/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread:
IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Hp-EliteBook-8770w-i7-3740Qm-2-70-GHz-16-GIG-Ram-1TB-HDD-Nvidia-K3000m-2GIG-DDR5-/192198417796?hash=item2cbfeb1d84:g:rGsAAOSwrhBZKHPg#viTabs_0
amazon.com/Acer-Touch-Windows-Convertible-SP513-51-53FC/dp/B01NH2Z5MX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/FIXED-Middle-Click-Functionality-Disabled-on-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/2131854
laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/ALIENWARE~M14X~R2/
pcsupport.lenovo.com/co/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t440s/downloads
www3.lenovo.com/us/en/
ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-W530-15-5-GFX-K2000M-DISK-180GB-CPU-i7-3840QM-2-8-GHZ-RAM-16GB-6-/122528443053?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do you have any hope for future thinkpad models?
What are they gonna call them once they run out of numbers in the T4xx/T5xx range?

What can I do to get rid of the lettering stickers on the keycaps?

I want a murdered out thinkpad

Acetone

wtc in Mexico?

T4000
T5000
X2000
E4000
E5000
L4000
L5000

I think you get the idea. That, or they stop making Thinkpads because their little Chinese minds can't work out how to renumber them

How often would you get customs charges on something you order from outside Mexico?

Not often, and also it could delay up to 3 - 5 months

would you risk ordering from the US on eBay then?

Hey, how do i disable the touchpad on the T420? Really couldn't find it.

You could just uninstall the driver.

I just need for some short breaks while im playing some games.

fn + f8
use your eyes

You boot into BIOS and disable it.

I know this will melt the keys

ebay.com/itm/Hp-EliteBook-8770w-i7-3740Qm-2-70-GHz-16-GIG-Ram-1TB-HDD-Nvidia-K3000m-2GIG-DDR5-/192198417796?hash=item2cbfeb1d84:g:rGsAAOSwrhBZKHPg#viTabs_0

worth it?

I pressed those, it didn't work. Should i install a driver for those fn keys to work or something?

if you want your shit to work properly then yeah you should probably install the Lenovo drivers

Seems a bit much to me. I bet you could find a comparable Latitude on there for half that price.

the nvidia quadro graphics are not very good for much

a comparable dell would be the Precision M4700, although 15.6" instead of 17"

you won't find one of those for half the price

What? I see Latitudes on eBay all the time with 3xx0QM processors and Nvidia graphics for around 200. How are they not comparable?

Latitude = business laptop
Precision = workstation

T-series = business laptop
W-series = workstation

Elitebook -p = business laptop
Elitebook -w = workstation

What is this terrible catalog image?
What is that font? That g is fucked up

Can you elaborate on the difference between the two?

no

The battery life on my T420 will suddenly jump down from maybe 50-60% to like 7. I checked with batteryinfoview and lenovos own software and the battery (OEM, btw) should be in good health with over 90% of the original capacity left. What could be wrong?

run a battery gauge reset

Lol. Sounds like you feel for the marketing my dude. With these machines, the spec sheet is what matters and if the specs are the same, they are comparable.
>neo/g/

i got an t430, bought a hd+ screen, installed it this evening and the picture is fucked, do i need a different video cable than the stock one for the hd screen?

right, go ahead and compare a Latitude E6530 and Precision M4700/M6700 spec sheets

if you went from 1366x768 to 1600x900 then yes you need a new cable as well

Found the option, will try later.

Anyone know if eDP screen upgrades need a new cable? I know LVDS does.

I'm going from HD to FHD on my x240 once the display arrives. From what I've read it's a drop-in and no need to replace cable, but I'd like to confirm if I need to order one before it arrives.

ok thanks, it does display a picture, but the resolution is fucked, will have to wait a few more weeks to enjoy my t430

generally, a workstation has a more powerful CPU, larger screen, dGPU (or a more powerful one), and less battery life than a Business Laptop

Think of a Business Laptop as being something you take into a meeting to present a slideshow on, and a Workstation being something you take to different offices to run simulations or VMs on

If the item costs ≥$50 including shipping and other fees, you pay 16% of the transaction's price

You might be able to look up the datasheet for the two monitors, and compare the cable pinouts to see if they're the same. Also make sure you remember to pull the battery, I don't know how eDP looks, but with LVDS the pins are so close together that if you pull it out or plug it in at a slight angle, it will short pins and blow a fuse (if battery is plugged in).

might be worth ordering a laptop from US eBay then

>x220t touchscreen is wigging out, phantom touches
>reinstall drivers, pen doesn't work anymore and phantom touches increase tenfold
>reboot
>now touch doesn't work but pen does

this may become problematic, the wacom/windows/lenovo drivers are all over the place

It might be, although some sellers say "no, fuck u spics XD" and don't ship here.
Although I've read somewhere that there are mail providers that can provide you with an address in the US, such as Redpost or Estafeta Members. I don't really know if DHL has a service like that, too, but if it did it would be my personal go-to. DHL is great.

