Why do people care so much about brands on this board? Just buy whichever is better price to performance

Why do people care so much about brands on this board? Just buy whichever is better price to performance..

Certain brands spy on you (Asus, Apple) while others lie about specifications (Xiaomi, Nvidia).

poorfag confirmed

their purchases validate their ego which is a characteristic of a shallow person

there's a lot of people who've been successfully manipulated by marketing into feeling an emotional attachment to inanimate objects, or to desiring group membership and approval with other people who buy the same shit.

ONE TIME
NVIDIA DIDN'T TELL THE WHOLE TRUTH ONE TIME
FUCK OFF

This, I understand. I'll avoid spying and cheating companies, for sure.
Uh, okay.
I guess I get that, too. I usually feel pretty good about buying new pens, so I'm pretty much under that label too.

Price to performance is only half the story. There is a legitimate emotional aspect and commodity fetishization, even price/performances is a kind of fetishization to pragmatic minimalist or cynical people. Also when you're not a tech person and/or you're older with some money you go for things that make you feel status or show status.

cobrastan is not a real country

Conversely to this, certain brands have better customer support or a long running history of good business practices that should be rewarded so they can continue.

It barely matters anymore unless you're a gamertard, child with a hyperactivity disorder that loses their shit over microseconds or a faggot who wants to play pretend sysadmin but can't afford a real server setup.

So with all things equal, I might as well choose something with good support that looks nice while it does it.

I mean, I'm none of those things but I don't care for my router phoning home to ANUS. Newer ones even have a seperate board for this that the user can't feasibly flash without being on at least 6 autisms.

I wasn't criticizing that point at all, actually, just the idea of only going for performance in an age where comparing theoretical peaks on benchmarks mean fucking nothing for 95% of tasks within a given market segment, you'll get something good on that front no matter what in 2017.

1. Group mentality. Feeling better, because they think now they're in the Apple/Intel/whatever group, where the cool kids are.
2. Shills.

>shills
It's always nice to see new visitors to Sup Forums but if you're not ready to accept that this isn't Reddit then you probably should go back there.

They're useful idiots. They fall for the brands' ploy to make people faithful to them so that they do the advertising for them for free on forums and social medias by always getting into petty arguments about brands. As you can see, it works very well, and it saves the brand owners some major marketing budget!

This

>one time
>implying

It's to compensate for small penis.

Some brands have better quality than others. Some brands have good customer support (EVGA) and some are awful (ASUS).

when did xiaomi lie?

>"how many autisms are you on"
>"like enough to flash the telemetry on a modern router my dude"
>"you are like a little baby. watch this"
>"YOU'RE WAIFU A SHIT"

Because consumer shit has the best price to performance and the worst longevity.

How is complaining about shills an indicator of being a redditor? Sup Forums has been complaining about the alleged exisitance paid shills on the board since forever ago.