I'm getting into the buying-refurbished-business-grade-computers-for-super-low-prices scene and it's making me smug as...

I'm getting into the buying-refurbished-business-grade-computers-for-super-low-prices scene and it's making me smug as hell.

I've been looking at old Dell T3500 workstations as a gaming/heavy use machine, and you can get a ridiculously competent spec for around £100, then just source a 2nd hand GPU on la cheap.
Why doesn't everybody do this? It almost feels wrong because people are spending so much money.

its easier to window shop and think about how things fit into your "personal image" than it is to learn

-what components a computer has
-how these components work
-what the components must be capable of in order to do what you need
-What your components are capable of in comparison with older components

macs being
>"le pricey facebook machine for muh coffeh house"
isn't entirely untrue. But it's the same as
> "DAMMM DIS ALIENWARE IS so! FRICKIN SIKKKKKK"
or even
>"this is a bisnuienss glas labtob komgupter!:DDDDDD CHINKNOOVOHEHE"

branding is powerful.

I refurbish so many old Dells from my work that Im practically the Optiplex Whisperer

Holy fucking shit
this is amazing

this just in -- the t3500 will be the newly shilled workstation
get em while they're hot

Where're you looking. I've seen some good deals but nothing mad.

Just ebay, and reading about s1k d34lz on build blogs.

quad-core @ 3.6 GHZ, 12 GB RAM for $150
that's a steal
add a $60 graphics card and that's good enough for most things, especially on a budget

Not everyone is poor. There are people who have a job and earn money.

Exactly my point. why doesn't this hot sell like shit cakes.

The old high-tier hardware sucks electricity like no tomorrow

It can easily add 50€/$ to your monthly energy bill

sorry to hear the big botnet in the sky got you

For me, I got a used x220 for dirt cheap that was fucking amazing for 6 months then the display self-destructed. The repair cost I was quoted was almost as much as getting another x220 so I just got a new xps 13 which has been working good for almost 2 years now

surely not enough to offset the savings. and after upgrading components incrementally

>not paying a flat fee for utilities then edging the top limit
cmon bruh

6 months is all I need before I get bored and find a new machine to jerk off over

Got any tips on what to look for in an optiplex? Would it make a good main desktop?

Does the processor support VT-d VT-x or AES-NI?

>130 watts

Nigga pls

Avoid the ones with the 97% failure rate

>Why doesn't everybody do this? It almost feels wrong because people are spending so much money.

People do this all the time, but with thinkpads because they age much better.

So why not old, high end workstations? The dell box is akin to refurb server, only in desktop case. Power efficiency is *seriously* shit, the xeon inside is old and useless LGA1366. Did I mention ECC only DDR3 too?

And these are still usually sold for >2.5x more than OP lies about.

Find something with an X5650 instead. More power, better thermals, and better on electricity. I'd probably go for an HP Z800 instead.

I pull the CPUs and put them in boards that'll overclock instead. You can slam the shit out of some CPUs.

Things to note are that single thread performance is pretty whatever by modern standards and that these things guzzle once you start working them.

Pic related should draw about 200 watts at full load with a mild overclock. Better than what it is replacing and it'll almost never be running like that, but things to be aware of

>old and useless LGA1366
>ECC only DDR3

What makes it useless? Still seems like some of the best value for money you can get.

Brielfy looked at a Z800 and the price point seems way higher

Also get about three times the power.

I won't even look at my electricity bill anymore.
House sitting a house so rent free. Theres chest freezers, a trickle charger for a motorbike and we are required to heat the place to 14c. Also my pc.
Im pretty sure our bill was like $300nzd but I don't want to know.

Refurbished business laptop and new and/or used component custom desktop build with ex-business workstations repurposed as servers as necessary master race.

so like all of them? ime, dells do not age well at all. i don't care how much you baby them or are careful about what you are installing and doing, within a year or two it will be the slowest piece of shit ever that nothing will help. except maybe a ssd, but that helps anything.