This design is engineering nirvana. They should use it as the basis for the modular Mac Pro...

This design is engineering nirvana. They should use it as the basis for the modular Mac Pro, since it looks like it's already 95% of the way there.

>Swap chassis for upgraded buses, higher bandwidth
>Swap mobo/CPU combo board all at once since nobody exchanges just one on tower rigs anyways
>Swap GPUs for better FP throughput
>Swap IO module for more USB-C, etc.
>RAM already swappable

Then we get the benefits this machine has over existing tower desktops.

>Better thermals with just one fan (and thus better power consumption)
>Compact and hideable
>Lots of IO

And even if the parts are nonstandard, that's a chance for Apple to manufacture ready-made parts that are checked and approved, typical of their walled garden.

Why wouldn't this be great?

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175994/apple-mac-pro-failure-admission
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>trashcan pro
lul.

New Mac Pro will be rectangular. It will have PCIe slots. It will have SATA ports. It will have a modular design with plenty of cooling options.

It will look nothing like a cylindrical Mac Pro.

didn't this thing have really bad airflow because of its retarded design?

One would hope, but Cook doesnt care about the high end/power users.

theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175994/apple-mac-pro-failure-admission

>since it looks like it's already 95% of the way there
Good job, you know literally nothing about what went into the design of the current mac pro or why its an unusable, non-servicable piece of shit.
Which is why they're completely scrapping that awful fucking design.

The SIG P250/320 exist. Ultrabook Thinkpads exist. I'm pretty sure they can make the trashcan serviceable with some engineering smarts. You obviously won't be there to help.

That thing literally caused the CPU to overheat and constantly thermal throttle to like 1 GHz.

t. ex-trashcan user

the slow radeon cf ruined this mac pro...

It would just require more and more proprietary bullshit that apple can just stop selling whenever it likes forcing you to just buy a new one.
If you want something to be serviceable just use standard components, stopping short of a standard motherboard/PSU is expected but at least have the ability to swap Hard drives. SSDs, ram, video cards with off the shelve parts and make upgrading CPUs easy

>I just realized that iMac Pro will throttle constantly

Didn't help the 3.5GHz capable processor throttled to 2GHz.

Fuck man, if I wanted laptop performance I'd get a laptop.

The mac pro was one of apple's most embarrassing products released. GOD FORBID you ran the CPU and the GPU at the same time.

>2 tiny laptop fans to cool an 18-core processor and a top end VEGA GPU
Is apple just fucking with us now?

>$200 HP HTPC took Apple's flagship garbage can and perfected it

Really made me think.

I don't think theres any chance the CPU will be upgradeable, even the old tower Mac Pros didn't really have a user upgradeable CPU. Hell, even if you wanted full GPU functionality you had to buy one of their special flashed ones or deal with no boot options.

This is low power pc... not relevant..

you and I both know that they not even close to the same thing

The HP doesnt have to cool a Quad-core + Intel Xeon or a dedicated gpu

CPUs where upgradeable in the Mac pro towers it just didn't use the usual Intel socket and you had to be extra careful swapping it and the unflashed video card thing can be fixed if apple just makes there UEFI less autistic

This is when he know the news that wtc is being attacked by sandnigger right?

Yes, but with the smile filter applied.
>We didn't even know what technological marvels we'd see today would even be back then.

They've already said this design isn't upgradeable because they designed it too closely for that specific heat load.

Should I buy one of these? Will it make me happy?

Yes
Yes

>Overpay
>Proprietary operating system with zero security, tons of backdoors, and the ability to dualboot windows because windows is better :^)
>Can't upgrade anything besides ram
>If one thing breaks you're in for at least a $300 fee just to get it looked at
>Giant heatsink taking up at least 40% of the case
>This design is engineering nirvana
no, ATX is engineering nirvana and no pajeet trashcan can compete

this is comical

so a tdp suitable for that form factor?

>attacked by sandnigger right?

uhh, yeah that was it

It's fucking retarded pham

make it a cuboid instead

>tiny
remember this is a device with a 27" screen, with at least 5 inches of bezel (including the bottom)
Those fans are at least 3 inches around
It's still probably going to throttle, but those sure as hell aint small fans

>even the old tower Mac Pros didn't really have a user upgradeable CPU

and yet I did

>Shudders remembering working on pieces of shit like that.

