/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
OnePlus 5 will have 8GB of RAM, Amazon India says
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_will_have_8gb_of_ram_amazon_india_says-news-25472.php

Moto Z2 stops by Geekbench to prove it has the Snapdragon 835 and 4GB of RAM
gsmarena.com/moto_z2_stops_by_geekbench_to_prove_it_has_the_snapdragon_835_and_4gb_of_ram-news-25473.php

ZTE announces the V870 mid-ranger
gsmarena.com/zte_announces_the_v870-news-25423.php

OnePlus 5 will be thinner than its predecessors, could be unveiled June 20
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_will_be_thinner_than_its_predecessors_could_be_unveiled_june_20-news-25419.php

Nokia 3, 5 and 6 arriving in Finland tomorrow
gsmarena.com/nokia_3_5_and_6_arriving_in_finland_tomorrow-news-25417.php

Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) pops up on Amazon, might be announced today
androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-j5-2017-might-announced-today-777474/

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

noa-mobile.eu/store/product/noa-h10le/
kimovil.com/
uscellular.com/)
download.lineageos.org/klteusc
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/598z5o/us_cellular_says_google_pixel_will_not_work_on/
xda-developers.com/lg-bootloop-lawsuit-adds-nexus-5x-lg-g5-v20-case/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_smartphone_bootloop_issues
leeco.re/forum/225-aosp-cm-rr-mokee/
p.teknik.io/PpG3m
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's your favorite messaging app for SMS?

Since I came too much late, I bump these.

Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7?

US, Verizon. Currently own an S5.

Were you happy with your S5?
What were your complaints?
What do you want to see fixed with a new device?

I want a chinkphone, but do any of them work on any US carriers other than AT&T or Tmobile?

I'm currently on my dad's Verizon plan, and he says he'll start charging me $30 a month after this summer. I hate their phone selection though and kind of want to just go full retard with Republic, or Google Fi. (are these meme networks?)

So long as it's an apple iPhone you know it's going to be an excellent product; but as a general rule, the newer--the better.

Ignore droidfags at all costs.

U11, op5, essential or one of the Nokias seem better than those two.

What was the worst or the most disappointing phone you guys had?

Let's have little buyers remorse

$0.02 have been assigned to your Apple ID

HTC One M8, was pretty ok but then the battery fucked up and would turn off at 30%

also LG Bootloop4

For me it was the Galaxy S4 Black Edition I9515

Since it was a slightly different version there was no custom rom support and Samsung fucked up their Lolipop making a once great phone a buggy slow nightmare with 2 hours of sot

Was meant to reply to that, fug

What do you think of NOA H10?

Is there any good dual sim phones out there?

I'm coming from the standard Moto G4, but because I don't want to carry 2 phones, I was thinking of upgrading to the G4+, I'm open to options though.

I would be using a sim from Mexico and one from the US if it matters.

>Android 6.0

I don't work for Apple unfortunately
And I'm not wrong

Yeah, sure, it isn't latest.
However, the limited edition comes with 7.1.1.

Then it looks extremely generic to me and I don't want to support the idea to pay extra for a newer version of Android

Any info about the price of E edition? Can't find it anywhere on their eshop.

The normie H10 costs $400. Kinda pricey for noname russian brand, but the specs seem to be worth it, except the dual camera retardation.

poorfag here

what's the best phone i can get for $50?
$100?

The fancy edition apparently also comes with AMOLED and larger storage.

>$50
forget it, you will get only garbage for that price, unless buying used

>$100
either total chinkshit (see /csg/), or a brand bottombin just hair above it, huawei/lenovo ~2014 models

noa-mobile.eu/store/product/noa-h10le/
The H10le is 399 euro, pre-ordered. I think the reason for their prices is that they're fairly new and still small. I believe they're Croatian (?) but not entirely certain.

It's like a millimetre thinner as well, if you're into that kind of stuff.

