/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, AND W/HP SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Battery-52-6-Cell-0A36286-ThinkPad-X220t-X220-Tablet-X220i-/132190206671?hash=item1ec7267acf:g:M08AAOSwcgNZFJXw
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Core-i5-2-5Ghz-4GB-320GB-Webcam-Windows-7-Pro-12-5-Laptop-/401180956323#viTabs_0
notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Elitebook-2570p-B6Q10EA-Notebook.82051.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

FIRST FOR MACBOOKS!

first for hail the dell e6440

chinknovo fags wish they had this.

Post thinkpad and coffee right now!

>imafuckingfag the picture quite literally
kys yourself m8

>Kys poster
I bet you frog post too faggot

frogposting is immortal lad

just bought an x220 with an i5 off of ebay for $115, bit excited

You should have paid 50 max.

never found anything under a hundred that wasn't badly damaged to the point that you needed to invest way more to repair

lurk moar

Looking at a new T450s on ebay. Posting says it comes with three year manufacturer warranty.

Is that three year warranty starting from the T450s was bought by the reseller or from when I receive it?

>Is that three year warranty starting from the T450s was bought by the reseller or from when I receive it?
are you by chance, a little bit on the spectrum?

Fuck, I edited it without reading it again.
Should be:
>Is that three year warranty starting from when the T450s was bought by the reseller or from when I receive it?
Not hard to figure out, desu, so you might be on the spectrum.

that's not how warranties work retard.

So how do they work? I don't know so I am asking you fucking sperg.

Has anyone here replaced the LCD screen on a x200?

I have this x200 with libreboot, and yesterday I got my AFFS. I previously checked that I had CCFL, and installed the screen with no so much incidence. (Although I had to remove the tactile glass from the AFFS).

The thing is, that when the screen turns on, the inverter goes *beeeeEEEEEP* and the screen goes off. If i manage to restart the screen (say, by attaching a secondary monitor) and lower the brightness before the beep death occurs, the screen stays on, but very very dim.

Is it possible that I have a short in the AFFS panel? (how could I check?) Or is libreboot handling the inverter wrong? (could be, because since I installed it, the inverter beeps if the screen brightness is set to less than 100%).

Has anyone run into these kind of problems?

>libreboot
>Windows 7

The photo in is a result from google. It's not my x200.

Lads, i need some quick opinions

I can get this for 1000 AUD

good idea?

>7th generation i7
>Acceptable Nvidia 940M
>Shitton of RAM

Looks good. That OS tho...

Wait for Ozbargain deals, saw similar config for like $800 other day

comfy 2570p

Is Thinkpad X301 for ~$130 alright?
Is it much different from T410 that I'm using right now?
Should I get it and sell the T410?

>comfy 2570p
the goat

it's really slow but it's one of my favorite lenovo chinkpads. the keyboard is goat.

Thanks, I guess I'll keep the T410. I'm quite satisfied with its performance. It's a pity that I can't play games on it though.

kek

sry for this, I need advice regarding a thinkpad x301, is it really underpowered for office, web broswing listetnig to music and watching videos and ofc shitposting

Yes.

Posting my post from previous thread, because I didn't get any answers.
>So am in pajeetland for a business trip and I'm thinking of buying a t420(150-180$) here. Do you think pajeets can scam me by replacing original internals with duplicate, substandard ones? If so, which parts should I be aware of that can be duplicated ones?

Save up for a T430 if you wanna game
Pic rel
I posted this last thread to show the T430 didn't overheat under real world load

They might replace the thermal paste with poo.
Okay serious answer this time, the only parts worth a shit are the cpu, ram, battery and charger. Maybe the HDD. Worst case you get a busted HDD, worn or fake battery and a knock off charger which even in europooristan is like 50 usd for all three.
So if it boots it's probably fine
I'd carry a copy of your favorite benchmark, preferably something lightweight like Intel burn test and maybe some hardware info program though I guess device manager works too for just checking the specs
Oh and don't forget to check for the regular shit
Bios password, computrace, physical damage, overheating, cum(or poo) under the keys
Just because they a different type of brown don't mean they don't steal

Any one have chinkpad guide in .jpg? I know it's outdated but still.

Can I get an answer, pls?

1. How to tell if they battery in a used x220/230 is genuine or not?

2. How is 768p vs 1080p for reading PDFs and ebooks?

More:
3. I used to have an Acer laptop back from 2001. By 2006 years screen became very dim even at max settings. Do x220/230 suffer from that? What's the rule of thumb when screen is on its way out?