>Mac Pro design with heat pipes loud turbines and another big heat source
This thing is DOA
Apple resurrected the Mac Pro for a good reason

it's cute but cooling is nowhere near adequate for high power shit

would make a nice midrange desktop if they redesigned the internals to use a 65w cpu (i7-7700 or lower models for poorfags) and a decent full-fat gpu like the rx570 or 580

bit more balls than an imac without being forced to use an a*ple monitor

>would make a nice midrange desktop
fuck would have been so nice if this was i7/imac spec tier and price

I anticipate heat damage to the LCD.

>>Sorry no warranty. MFW Apple will accuse you of damaging it when it is an engineering oversight.

You will be sad. Get a Ryzen AIO if you need to save space on your desk.

>This design is engineering nirvana.
As someone with their masters in EE with a focus on circuit design, and 15 years in the industry, you are so full of shit.
This is a horrific design, for so many reasons. but sure. Keep jerking off to Apple products because they look pretty.

Think its clear Apple doesn't have a sensible ideology to ID, they fetishise things that are considered impossible or illogical to prove a point

even if the product suffers
I could list examples or I could just say go to apple.com/store and look at almost every product there

> a bunch of bullshit

whatever OP

anyway are they really coming out with a new modular mac pro soon? source?

And, it seems to have gotten worse since Jobs died, which is strange since Jobs was thought to be the one driving these kinds of engineering for the sake of form (the infamous "screws that hold nothing" in iBooks, etc.).

there's blog posts and shit everywhere about it, they called a handful of cunts into a meeting and admitted they fucked up and were working to fix it

imac pro is the first step there but they did promise a new modular mac pro was coming (but "not this year")

*starts up photoshop*

>laptop in a screen
yawn

Except this shit used to throttle and get hotter than it should. Its a engineering failure

you know nothing about apple.
Its all about style. Even engineering should have style, even if it wont work as it should, its beautiful and you can show to all your friends at starcucks the shit you paid 5000$

So it's a perfect comparison then.

What is iMac pro?

an meme

You are fucking morons. First of all the picture is of 27" display and the fans are huge.

Apple claims it is adequate to cool 500W of TDP since this time around they have server grade parts and none of that laptop shit.

Not like any of this matters though. Most of people are too poor and mentally challenged in Sup Forums to understand anything in first place

Can I build a tardis case around it?

Yes "laptop" with 18 cores, 128gb ram ecc, vega gpu. I'd like to know where can I get these kind of laptops

You can yawn to your dad who didn't pull out.

The trash can had better cooling than this and it's desktop processor had to throttle to 2ghz while playing youtube videos lmao.

AT BEST the overheating problem will be just as bad as the trash can.

Yep. He was visiting a kindergarten class.

>>Better thermals with just one fan
And increase noise because you need to push all of that air through all of that hardware.

I don't know man, that heatsink looks kinda small. Unless the fans spin at 1 million RPM I think this is gonna be Trash Can 2: The Rebirth.

I'm a massive Applefag but that design is fucking shit. Apple admitted it themselves.

What dumb shit is this? Apple invited reporters a couple months ago to the HQ to outline to them their plans for the now iMac Pro and the totally redesigned Mac Pro, intended to be a long serving machine with modularity. They literally said this themselves.

You've never used the trashcan have you? Yeah, no that's not how fans work. The point of it was one large fan spinning at a low RPM to move a lot of air. How don't you understand this?

You've never used the trashcan have you? Yeah, no that's not how fans work. The point of is was one useless fan struggling to move air through a cramped piece of shit with almost no ventilation or airflow whatsoever.

Air resistance and turbulence
enjoy your inefficient cooling

Things the Trashcan does well:
1) Be slower and more expensive than most other workstations of similar price
2) Give designers a boner but ONLY designers, engineers will quickly get why this is a bad design in practice AS WELL as even designers see it with the cables and uggggggggglllllllyyyyyyyy
3) Get exceptionally hot and loud when doing the one things it's meant to do

Otherwise it does other things okay for really expensive.