I was reasonably satisfied with it. But the camera is shit by today's standards. Also it's very slow and laggy.

I'm leaning towards the S8. The only thing tempting about the iPhone 7 is the whole imessage thing.

on flippa i mean

Check out kimovil.com/

Maybe look out for those prepaid carrier locked phones, they're usually way cheaper because of their lock

Or take a look at the upcoming Moto C phones or the Moto G/E which prices drop a lot

>unless buying used
yeah, i meant to specify that.

Don't lock yourself into iMessage, it's generally not a good idea since I know many people that want, but can't switch to Android because of their contacts on iMessage

>OP5 or LG G6?

Which phone is likely to be better? I am incredibly reluctant about the G6 due to the bootloop. The S8 is super pretty but i don't like all the bloat and is also quite a bit more expensive than the 2 listed. HTC U11 is one of the ugliest phones i have ever seen. What other options do i have?

You're probably right. But the green bubble memes have worn away at me over the years and sometimes I just want to be a normie.

Bamp

Also, I'm considering both the Moto G5 plus and the Nexus 6p if I go the republic/fi route, which of these is better? I see a lot of praise for the G5+ in /spg/ but not a lot about the 6p.

I just got a redmi note 4. Is it necessary to root it?

sorry meant to say bootloop in my G4

Oneplus for sure

What carrier are you on?

Used the 6P for like 6 months and it's a pretty cool device, only thing that sucks monster hog is the battery life. Never used the G5 but Motorola devices are usually super reliable.

As a general rule (but iphones seem to be exception), used android phones depreciate by half each year. So used phone from 2014 should cost 1/5 of original price, ie if it costs $250 originally, 50 bucks should cover it now.

How about replacing your battery and a custom rom?

I want her to be my wife in real life :(

Redmi Note 4

I have verizon and I'm looking to upgrade my phone. I have a galaxy S7 right now but the battery is starting to lose it's charge quicker and my games are stuttering. With the upgrade plan, price isn't a problem but I'm not really sure what my options are outside of ishit and android. Biggest problems I have with the S7 are video stutter when running apps fullscreen, notifications also semi-freeze the screen with other apps open when they pop up. Also not sure if it's an S7/samsung problem or android in general but if I don't system update, it reminds me every day until I do it and if I haven't updated in around 2 weeks it disables my fast charge until I do. I also have no way to disable the notifications, so it's always pinned to the home screen.

I've used an iphone in the past but with it's constant sign-in, sign-up, use this shit app to play gifs, not being compatible with certain apps, etc. it was just all around annoying. Though at the same time every other app on android wants you to sign in with google which I currently have to work around to not use on my S7. I want something with better hardware than what I got but allows me to cutomize freely without having to sell my info to google or apple. I'm currently looking through phones online but what should I look out for/avoid?

I've had this phone since it launched in April 2014 so I think it's time to get a new phone.

In my research, the V20 is more multimedia focused phone so it has photo and video going for it over the G6 except for the wide angle camera, thats the only thing the G6 has going for it.
The G6 is better all around besides that.
I'm sort of leaning towards the V20 myself but I want to make sure theres nothing else to consider besides the two going from a G4.

>unlocked bootloader
I was considering this as an upgrade, but this alone really puts me off

Sorry
>locked bootloader
lol

what's the best custom rom for the redmi note 4

Moto g4 play

gotta drop the lurker status and ask, why you dislike chinkphones /spg/?

How much more battery-friendly is Lineage 14 over CM13?

How do they compare if I have xposed with paid Greenify, paid Amplify, and Power Nap on CM13?

How do I purchase this phone? I'm on their website and am not finding any store or shop options.

Also, these specs seem pretty high; what's it cost?

Wow great op off to a good start.

I'd buy it if it was waterproof and had expandable memory and removable battery.

No xposed on Nougat
Your setup will trash Lineage at this point because of that, but without that consideration, lineage is better on 64 bit hardware. 32 bit is a tossup, depends on the processor and device.