4. What software tools should I use test used thinkpad when shopping around?

5. When traveling, what screwdriver type will suffice to remove all screws?

Is this battery ok to purchase for an x220? I am buying one without a battery. Any concerns I should have about it being listed as not tested, but sealed?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Battery-52-6-Cell-0A36286-ThinkPad-X220t-X220-Tablet-X220i-/132190206671?hash=item1ec7267acf:g:M08AAOSwcgNZFJXw

1. doesn't really matter, they're going to be out of warranty anyways, it either holds a charge or it doesn't

2. subjective, depends on dpi if you ask me, 1366x768 at 12.5" works fine IMO

3. modern LED backlit screens don't really dim or wear out like that

4. would not bother, if it boots into the BIOS it will tell you what CPU it has and how much RAM it has, it'll also tell you the model number and serial number which you can look up on Lenovo's site that tell you the original hardware specs, usually these things either function or they don't, so as long as its physically OK and powers on then it should work fine

5. a small phillips head screwdriver, magnetized would be handy

Why is linux support for pen and touch input so SHIT?
Windows 10 is fantastic by comparison.

serious question, i have a x220 and I notice the battery drains over night when i put it into sleep mode, im using linux mint

any solutions??

no, a tablet battery will not work in the non-tablets

and being a $15 battery... it's probably junk

...shut it down? sleep mode is low power usage not no power usage

it goes from 90% to 30% overnight, is that normal??

what condition is the battery in? no that's probably not normal

1. Ok, but I still want to know.
Are non-genuine as good as genuine?

2. Is 768p easier in the eyes than 1080p for reading?

3. ok

4. How would I test memory, whether laptop overheats and etc though?

5. ok

its oem battery bought from lenovo, capacity is 100%

Is this a good deal on a x220?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Core-i5-2-5Ghz-4GB-320GB-Webcam-Windows-7-Pro-12-5-Laptop-/401180956323#viTabs_0

1. they can be
2. yes, no, maybe, depends on the screen quality, size, DPI, how far away you're sitting
4. memory either works or it doesn't, overheating can be fixed easily

install TLP

>no pictures of a used product
I would not, also you can get X230's for

>install TLP
installed since day one

Anyone got charge balancing to work on Linux? I'm aware that it is supported with the tp-smapi module, but it is only partially supported on the t420...

Thanks user! I will go with the x230 as you have suggested. If I am getting it to learn Java will I be ok with the i5 or do I need an i7? I will also plan on maxing out the ram, installing a ssd, and running Ubuntu.

for programming you probably want the old style keyboard of the x220, on the x220 i7 has a usb 3.0 port, i5 only 2.0

>NVidia 940MX
>Acceptable

Why even bother, dGPUs in T series are and always have been shitty last-gen G*108 chips. The only thing they do is make using Linux on them 1000x harder.

t. T430 + NVS 5400m owner

do all x220 models have mSATA slot?
my is 4291TGP how do i find out?

>T series
Fuck, meant ThinkPads other than P/W series.

You can learn java even on a pentium 4 so the i5 will be more than enough

>do all x220 models have mSATA slot?

yes

>overheating can be fixed easily
How?

by cleaning the fan and vents usually, it's not rocket science

Thank you m8, big help!

I found a w520 with 8gb ram an i7 2670qm a 320gb hdd for $250 should I buy it

What do we have here

WHERE DO I GO ON THIS NEPALESE BASKET WEAVING FORUM IF I WANT TO DISCUSS BIGGER LAPTOPS?

A shaky fucking hand

>not quad core
>hd4000
>gayming
unless you enter full autism mode and get quad core CPU with 1,30/1,35GHz iGPU and 2133MHz RAM this will be painful to use.

>literally 55 ish fps on mgstpp on low @ 720p with trash tier ram
Whatever you say man

W series, P70/P71, 8770W with dreamcolor or you go to if you want a pile of shit with "good" hardware

>playing shit games with lowest settings possible

>he expects to max out games with a 5 yeah year old igpu
You okay?

>buy x220
>install 1080p ips mod

>buy pajeet book
>1366x768 tn forever

ok, i created a walkthrough list when shopping for a used Thinkpad:

>look over the laptop for any signs of physical damage and cum under the keyboard. slightly shake it and listen for any loose components.
>ask if you can take off the lid to look at the internals(memory, cpu, hdd/ssd, wifi)
>turn on the laptop and let it boot to OS. listen for any unusual noises
>look at the screen for any dead/stuck pixels and etc
>reboot laptop into BIOS/UEFI and check to make sure: no supervisor password, computrace is disabled, check cpu and memory specs
>on lenovo website check the service tag for stock specs and warranty
>restart and boot into OS, open a notepad app and test all the keyboard keys
>check with speccy for temperatures
>open web browser go to YouTube and play a vid in 1080p at full volume(no meme vids, don't make the seller uncomfortable, something normie like the "wrecking ball" song will do)
>test wifi and wifi button
>test all ports
>test power adapter and check battery info via preinstalled lenovo battery app(if it isn't installed punch seller in the face then continue)
>if circumstances allow form it, download and play a ranked match of Heroes Of The Storm on low-med settings

what else would you add?

>you can either play on minimal settings or maximum settings!
you're logic. Literally autism.
>buy x220
>dual core trash subcpu forever

>buy HP 2570p
>quad core unlocked i7-3940xm, faster CPU than desktop-class i7-3770k
>install 1080 ips mod
>install 2 SSDs in RAID0 and get 1.2GBps read/write speeds
>install 16GB 2133MT/s RAM (not available in x220/x230)
>install intel 7260ac card
fix'd for you.