>Laptop which, when something on the mainboard dies they replace the mainboard but usually just recommend buying a new one since MOST of these laptops are sub-2k as an example of your 10k+ Mac Pro being serviceable in the same way.

Look, I know that you aren't a tech-fellow and think that shapes and colors equate to performance and value, but just stop giving them your damn money.
You fuckin' drunk.

"if apple just makes there UEFI less autistic"
Their.
So you're saying that, since they haven't done that, it is still a problem and therefore a point against until they DO do it.

What you're saying is basically vindicating his point.

>18 cores
Thought they said 8 cores. I know Ryzen id power efficient, but that's a bit of a stretch.

>Being a Macfag
>Being "into" Applel products
>Getting excited over Applel products
>Not knowing anything about tech
>Posting on Sup Forums
>Thinking you belong here or even remotely fit in

Please leave before someone hurts your fragile Macfag feelings

>engineering nirvana
>overheating trash
Pick one

Apple could literally just jam a RPi in an overpriced case and macfags wouldn't even notice as long as it ran macOS

He means form factor.
It's got an all in one design and cooler, meant to be proprietary and compact instead of following the industry standard for desktops which is modular parts.

Don't be willfully ignorant.

You can't fit rectangles in your anus, so I don't think so.

>SATA ports
Nah, just need more Thunderbolt ports.

External PCIe for lyfe!

>500W of TDP
>intel housefire 18 core cpu
>modern apple design with built in throttling

lol

it's true. industrial design are the high priests. the engineers must be brilliant because they do a pretty good job of minimizing the damage, but if utility is going to get in the way of aesthetics, aesthetics win every time.

>tiny laptop fans

Are you fucking blind or just retarded? They've got a diameter of like 3 inches and god knows the depth but they're at least a couple cm.

>Thought they said 8 cores.

You think it has 1 single SKU? Do you breathe from your mouth? Holy shit.

Oh, I see where I fucked up. I was thinking an actual laptop. Not the AIO screen thing.

So you didn't even read the previous post to which the person you replied to quoted. Then you started talking about Ryzen, which isn't even featured on any Apple computer right now. Nice going triptard.

They're not huge fans, except in comparison to laptop fans.
They are hardly adequate for the situation at hand though. They're definitely smaller than the blower fans you find on your top line GPUs.
The CPU and GPU coolers are solely reliant on two heatpipes each to move ALL the heat away from the chips to a SINGLE heatsink block.
It looks like the SSD is under the heatsink too, adding even more heat there.

This is just a terrible idea.

>trashcan == god design

This conditional expression when evaluated returns False

BOYCOTT STARKEKS

That's pretty nice, having great success with hp my whole life I might get one if I make it to a successful country like America. For now, India is my reality.

>I might get one if I make it to a successful country like America. For now, India is my reality.

Yeah, keep India as your only reality. Don't shit up America even more. Also, don't shit up Sup Forums even more. Isn't there a pajeetchan or 4street you can go shitpost on?

>were listening but decided to say fuck you
why did they do this shit

>Swap mobo/CPU combo board all at once since nobody exchanges just one on tower rigs anyways
Yeah... t-thanks (((Intel)))!

The only thing wrong with the trashcan design was they skimped on the cooling, if they made the entire center of it heat sink and put 2 fans on it one pulling the air out one pushing the air in that could've been a monster. However they skimped on that sows a throttling piece of shit that was loud with no real user serviceable parts, it was a cluster fuck.

The design is functional, the design could work, but you need need to make it about 1 1/2 maybe 2 times bigger than it is, you have to make the inside a heat sink, and a big heatsink it that to not only cool the CPU but also the GPU or GPU's, I forget if you put more than one in it.

>looks like a grill
Do you cook ribs in there?

It won't bring you a gf.

>no, ATX is engineering nirvana and no pajeet trashcan can compete

Yes. My collegues crapbox throttled to hell and back when rendering video.

>power user
>osx
??

>mfw all the shills were saying that surely apples designers knew how to design a good can.

Poor babby, never got to use OS X did you? Do you have any experience or any practical knowledge of it? Or are you a gaymur Windows babby?

>modular
breddy gud.
>everything is proprietary and overpriced
lolnope.