When will there be a new competitor?

When will there be a new competitor?

there already is, in the server space

Maybe in 50years when amazon gets bored with movies and selling.
Or when AI of google will make better architecture [10->10000years]

ARM, IBM, etc.

ARM I'd starting to take over a bit, and maybe we'll get some RISC V action someday as well

s/I'd/is

Amazon is operating at a net operative loss since forever

So is AMD.

Both are still well alive.

:^)

right that's why AMD can't open up a mass distribution system from the ground up

desktop vendors don't take the former seriously and the latter doesn't take desktops seriously, just because they exist don't mean they compete

x86 is proprietary. otherwise there would have been competitors besides via

On paper

this, i wouldn't invest in them personally but they're fkn huge

Id say ARM has won as far as competition goes. Their devices are narrowing the gap between mobile and desktop. We'll soon see x86 melt into only specialty desktops (legacy development) and servers. Once there it is just a downward spiral. It has happened before with many competing architectures. DEC Alpha comes to mind and power pc and whatever apple was using etc.

this

theres a new space that will become as important as CPU: TPU. Tensor Processing Units

watch

>will become as important as CPU
no

ARM isn't a hardware vendor.
You could say someone like Qualcomm is closest to being real competition, but they're not in the desktop space yet. Not until they start flooding the market with Windows 10 devices running Qualcomm SoCs.

cloud computing niggu

Hmmm i dunno m8, can they do 3+ TFLOPS of FP64 using less than 300 watts like intel can with their xeon phis? Heard those things are going in a supercomputer or some shit.

none of those hipster RISCs were ever at all comparable to the current situation with x86, they died because they were shit and nobody who actually paid for them liked them to begin with, not simply because of market demographics

>Not until they start flooding the market with Windows 10 devices running Qualcomm SoCs.
yeah that will flop just like RT shitbricks because nobody wants a bottom of the barrel windows system that sucks shit at running windows software

tensor is a literal marketing meme term

other than machine learning/"AI" type stuff i don't see it. care to explain? TPUs seem even more specific than GPUs, so if a server is mainly/solely using CPUs i don't see them making the switch so TPUs

A "TPU" is pretty much nothing other than a fast and sloppy GPU that does quarter precision ops. Generic GPUs will probably evolve to accomplish the same thing. Specific ASICs will always be the best tool for the job, but realistically no one is going to foot the bill for something on such a massive scale when an off the shelf part is capable of doing the same thing.

>post yfw VIA comes out with a 4.5ghz 10 core x86 worldbeater

Stop skipping math lectures retard

it's literally a google brand

>xeon phis

ARM for desktop is soon to be true.

>VIA
>latest arch is still slower per clock than AMD's Jaguar from 2011 and Baytrail Atoms
>have an 8core part
>only 2ghz~ clocks
>pretty much impossible to find outside of China

They'll never accomplish anything other than selling basic web machines, and making dedicated government systems with proprietary Chinese government instruction extensions.

>he doesn't know it's a tax loophole gimmick

Bezos is playing 23dimensional chess.

>Ipad Pro w/pencil & keyboard

checkm8

>no software
>lower perf/core than Nehalem
It's like Atoms but without BC and software.

New Qualcomm chips run Windows 10, albeit in 32bit only apparently.

through an emulation layer, so it'll be even slower

And waste more battery than a native X86 chip, but progress is progress.

You might be underestimating how much cash, time, and the human resources you need to build an operation on that scale

IBM is dying a slow death.

And yet they are still alive.

They are a restructuring and shrinking company. Dying? I don't think so.
No one drinking from the fountain of youth known as tax money dies. That'd be like Lockheed Martin dying, it just won't happen.

marketing isnt math mong

i hate this fucking cunt so much

ARM 4-5 years later.

But has ibm tapped into the power of hookers and blow like lockmart?

Is there any chance we'll see a change when quantum computers become a thing?

They just keep dying since WWII

>NVIDIA
>server space
Lmao enjoy some 10% marketshare. GPUs will be forever irrelevant for 90% of the server market.

>ASIC
>as importan as the CPU
Please be bait.

>he doesn't know about the GPU parallelization meme CS people are falling for as we speak

not all problems can be parallelized to the extent that using a GPU instead of a CPU makes any sense

>ever failing for GPU meme

>He doesn't know about GPU latency in realtime applications.

Just because your shitty games only require ~60hz doesn't mean other applications do.