>cry because you just spent $1000 upgrade on a piece of shit

type into google "thinkpad X220 vs hp 2570p" and get shit on, son

>being forced to buy old cumstained shitpads because mom doesn't want to give you more money
>crying over literally pocket money being spent on upgrading best 12,5" subnotebook ever produced
Try to find a job instead of shitposting from your NEETpad, senpai.

Why would I google anything when I just proved that x220 is inferior in every aspect?
Use your own words instead of telling someone to visit google, kid.

Why don't you own a fhd pajeet book then?

It should be the first and most desirable upgrade.

>when your $100 laptop turns into a $800 laptop

why

lol you're in denial
see

>It should be the first and most desirable upgrade.
For you maybe?
1366x768 is perfect in my mobile use. No need to increase power consumption and hurt my eyes just to prove something to some autistic NEETs on Sup Forums.
>$800
If you count external 24" lelnopevovo IPS screen, 960 4GB eGPU, USB 3.0 dock station and extra battery, etc. maybe. Otherwise bare laptop with 6cell option and PSU cost me $400 so far.

see
and
you dumb shitposter

>he expects mid tier graphics from a 5 year old igpu on a game that literally lists a gtx 650 as its minimum when your igpu is basically a slightly shittier gt 440
Are you fucking autistic by any chance

My 1.30GHz HD4000 with 2133MT/s RAM and modded drivers handles BF4 with medium/high settings and native resolution at 40FPS.
Are you retarded by any chance?
>inb4 posts some retarded benchmark with no understanding how intel iGPUs performance varies between CPU models
kys

This is an extremely stupid question.
How did you get used to using the TrackPoint?
Are there certain configs to make it much more useful?

I'm using a quad core too you shit bag
It's literally a worse 440

lol nice projecting.
no one cares about you or your shitbox

whatever kid, hd4000 is pretty good if properly upgraded and if it always works at turbo clocks (which HP ensured in their BIOS, unlike lelnovo lel)
nice shitposting. At first tell stupid shit - gets told. Then responds with shit. Gets told again. Now responds with some more shit and says "noone cares". Yet you respond everytime.
Contain yourself autismo.

The black pill:

Nobody will upgrade their $150 2012 laptop beyond maybe the panel.

X220 offers a popular, documented path to a drop-in FHD mod.

2570p requires dremeling the entire lid of the laptop in half to make room, leaving a disgusting metal scar. Then you have to adjust the panel with Styrofoam and tape so it somewhat aligns with the bezel.

It's 1366x768. It's TN.

notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Elitebook-2570p-B6Q10EA-Notebook.82051.0.html

The brightness is dogshit. It's 185 lumens vs 800 lumens on modern smartphones. You would barely be able to view the screen in a well lit room.

The contrast at 150 is unbelievably bad rivaling the T420. It should be illegal to offer such a display to consumers.

Let's face it, you are using such a dogshit screen because you are forced to. You have no path of upgrade outside of sawing the lid in half.

Okay,

I want 8GB ram, an SSD, 1050Ti or 1060 GPU, screen size 15.6"+, 1080p+.

No budget really

>It's 1366x768
Which is enough for MY needs. Also 90% of laptop users, since this is the most used resolution in all laptop segment, including business.
>It's TN.
Again, it's good. It's power efficient (unlike IPS), it doesn't hurt eyes and it doesn't wear so fast like IPS.
>m-m-muh lumens!
You're fucking retarded, and you clearly don't understand why smartphones got such bright screens. No, it's not to rape battery life, it's to ensure visibility in full sun.
and you're still trying to imply this screen is bad and I shouldn't use it, while I really enjoy it and find it much better than my previous T430 1600x900 cancer tier trash.
Try harder. Also provide source on this "sawing the lid in half" bullshit.

haha because i don't need to prove shit to you, motherfucker

if you really want to be told that badly then here

>ahhaah I can shitpost all day and basically I'm fucking stupid, hahaahah
Typical cancer. Leave
And I already responded to this bullshit. With actual argument, unlike your stupid-ass shitposting attempts.

Link me to a drop in upgrade for the 2570p that doesn't require sawing the lid in half and I'll provide a handwritten apology.

a desktop

Link me to the upgrade instruction of 2570p screen that involves sawing the lid in half and I'll consider proving you wrong once again.

we get it. you would marry your shitbox if you could. good for you. but you don't need to shove it down our throats. 1 of your (enlightening) posts could have been enough.
the fact that you have the need defend yourself shows huge amount of insecurity about your pos laptop and your life choices in general.

xD

God damnit I'm starting to really enjoy defending 2570p in every /tpg/ I visit.
You guys are worse lenovo shills than paid support pajeets on lenovo forums.
Daily reminder: HP is an American company, while lelnovo belongs to gooks.