>No xposed on Nougat
I know, that's the reason I'm not certain which I should use.

The device is a Moto G4 Play (which as of now doesn't have the N update on stock, if it makes a difference), so SD410

I don't, but I'm American and on T-Mobile so most of them are useless for me. That and I like a decent camera.

Any opinions on Moto X Pure (2015)?

Me personally, I'm fucking SICK of this phone. Thing is though, the hardware's not even really outdated yet, but Moto's been jerking us around holding this imaginary Nougat update over our heads since last fucking year. They're saying now it should come late June or early July, but honestly who knows.

I'm at my wit's end with this thing, but I don't really want to upgrade yet...should I just stick it out for another month until the Nougat OTA comes out?

410 is 64 bit, iirc. Go with Lineage. The added benefits of Nougat are worth it IMO, and the anemic processor means great battery's other way

Moto X play got it today, you probably don't have much longer to wait

Just checked into it, looks like it's based on the Cortex A53 which is 64, so Lineage it is. (Or still is - I just put Lineage on it today but had CM13 downloaded too) Thanks for the info regarding how the two ROM's handles the different architecture, I didn't know Lineage is notably better with 64-bit.

Is being on M that much of a problem? I know the promise of an update that isn't arriving can be a bit frustrating but you make it sound like torture.

6p has terrible battery life. About 5 hrs SOT. Which is a shame cause it's a pretty good phone otherwise

So my LG g4 finally crapped out on me with the bootloop shit.

which is the best bang for buck flagship these days.

camera quality and SD card are what's most important to me

I tried to research how networks and carriers cover different bands and all, and I think this will work on 3g at&t, but I have seen conflicting info and the k10000pro isn't on willmyphonework.

Network:
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz

can someone who knows their shit confirm? I'm about to pull the trigger on this.

I know, which is why it's ridiculous that a phone that came out a month before the Pure is now getting the update before it. But yes I sure hope that means it's coming soon...
Well M isn't good enough for me as I like the new emojis, plus all the little stuff like removed paste delay, etc. aside from that I just like having the latest OS. The problem is I've been keeping the AICP nightly builds (based on Lineage) on it and since we don't have the official N drivers and stuff (is this what people mean when they say "blobs"?) snapchat is wonky, there's random crippling slowdowns, and everything is just less than desirable at times, it feels like an incomplete phone.

Which, I guess, it is. But damn I just can't believe it's June of 2017 and their flagship baby is still on 6.0.

What are we expecting out of the Pixel 2?

i want the lenovo p2 but why did they fuck up the camera so bad, the video recording looks like someone is shivering at -30C and pressed record, is it really worth £200 or is there something better at that price, i usually only go for stuff below 5.5 inches but that battery life makes me wet

is the oneplus 5 going to be the best phone under $550? will it be worth it?

I'm kinda drawn to the nokia 6 despite it being well below my budget limit. how big of a deal will the old specs/no usbc/etc be?

So my mobile just died and I need to go find a new one today in time for my flight later today.
Any phones out there which have a decent camera to take pictures while on holiday and decent hardware so I can play games on it for about £150 or below? Extra points if it has a decent battery life too.

hi so I'm still rocking a nearly 3 year old phone (Moto X 2014)
I unlocked the bootloader and threw Pure Nexus on it
it's starting to show its' age though, and I'd like an update
Obviously, the OnePlus 5 is one of the first few phones on my mind
problem is my CDMAids carrier (uscellular.com/) only allows "authorized/whitelisted" devices on to the network
I've been thinking of switching to a different abandoned flagship, the S5/kflte and throwing lineage or something on there - which has official support: download.lineageos.org/klteusc
Any other suggestions?

I've thought about other cheaper options, like the V20, 5X/6P, but I heard they had the same issue - not network approved and bootloop problems
Maybe a G4? Motorola seems kinda dodgy, after Google sold them off to Lenovo their after-sale software support has been very so-so

Avoid the G4, as it has serious bootloop issues. God forbid you're in Canada, since the Canadian version of the G4 does not have an unlockable bootloader.

