in some situations while scrolling and stuff.

Depends on you're compton.conf file.

But why? When I'm not working inside some jetbrains IDE, tmux already has tiling if I need to use Vim and shell, ditto for Emacs.
In what way would it benefit me to have the DE be tiling all the time?

that looks fucking hideous

vim has a tiling too.
:sp
:vsp

Good point, I use it a lot less, because I usually need some terminal panes and I don't want to frankenplugin my Vim with some kind of builtin terminal.
Of course, I don't open another instance of Vim if I want to edit multiple files at once, it already has splits, tabs and buffers.

What distro is that?

Honestly I only use it because it makes vsync work with my GPU. Any other feature is manchild-tier.

I have arch, i3-gaps, feh, dmenu and compton. It's not an out-of-the-box experience, but you can fine tune everything, and that's fantastic

Exactly.
All DEs also support basic 2 or 4 window tiling, which are the most useful configurations.
I don't see a need for a tiling wm

Use what you want.

Stop wasting Sup Forums megabytes on your gay complaining.

No one fucking cares you autist.

I use tiling for everything, I just don't like windows covered and i3 makes me fullfill my laziness

am I the only person who likes dwm more than i3*

probably.

Also, tmux's C-b sucks

Fair enough, user.

I had dwm for a while, but the suckless style it's too time consuming for me

rebind that shit to C-a

I think Arch as an OS is shit but my laptop runs it anyway.
>want a cheap small laptop with long battery life and linux support
>oh shit this is cheap
>it's a goddamn chromebook (acer c720p)
>ok i'll install a real linux on it apparently that's possible with some steps
>old kernels don't work
>you need to do some stuff to get it to work with new kernels, just installing out of the box won't do
>only place that properly documents this outside of some lacking blog posts is the goddamn archlinux wiki
And that's why. Not because it was 1337 or some shit but because it was simply the one that worked. I know things can break when updated. I don't even prefer Arch, I prefer Debian. But you have to give credit to the wiki. It's great at providing PRACTICAL and USEFUL directions. I wish a less meme distro like Debian or Ubuntu had it (on the same level).

Rest of the post is in the image because too long apparently.

It's really whatever you have running that's shit. Also transparent terminals are kinda gay to me.

Program that makes transparencies work (when you drag images for example), most practically speaking. That's only why I use it. And usually I don't even enable it because on my idling system it's usually near the top of thing that waste power most. And it's good to disable when gaming because it adds extra steps to rendering. It's not really critical.

install xmonad

>literally (two; +infinity) commands:
>sudo pacman -S i3wm
>sudo pacman -S compton
>nothing works
>when you fix it you have the ugliest possible GUI that hardly werks

Tiling is a huge meme and it's completely useless. Layers are just better.

arch is a meme, i3 is not.

i3 can do a container-like layout too

>Danny

i3 is nice; i'm on gentoo, though

lets be real for a second

if you are using i3 or any other DWM you will inevitably have to tack on various ugly bullshit to make it "just werk," for example if you want a nice wifi interface, perhaps with a vpn plugin, instead of using iw and openvpn and other console bullshit, you have to use some cosmetically terrible crap from xfce, clipboard manager? Some ugly-ass icon for that, get ready to type pavucontrol all the time in the terminal if you use a bluetooth or usb headset, in fact anything even remotely convenient looks like shit.

Oh sure, you can set the computer up for a single work environment or usage paradigm and keep it all text, maybe using xclip or some other trash to move text between your web browser and text editor but better to use a real productive environment and drop your leet hacker shit for plasma and the nice thematically consistent convenience tools therein

>for example if you want a nice wifi interface, perhaps with a vpn plugin,
Networkmanager?
I don't get your problem.

Dmenu in i3 it's perfect, autocompletion and quickness.

>"Nice number!"
>"That's a word!"
>"That's a number AND a word!"
Who are you, John Candy?
I read this in his voice, you know.

I don't always tile on my wm

Ubuntu is a literal fucking meme.