>no fuck u spics XD

It's because you don't have a good track record of successful deliveries.
I don't really blame them.
They're shipping things that represent several weeks pay to the average mexican, why the fuck wouldn't you steal mail?

Plus, ebay is absolutely hostile to sellers now, if you can even lie that your package never arrived or isn't exactly like the listing and you'll have your money back 100% of the time and you get to keep the item too.
This is a good thing for buyers, naturally.
I run an ebay store, I don't ship internationally anymore.

is it really that bad

I have pretty low Ebay feedback and was about to throw a ThinkPad for sale on Ebay

but if chances of getting nigged are high then I guess I'll stick to local sales

make sure you have proof of delivery
I don't know if this works internationally, though.

Does anyone have a link to TPmiddle v0.6?

The only thing that doesn't work on my x220 with Win10 is middle click and v0.7 isn't working. Thanks

is leddit steering me right?
amazon.com/Acer-Touch-Windows-Convertible-SP513-51-53FC/dp/B01NH2Z5MX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

going to use it for studying, note taking, coding, minimal gaming, general browsing, etc

I did this registry edit and it fixed it for me.

forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/FIXED-Middle-Click-Functionality-Disabled-on-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/2131854

no, read the OP

Thanks, works perfectly!

Which sucks, because of some random lowlife piece of shit cartel wannabe now we're fucked and some sellers won't ship because they fear that it will get hijacked along the way.
I can't really blame them, but it burns me that I see BINs of e.g. X200's for just $20 with just HDD, HDD caddy, adapter and battery missing and I cannot buy them because sorry no international shipping, go suck a dik.
I'll try with those services, though, and see if I can actually make a deal, though I'm not sure if the addresses they give you count as P.O. boxes, because there's also sellers who won't ship to P.O. boxes, either, for mostly obvious reasons...

How much would it be for an x62 board and the additional board for the tablet functionality of an x61t?

Has someone upgraded a T430 with this?

laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/ALIENWARE~M14X~R2/

Fucking stock screen sucks

i see option for matte. is that for real? no fucking way will i touch glossy.

got a thinkpad without OS, now what?
where do I get the drivers for this shit

Glossy is wheres at bruh

pcsupport.lenovo.com/co/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t440s/downloads

If you're a windows faggot

>If you're a windows faggot
and if I wanna use linux?

also, new kendrick sucked

www3.lenovo.com/us/en/

click support button, update drivers button

get your serial number off bottom of laptop, put it in there

if you want to use linux then everything just works out of the box, sorta, if it doesn't work you will spend hours googling trying to learn how to make thing work properly

How do you search for a motherboard's original specifications? I got the FRU number but I don't know where to put it.

It's a hardware issue with the device when it's working
chinknovo didn't do shit about it
then 99% of them are built in minus the wifi drivers, and you'd google the rest
have you not used linux before?

kk, only used linux on pc.

any news on the retro project?

this. Im in USA, and the only place on the planet I dont ship is Mexico. The only negative feedback Ive ever received was from Mexico. They kept crying that it was taking too long to receive, then when they did finally get it they went straight to leaving me negative veedback claiming it didnt work, which is BS as I thoroughly test what I sell.

Will running
PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 RAM a
ffect my performance/battery life in anyway versus
PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 ?

This is for a ThinkPad X220

...no
It's the voltage that will, and that's only like 1-2 minutes on average

RAM is always active, that's how it works

you can get low-voltage RAM but even then the power savings are negligible in real world scenarios, but it may be easier on the system long-term

I know the 1600MHz will be defaulted to 1333, but will it run significantly differently from running a standard 1333MHz?

Found some 2x4gb 1600MHz for cheap

at the very worst the ram wont like running at a different base clock and it wont work
but that's extremely rare and only seems to have happened to one of the sticks of ram in my desktop

Purchase request template: Yes
Budget: Ideally $300 AUD, can rise to 400 if really necessary
Size: Not too fussed really
Performance: Light gayming and general anime watching.
Other requirements: Nothing really, just a pretty standard poorfag shitposting laptop.