The Moto, not LG, g4 has serious bootloop issues?
I hadn't heard anything

No, it's fine.
They're confusing Moto and LG.

Ah I meant the LG G4 (since you mentioned the V20 beforehand). The Moto G4 is probably fine.

so unless anybody else has other suggestions, the older generation flagship (S5) w/a custom ROM sounds like the best option to me
other approved devices include the G4, J3, K5, V20
If I did get a OP5 or some other device, there's reports of people calling up customer service and telling them it's some whitelisted device and that working
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/598z5o/us_cellular_says_google_pixel_will_not_work_on/
I could just get a 5X/6P/Pixel through Project Fi, but 10/GB is pretty expensive

Not the user you're responding to, but is the G5 any improvement on the G4? I was just looking at it..

G5 also has reported bootloop issue
xda-developers.com/lg-bootloop-lawsuit-adds-nexus-5x-lg-g5-v20-case/
save yourself the trouble and avoid anything LG has their hands on

My LG G4 bricked today. Won't turn on no matter what.

I need to upgrade my phone. I'm from Canada and I'm with Rogers. It looks like my choices are the following:
Huawei P10
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S7
Pixel?????
iPhone 6S/7?????
I use it for Spotify and to occasionally take pictures. I also use reddit. Which one would you recommend

A phablet, ideally at least 6 inches that can use a stylus, same type as Note 4 - I'm in Ireland so I'd probably just have to buy an unlocked one. Specs don't matter so long as it's at least as good as a Note 4.

Bootloop is only a problem when running custom apps right?

no
hardware issue
unfixable
if you send it in for warranty, they'll send you one back with the exact same problem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_smartphone_bootloop_issues

With Google Assistant coming to all android smartphones, is it worth rejecting the Pixel over privacy concerns?

check
leeco.re/forum/225-aosp-cm-rr-mokee/

5X/6P/Pixel?
5X and 6P have bootloop issues because LG, but Pixel is fucked up in dev support because of that weird double partition update/verity scheme

Ah right. I should probably steer clear of that then. I thought it looked decent and was in my price range so I thought it would have been suitable. If I can't find a phone around the £150 price range with a decent camera and decent hardware for app usage then I'm probably gonna get the pixel on contract for £43 a month...

if you want to be a jew you can sign up for service with project fi then cancel it
that way you don't get service from them, but you can still have the monthly device paymeny

hey /spg/

Thinking about the P10 Plus, thoughts?

Rogers, Canada

Use my phone for taking pictures once in a while, podcasts, spotify, and email/calendar/etc

Zuk Z2. Had to return that faulty piece of shit twice

hey so for the curious unlimited data on project fi might be a thing eventually
p.teknik.io/PpG3m

My OPO I've had since day one finally got trashed, should I get a Oneplus 3T or a LG G6 used? They're both $500

eyy so I fucked up and left my name and zip in
oops

You should easily get a new G6 for $500

Or just wait for the OP5

As cool as that sounds, I need the phone today since I'm flying out on holiday later and need a phone to keep in contact with people.
Also, since I'm due my upgrade and my phone just happened to brick itself the day of my flight I figured I'd just buy a half decent phone and keep it for a few years.

What's the best chink phone that works in US with TMobile under $150?

Is anyone here using the mi5s? It just got lineageos and the price is pretty good for what you get. Any experiences?

just give it to me straight.
A phone you would recommend for ~150$/€
Purpose is to replace an ancient iphone of a family member, that stops working half the time.

noa-mobile.eu/store/product/noa-h10le/ here you go senpai

HIS NAME IS /POO/NAM
## >> P O O

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Huawei P8 Lite 2017
Samsung Galaxy A3 2016, but it has a rather small battery
Asus Zenfone 2
Huawei Honor 6A