Any visual artists use i3? How was your experience? i'm a gnome user

Look it up on arch wiki. Very nice program to add some nice effects for a comfy experience. Pretty lightweight too and fairly simple to configure. Great experience for novice linux users to see how X works to some degree, or at least how it classifies graphical windows by purpose and name etc

I tried manjaro i3 and i3 with bmenu and morc is pretty good

dmenu werks on many wms and some other software including a web browser (the name of which escapes me)

When you're using a computer with no mouse.

what's a skiddie?

>what's a skiddie?
you could've, you know, googled it dozen times while you were waiting for a reply...

I dunno I think Arch is pretty comfy when you have PC good enough that you may switch DEs for when you are alone and can be absolute autismo and when you have friends over and have to display an usable-by-normies DE.

I use I3 because it boosts my productivity (that is, when I'm not ricing the shit out of it, which is like once or twice per month), so I can switch between workstations really quickly and I have maximum usage of workspace. I am now trying I3 graps but I thinking on taking it off. Dunno.

When I have to make my pc usable for my normie friends I have XFCE4 standard with just a little editing on it. It is lightweight and all. I also usee XFCE4 when my head is ablaze and I don't want to be productive at all, just chill and watch movies and youtube or shitpost on Sup Forums.

Besides, the feeling of making your PC from the black screen up is really good. Someday I'll try LFS.

I also have a shit laptop from 2008 because poorfag and I use ubuntu with i3wm on it. Ubuntu because the laptop is so shit I only use it ever so seldomly, and i3wm because it is a must have for lap tops.

>but you can fine tune everything
try using a window manager like xmonad or dwm and you will rethink what "fine tune everything" means

Ubuntu is great.

the logic error makes this perfect

>this board is a joke
pretty sure i3 is accepted here, probably has more percentage of users than most other communities

don't know about arch though, it's been out since 2002 but first time I heard about it was 2010-ish and there was no reason to switch from Debian at that time

>don't know about arch though
go back to r*ddit, faggot

>i3-gaps
Why

I have a cron'd script that does my indicators. But I mostly have wifi and use hardened ssh/ssl for remote access, for the convenience of being device independent. But yeah, configuring both bt and wifi is kinda ass backwards, but I manage.
Copy/paste actually mostly works with plain dwm, st and surf. Yes, I drank all the Koolaid, but it's comfy on my tiny shitbox.

Plasma is nice, just had stability problems with it, when I tried it, so, meh.

eat a b*g of shitting dicknipples, retard

I like a small gap between tiles, with feh that randomize my wallpaper at boot it gives a good visual

cinnamon is literally basicware. at least use GNOME

>i3wm
>most beautiful
>Just Werks
it's literally the exact opposite of those things

wallpaper please

>I like a small gap between tiles,
Literally why

Dunno. I like it, it's a matter of taste

>hey babe can i use the computer for a second?
a phrase you've never heard

there's hope that you will, but only after you've come to the realization that Debian and pic related are the superior choice for your computing needs

My gf use sometime my laptop with arch+i3, so...

have been using i3wm and XFCE for a while now and like it but I am thinking of switching to KDE or GNOME3. Bumped into some programs don't play nice with i3, but they are very few and most work just fine.
I do miss some of the convenient features available on DEs out of the box like a graphical workspace switcher, or peaking at a document/webpage through the scroll bar.
I rarely find myself needing more than 4 tiles, the keyboard shortcuts and tabbed containers and quickly arranging horizontal/vertical split and resizing to my liking without dragging windows and borders around is quite handy though.

what's a skiddie?

youtube.com/watch?v=Api6dFMlxAA

No. Werks on even the crappiest of systems.

>timesink
50 billion autism key bindings to operate and permavirgin bash scripts, color configs, tree layouts etc

meanwhile power users accomplish all of that with a single click

>two hour presentation on window managers
Holy. Shit.

so why the fuck doesnt arch come with an install script

because you don't need one

Try Gentoo

Even OpenBSD isn't that snobbish