Just from lurking here for a while I was thinking probably a T420 or a T430 but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Also would be helpful to know what other australians have paid for such machines.

what's light gaming

You can always get an external gfx card for heavier gaming use

I'm thinking of getting a w500 and installing arch or debian on it

go wild

I was kind of expecting someone to call me a fucking retard and condemn me for my decision and possibly recommend a better choice

Replying to you from mine using that screen. There's no matte option, they'll send you a "compatible" panel.

You will need an LVDS to eDP, unfortunately, the chinese modders arent selling them anymore.

Mine actually arrives on friday or sat. I dont mind glossy, colors usually look better anyway.

yur a retard.

Feel better?

If you have a T420 and want the fingerprint reader, do you just replace the palm-rest with a palm-rest that has the fingerprint reader ? Is that all there is to it ?

Also is Ubuntu plug and play with a T420 ?

Moody?.....Is that you?

What's a fair price for this?

ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-W530-15-5-GFX-K2000M-DISK-180GB-CPU-i7-3840QM-2-8-GHZ-RAM-16GB-6-/122528443053?

max 600 ideally less than 500
It's already at 330 after shipping so no way in hell it would fall under the 600 mark.

>W520
>1920x1080
>4GB RAM
>NVIDIA Quadro 2000M
>i7 2720QM
>150GB SSD (Intel)
>$300, free shipping
Did I strike gold with this buy?

bretty damn good
I got one with the 1000m, 1600x900, some hdd, and 1 gig of ram (lol) for 250 minus the psu.
Do you have it yet?
Could you tell me if the gpu throttles under load? (cpu and gpu load)
I tried playing gta 5 on it when I first got it and man was that gpu not having it

not unless you recommend a better choice.

not him but t420
no reason to get a w series if you are just going to run linux and have gimped to shit graphics

It arrived today, and I installed 16GB of RAM because why the fuck not. My y410p had constant issues with the lack of RAM at 8GB and the HDD speed was too slow. The GPU doesn't seem to throttle but I don't really make heavy usage of it. Plan to use it for VM fun.

>1GB RAM
>GTA5

not him.
So, i really want to get a thinkpad but it needs to be able to do 4k video editing.
could you recommend me anything? how's w550?

Obviously I upgraded it
It has 32 gigs of ram in it now and I use it as an esxi server
w550 (no s) has a dualcore cpu and a pretty good gpu
w541 is probably what you want since it has a quadcore cpu and the same gpu as the w550s

currently own an x230t, my first thinkpad

i was originally looking for an x230, but i wanted both the IPS and the i7, which i couldn't find on a regular model, so i went with the x230t which was roughly the same price. i now feel this was a mistake as i don't really need, use or want the touch screen. the t model is a fair bit bulkier than the regular x230, and it can not take a 9-cell battery, both of which are important considerations for me.

beyond that, however, the x230t has met my needs quite well and i believe the x230 would do the same (though i might have to compromise on the IPS to get the i7). with that said, are there any other devices i should consider? the Real Business Experience™ is important to me, namely serviceability (i intend to add an SSD and will likely replace the battery). basically just a 12-13" thinkpad-quality laptop with x230 level specs at a similar price.

checked
and thanks for the recommendation.

i want a 15.6" full HD thinkpad that can take 4k video editing like a champ. i am never going back to 14". i guess w series is 15.6", which i'll obviously google right now after i post this reply.

is there something in particular that i should be looking forward to in a video editing laptop?
>inb4 gpu
>inb4 more cores in he cpu
ok, but anything else? how much RAM?

At minimum 8gb ram, ideally 16.
Ideally one big ssd, but a smaller ssd + a hard drive would be fine just be damn sure you have an ssd in it.
Other than that it really depends on the software you use, and if it's more cpu or gpu heavy.

im pretty sure the performance increase would be neligible but okay

Are you retarded?

How much is too much for X220 with 2520M Core i5, 4 GB of RAM and 500GB HDD?

I payed $80 for an hp2760p with the same CPU, 8GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD.
And it's a tablet convertible.

I'd say you should aim for that.

>hp2760p
Why is it better than X220?

It's not, it's just different. It's like a x220t, with pen input, but smaller (close to x220 sizes and not t420 sizes like the x220t). It also doesn't accept mSATA SSDs.

Why is it cheap then?

>gee dream thinkpad
>not 4:3 flexview
fucking dropped

Because I got lucky and because HP (and Dell) business latops tend to be cheaper than Thinkpads, because they are less shilled.

Daily Reminder:
X220 is the comfiest laptop for sofa shit posting.